1v1 Resources Thread

Awesome post... but I'm still unsure about Muk's viability. While it can beat some very very specific sets, almost every viable Pokemon can beat it. At the same time, Muk could possibly run some varying sets that run stat boosting moves... so maybe Muk could go into testing. Muk does carry a unique typing and moveset combination, so I'd be interested to see what people can make it do. Muk for testing

Also, I'd like to propose a few extra things in 1v1 that could allow the metagame to become a lot more creative in both teambuilding and battling. Mawile-Mega, Salamence-Mega, and others have, through huge power and overall advantage, prevented a huge portion of Pokemon, particularly those not capable of beating mega boosted Pokemon, from being any bit viable. I'd like to suggest some sort of limitation to the All Powerful Mega Evolutions such as a 1 or 2 Mega Pokemon limit per team. With a limitation such as this, everyone will have the advantage of not having to prepare for as many of the mega power houses, such as Mawile-Mega, Salamence-Mega, both Charizard-Megas, Gyarados-Mega, as well as countless more.

I believe Darmanitan and Emboar do deserve viability rankings. I believe Darmanitan, Emboar and Haxorus can go to D (maybe C) rank, and Avalugg is already C rank. I also think that Victini isn't much of a threat to most of the meta and would fit better in C rank.

Finally, I'd also like to:
Promote Magikarp to S rank.
Unban Kangaskhan-Mega but only let it run Fake Out.
Ask about your thoughts about Snorlax to B rank. (post above somewhere)

Edit: Posting about the Mega limitation thing in normal 1v1 thread too.
Like this comment if you like the possibility Mega Limitation.
Like this comment if you like my new signature.
Soo I don't play 1v1, but given my limited understanding of the format your proposed limit on megas per team is ludicrous. It doesn't alleviate the stress of dealing with Megas AT ALL. In order to have success on the ladder, your team will still need to be able to deal with every common mega or it will get steamrolled any time you run into someone running a mega for which you are not prepared, regardless of the mega's teammates. The only way to actually remove the teambuilding pressure of dealing with a large set of overbearing megas is to actually ban some of the megas; otherwise, you will still run into the different megas on the ladder, just diffused into different teams. I don't mean to come off as crass, but the logic behind your proposition is--unless I'm quite mistaken--severly flawed. That being said, if there is some factor of which I am unaware which makes 1v1's notion of preparation pressure when teambuilding fundamentally different from the norm, please inform me. I am pretty much as much of a n00b as one can be where this metagame is concerned.

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
Soo I don't play 1v1, but given my limited understanding of the format your proposed limit on megas per team is ludicrous. It doesn't alleviate the stress of dealing with Megas AT ALL. In order to have success on the ladder, your team will still need to be able to deal with every common mega or it will get steamrolled any time you run into someone running a mega for which you are not prepared, regardless of the mega's teammates. The only way to actually remove the teambuilding pressure of dealing with a large set of overbearing megas is to actually ban some of the megas; otherwise, you will still run into the different megas on the ladder, just diffused into different teams. I don't mean to come off as crass, but the logic behind your proposition is--unless I'm quite mistaken--severly flawed. That being said, if there is some factor of which I am unaware which makes 1v1's notion of preparation pressure when teambuilding fundamentally different from the norm, please inform me. I am pretty much as much of a n00b as one can be where this metagame is concerned.
It kinda shows you havnt played this meta, because most of the metas best megas are supported by their best teammates, which just so happen to be more broken megas, (eg Zards+mawile) also this should go in the main ladder thread, not the Viability ranking imo. On the topic of this mega limit thing, I think it is a good thing since like I just said, most of the broken megas form broken cores with other broken megas.

Tbh limitting megas just because they make broken cores doesn't really help. It's not like they are limited to one player; everyone can have said megas and their clashes are what make the resulting battles interesting.

Tbh limitting megas just because they make broken cores doesn't really help. It's not like they are limited to one player; everyone can have said megas and their clashes are what make the resulting battles interesting.
In a 3 poke prediction environment such as the team preview in which you run into multiple overpowered Pokemon at once and have to be able to defend yourself against all of them puts extra unnecessary pressure on teambuilding. Thats the very reason the Pokemon creators themselves made a one Mega Limit per team. Period. (even without having 6 Pokemon, the beginning team preview prediction against 3 different megas is somewhat unnecessary.)

It kinda shows you havnt played this meta, because most of the metas best megas are supported by their best teammates, which just so happen to be more broken megas, (eg Zards+mawile) also this should go in the main ladder thread, not the Viability ranking imo. On the topic of this mega limit thing, I think it is a good thing since like I just said, most of the broken megas form broken cores with other broken megas.
I already did post in the main thread... and yeeeee

In a 3 poke prediction environment such as the team preview in which you run into multiple overpowered Pokemon at once and have to be able to defend yourself against all of them puts extra unnecessary pressure on teambuilding. Thats the very reason the Pokemon creators themselves made a one Mega Limit per team. Period. (even without having 6 Pokemon, the beginning team preview prediction against 3 different megas is somewhat unnecessary.)
Thank you guys for clearing this up and explaining.

I already did post in the main thread... and yeeeee
It would be the same way in both players. You bring offense, doesn't necessarily mean I'm forced to bring my defense. It seems all out offense is a solid way to fight, so why are we denying its potential? If two hyper offense teams face off, you cant say that one side is unfairly gaining an advantage because they both most likely have as many megas as the other. Regardless, a truly defensive shouldn't be worried about a bunch of megas, for they should be able to check them.

It would be the same way in both players. You bring offense, doesn't necessarily mean I'm forced to bring my defense. It seems all out offense is a solid way to fight, so why are we denying its potential? If two hyper offense teams face off, you cant say that one side is unfairly gaining an advantage because they both most likely have as many megas as the other. Regardless, a truly defensive shouldn't be worried about a bunch of megas, for they should be able to check them.
In general, both players are capable of having equal teams, but that's not the only issue. With obviously superior Megas (ex. Salamence + Mawile) other individual Pokemon begin to lose value in all of 1v1, just because they can't check specific powerful threats. This also puts unnecessary pressure on teambuilding, and limits the metagame's potential to grow.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
aurorus.gif
Aurorus, Unranked ---> C

@ Choice Specs
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 136 HP / 8 Def / 112 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hyper Beam
- Hyper Voice
- Filler

Aurorus isn't the most noteworthy Pokemon, but it does have a surprising level of viability to it.
The detailed EV spread I provided for it allows it to withstand both a Timid Charizard-Y Blast Burn and an Adamant Charizard-X Flare Blitz 87.5% of the time (However a Modest Zard-Y Blast Burn will OHKO it 56.3% of the time). The bulk from its HP allows it to withstand an attack from Kyurem-B (Assuming it's not banded), Porygon-Z, and Salamence-Mega (Provided they don't run Fighting/Steel coverage, which generally, they don't) and fight back with a OHKO from Hyper Voice or Hyper Beam.
Although there aren't really many other sets that this Pokemon can run, playing around with its EVs actually gives it a chance at taking out some other opponents that normally would have beaten it, for example:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Aurorus Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 181-214 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
With just a little Speed investment to outspeed it, Aurorus is made fully capable of 2HKOing Physically Defensive Porygon2 with Hyper Voice, and even capable of taking on 252 Def/Sp Def Mixed Defensive Porygon2 with Hyper Beam, something that it wouldn't have been able to do if it used the set above, which has a wider range of viability than Max Spatk Aurorus.

Notable counters: Chansey, Gyarados-Mega, Mawile-Mega (50/50 chance of being OHKO'd by 252+ Spatk Earth Power), Garchomp, Greninja, Metagross, Aegislash, Golem, Heatran, Heracross, Jirachi, etc.
Notable Pokemon it beats: Charizard-Mega X/Y, Porygon-Z, Salamence-Mega, Dragonite, Meloetta, Gardevoir-Mega, Rhyperior, Slowbro-Mega, Sableye-Mega, Whimsicott, Togekiss, Latios, Swampert, Venusaur-Mega, etc.

Sawk C--------> A rank
Although the Choice Band/Scarf sets deserve the C rank, I feel that this set has a lot more potential.

Sawk @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Close Combat
- Reversal
- Counter
- Endure

EDIT-Now that Mega mence is gone, Ice Punch is not very useful anymore and I have replaced it with Counter.

This guy can beat most choice users, most Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Sound users, and a lot of the Pokemon in the S and A ranks. This set makes Sawk as frail as possible to ensure that just about any strong attack will bring it down to 200BP Reversal range, or at the very least Custap Berry range, allowing it to get in two high BP attacks on the opponent. Close Combat is a strong STAB that can 2HKO a lot of foes, while Reversal provides the extra damage it needs to guarantee two hit kills on several mons that resist fighting. Endure allows it to beat Kyurem-B and other Mold Breaker users and acts as a backup to trigger Custap and 200BP Reversal if the opponent somehow breaks Sturdy without triggering those. Counter allows it to easily beat several priority users who can tank Sawk's other moves (Mega Mawile, Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, Dragonite, Mega Pinsir, etc.)

Mons it beats: Porygon-Z, Chansey, Greninja, Rhyperior(Might be a roll with Rock Blast), Meloetta, Aggron, Alakazam, Magnezone, Mega Metagross, Mega Mawile, Mega Pinsir, etc.

Mons it might lose to if the opponent knows your set: Kyurem-B (if it has sub or something), Mega Gyarados (You have to endure when they mega evolve and attack or use Counter if they stay in regular form and attack), Charizards (if they have wisp or toxic), Fake Out users (They will have to predict your endures and fake out on the endures and then attack when you don't endure) etc.

Mon it loses to: Walls that win via residual damage like like Venasaur, Slowbro, and Whimsicott, Ghost types like Aegislash and Gengar, Mega Medicham (Fake Out breaks Sturdy and Reversal doesn't OHKO without a crit)

Last edited:

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
#RIP MEGAMENCE

Now that megamence is gone, a lot of Pokemon has gained viability and can do their roles better. Which Pokemon do you think deserve a higher/lower place in the viability ranking now that the dragon is down?

Pinsir-Mega / Unranked --> B Rank

With the ban on Salamence-Mega decided I wanted to try out Pinsir-Mega, after using it and getting blown back by pretty much every S rank Pokemon I decided to try putting Protect on the Pinsir-Mega to beat Charizard, later I realized that Endure would be a much better option as it would allow me to have a shot at beating not only Pokemon that outspeed its regular form, but Pokemon such as Porygon-Z and Salamence-Mega (if they Hyper Beam, Giga Impact). Now, a lot of these wins are circumstantial but I still believe that Pinsir-Mega is worthy of B rank.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Endure / Protect
- Giga Impact / Flail
- Feint / Quick Attack
- Close Combat / Swords Dance / Return

Set Details:
Hyper Cutter is to say byebye to Intimidate/Charm. Jolly nature is necessary to outspeed Charizard after you Endure. Endure so you can outspeed Charizard after Mega Evolving on turn 1. Giga Impact/Flail for raw power. Feint because it's a +2 STAB Priority move that can break through protect. Lastly, I would run Close Combat as I don't see a need for SD because Close Combat is already a roll to 2HKO Chansey.

What it beats:
Chansey (Hyper Cutter + Close Combat)
Charizard-Mega-Y (Endure + Giga Impact / Flail)
Gardevoir-Mega (Endure + Giga Impact)
Meloetta (Giga Impact)
Medicham-Mega (Feint in regular form, then Mega and Feint again)
Sylveon (Giga Impact)
Venusaur-Mega (Giga Impact)
Heracross-Mega (Quick Attack/Feint)
Gyarados (Giga Impact)
Sableye-Mega (If you run Swords Dance)

What it has a possibility of beating:
Charizard-Mega-X (Endure + Giga Impact)
Gyarados-Mega (Giga Impact) - Bulky can live an Impact
Porygon-Z (Endure + Giga Impact)
Salamence-Mega (Endure + Giga Impact)
Kyurem-B (If they Ice Beam, Close Combat in regular and Feint in Mega)
Lopunny-Mega (Endure on the Giga Impact + Giga Impact) - Can lose to Last resort.
Blastoise-Mega (Giga Impact) - Can lose to defensive, but I've never seen that.
Dragonite (Feint + Giga Impact)
Altaria-Mega (Giga Impact)
Blaziken and Blaziken-Mega (Feint on the Protect)

What it loses to - (INCOMPLETE) -
Mawile-Mega
Aggron-Mega

Good team-mates - (INCOMPLETE) -
Mawile-Mega

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyx

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Pinsir-Mega / Unranked --> B Rank

With the ban on Salamence-Mega decided I wanted to try out Pinsir-Mega, after using it and getting blown back by pretty much every S rank Pokemon I decided to try putting Protect on the Pinsir-Mega to beat Charizard, later I realized that Endure would be a much better option as it would allow me to have a shot at beating not only Pokemon that outspeed its regular form, but Pokemon such as Porygon-Z and Salamence-Mega (if they Hyper Beam, Giga Impact). Now, a lot of these wins are circumstantial but I still believe that Pinsir-Mega is worthy of B rank.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Endure
- Giga Impact / Flail
- Feint / Quick Attack
- Close Combat / Swords Dance / Return

Set Details:
Hyper Cutter is to say byebye to Intimidate/Charm. Jolly nature is necessary to outspeed Charizard after you Endure. Endure so you can outspeed Charizard after Mega Evolving on turn 1. Giga Impact/Flail for raw power. Feint because it's a +2 STAB Priority move that can OHKO Medicham-Mega. Lastly, I would run Close Combat as I don't see a need for SD because Close Combat is already a roll to 2HKO Chansey.

What it beats:
Chansey (Hyper cutter + Close Combat)
Charizard-Mega-Y (Endure + Giga Impact / Flail)
Gardevoir-Mega (Endure + Giga Impact)
Meloetta (Giga Impact)
Medicham-Mega (Feint in regular form, then Mega and Feint again)
Sylveon (Giga Impact)
Venusaur-Mega (Giga Impact)
Heracross-Mega (Quick Attack/Feint)
Gyarados (Giga Impact)
Sableye-Mega (If you run Swords Dance)

What it has a possibility of beating:
Charizard-Mega-X (Endure + Giga Impact)
Gyarados-Mega (Giga Impact) - Bulky can live an Impact
Porygon-Z (Endure + Giga Impact)
Salamence-Mega (Endure + Giga Impact)
Kyurem-B (If they Ice Beam, Close Combat in regular and Feint in Mega)
Lopunny-Mega (Endure on the Giga Impact + Giga Impact) - Can lose to Last resort.
Blastoise-Mega (Giga Impact) - Can lose to defensive, but I've never seen that.
Dragonite (Feint + Giga Impact)
Altaria-Mega (Giga Impact)
Blaziken and Blaziken-Mega (Feint on the Protect)

What it 100% loses to - (INCOMPLETE) -
Mawile-Mega
Aggron / Aggron-Mega

Good team-mates - (INCOMPLETE) -
Mawile-Mega
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Medicham: 168-200 (64.3 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Feint has no chance at beating Megacham, even Adamant Quick Attack isn't 100%
252 Atk Pinsir Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 256-302 (65.4 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Exactly enough when combined with a Feint for Kyube to have exactly 1% hp remaining at max rolls
I'd say Lopunny blatantly wins, but you have Endure, so eh.
BUT, on the other hand, the mons that you classified as 100% beating Pinsir
252+ Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 226-266 (74.3 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
When combined with a Quick Attack, that's a little more than 50% chance of KO-ing Max HP Mawile, Slim odds, yes, but still classifiably in Pinsir's favor, especially if they try to Sucker Punch, and when combined with the two individual chances of Pinsir landing a critical hit, ultimately stacking the odds even further in Pinsir's favor.
252+ Atk Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aggron: 336-396 (97.6 - 115.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Assuming the Aggron stays in its reg form vs Mold Breaker Pinsir.

Ultimately, Feint is vastly inferior to Quick Attack, but other than that, a good number of your matchups are pretty on point ^-^
Although I would say that Endure is pretty niched, since it only puts a solid stop to a few mons, being P-Z (Becomes a 50/50 once they learn the set), Charizard-Y (As long as you're Jolly, which ultimately makes you lose other matchups), Greninja (Which it actually loses to now, since Modest Specs Ice Beam OHKO's, since it doesn't need max speed for Mence anymore), and Rhyperior (50/50 vs banded Rhyperior once they learn it's Endure, or simply just loses to Rock Blast), and not including any B ranks and below.

If I had to be completely honest, I'd say Pinsir-Mega would be potentially worthy of A rank, it doesn't beat exactly everything in its range of capability in just one set, but it DOES have a few sets, each with their own ranges of viability and coverage that the other sets don't have, while also packing a simply raw power nuke with Aerilate Impact that OHKO's pretty much anything that doesn't resist it, bar from the obvious walls like Deo-D, Sableye-M, and such.
But I'm a bit torn from it being either A rank or B rank. When I look at what it would be paired up with if it made B rank, I just simply do not see Pinsir being on the same level as those mons, other than Aggron, Magnezone, and Sableye, and even Magnezone is debatable. But at the same time, I don't see it being on the same level on half of those mons at most, which ultimately, all the other A ranks have about the same range of viability as Pinsir does, which is pretty fair.

tl;dr: Make Pinsir-M A rank because it's strong but not godly.

Mega Pinsir for A rank
Ok, I was very shocked not to see mega pinsir on this list. Off of it's high attack stat plus aerilate, giga impact is an extraordinarily powerful move. It also has the option to run an aerilate quick attack for fast, frail pokemon and strong coverage options in close combat and earthquake. While it can't take hits too nicely and is inferior to salamence in most ways, it being unlisted just doesn't seem right to me.

Pinsir@Pinsirite
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 atk, 252 spe, 4 hp
-Giga Impact
-Close Combat/Earthquake
-Protect/Return
-Quick Attack/Protect

Mega Pinsir's aerilated Giga Impact hits anything that doesn't resist it like a truck, and most of the things that resist it get hit fairly hard by coverage options like earthquake and close combat. Mega Pinsir isn't the fastest pokemon and appreciates a free turn to mega evolve with protect, also benefiting from a very strong quick attack, also boosted by aerilate. However, return is another option, for a 100% accurate move with no cooldown, which comes in handy sometimes.

EDIT: I just realized that mega salamence was banned, and if that doesn't secure this beast a place in the A rank, I don't know what does.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm all for moving mega Tyranitar from C to B. The set that uselesscrab (sorry if I'm getting the name wrong) posted earlier in this thread is very good. I spent a day a little while back after the mega mence ban using it, and had pretty good success (got a couple of accounts up into the 1500's).
I would post an opinion on Sawk, but I haven't used it enough to form a solid argument (although I will say I've seen it used enough to say the thought of moving it to B is definitely warranted).

One of my biggest appreciations of M-tyranitar would be that it beats meloetta who is getting spammed more than usual following the mence ban. It also is just a solid check to psychic types in general

Another solid ability he has is unnerve before he mega evolves making him a solid check to mons with a custap strategy. Also the random colbur berry Mon won’t be able to beat him either. Also the ability to mega evolve and get the sand up allows ttar to get a solid Sp Def boost, and stop Zard Y's from going for the super effective solar beam.

I also like the fact tyranitar can beat almost any charizard out there. The only zard that has a chance to beat ttar is bulky zard x with will-o-wisp and counter.
84+ Atk burned Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Charizard X: 129-153 (35.8 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
And even this matchup isn’t guaranteed. Zard could miss will-o-wisp and ttar could miss a stone edge sealing the game for the other. So with all the contingencies involved I would give Ttar the nod against any zard - just watch out for bulky zard X.

Another reason I feel Ttar should move to B is because it doesn’t seem like a C ranked Mon – it just has the offensive appeal of a Mon that has a rank of B, and not enough notable weaknesses that can't be easily countered by good team building. (sorry if this point isn't explained well or not concrete enough - just having some trouble wording it correctly.)

A final addition I would like to make is just a few good teammates that make a Ttar team pretty viable in 1v1.
The team I ran was Ttar, Charizard Y and M-sableye, it was a pretty decent ladder team, except it loses to gardevoir unless you get some flinch hax.

All in all Mega-Tyranitar is a fairly viable Mon that definitely warrants a B ranking. I'd definitely suggest testing this mon out for yourself because it's a lot of fun to use.

Yes Tyranitar for a minimum B ranking. My current set, and many others, allow it to beat many threats of all sorts, and successfully cteam a HUGE portion of the meta.
First of all lets go over typing...
Rock Type allows it to soak up Meloettas and Porygon-Z hits like garbage, especially in Sand and especially good mega stats. (For those who don't know, Rock types get a special defense boost in sand)
Also, combined with Dark type and good bulk allows it to run a fairly decent WP set.
Disadvantage? Lopunny is hard counter. (But it can still take many super effective hits)

Here is my most successful set so far:
Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream (or Unnerve if cteam custap berry)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk
- Counter (Take a hit, then T Rekts)
- Iron Defense (setup against anything that tries to stop counter)
- Rest (stall :)
- Stone Edge (or other coverage and cteam)

Since it automatically gets a boost in the special defense catagory from Sand, by running a physically defensive EV set, it can without a doubt cteam a HUGE portion of the meta.
It's capable of beating
- Metagross-Mega (even Hammer Arm)
- Choice Garchomp Earthquake (plus rough skin).
- Mawile-Mega (with prediction, as it can take a play rough and counter, but must iron defense against swords dance, but it wins the first encounter 90% of the time)
- Charizard? HAA! (I don't even need to explain)
- LOADS of stall. It can outstall pokemon such as Chansey with Rest, as well as run Toxic for certain other sets.
- EVEN MORE: Tyranitar has outstanding bulk, attack, and movepool, and so it's capable of running loads more things than mentioned here, even something as stupid as thunder wave attract

What now? Try my set on your team... You'll find it'll give a large amount of ease in teampreview choices, as it can counter an extremely large amount of possible threats of all sorts...
Tyranitar for B (or higher) Rank!

Last edited:
Honestly I think aggron/aggron mega combo should get A rank

I once won a whole tour by just using aggrons meta burst, eq, stone edge, and heavy slam set.... It does so much damage to many Pokemon insanely so... And so many players fall for it... SO many players.... If you know when to mega right you can easily beat your opponents, it is handicapped due to mold breaker mons, but the biggest mold breaker user (excadrill) isn't just rarely seen but it is easy to wipe off... Honestly it's biggest counter is trace gardevoir and Alabaman mega as they trace the sturdy. Also wobbufett for obvious reasons but making one of the moves toxic fixes it,
All in all just straight up deadly

Honestly I think aggron/aggron mega combo should get A rank

I once won a whole tour by just using aggrons meta burst, eq, stone edge, and heavy slam set.... It does so much damage to many Pokemon insanely so... And so many players fall for it... SO many players.... If you know when to mega right you can easily beat your opponents, it is handicapped due to mold breaker mons, but the biggest mold breaker user (excadrill) isn't just rarely seen but it is easy to wipe off... Honestly it's biggest counter is trace gardevoir and Alabaman mega as they trace the sturdy. Also wobbufett for obvious reasons but making one of the moves toxic fixes it,
All in all just straight up deadly
First of all, I once won a whole tour with a Riolu, so that doesn't say much.
Perhaps, but A rank isn't necessary, as it still loses in many situations. It can be easily countered by hundreds of different sets and Pokemon, and just the chance of surprise against new players isn't satisfactory for success. I believe it should remain B rank. "These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame."

Anyways, Sawk is quite an interesting Pokemon to take into account. Extremely similar to Aggron in many ways, it is capable of both throwing decent attacks with relevant typing, and on top of that run varying sets such as Counter and Custap Berry. With the all powerful Salamence-Mega, the combination of both defensive and offensive Flying typing, and Intimidate, Sawk got little time to shine it's full potential. Sawk is now capable of running many sets, to counter and demolish varying Pokemon throughout 1v1. Here are some of the more common sets:

Sawk @ Choice Scarf/Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Elemental Punches (for example, Thunder Punch for Gyarados)
- Counter
- Stone Edge

My Sock Set @ Custap Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Reversal
- Counter
- Endure
- Stone Edge/Coverage

With these, and many more sets, Sawk is able to take down many offensive threats, such as Specs P-Z and Meloetta, other scarf Pokemon, and any other Pokemon it can 2hko/CounterKO. I can't supply exact examples now, but with Salamence-Mega gone, Sawk will have ever increasing viability throughout the metagame. (with more Meloetta, Pinsir, and other similar spam beginning to emerge) B rank. "These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame."

As for Pinsir-Mega, it's viability will begin to soar with Salamence-Mega out of the picture, in fact, with Salamence-Mega gone, it could become the most powerful physical attacker in the meta to date. The following set is just one example of how much pure power it could offer.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Protect/Endure
- Substitute
- Flail (200 BP Aerilate boosted STAB... plus 155 base Atk and possible Swords Dance? HA)
- Quick Attack

This set, as mentioned, is capable of dealing extreme raw damage. On top of this, with access to move such as Swords Dance, it is capable of setting up and destroying plenty stall. (mold breaker available too)
What about beating offense? Hyper Cutter stops the common Intimidate users from weakening this threat. 120 Defense and access to Anti-HyperBeam/GigaImpact moves such as Endure and Substitute, Pinsir-Mega is given the chance to throw out a hit of raw power, and grab the win.

Now, enough about me and my claims, here's some solid proof.
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 252-297 (78 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 228-268 (57.8 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Eek raw power)
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 226-267 (83.3 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 399-469 (102 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Counters? Well Aggron does a real good job at it if played correctly, and powerful Steel types such as Mawile can normally beat it.
Pinsir-Mega for minimum B rank. "These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame."

But wait, there's more! As pokemon (more specifically Pinsir-Mega) begins to see more usage, it can, without a doubt, become A rank. "These Pokemon influence the metagame."

Last edited:

Subjugator

Banned deucer.
Okay I am on high ladder on 1v1 as of today so I guess it's time to start contributing.

I have made a 1v1 team focusing on Endure + Custap Berry Rhyperior, and it is AWESOME. Endure + Custap Berry is a cool lure set that allows Rhyperior to almost always beat Kyurem-Black, Mega Charizard Y, Greninja, Conkeldurr, Mega Aggron, and check Chansey and many others. The surprise factor of it is what allows it to let me win 80% of the time.

Of course, it doesn't go without flaws. Rhyperior is beaten by almost every other EndureCustap user, and Intimidate Pokemon such as Mega Mawile and Mega Gyarados defeat it. However, with proper support, it's definitely a noteworthy threat. I personally add Hoopa-Unbound or Sub Mega Charizard X to beat Chansey, while I use Specs Kube or Mega Gyara to break past Sturdy mons such as Golem, Donphan, and Magnezone.

Rhyperior @ Custap Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 156 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Swords Dance
- Rock Wrecker
- Earthquake

Endure and Custap are self-explanatory, allowing Rhyperior to stomach devastating hits and knock many Pokemon out with Rock Wrecker. Swords Dance helps Rhyperior ensure that it will always win against physical attackers. Rock Wrecker is a good wincon that obliterates the majority of the tier. EQ for nice STAB. EVs allow it to outspeed Chansey and Conk, and beat Mega Lop.

this is a really cool set that everybody should try, it's underrated and can really surprise your opponent!

Mega Banette from C rank to A rank

I've been playing Pokemon Showdown for a long time now, but I only just made a Smogon account for the sole purpose of posting in this thread (so if I make any small mistakes, try to excuse it. I've never posted before). I've held top position on the 1v1 ladder under this account, and for a short period of time held the top 3 positions with the accounts Marriedtoasalad, Marriedtoacrouton, and Marriedtoadressing. (Can confirm with a screenshot if anyone wants proof). I've had Mega Banette as a staple on my team since before Megamence was even released, and I've seen it consistently shut teams down. Here's the set I run:

Banette@Banettite
Ability: Frisk
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252atk / 252hp / 4spe

-Protect
-Disable
-Will O Wisp
-Phantom Force

This set wins against every choice user, 100% of the time. Frisk allows you to see what item they have, and protect forces them to use a move. Then with prankster from the mega evolution, you disable and they have nothing left to do but struggle and watch their health fall. Will o wisp adds extra damage and cuts struggle damage in half, ensuring even a choice band max atk Kyu-B won't kill you. Will o Wisp also does wonders against certain physical threats, such as mega pinsir, mega heracross, mega aggron, golem, etc. Phantom force with the attack investment hits surprisingly hard, and is very useful in dealing extra damage to mons that don't have choice items that you've only will o wisped, or against pokemon like mega gardevoir and mega alakazam. This set struggles against most of the S tier, however, only winning the matchup against porygon-z and kyu-b if it is running a choice item and not haban berry or something else. Against most of the A tier, on the other hand, this set has winning matchups. I cannot stress enough how incredibly potent it is to win against every choice user, without fail. This Mega-Banette counters a huge part of the metagame and even counters a number of prevalent Mega pokemon.

Notable Checks: Chansey, Mega Charizard X and Y, Mega Gyarados, Mega Mawile
Notable Counters: Every choice user, Mega Alakazam, Mega Gardevoir, Deoxys-D

Mega Banette from C rank to A rank

I've been playing Pokemon Showdown for a long time now, but I only just made a Smogon account for the sole purpose of posting in this thread (so if I make any small mistakes, try to excuse it. I've never posted before). I've held top position on the 1v1 ladder under this account, and for a short period of time held the top 3 positions with the accounts Marriedtoasalad, Marriedtoacrouton, and Marriedtoadressing. (Can confirm with a screenshot if anyone wants proof). I've had Mega Banette as a staple on my team since before Megamence was even released, and I've seen it consistently shut teams down. Here's the set I run:

Banette@Banettite
Ability: Frisk
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252atk / 252hp / 4spe

-Protect
-Disable
-Will O Wisp
-Phantom Force

This set wins against every choice user, 100% of the time. Frisk allows you to see what item they have, and protect forces them to use a move. Then with prankster from the mega evolution, you disable and they have nothing left to do but struggle and watch their health fall. Will o wisp adds extra damage and cuts struggle damage in half, ensuring even a choice band max atk Kyu-B won't kill you. Will o Wisp also does wonders against certain physical threats, such as mega pinsir, mega heracross, mega aggron, golem, etc. Phantom force with the attack investment hits surprisingly hard, and is very useful in dealing extra damage to mons that don't have choice items that you've only will o wisped, or against pokemon like mega gardevoir and mega alakazam. This set struggles against most of the S tier, however, only winning the matchup against porygon-z and kyu-b if it is running a choice item and not haban berry or something else. Against most of the A tier, on the other hand, this set has winning matchups. I cannot stress enough how incredibly potent it is to win against every choice user, without fail. This Mega-Banette counters a huge part of the metagame and even counters a number of prevalent Mega pokemon.

Notable Checks: Chansey, Mega Charizard X and Y, Mega Gyarados, Mega Mawile
Notable Counters: Every choice user, Mega Alakazam, Mega Gardevoir, Deoxys-D
Nah. It should be "B" because the checks and counters are too comin.

Nah. It should be "B" because the checks and counters are too comin.
I feel as though Mega Banette fits in to the description of A rank better. While true, Mega Banette does suffer against common Pokemon, let's look at the description for A rank.
Reserved for Pokemon that are Great in the 1v1 Metagame. These Pokemon have a great matchups against other Pokemon yet are checked easier than S rank Pokemon and requires more prediction to use. These Pokemon influence the metagame.
Mega Banette, in my opinion, is great in the 1v1 metagame. With the prevalence and reliance on choice items for so many Pokemon, the fact that Mega Banette will always win the matchup is incredibly potent. This ties in to the first part of the next sentence: "great matchups against other Pokemon". Mega Banette isn't solely useful for choice users. Fighting types and Pokemon that use moves like reversal or flail fall to Mega Banette as well. Next, Mega Banette is checked easier than S rank Pokemon. It definitely does not belong in the top tier. It simply does not have the versatility or the representation to back this up. However, when looking at the other A rank pokemon, there are only 4 that Mega Banette does not often (or always) win the matchup against: Porygon2, Mega Slowbro, Togekiss, and Whimsicott. Furthermore, Mega Banette definitely requires more prediction to use. You need to guess if the opponent is going to pick a choice user (or one that could be a choice user, such as Kyurem-B). Lastly, I would argue that this Pokemon influences the metagame. One of the sole reasons that players cannot use teams entirely of choice item users is because of walls and Pokemon like Mega Banette. Choice users will always need to be cautious and it can strongly influence the mindgames before a match seeing a Mega Banette on the opposing team and trying to decide whether to send out that PorygonZ or not. I strongly feel as though Mega Banette can fit in to the A rank tier.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Okay I am on high ladder on 1v1 as of today so I guess it's time to start contributing.

I have made a 1v1 team focusing on Endure + Custap Berry Rhyperior, and it is AWESOME. Endure + Custap Berry is a cool lure set that allows Rhyperior to almost always beat Kyurem-Black, Mega Charizard Y, Greninja, Conkeldurr, Mega Aggron, and check Chansey and many others. The surprise factor of it is what allows it to let me win 80% of the time.

Of course, it doesn't go without flaws. Rhyperior is beaten by almost every other EndureCustap user, and Intimidate Pokemon such as Mega Mawile and Mega Gyarados defeat it. However, with proper support, it's definitely a noteworthy threat. I personally add Hoopa-Unbound or Sub Mega Charizard X to beat Chansey, while I use Specs Kube or Mega Gyara to break past Sturdy mons such as Golem, Donphan, and Magnezone.

Rhyperior @ Custap Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 156 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Swords Dance
- Rock Wrecker
- Earthquake

Endure and Custap are self-explanatory, allowing Rhyperior to stomach devastating hits and knock many Pokemon out with Rock Wrecker. Swords Dance helps Rhyperior ensure that it will always win against physical attackers. Rock Wrecker is a good wincon that obliterates the majority of the tier. EQ for nice STAB. EVs allow it to outspeed Chansey and Conk, and beat Mega Lop.

this is a really cool set that everybody should try, it's underrated and can really surprise your opponent!
what's the EVs for?

edit: consider Metal Burst maybe over SD? Though I guess SD M-maw just SD -> win.

Edit 2: SpD evs?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)