3v3 Singles Metagame Discussion Thread [The Pentagon is back!!]

Barrier/twave/roost w/ rocky helmet

Would be so much better with multiscale though ;;
Inner Focus kinda helps it counter common flinch users, like Kang and Lopunny and Ambipom. Other than that, yeah rip Multiscale

also soz for making that its own thread

I just really cannot see this DNite outside of doubles/triples. Bulky helmet is done better by Skarmory. If DNite didn't have a 4x weakness to ice(which is often special,) it might work, but as is it just seems worthless. Maybe Roar to shuffle for hazard damage, and then just one attack that's weak and/ or has mons immune to it?

I just really cannot see this DNite outside of doubles/triples. Bulky helmet is done better by Skarmory. If DNite didn't have a 4x weakness to ice(which is often special,) it might work, but as is it just seems worthless. Maybe Roar to shuffle for hazard damage, and then just one attack that's weak and/ or has mons immune to it?
I think you would only use it on a specific team where you want some sort of kang check and also the resists that dnite provides. Or if you just wanna mess around. It definitely won't be a top tier set but it could be decent-ish i think.

I think you would only use it on a specific team where you want some sort of kang check and also the resists that dnite provides. Or if you just wanna mess around. It definitely won't be a top tier set but it could be decent-ish i think.
...ID Helmet Skarms checks/counters most Kang. DNite falls to the somewhat common Ice Punch, and defensive ones are likely to be outspeed and threatened with Rock Slides. Even if you have a Barrier up Kang might flinch you to death. That's much less of a concern for Skarms which is neutral to rock with higher Def.

I am curious to see what sets people find for this odd DNite.

...ID Helmet Skarms checks/counters most Kang. DNite falls to the somewhat common Ice Punch, and defensive ones are likely to be outspeed and threatened with Rock Slides. Even if you have a Barrier up Kang might flinch you to death. That's much less of a concern for Skarms which is neutral to rock with higher Def.

I am curious to see what sets people find for this odd DNite.
I know ID skarm counters kang well.. what im saying is you would only use dnite if you want it's specific resists(RESISTS THAT SKARM DOES NOT HAVE)(AND NOT RESISTS FOR KANG, JUST RESISTS IN GENERAL THAT YOUR TEAM MIGHT APPRECIATE). Did you just skip over that part mang?

I know ID skarm counters kang well.. what im saying is you would only use dnite if you want it's specific resists(RESISTS THAT SKARM DOES NOT HAVE)(AND NOT RESISTS FOR KANG, JUST RESISTS IN GENERAL THAT YOUR TEAM MIGHT APPRECIATE). Did you just skip over that part mang?
Oops sorry. But even with all its resists, it's weaknesses are gonna take a toll, particularly when it's not that bulky without Multiscale, at least compared to Skarms and Mandibuzz(among some other stuff,) which are better for Def boosting helmet, and have no 4x weaknesses. I don't think DNite is bad, just that Inner Focus Barrier won't make any sense in singles(since Multiscale DD plays more to its strengths.) Mayb in Doubles/Triples where the ability is sorta useful, though I still have some doubts. If someone has an oddball team where this weird DNite is the perfect fit for the last slot(!), they should probably change a lot about their team.

EDIT: Another big problem with this DNite is a susceptibility to Toxic, which Skarms is immune to.

Oops sorry. But even with all its resists, it's weaknesses are gonna take a toll, particularly when it's not that bulky without Multiscale, at least compared to Skarms and Mandibuzz(among some other stuff,) which are better for Def boosting helmet, and have no 4x weaknesses. I don't think DNite is bad, just that Inner Focus Barrier won't make any sense in singles(since Multiscale DD plays more to its strengths.) Mayb in Doubles/Triples where the ability is sorta useful, though I still have some doubts. If someone has an oddball team where this weird DNite is the perfect fit for the last slot(!), they should probably change a lot about their team.

EDIT: Another big problem with this DNite is a susceptibility to Toxic, which Skarms is immune to.
Yeah DD/CB will always be the better sets by far. Helmet will mostly be just for fun. Like helmet hydreigon.

Inner Focus tho...
Not used to thinking about that lol, good catch. But that hardly catapults its viability or anything.

Anyways, not many people use Def boosting moves. Considering I'm one of the few who actually likes these moves and even I don't think this thing will be good, I can't see anyone else using it. At least in Singles, though Inner Focus will perhaps be expected in other formats, so no one will try to flinch DNite anyways. Also don't see why you'd wanna bother with Barrier in doubles/triples. With two Pokes out, the foe has double the chance to have a special attacker that won't care about Barrier boosts(triple the chance in triples.)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does the Dragonite come in a special ball ie: Cherish? Because as soon as I see that come out I'm going straight for the Ice Punch with Khan / Lop instead of being tricked into Fake Outing

Also, let's look at Dragonite's resists: Fire, Water, Grass, Fighting, and Bug. How many of those are commonly physical? Apart from setting up on Blaziken lacking a Rock move, what else is it gonna do?

3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/114/#single

Hey guys i just noticed i became 3d of my country, the netherlands, in season 4! I am daphne in alphasapphire. This sounds cooler than it is though because the netherlands is small and pokemon is not so popular here xd

Does the Dragonite come in a special ball ie: Cherish? Because as soon as I see that come out I'm going straight for the Ice Punch with Khan / Lop instead of being tricked into Fake Outing

Also, let's look at Dragonite's resists: Fire, Water, Grass, Fighting, and Bug. How many of those are commonly physical? Apart from setting up on Blaziken lacking a Rock move, what else is it gonna do?
Fire, Fighting, and Bug are all commonly physical.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Most mons with those attacking types tend to carry Ice coverage in Hidden Power and Ice Punch and so on. The only thing I can think of that it actually walls is Heatran and that can just Toxic you :/

Most mons with those attacking types tend to carry Ice coverage in Hidden Power and Ice Punch and so on. The only thing I can think of that it actually walls is Heatran and that can just Toxic you :/
Plus Barrier is worth nothing against Heatran. This DNite is a failure lol.

3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/114/#single

Hey guys i just noticed i became 3d of my country, the netherlands, in season 4! I am daphne in alphasapphire. This sounds cooler than it is though because the netherlands is small and pokemon is not so popular here xd
Yeah sadly there's not many active Dutch players. I'm 7th in the Netherlands (my name is Belenos on OR) and I've barely played beyond the first weeks of the season (19W 14L), so that says a lot about the state of competitive Pokémon in our country (VGC might be a bit better, though, I don't know). Though I do feel like there's some sort of bragging rights associated with being in the top 10 of your country, I especially like bragging towards my parents (because they don't understand Pokémon at all but are proud of me when I say I'm one of the best in the country).

You were number 1 in season 13 which gives you even more bragging rights!

Huh wow really? :o i didnt even know i was number one back then! Xd thanks for letting me know, and do you have time to battle with me besides your busy pokemon statistics activities?

Hey all, I was thinking that one of the best thing to do in battlespot is to have a switch into a predicted move where you have a type immunity of, aka switching gengar in if your opponent kanghaskan is trying to double-edge. Therefore i decided to see if I was able to make a team that has the best chance of predicting the right type of move and ability to switch in a pokemon immune to it so i came to the following pokemon:

I decided to begin with the amazing synergy that hydreigon and aegislash have and added lopunny in to form a core that covers a lot of its weaknesses with immunities:

Hydreigon Aegislash Lopunny

-Hydreigon weak to fighting switch to aegislash
-Aegislash weak to ghost switch to mega lopunny
-Aegislash weak to ground switch to hydreigon
-Lopunny weak to psychic switch to hydreigon
-Lopunny weak to fighting switch to aegislash

Togekiss extra
Hydreigon weak to dragon switch to togekiss
Aegislash weak to ground swith to togekiss
Togekiss weak to poison swith to aegislash

Heatran extra
-Heatran weak to ground switch to hydreigon
-Heatran weak to ground switch to togekiss
-Togekiss weak to poison switch to heatran
-Aegislash weak to fire switch to heatran

Gastrodon extra
Heatran weak to water switch to gastrodon
Togekiss weak to electric switch to gastrodon

In this way i added pokemon until i had 14 switchins where a super effective move would result in no damage aka a free switchin.

Id like to ask two questions: is anybody able to make a team that has more of these possible switchins (with viable pokemon of course) and second: do you think using this concept for teambuilding is a good way to build a team?

Im curious to your answers.

Btw, just for lols, i also made a team with all immunities available:

Team with all immunities

Heatran fire poison
Gastrodon water electric
Azumarril grass dragon
Hydreigon psychic ground
Mega kangaskhan ghost
Gengar normal fighting ground

Last edited:
I really don't think you can just make teams based on immunities. Lot of pokemon carry coverage moves and have dual typings. For example, against blaziken your original 3 (lopunny, hydreigon, aegislash) can't do much. I believe in creating teams that can check or counter certain top used pokemon and have a lot of synergy. For example, azumarill and gengar are such a great duo despite the fact that the only type mega gengar can switch into for azu is grass or normal. Also, azu is not even weak to normal. Another example is porygon2 and mawile-m which do not share a common resistance and weakness. That being said, it definitely plays a role while teambuilding but it's doesn't mean I'd just teambuild using that only. There are multiple factors such as usage, matchups, synergy, and of course preference that go into account for me while I teambuild.

Hey all, I was thinking that one of the best thing to do in battlespot is to have a switch into a predicted move where you have a type immunity of, aka switching gengar in if your opponent kanghaskan is trying to double-edge. Therefore i decided to see if I was able to make a team that has the best chance of predicting the right type of move and ability to switch in a pokemon immune to it so i came to the following pokemon:

I decided to begin with the amazing synergy that hydreigon and aegislash have and added lopunny in to form a core that covers a lot of its weaknesses with immunities:

Hydreigon Aegislash Lopunny

-Hydreigon weak to fighting switch to aegislash
-Aegislash weak to ghost switch to mega lopunny
-Aegislash weak to ground switch to hydreigon
-Lopunny weak to psychic switch to hydreigon
-Lopunny weak to fighting switch to aegislash

Togekiss extra
Hydreigon weak to dragon switch to togekiss
Aegislash weak to ground swith to togekiss
Togekiss weak to poison swith to aegislash

Heatran extra
-Heatran weak to ground switch to hydreigon
-Heatran weak to ground switch to togekiss
-Togekiss weak to poison switch to heatran
-Aegislash weak to fire switch to heatran

Gastrodon extra
Heatran weak to water switch to gastrodon
Togekiss weak to electric switch to gastrodon

In this way i added pokemon until i had 14 switchins where a super effective move would result in no damage aka a free switchin.

Id like to ask two questions: is anybody able to make a team that has more of these possible switchins (with viable pokemon of course) and second: do you think using this concept for teambuilding is a good way to build a team?

Im curious to your answers.

Btw, just for lols, i also made a team with all immunities available:

Team with all immunities

Heatran fire poison
Gastrodon water electric
Azumarril grass dragon
Hydreigon psychic ground
Mega kangaskhan ghost
Gengar normal fighting ground
Like this idea a lot. Not that it's all you should consider making a team Ofc, but having immunities, or really good resistances which are the next best thing, is great. An example for me would my Drifblim, which can switch in on a lot of stuff and then set up, and Heatran which switches in for free on a number of things. Besides its great immunities to fire and poison, it is also 4x resistant to bug, grass, ice, and fairy(only 4x fairy resistant mon.) It can also switch in for free on a lot of 2x resists like flying from Talon.

Like aniravjain mentioned lots of Pokes have pretty good coverage. For instance, Mega Gengar is fine switching in on Kang's DE(only if it's already mega Ofc,) but it caexpect to eat an EQ the next turn(not on all Kang, but not a rare move either.) Another thing is how common a type is. Having Hydra to switch in on Psychic moves for Lopunny really doesn't matter much since psychic is one of the least common offensive types, and if it's just something with psychic coverage and not Ghost Aegi can switch in very well.

I find immunities to certain status category moves to be at least as important as immunity to attacking types. A Grass type is really nice to absorb Spore and Sleep Powder, and also switch in for free on Leech Seed. That's part of why I use Mega Venu so much. Physical fire types have a good time against stuff like Mega Sableye that wants to WoW them but can't. Electric and ground types are great for switching in on T-Waves, while the former is safe from Glare as well. Having a steel type or two(I have two and Venu,) is really nice for having a Toxic switch in. Abilities are also really important for these moves, such as the aforementioned Lopunny switching in on T-Wave pee mega and being immune thanks to Limber.

While not common, making immunities can be really devastating. An example is Starmie using Reflect Type on Venu. It's now immune to Sleep Powder and Leech Seed, and takes tiny damage from Giga Drain. It can then take Venu out with Psychic STAB, or maybe even stall with Scald's burn chance and recover if it doesn't have Psychic STAB.

Idk if that was helpful at all, but at least it couldn't have hurt. And you really shouldn't double post :p

Like this idea a lot. Not that it's all you should consider making a team Ofc, but having immunities, or really good resistances which are the next best thing, is great. An example for me would my Drifblim, which can switch in on a lot of stuff and then set up, and Heatran which switches in for free on a number of things. Besides its great immunities to fire and poison, it is also 4x resistant to bug, grass, ice, and fairy(only 4x fairy resistant mon.) It can also switch in for free on a lot of 2x resists like flying from Talon.

Like aniravjain mentioned lots of Pokes have pretty good coverage. For instance, Mega Gengar is fine switching in on Kang's DE(only if it's already mega Ofc,) but it caexpect to eat an EQ the next turn(not on all Kang, but not a rare move either.) Another thing is how common a type is. Having Hydra to switch in on Psychic moves for Lopunny really doesn't matter much since psychic is one of the least common offensive types, and if it's just something with psychic coverage and not Ghost Aegi can switch in very well.

I find immunities to certain status category moves to be at least as important as immunity to attacking types. A Grass type is really nice to absorb Spore and Sleep Powder, and also switch in for free on Leech Seed. That's part of why I use Mega Venu so much. Physical fire types have a good time against stuff like Mega Sableye that wants to WoW them but can't. Electric and ground types are great for switching in on T-Waves, while the former is safe from Glare as well. Having a steel type or two(I have two and Venu,) is really nice for having a Toxic switch in. Abilities are also really important for these moves, such as the aforementioned Lopunny switching in on T-Wave pee mega and being immune thanks to Limber.

While not common, making immunities can be really devastating. An example is Starmie using Reflect Type on Venu. It's now immune to Sleep Powder and Leech Seed, and takes tiny damage from Giga Drain. It can then take Venu out with Psychic STAB, or maybe even stall with Scald's burn chance and recover if it doesn't have Psychic STAB.

Idk if that was helpful at all, but at least it couldn't have hurt. And you really shouldn't double post :p
And 4x resistance to steel!

I really don't think you can just make teams based on immunities. Lot of pokemon carry coverage moves and have dual typings. For example, against blaziken your original 3 (lopunny, hydreigon, aegislash) can't do much. I believe in creating teams that can check or counter certain top used pokemon and have a lot of synergy. For example, azumarill and gengar are such a great duo despite the fact that the only type mega gengar can switch into for azu is grass or normal. Also, azu is not even weak to normal. Another example is porygon2 and mawile-m which do not share a common resistance and weakness. That being said, it definitely plays a role while teambuilding but it's doesn't mean I'd just teambuild using that only. There are multiple factors such as usage, matchups, synergy, and of course preference that go into account for me while I teambuild.
Yeah thats true. Only using type synergy is not enough to build a good team. Maybe i can add moves and pokemon and sets so that i can also fulfill the other needs for a team. Checking and countering top threat pokemon is my next goal for this team then. Which pokemon are considered top threat in your opinions?

Last edited:
Me and NOVED have been theorymonning a SpDef Gyarados set. It would run Waterfall, Crunch, Taunt and Thunder Wave. It wishes it had recovery, but the benefits provided by its current moveset are astonishing. It surprisingly beats lots of stuff, including Blaziken, Greninja, Mamoswine, and Gengar. You can run with it either Leftovers or Mega Stone. Leftovers gives you passive recovery, which is nice against bulkier threats that you can beat 1v1 (think Cress and P2), or Mega Stone for a massive boost to its SpDef and a different defensive typing. What do you all think of this set? Do you think it's worth running over other Gyarados sets?

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and NOVED have been theorymonning a SpDef Gyarados set. It would run Waterfall, Crunch, Taunt and Thunder Wave. It wishes it had recovery, but the benefits provided by its current moveset are astonishing. It surprisingly beats lots of stuff, including Blaziken, Greninja, Mamoswine, and Gengar. You can run with it either Leftovers or Mega Stone. Leftovers gives you passive recovery, which is nice against bulkier threats that you can beat 1v1 (think Cress and P2), or Mega Stone for a massive boost to its SpDef and a different defensive typing. What do you all think of this set? Do you think it's worth running over other Gyarados sets?
Spdef gyarados is very new for me. I know physcial variants of course with intimidate and rocky helmet. Can you run some calcs? How does it do against important special attckers? Does it beat gengar after a w-o-w? How many attack evs do you run? Can normal form beat cresselia? That sounds impressive for a defensive set. Taunt is great for stall pokemon of course.

I feel like a 4x electric weakness pretty much kills the viability of a SpD set. Thundy and Rotom forms are common special attackers with electric coverage, and then there's also Manectric and the rare Amoharos. Physically bulky Gyara beats Blaziken too(and with more health to spare since Blazi is mainly physical,) Mamo(again physical lol,) and still isn't all that much better vs Gengar since it can Wisp you(WoW is a pretty common move on Gengar, and any Gengar with it will use it first on Gyara.) P2 also often has Discharge, so there's that.

I feel like a 4x electric weakness pretty much kills the viability of a SpD set. Thundy and Rotom forms are common special attackers with electric coverage, and then there's also Manectric and the rare Amoharos. Physically bulky Gyara beats Blaziken too(and with more health to spare since Blazi is mainly physical,) Mamo(again physical lol,) and still isn't all that much better vs Gengar since it can Wisp you(WoW is a pretty common move on Gengar, and any Gengar with it will use it first on Gyara.) P2 also often has Discharge, so there's that.
You can carry a pocket Mega Stone to only be 2x weak. This removes defensive Electric-types' ability to put on the hurt TOO much (think Rotom formes and defensive Thund), but the offensive ones still hurt, yes. It just eats up neutral special coverage. And why are you staying in on an Electric type with any Gyara that isn't Mega?

I'm going to run some calcs later, don't worry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)