The Highlander Tournament | Won by Raseri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Introduction:

During All-Star week for Smogon Premier League 4, macle and I had an interesting battle. We decided to do a one on one battle between our team mascots: Scrafty vs. Toxicroak. What started as a joke battle turned into massive theorymon sessions that went on for hours. Dekzeh and the Smog Frogs spent a lot of time working out optimal spreads, and the environment was similar in the Team Raiders channel. The battle ended up being a lot of fun with a surprising amount of depth (http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou8892250). It was easily one of the most fun matches either of us had played, so I'm building a tournament around the same concept.

Concept:

The tournament is set up that you pick and post three Pokemon when you sign up for the tournament. You can only pick one of each individual Pokemon, but a different player can have the same Pokemon as you (e.g. you can't have two Alakazam, but someone else can pick Alakazam if you pick it too; also, you can only pick one forme for Pokemon like Rotom). Chosen Pokemon have to be Overused and under; no Ubers are allowed. Each round, every player picks one of their opponent's three Pokemon to battle that round. They PM that choice to me. Once both players have relayed the opposing Pokemon to face in PM, I will declare it in the thread. At that point, both players can start preparing for their match. Picking like this occurs through every round.

Also, it'd be awesome if each player kept their designed sets for when they are eliminated. They shouldn't reveal anything about the nature of the battle, but moreso why they prepared that Pokemon in the manner they did for that specific threat. It's cool for onlookers to see the mental process behind this stuff. If you can reveal it in these threads without giving away any of the opponent's strategy, I'm sure our viewers would love to see the sets utilized.

General Tournament Rules:

• General tournament rules and regulations can be found stickied at the top of this forum.
  • Standard OU - 1 vs. 1
  • Generation V
  • Single Elimination
  • The banlists for this tournament are the same as for the ladders of the Smogon University server of Pokemon Online. You are absolutely not allowed to use any Pokemon in the Uber metagame.
  • Matches may either be conducted on Pokemon Showdown or Pokemon Online.
  • Post three Pokemon in this thread when you sign up for the tournament. They will remain as your only Pokemon throughout the entirety of the tournament.
  • Private Message user Vinc2612 at the beginning of each round which of your opponent's Pokemon you'd like to battle.
  • Do not battle until both you and your opponent have their selection revealed in this thread.
Battle Rules:

• Evasion Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Timed Battle
  • 1 vs. 1
  • No moves that evoke the Self KO Clause. Destiny Bond, Explosion, Final Gambit, Perish Song, Selfdestruct, and other such moves are banned.
  • No Johning whatsoever. I expect all matches to be done within the span of a week or less.
  • All matches will be best of one.
All participants must Private Message me which of their opponent's Pokemon they choose to face. Your battle cannot start until I receive PMs from both participants. I will be updating this post with the selected Pokemon when I receive PMs from both battlers.

Frizy vs Raseri
Jirachi Landorus-I Tyranitar | Celebi Jirachi Victini

No deadline of course, please don't take forever. Good luck!

Last edited:

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
frizy's matchup is far better than raz's but both are cool w/ me :>

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Raseri to win although Frizy has the advantage here :D

Strong Raseri getting through to finals with fairies all the way

edit: shesh skylight >:| and there IS a way for Celebi to win I think...

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just wanted to post this lovely choice wording here (said by none other than sandshrewz)

<&Patascript> lol Raseri has a hard one against Frizy

both suck but frizy knows more, so ras will lose probs sry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)