Tournament Bad STABmons - WON BY IHHCA!!!

EV

Banned deucer.
Here are the pairings for Round 5, Unwinner's Bracket!:
Round 5

[Unwinner's Bracket]
Whitewash vs. Yoshiblaze
Earlio vs. Official Fissure
bye vs. Funbot28
Mark_K vs. Akashi
chop vs. ace 434
Betathunder vs. OM room

These matches are due 10/13.

• Double elimination
  • Best of 1
  • Play on ROM - use the Bad STABmons format
  • Replays highly encouraged
  • Bad STABmons format:
    • BST cut-off is 450. Anything higher is banned.
      • Other Bans:
        • Pokemon: Chansey, Pelipper, Minior, Gumshoos, Sableye, Wishiwashi, Rotom.
        • Items: All Mega Stones, Thick Club.
        • Moves: Chatter (even on Chatot).
        • Abilities: Huge Power, Pure Power, Simple.
    • All other regular STABmons rules apply.
    • Bans may take place between rounds and will apply to the following round.

Last edited:
I watched a lot of these replays. The format idea is pretty cool, but it feels that the existence of Eviolite kinda kills the point a bit, just like Huge Power would if it wasn't banned.

Instead of being a meta centered on pokemon that have everything to shine except high BST(Chatot, Kekleon, etc), it's a bit too centered on pre-evolutions of OU pokemon, serving a very similar role to them(Combusken, Frogadier, Doublade, every Pseudo-legendary's pre-evo, etc).

Anyone feels the same?

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I watched a lot of these replays. The format idea is pretty cool, but it feels that the existence of Eviolite kinda kills the point a bit, just like Huge Power would if it wasn't banned.

Instead of being a meta centered on pokemon that have everything to shine except high BST(Chatot, Kekleon, etc), it's a bit too centered on pre-evolutions of OU pokemon, serving a very similar role to them(Combusken, Frogadier, Doublade, every Pseudo-legendary's pre-evo, etc).

Anyone feels the same?
There's a reason it has bad in the name amirite

EV

Banned deucer.

Anyone feels the same?
Of your examples, only Doublade holds an Eviolite 100% of the time. Combusken is usually carrying a Focus Sash from my experience, as is Frogadier (that or LO or maybe a choice item). For pseudo-legendaries (I'm assuming you mean the middle evolutions of Dragonite, Tyranitar, etc), Pupitar and Gabite are usually carrying Eviolite, and maybe the occasional Metang (rarer). Other ones you missed include Togetic, Gligar, and Munchlax.

But when you consider "top tier" Pokemon such as Audino, Quagsire, Liepard, Haunter (pre-evo), Kadabra (pre-evo), Murkrow (pre-evo), Rufflet (pre-evo), Sneasel (pre-evo), all who never carry an Eviolite, you can see there's more variety to the format than your post lets on.

The way I see it is BSTAB is an arbitrary ruleset that just has a line drawn in the sand and whatever is on the legal side of things gets to shine, in whatever way it possibly can. Eviolite certainly makes up a lot of the format's strategy, but so do counter-strategies such as Knock Off spam, and now your pre-evo is back to using its poopy garbage stats again.

All in all, :shrug: :shrug: it's sort of a wash?

EV

Banned deucer.
Here are the pairings for Round 6, Winner's Bracket!:

Round 6

[Winner's Bracket]
CallMeLefty vs. Jajoken
Quantum Tesseract vs. MAMP
Laxpras vs. ihhca

And the Unwinners!:

Round 6

[Unwinner's Bracket]
ace 434 vs. Funbot28
OM room vs. Mark_K
Whitewash vs. Official Fissure

These matches are due 10/21.

• Double elimination
  • Best of 1
  • Play on ROM - use the Bad STABmons format
  • Replays highly encouraged
  • Bad STABmons format:
    • BST cut-off is 450. Anything higher is banned.
      • Other Bans:
        • Pokemon: Chansey, Pelipper, Minior, Gumshoos, Sableye, Wishiwashi, Rotom.
        • Items: All Mega Stones, Thick Club.
        • Moves: Chatter (even on Chatot).
        • Abilities: Huge Power, Pure Power, Simple.
    • All other regular STABmons rules apply.
    • Bans may take place between rounds and will apply to the following round.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)