2016 March International Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

Another international challenge, same rules and everything as last time.

Registration Period: March 17th - March 24th
Battle Period: March 25th - March 27th
Annoyingly, it's over easter weekend.

Discuss!

Last edited:

FloristtheBudew

I'm just tired
I'll probably participate in this one. As long as I'm not hosting a nugget bridge live :b I think this one will be quite interesting as we are starting to see deviations from the main sets of teams at least with the latest regionals results. Will be interesting to see if rating results change from what was the winner and other top positions with around 1820 iirc for first. People anticipated higher ratings last time so maybe we'll see more consistency with players. As much as one can with elements like Dark Void still around.

> Easter weekend
> Works a dead-end retail job, holidays and weekends simply mean "more dumbfucks, more no-call-no-shows, and no hope of a day off"
> VGC 16
Yeah if I enter this one and get so much as 2 battles in with a joke team, that's as far as I'm getting.

Hello everyone. I've been reading things on Smogon for a while, but I recently became a member and started posting with the Kanto Classic, which I did pretty good on. I was wondering, if I were to compete, what would be some good Pokemon to start building my team with? And what should I watch out for? Of course, you don't have to answer if you don't want to :P

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Hello everyone. I've been reading things on Smogon for a while, but I recently became a member and started posting with the Kanto Classic, which I did pretty good on. I was wondering, if I were to compete, what would be some good Pokemon to start building my team with? And what should I watch out for? Of course, you don't have to answer if you don't want to :P
The VGC frame works thread could be nice to help team building and see some of the common team archetypes. Also the viability rankings can help see what's good.
VGC '16 Teambuilding Frameworks Discussion thread
VGC 2016 Viability Rankings

I'm leaning more towards a kinda dark spam team, with Yveltal, PDon, and Crobat so far. It's just a normal Crobat
Crobat @ Lum Berry
Jolly 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 ?
Super Fang
Taunt
Tailwind
Quick Guard

I'm leaning more towards a kinda dark spam team, with Yveltal, PDon, and Crobat so far. It's just a normal Crobat
Crobat @ Lum Berry
Jolly 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 ?
Super Fang
Taunt
Tailwind
Quick Guard
You can use Mental Herb / Lum Berry Crobat with 116 HP - 252 Def - 140 Spe.
They're good moves.

Within a half hour, I bred an 0IV Timid Zubat and got to 5 IV. However, it has 31 Attack IVs (only attack move I have is Super Fang) Should I go for a new one because of Foul Play, or it is fine?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Within a half hour, I bred an 0IV Timid Zubat and got to 5 IV. However, it has 31 Attack IVs (only attack move I have is Super Fang) Should I go for a new one because of Foul Play, or it is fine?
If you have the available time you should keep breeding but if you don't or you don't feel like doing more it's definitely usable.

I've sort of shifted my team from a Dark theme to just an overall using good Pokemon team. I have Primal Groudon, Crobat, Cresselia, and Mega Mawile so far. First, should Primal Groudon be physical, special, or mixed? Also, these sets are all pretty much Smogon standard sets. Will this be too predictable? I am willing to make some unconventional strategies.

nicholascookie

Banned deucer.
I've sort of shifted my team from a Dark theme to just an overall using good Pokemon team. I have Primal Groudon, Crobat, Cresselia, and Mega Mawile so far. First, should Primal Groudon be physical, special, or mixed? Also, these sets are all pretty much Smogon standard sets. Will this be too predictable? I am willing to make some unconventional strategies.
What is this now, a rmt thread?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Just go on showdown and practice there. Team weaknesses should become apparent as you get matched up with certain things. At the moment your team is too vague to give you any useful advice.

Smogon's official Cresselia VGC16 analysis calls for a Sassy Nature and 244 HP EVs/ 108 Def / 156 SpD. "The HP EVs grant Cresselia an even number of HP, which allows Sitrus Berry to activate after taking a Super Fang from Crobat. The remaining investment makes both Jolly Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge and Modest Primal Groudon's Eruption a 3HKO factoring in Sitrus Berry's recovery." However, my Cresselia has a Bold Nature, so I made an EV spread with 244 HP/12 Def/252 SpD. With a Bold Nature, 0 Def EVS is the same as the 108 Sassy. The reason I did 12 was just because they were left over. However, even maxing out SpD does not give the full amount as Sassy (182 stat points compared to 187). So, should I be worried about Modest Groudon's Eruption because I didn't hit the mark? Eruption's power decreases as Groudon's HP decreases so am I fine?

Smogon's official Cresselia VGC16 analysis calls for a Sassy Nature and 244 HP EVs/ 108 Def / 156 SpD. "The HP EVs grant Cresselia an even number of HP, which allows Sitrus Berry to activate after taking a Super Fang from Crobat. The remaining investment makes both Jolly Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge and Modest Primal Groudon's Eruption a 3HKO factoring in Sitrus Berry's recovery." However, my Cresselia has a Bold Nature, so I made an EV spread with 244 HP/12 Def/252 SpD. With a Bold Nature, 0 Def EVS is the same as the 108 Sassy. The reason I did 12 was just because they were left over. However, even maxing out SpD does not give the full amount as Sassy (182 stat points compared to 187). So, should I be worried about Modest Groudon's Eruption because I didn't hit the mark? Eruption's power decreases as Groudon's HP decreases so am I fine?
For future reference, these questions belong in a simple questions and simple answers thread stickied at the top of the VGC forum.
Groudon's eruption is still a 3hko with sitrus berry. You can use the pokemonshowdown damage calc to verify how other attacks fare up against your own sets.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I have a sassy cresselia clone if you want it

For future reference, these questions belong in a simple questions and simple answers thread stickied at the top of the VGC forum.
Groudon's eruption is still a 3hko with sitrus berry. You can use the pokemonshowdown damage calc to verify how other attacks fare up against your own sets.
Ok I'll make sure to put my questions in that from now on

this international challenge will be a good one, especially to help you guys out learn the best of 1 better. However, tournaments are becoming more best of 3 since the AZ announcement. I'd think that yveltal groudon is going to be extremely strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)