2016/17 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
(for context, David Ornstein is BBC's most reliable Arsenal correspondent and probably the second most Arsenal source period after the club website)

My predicted departures (besides Sanchez and possibly Ozil) are: Debuchy, Gibbs, Ospina, Jenkinson, and Lucas Perez. Debuchy and Gibbs are way off in terms of a starting spot as they're competing with Bellerin/Ox-Chambo and Monreal/Kolasinac on their respective flanks. Ospina has repeatedly said he will leave if an offer comes, I think Everton should definitely be considering him if they can't get Hart or Pickford but I could also see him going to Spain or even back to France. Jenko unfortunately hasn't proven himself to be Arsenal standard and will probably go to the Championship although I could see a newly-promoted club picking him up as he did alright on loan with West Ham, stupid red cards aside. Perez is probably the one I am most bitter about, because every time he played he looked sharp and lethal and a clinical finisher, which is definitely not what you would describe Welbeck or Giroud with. Yet often times he got benched for the likes of Walcott (who should be off too if we find somebody stupid enough to match his wage demands). With him gone we no longer have the option of a pacy finisher (Giroud is anything but pacy and not really consistent, while Welbeck is pace and work-rate but not much goalscoring). I would have liked to see him in the 3-4-3 but it seems he wants to go to Spain. Sevilla would be an interesting destination but he's also a huge Deportivo homeboy and they love him there so that is also an option.

Everyone is talking about Wenger and nothing about the CL final? When was the last time it wasn't held in May?
Anyway, it will be a Madrid win with Ronaldo doing nothing except scoring penalties and tap-ins. Bonus points if Higuain choked for Juventus. Ronaldo will win the Balon d'Or whatever happens though.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ronaldo is so shit these days, the only thing he does is score goals. 36 for madrid this season and I bet most were just tap ins, is he even worth having on the team?

Ronaldo is so shit these days, the only thing he does is score goals. 36 for madrid this season and I bet most were just tap ins, is he even worth having on the team?
Don't let his fanboys hear that though. They'll keep telling you the goals he scored against Bayern and Atletico.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know right 8 goals in the quarters and semis of the champions league against 2 of the best teams in Europe but its not as if he did anything to help influence the games is it

I wouldn't put him in the top 3-5 players in the world, but he is still world class and the most dangerous player in the penalty box.

People seem to forget he is 32 years old (and probably plays 10-15 extra games over most players), most forwards that age are bit part players in mid table teams or already have retired to China/America/Brazil. He will be still getting 30 goals a season in 3 years.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put him in the top 3-5 players in the world, but he is still world class and the most dangerous player in the penalty box.

People seem to forget he is 32 years old (and probably plays 10-15 extra games over most players), most forwards that age are bit part players in mid table teams or already have retired to China/America/Brazil. He will be still getting 30 goals a season in 3 years.
Who are 5 betters players?

Suarez, Messi, Marcelo definite Modric,Hazard,Lewandowski,Kroos,Cavani, Kante all have an argument this season.

Ronaldo didn't show up till about February/March.

I do expect him to score and Madrid to win tonight.

Last edited:
Messi has been pretty average in the CL this season. Most of his goals are against fodders. Great in La Liga though.
Ronaldo has been anonymous except in the knock-out rounds where he found form. His only impact is scoring though.

Such a bullshit lucky team, needed the ref to get past Bayern. Casimeiro deflection changed the game, a player who should have been suspended.

4-1, wasn't even competition there. Poor Buffon, he didn't deserve this performance from his team, Real absolutely dominant, well done Zidane/Ronaldo!

Ramos though... really....
You can blame it on the assistant refree for falling for it and acting like he witnessed live murder, was no reason to spoil an otherwise fine evening but hey, diving is it's own competition in La Liga.

Supercup it is ;)

It's amazing to think that people thought Zidane would be a flop and yet since taking over in Jan 2016:

• 15-16 Liga: Came second to Barcelona, but actually gained more points than them during his tenure.
  • 15-16 Copa Del Rey: Already eliminated before he took charge (thanks to fielding an illegitimate player).
  • 15-16 Champions League: won
  • 16-17 Liga: won
  • 16-17 Copa Del Rey: eliminated by Celta Vigo
  • 16-17 Champions League: won
  • 16-17 UEFA Super Cup: won
  • 16-17 Club World Cup: won
The only real failure was the 16-17 Copa Del Rey. Maybe it's just Real Madrid actually playing like superstars nowadays but hey, props to Zidane for putting together a brilliant team.

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
totally ashamed of my team, absolute garbage. An incredibile season thrown out the window in a fucking game, the most important of them all. So much talking, people were so confident we were gonna win. Allegri has 0 faults on this, the whole team let him down. This was the worst night of my young life. Hope to forget it asap, im still destroyed inside.

It's amazing to think that people thought Zidane would be a flop and yet since taking over in Jan 2016:

• 15-16 Liga: Came second to Barcelona, but actually gained more points than them during his tenure.
  • 15-16 Copa Del Rey: Already eliminated before he took charge (thanks to fielding an illegitimate player).
  • 15-16 Champions League: won
  • 16-17 Liga: won
  • 16-17 Copa Del Rey: eliminated by Celta Vigo
  • 16-17 Champions League: won
  • 16-17 UEFA Super Cup: won
  • 16-17 Club World Cup: won
The only real failure was the 16-17 Copa Del Rey. Maybe it's just Real Madrid actually playing like superstars nowadays but hey, props to Zidane for putting together a brilliant team.
16-17 UEFA Super Cup: won => Perhaps, probably, I'm not sure of that

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Suarez, Messi, Marcelo definite Modric,Hazard,Lewandowski,Kroos,Cavani, Kante all have an argument this season.

Ronaldo didn't show up till about February/March.

I do expect him to score and Madrid to win tonight.
Yeah Ronaldo is by no means a top10 player anymore, ranking him around 15th would be more accurate. He's gonna win the Ballon D'Or anyway because that's how that shitty award works. Sad because Modric deserves it tenfold.

Also on Zidane: I guess his results speak for himself, though many people are still skeptical on how much he's influence this Real Madrid team. I wont believe he's a great coach until I see him perform somewhere else. This Real Madrid squad is one of the most talented in history and its not like Zidane has made many tactical adjustments during his tenure. Real Madrid was also lucky in at least one round in both Champions League editions so yeah.

Hey, just popping my head in here to ask, is England bad at football. And if somebody could provide some simple data backing that up that would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)