The Everything NFL Thread - 2017-18 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Zeke got suspended 6 games even though he was never charged, which continues to prove how terrible the NFL's suspension policy is given that Ray Rice/Josh Brown got 2/1 game suspensions after actually getting charged.

Also the Bills traded up in 2014 to nab Sammy Watkins, then decided to decline his player option despite Watkins being one of the best talents on the team, and then decide to trade him to the Rams?? I get that Watkins is injury prone, but that whole sequence of events is a bit mind-boggling to me.

EDIT: ok now that I think about it, the Bills trades weren't really bad, especially considering they have so many picks next year and probably wouldn't have been very good this year, but the whole Watkins situation was just massive wasted potential in the end.

Last edited:
So Zeke got suspended 6 games even though he was never charged, which continues to prove how terrible the NFL's suspension policy is given that Ray Rice/Josh Brown got 2/1 game suspensions after actually getting charged.
The only way the league is going to get better at addressing DV is if every case is handled independently. There is literally a video of Zeke sexually assaulting someonefact on the internet. That alone is worth a ban under the policy, regardless what they found about the other case.

Zeke can appeal but unless he has new evidence it'll never be overturned. The Brady case "proved" that Goodell can ban indiscriminately, and given the evidence Zeke seems to have against him and the fact that the policy does not have to have him charged or convicted with a crime means that he's shit out of luck.

Anyone who accuses the league of a double standard needs to be angry about the Josh Brown case anyway, not about this one.

The extent to which Cowboys fans/Jerry Jones challenge Goodell/the league on this will also be interesting.

Casting your lot in with an alleged abuser without knowing all the evidence isn't exactly the smartest thing to do.

Ravens fans and Steve Bisciotti learned that the hard way a few years back.
The Brady case "proved" that Goodell can ban indiscriminately
This, fans (and owners) had the perfect hill to die on last year, but declined and lost their best opportunity to change things.
Anyone who accuses the league of a double standard needs to be angry about the Josh Brown case anyway, not about this one.
This is a good representation of the league's dartboard disciplinary policy (and the Giants/Mara Family having favored nation status with Goodell.)

Alright folks, two questions for the upcoming Fantasy Draft. I am in a keeper league, which makes things slightly weird. The two things I am stuck on is whether I keep Tyreek Hill or Terrell Pryor for my 11th round pick, as well as if there is an argument for me taking Shady (McCoy) with the third overall pick, with David Johnson, Jay Ajayi, Howard, and Melvin Gordon all being keepers. That is assuming Leveon being taken by one or two of course, just curious with so many big backs being off the table, as well as Elliot's susp. Open to opinions of course, very well could take Antonio or Julio.

Also apologies if in posted in wrong forum.

Last edited:
Someone tell me the sense of a network changing their programming in a flash, fucking their viewers. Set a game to record I the morning, come back home to see A Football Life saved instead. The slot is still named with the Seattle vs LA and at the beginning of the recording, a little ad/bumper that the game is next. Called a relative and the game was on the local channel, but I set to record on NFLN because higher quality, why not. Such bullshit. Next time the game will replay is Wednesday.

Someone tell me the sense of a network changing their programming in a flash, fucking their viewers. Set a game to record I the morning, come back home to see A Football Life saved instead. The slot is still named with the Seattle vs LA and at the beginning of the recording, a little ad/bumper that the game is next. Called a relative and the game was on the local channel, but I set to record on NFLN because higher quality, why not. Such bullshit. Next time the game will replay is Wednesday.
NFLN shows their games nationwide unless you're in the local market(s), in which case they have to be blacked out so the viewers are "forced" to funnel viewership thru local channels. same reason NFL Sunday Ticket doesn't show local games, you have to watch them on Fox/CBS. it's pretty silly. worse is when the game is blacked out in the local market, so they do the same thing to encourage fans to attend games while out of market viewers can still watch them on TV!

Alright folks, two questions for the upcoming Fantasy Draft. I am in a keeper league, which makes things slightly weird. The two things I am stuck on is whether I keep Tyreek Hill or Terrell Pryor for my 11th round pick, as well as if there is an argument for me taking Shady (McCoy) with the third overall pick, with David Johnson, Jay Ajayi, Howard, and Melvin Gordon all being keepers. That is assuming Leveon being taken by one or two of course, just curious with so many big backs being off the table, as well as Elliot's susp. Open to opinions of course, very well could take Antonio or Julio.

Also apologies if in posted in wrong forum.
Pryor is an athletic freak in a pass heavy offense. Hill is about the same in a run heavy offense. Cousins >> Alex Smith, so it's a pretty easy choice imo. Hill might have some explosive plays but nowhere near as frequently as he did last season (...probably).

DJ > Leveon Bell > A.Brown > Julio > McCoy should be everyone's top 5 imo. Lots of reasons McCoy should have a good season. Keeper league means fewer RBs in general, so might be that you should strongly prefer a RB over one of the top two WRs. Any one of those three is a great choice at 3rd overall but it'd really depend on league size and number of keepers at each position (lots of available RBs or a small league size, go with one of the top 2 WRs. very little chance you regret it)

NFLN shows their games nationwide unless you're in the local market(s), in which case they have to be blacked out so the viewers are "forced" to funnel viewership thru local channels. same reason NFL Sunday Ticket doesn't show local games, you have to watch them on Fox/CBS. it's pretty silly. worse is when the game is blacked out in the local market, so they do the same thing to encourage fans to attend games while out of market viewers can still watch them on TV!

Pryor is an athletic freak in a pass heavy offense. Hill is about the same in a run heavy offense. Cousins >> Alex Smith, so it's a pretty easy choice imo. Hill might have some explosive plays but nowhere near as frequently as he did last season (...probably).

DJ > Leveon Bell > A.Brown > Julio > McCoy should be everyone's top 5 imo. Lots of reasons McCoy should have a good season. Keeper league means fewer RBs in general, so might be that you should strongly prefer a RB over one of the top two WRs. Any one of those three is a great choice at 3rd overall but it'd really depend on league size and number of keepers at each position (lots of available RBs or a small league size, go with one of the top 2 WRs. very little chance you regret it)
Yeah, it's a 12-man league, so decent sized. Just feel like I should be worried about solid RB's.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
diff between brady and zeke is that the former almost definitely played a part in wrongdoing while the latter is merely a prime example of why you don't stick your dick in crazy

The real blame falls on the NFLPA for being a bunch of weak little shits in the first place, though. Most popular sport in MURICA by a mile, least powerful players' union by a metric fuckton of miles. Hmm, maybe it's a simple inverse relationship. That'd explain why baseball is boring as shit.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
The real bait is your post but I'll bite anyway.

I didn't say Brady deserved to be punished, that's an entirely different matter. But "The Deflator?" Get real. He's as guilty as OJ, which is to say he technically isn't by the letter of the law but everyone knows it happened. If nothing else, OJ paid out the nose in civil court later as Brady was punished by Goodell. And frankly, unpopular opinion time, I think employers need to get their fucking noses out of their employee's private lives anyway and Brady's sort of actions, which have direct implications on the game, should be punished harder than the typical drug and DV shit that gets most players suspended. (also it highlights the absurdity of some of the NFL's rules like really who the fuck cares why does the ball pressure range need to be so strict anyway)

Zeke's accusor literally ADMITTED TO LYING WITH MALICIOUS INTENT TO GET ZEKE IN TROUBLE. As such, it was an open-and-shut case legally, because he clearly did nothing wrong. Then Fuckass was all like "you know what I think we should punish him anyway just to make sure she didn't waste her time" or some shit, who knows. He's actively encouraging shit like this to continue by proving that yes, it still works! Like, you know that shit fucking harms REAL victims by hurting their collective credibility, right? Nevermind the players whose careers are also being hurt by false allegations. Fuck you, Goodell.

Additionally, as a Cowboys fan, fuck you, Goodell.

Brady's sort of actions, which have direct implications on the game
direct implications on the game
direct implications
What has more of an impact on a football game?

.002 lbs of air pressure (a number completely indiscernible to every single human being on this planet)

OR

a motivating pregame text from a player's mom that says "Good luck my little angel make momma proud"

I'd say the latter has roughly 10x the impact (depending on how much each player loves his mom ofc)
Brady's sort of actions should be punished harder than the typical drug and DV shit that gets most players suspended
Lemme just throw out a quick scenario here to understand what you're trying to say.

A group of 20 NFL players commit the grave misdeed of taking .002 lbs of air pressure (a number completely indiscernible to every single human being on this planet) out of a football by accidentally squeezing them to hard in pregame warmups.

Being a man of the utmost integrity, you the NFL commissioner decide to suspend them all for 4 games, because we simply can't have players compromising the integrity of the game.

Then a group of 20 NFL players beat the shit of their wives/GFs

While this act is truly appalling, its nothing compared to the heinous crime of taking .002 lbs of air pressure out of a football (a number completely indiscernible to every single human being on this planet in case you didn't know)

So you decide to give each of those guys a 3 game suspension, because well yanno, hey what they didn't really impact the game right?

We all gotta make a stand against something I guess.

Last edited:
I think the point is that wife beating is a legal offense/crime that should be handled by the legal courts, while messing with air pressure (though indiscernable to a human hand) is an offense that directly correlates to the game of football. Goodell has no business punishing players for something that has no correlation with football. That is to be done by the legal system. I still believe wife beaters are pieces of shit and should be banned from work but it needs to be litigated by the law, not the NFL. /endrant

I think the point is that wife beating is a legal offense/crime that should be handled by the legal courts, while messing with air pressure (though indiscernable to a human hand) is an offense that directly correlates to the game of football. Goodell has no business punishing players for something that has no correlation with football. That is to be done by the legal system. I still believe wife beaters are pieces of shit and should be banned from work but it needs to be litigated by the law, not the NFL. /endrant
The "indiscernable by human hand" part is dubious. Drew Brees proved a QB can discern the difference in pressure in a second.

is an offense that directly correlates to the game of football
No one has ever come close to proving this in any way shape or form. If anything the only case study to use here would be Tom Brady post deflategate and spoiler:
it didn't make a fkn difference

Goodell has no business punishing players for something that has no correlation with football. That is to be done by the legal system
No he does. If players do some fucked up shit like beating their GF/wife/kid they deserve to be suspended regardless of what happens with the legal system. If a player commits an act of domestic violence but the victim refuses to press charges or doesn't cooperate with the investigation (which happens an awful fucking lot in these cases and can lead to the prosecutor giving up on the case) the player still deserves to be punished, not just because they're an awful person, but also because their actions reflect badly on the NFL.

The fact that every person doesn't agree with this just proves how much of an incompetent nematode Rodger Goodell is when it comes to handling discipline.
The "indiscernable by human hand" part is dubious. Drew Brees proved a QB can discern the difference in pressure in a second.
I'm not gonna bother looking for this video because its probably him in the early days of deflategate comparing like 2 different footballs that have like over a lb worth of difference in air pressure which shows that people still don't understand what Tom Brady was actually suspended for.

No one has ever come close to proving this in any way shape or form. If anything the only case study to use here would be Tom Brady post deflategate and spoiler:
it didn't make a fkn difference

No he does. If players do some fucked up shit like beating their GF/wife/kid they deserve to be suspended regardless of what happens with the legal system. If a player commits an act of domestic violence but the victim refuses to press charges or doesn't cooperate with the investigation (which happens an awful fucking lot in these cases and can lead to the prosecutor giving up on the case) the player still deserves to be punished, not just because they're an awful person, but also because their actions reflect badly on the NFL.

The fact that every person doesn't agree with this just proves how much of an incompetent nematode Rodger Goodell is when it comes to handling discipline.

I'm not gonna bother looking for this video because its probably him in the early days of deflategate comparing like 2 different footballs that have like over a lb worth of difference in air pressure which shows that people still don't understand what Tom Brady was actually suspended for.

Saved you a search.

Saved you a search.
Ya that's a difference of 2 lbs in air pressure which is clearly detectable but completely irrelevant to deflate gate, i'm talking about a difference of .002 or .020 I can't remember the exact number that the NFL came up with up. The problem here is people still think Brady was punished for taking over 2 lbs of air pressure out of the footballs pregame. I mean the info is online, all you need to do is google it.....
How in the fuck do y'all still insist that there was even a fucking actual thing.
The NFL has obviously earned their trust with its countless examples of transparency, fairness and scientific accuracy over the years.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Brady basically got thrown in NFL jail for a month, and his reputation dragged through the mud for months before and after, for going 1 MPH over the speed limit while otherwise being a safe and attentive driver. It's fucking dumb, I never said it wasn't and never implied that he deserved anything more than a slap on the wrist if any punishment at all. But he did technically break rules, at least beyond a reasonable doubt in my eyes since hey we don't have 100% incontrovertible evidence. Now can we stop talking about D********** again? :pirate:

Zeke has gotten treated significantly worse for driving while black. This is not an ambiguous case where the alleged victim was likely paid off or otherwise coerced into not cooperating with authorities to help indict the perp, e.g. Greg Hardy. Zeke was legally exonerated because the evidence outright proves he is the victim, of false allegations! Easy open and shut case. He didn't even really put himself in an obviously questionable situation like the usual drinking and partying hard shit that gets a lot of players into trouble, he just chose to socialize with someone who ended up being a pretty crummy human being in hindsight. At worst, it was bad judgement on his part to give this woman the time of day at all. Then Goodell comes along like some fucking psychopath and decides Zeke needs to be punished for being a victim? The fuck is wrong with you, bro?

NFLPA, please grow some fucking balls in 2021.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
No it never mattered. Especially since the Patriots offense improved after the balls were reinflated to regulation standards. It just baffles me how there is literal actual evidence that says "yeah they should've been that exact PSI if they were inflated to roughly regulation before the game" and people still insist on going "THEY BROKE THE RULES".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)