ORAS PU 四畳半神話大系 [The Tatami Galaxy]

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a defending SCL Champion

"There is no such thing as that rose-coloured campus life. Why? Because there is nothing rose-coloured in the world. Everything is all a bunch of colours mixed up, you see" - 私

Hey everyone. I'm relatively new to PU, only picking it up in May of this year. I've slowly come to love PU as a tier and a community over my time here, improving leaps and bounds as a player over that same span. With ORAS winding up, I thought I'd showcase one of the first builds that I created utilizing the famous Muk + Trapinch core. The core has slowly grown to become more and more popular as the metagame has progressed, gaining initial exposure after I managed to win the first PU Open using teams almost exclusively from this archetype. I used a slightly edited version of this team when facing PDC in the PU Open Finals. Muk + Trapinch has seen countless evolutions since that time, but I thought it'd be nice to throwback to one of the original builds that started this all off.

Muk + Trapinch is obviously the basis of this team, a basic sweeper + trapper core that utilizes Trapinch's ability to reliably trap a variety of Steel-, Ground-, and Psychic-types to support Curse Muk as a win condition.

Zebstrika was the first addition, benefitting from Trapinch's ability to trap and remove a variety of Ground-types as well as Chinchou. Zebstrika is a great catch-all when facing most offensive teams, whilst also comprising some surprising defensive utility thanks to Lightning Rod.

Golem provides Stealth Rock, whilst also comprising great defensive role compression, checking the likes of Stoutland and Muk.

Leafeon brings a Water- and Ground-type resist, checking the likes of Floatzel and Golem. Leafeon also provides the team with a secondary boosting win condition, and is a means to pressure more defensive teams.

Vullaby rounds out the team by providing Defog support, a Psychic immunity, and also acting as a blanket physical check to a number of Pokemon not covered by Golem.

"I could see each 4.5 tatami room had its own color to it"

Muk @ Black Sludge | Sticky Hold
252 HP / 8 Def / 236 SpD / 12 Spe | Careful
Poison Jab

Curse

Sleep Talk

Rest

As one of the 5 drops from back in August, Muk's introduction to PU was a relatively inconspicuous one, overshadowed by the arrival of Cacturne, as well as the return of Pelipper. Fast-forward to October, Muk is one of only 3 S-Ranked Pokemon, and arguably the single most defining Pokemon of the current metagame. Muk's effectiveness as a win condition is only matched by its consistency as a blanket special wall, boasting absurd special bulk that, with investment, avoids the 3HKO from just about every non-Psychic-type special attacker that the tier has to offer. Muk is the team's main switchin to a variety of top-tier threats from Rotom-F to Cacturne to Clefairy.

Posion Jab is Muk's main STAB, and only attacking option. A handy 30% to poison make it an easily spammable move that wears down common Muk switchins such as Golem and Relicanth if the dice roll in your favour. Curse is the setup move of choice, boosting Muk's Defense and Attack in a single turn, whilst Rest provides a semi-reliable means of recovery. Sleep Talk ensures Muk is not passive whilst it is asleep, allowing it to keep setting up Curses, or firing off attacks even if asleep.

Maximum HP and heavy Special Defense investment allows Muk to reliably pivot in to, and avoid the 3HKO from almost any special attacker in the tier from Floatzel to Cacturne, which grants it ample setup opportunities throughout a match. 8 Defense EVs allows Muk to avoid the OHKO from Stoutland's Choice Band-boosted Frustration after Stealth Rock. 12 Speed EVs creep uninvested base 50s, allowing Muk to switch in to, and recover on the likes of Audino, Prinplup, Regice, as well as opposing Muk.

- - - - - -

"Grab the opportunity dangling in front of your eyes"

Trapinch @ Eviolite | Arena Trap
248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD | Careful
Earthquake

Toxic

Sleep Talk

Rest

Whilst Trapinch's role as a trapper is nothing new, RestTalk Trapinch is, as far as I'm aware, a relatively new invention in PU. RestTalk Trapinch functions somewhat different from regular 3 Attack sets, able to trap the likes of Chinchou and Audino thanks to its combination of decent special bulk in combination with Rest and Sleep Talk. Trapinch's main role on the team is to trap a variety of Ground-, Steel-, and Psychic-types to pave the way for Muk.

A shortlist of the Pokemon that RestTalk Trapinch can trap and remove include: Curse Muk, Mr. Mime, Grumpig, Stunfisk, Metang, Kadabra, Arbok, Probopass, Camerupt, Zebstrika, Electrode, Audino, Raichu, Chinchou, and Ninetales.

Trapinch's Special Defense investment maximises the likelihood that it will avoid the 3HKO from Chinchou's Scald, allowing Trapinch to reliably trap and remove it from play. The remaining 28 EVs go into Defense, optimising damage rolls when facing Psyshock users such as Mr. Mime and Grumpig, whilst also ensuring Trapinch will avoid the OHKO from Mawile's Play Rough.

- - - - - -

"The 4.5 tatami room is a truly beautiful square"

Zebstrika @ Life Orb | Lightning Rod
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | Timid
Thunderbolt

Volt Switch

Overheat

Hidden Power

Zebstrika is a Pokemon that I find so easy to splash on to just about any team I'm building, and is fantastic Pokemon when facing a variety of teams from balance to hyper offense. A perfect fit for this team, Zebstrika thrives alongside Trapinch's support, which removes a variety of Electric-type checks such as Chinchou, Stunfisk, and Audino along with a slew of others. Zebstrika is used alongside Leafeon to provide the team with an offensive checks to a number of common offensive threats from Floatzel to Jumpluff.

Thunderbolt and Volt Switch are obligatory STAB moves, whilst Overheat roasts Steel- and Grass-types that may be able to sponge Zebstrika's Electric STAB. Hidden Power [Water] is mainly used for the immediacy when facing Golem, since offensive variants are somewhat threatening and can be difficult for this team to switch in to.

EVs are standard; max Speed, max Special Attack. 29 IVs in HP to hit a Life Orb number.

Other Options: Hidden Power [Ice] can be a worthwhile option to hit the likes of Vibrava and Gabite.

- - - - - -

"Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-Proxy-War"

Golem @ Leftovers | Sturdy
248 HP / 16 Def / 192 SpD / 52 Spe | Impish
Rock Blast

Earthquake

Stealth Rock

Protect

Golem's splashability and consistency as a Stealth Rock user is second to none, this combined with its capability to provide comprehensive defensive role compression is one of the main reasons it currently boasts one of the highest rates in the tier. Golem serves as the team's primary check to the likes of Stoutland and Muk, whilst also providing a reliable secondary check to Electric-types. Having a backup check to Electric-types is highly valuable support for this team as there will often be games when Trapinch is require to trap and remove a threat such as Ninetales, Grumpig, or Mr. Mime, likely being put out of commission in the process. The rest of the team struggles when facing Electric-types, so Golem's ability to step in and fill the void is something that the team highly values.

Rock Blast and Earthquake provide Golem with STAB EdgeQuake coverage, hitting almost everything in the tier for neutral damage, whilst Stealth Rock is a mandatory slot on every team. Protect is the main filler move of choice, scouting choice items on the likes of Rotom-F that may try to Volt Switch predicting a switch to Muk, or Choice Band Golem which may try to Stone Edge predicting Leafeon or Vullaby. Protect also allows Golem to regain its Sturdy after switching in on Stealth Rock, this particularly important in cases in which Golem's Sturdy is relied on to check Pokemon such as Mawile.

Maximum HP and 192 Special Defense EVs ensures that Golem avoids the OHKO from Zebstrika's Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power [Water] / [Grass] after Stealth Rock. 16 EVs in Def hits a jump point, avoiding the OHKO from Stoutland's Superpower after Stealth Rock, and turning Frustration/Return into a 5HKO. 52 Speed EVs creeps uninvested base 50s such as Muk, Audino, and Metang.

OO: Both Sucker Punch and Toxic have merit over Protect. Sucker Punch helps when facing more offensive teams, getting off chip damage when facing the likes of Mr. Mime or Leafeon. Toxic helps whittle down defensive Pokemon, one example being Vibrava, which can be somewhat of a nuisance to this team.

- - - - - -

"For some reason I have a feeling like I've been waiting for those words for a long time"

Leafeon @ Lum Berry | Chlorophyll
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Jolly
Leaf Blade

Knock Off

Swords Dance

Synthesis

Leafeon acts as the team's main check to stuff like Golem, whilst also checking stuff like Physically Biased Floatzel. Leafeon is one of the faster members of an otherwise relatively slow team, and is relied upon to revenge kill a variety of offensive Pokemon such as Nasty Plot Mr. Mime or Life Orb Rotom-F. Leafeon is the team's only other boosting win condition, paving the way for Muk by beating up on a variety of Rock-, Ground-, and Psychic-types

Leaf Blade is a reliable STAB, with Knock Off being useful to remove items from common switchins such as Monferno, Vullaby, and Gourgeist-XL. Swords Dance allows Leafeon to threaten some of the more passive defensive Pokemon such as Clefairy and Duosion. Synthesis is necessary in the last slot to provide reliable recovery since Leafeon is the team's dedicated switchin to Golem.

EVs are standard, ensuring Leafeon takes advantage of its coveted Speed tier, whilst also hitting as hard as possible.

Other Options: Yache Berry over Lum Berry helps when facing Water-types such as Floatzel and Huntail.

- - - - - -

"There is no such thing as that rose-colored campus life"

Vullaby @ Eviolite | Overcoat
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe | Impish
Foul Play

Taunt

Defog

Roost

Vullaby rounds out the team nicely, providing much needed hazard removal, as well as a reliable check to the likes of Monferno, Pawniard, and Leafeon, Pokemon that had not yet been covered by another member of the team. At this point in time Vullaby has pretty much solidified itself as the best Defogger in the tier, boasting fantastic defensive typing, reliable recovery, as well as a variety of viable utility options such as Taunt, U-turn, and Knock Off.

Foul Play is standard on Vullaby, and makes up for Vullaby's low Attack stat, dealing respectable damage to most physical attackers whilst also dissuading setup. I'm not fond of U-turn on Vullaby, and you'll almost never see me run it. I almost always prefer the utility of Taunt or Knock Off. In my opinion, Taunt works best on this build, giving the team a means of counterplay when facing Duosion, a Pokemon which would otherwise quickly dismantle the entire team with little resistance. Defog is the team's form of hazard removal, whilst Roost ensures Vullaby lasts throughout a match.

EVs are, again, standard. Maximum HP and Defense investment allows Vullaby to combat the likes of Monferno and Pawniard as reliably as possible. 8 Speed EVs gets the jump on other uninvested base 60s which, in conjunction with Taunt, can be useful to prevent opposing Vullaby from Roosting, or Defogging your hazards away.

Other Options: Knock Off can work well in place of either of the listed Dark-type moves, and is something I've used before to lure and rid the likes of Golem, Rotom-F, or Duosion of their item.

- - - - - -

Choice Band Golem / Relicanth

As is with any team that utilizes Leafeon as the team's main check to Golem and Relicanth, this team is heavily pressured by powerful Rock-type STAB. Counterplay methods involve utilizing Leafeon and Zebstrika to check them, whilst defensive Golem is a reliable Rock resist if you can guess correctly.

Rapidash

Whilst most Fire-types are, in one way or another, threatening to this team Rapidash is by far the most threatening since it cannot be trapped by Trapinch. Golem is the initial switchin, but is heavily pressured by the combination of Will-O-Wisp and Drill Run. Getting up Stealth Rock is usually the first key to wearing it down. Besides that, Zebstrika can check it in certain situations, and Muk needs only 1 Curse to avoid the 2HKO from non-Life Orb sets.

Offensive Mawile

Arguably the single biggest threat to the entire team. Nothing on this team is able to switch in and deal with a +2 Mawile. Trapinch is bulky enough to take 1 non-boosted Play Rough, and can trap and remove it, whilst Zebstrika and Golem can also situationally check it. However, once Mawile has set up a Swords Dance, counterplay methods are reduced to utilizing Golem's sturdy, or soft checking it with Leafeon, and winning Sucker Punch 50/50s.

Gorebyss

Goreybyss is another pretty massive threat to this team. After a Shell Smash Gorebyss has the potential to OHKO everything on the team with the appropriate coverage move. The best way to not get swept is to make sure you don't give it free setup. Zebstrika and Leafeon are the main countermeasures, with Golem also acting as a check if its Sturdy is in check. You have to play very carefully around Gorebyss, and you're basically forced to attack it whenever it's in.

Muk @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 236 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Water]

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 192 SpD / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Leafeon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

Thank you everyone for checking out the RMT, I hope you enjoyed it. Shoutout to everyone that has made my experience playing PU an enjoyable one.
-
False偽

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yo,

This team is clearly amazing judging from your success and has a large effect on the metagame so I'm very happy you chose to archive it. The team has a good handle on most threats given its solid defensive backbone yet it can still provide a good offensive presence. A thing you could consider though would be running Choice Scarf Chatot over Zebstrika. The main reason I suggest this is because certain Speed Boosters can certainly get out of hand, such as Gorebyss like you mentioned, but even nicher stuff like DD Fraxure or SS Crustle. Interestingly enough it is notably stronger than Zebstrika, so can always KO Rapidash after Srocks unlike zebby, and it can work decently with Muk in weakening Steel-types. Chatot I feel would be the best choice for a Scarfer so you don't weaken that matchup vs Leafeon. If you don't think this is best then I'd say Sap Sippor is the better ability on Zebstrika given that Trapinch/Golem/Muk cover Electric-types amazingly already, so it seems Zebstrika would be more likely to take a Grass attack.

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Fighting
- U-turn

Overall, excellent team and congrats on winning the open!

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
hi False,

obviously this is a really solid team, and congrats again on bringing home PU Open! I agree with Anty that a Choice Scarf user would probably be more beneficial than running Zebstrika, since as mentioned it helps you with speed boosting setup sweepers. However, I think that Choice Scarf Rotom-F would be a better pick than Chatot for two reasons. The first is that it gives you an ice resist (not a great one, but it's there), which is really important because this team struggles a lot against Specs Lapras. Especially, if they have Specs Lapras or even Life Orb Regice paired with a solid Muk check, I see it becoming very difficult for you to win because you have nothing to pivot into Ice Beam except Muk. The second reason is to "check" boosting sweepers with Trick- namely Pawniard and Mawile. This strategy could backfire of course but it's better than having literally no counterplay to Sucker Punch at all.

There's not much else that can be changed without changing the structure of the team. Golem could be changed to Relicanth or Probopass to check Mawile and Pawniard but then your matchup vs opposing Muk teams would be severely weakened (although Relicanth does learn Psych Up if you want to try that out LOL). You could also run Toxic on Leafeon or Vullaby to improve your matchup vs stuff like Articuno if you are able to catch it on the switch and then go into Muk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)