RMT "A New Creation" Kerfluffle VoltTurn Peaked

"A New Creation" Kerfluffle VoltTurn Peaked #78

Hey guys, my name is Josh aka ultraplayer. I've been playing competitive Pokemon since early XY and have become pretty decent at it. During the past few months I've been getting pretty bored of standard Pokemon and been trying to find ways to entertain myself. When the release of Kerfluffle happened, I decided to give it a whirl and see if I could make it in this metagame. After a few hours of building, calcing, and testing I finally came up with what I thought might be a decent squad. Little did I know this team would take me pretty far up the ladder.

Team at a glance:
Kerfluffle.png Colossoil.png Mega Scizor.png Rotom-W.png Talonflame.png Landorus-T.png

Teambuilding Process:

Kerfluffle.png
Obviously the starting point of this team is Kerfluffle, CAP's newest star. Kerfluffle sports an amazing offensive typing combined with Parting Shot make it a force to reckoned with in this meta.

[Kerfluffle.png Colossoil.png
I paired Kerfluffle with Colossoil as I wanted a Pursuit trapper for bulky Psychic types while also being able to pressure the Poison types that try to handle Kerfluffle.

Kerfluffle.png Colossoil.png Mega Scizor.png
Next I needed a good way to handle things like Clefable. Mega Metagross also seemed like an issue. I also at this point decided on making the team VoltTurn as opposed to my original offensive route so I added Mega Scizor.

Kerfluffle.png Colossoil.png Mega Scizor.png Rotom-W.png
Bird spam. The killer of all teams.....Rotom-W is here to help handle that as well as another turner.

Kerfluffle.png Colossoil.png Mega Scizor.png Rotom-W.png Talonflame.png
Talonflame is here as it was my first thought of a Kerfluffle answer as I built it immediately as Kerfluffle came out and I knew it'd be common.

Kerfluffle.png Colossoil.png Mega Scizor.png Rotom-W.png Talonflame.png Landorus-T.png
Lastly I needed a rock setter, picked Landorus-T as it also provides good synergy with some of the other mons.

Not many edits were made to this team as I've played numerous games and the team still seems to be solid. There were some edits such as switching Landorus to Tomohawk but I ended up switching it back. Other than that I only changed some of the sets here and there.

On to the individual sets:

Kerfluffle.png
Amy Rose (Kerfluffle) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Parting Shot

Kerfluffle is the first mon, being able to take down top threats in the game with it's great coverage. Moonblast and Focus Blast are STAB moves that hit a good portion of the meta super effectively or neutrally. Hidden Power Ground is to hit thing like Crucibelle, Plasmanta, Mollux, and Kitsunoh for good damage; for the most part OHKOing after they switch into Moonblast. Parting Shot is used for keeping up momentum and weakening slower threats to help later mons to set up. Natural Cure is the desired ability as it allows Kerfluffle to take status with no issue. The EVs are standard for offensive mons with a Timid nature to ensure you outspeed the likes of Mega Metagross, Mega Crucibelle, Serperior, Keldeo, and many other threats.

Colossoil.png
Armadillomon (Colossoil) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Pursuit

Colossoil acts as a Pursuit trapper, helping to wear down things like Kitsunoh and bulky Psychic types for Kerfluffle, as well as getting chip damage on mons that wall M-Scizor and Talonflame. Pursuit is a given for Pursuit trappers, Knock Off is a great spammable STAB move for Colossoil, EQ as a secondary STAB move, with Rapid Spin to keep hazards away. Colossoil makes a great pivot with an Assault Vest allowing it to lure and kill checks to threats such as Krillowatt. Guts allows Colossoil to switch more comfortably into Rotom-W being able to have it's Attack boosted with upon being burned. The EVs are standard; allowing Colossoil to take a LO Superpower from Syclant after Stealth Rocks, maximizing Attack, then throwing the rest into SpDef.

Mega Scizor.png

Ricochet (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Atk / 176 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Widely regarded as the best Mega in OU, Mega Scizor is just as threatening in this meta. Scizor in this instance acts as a great Fairy resist as well as an answer to Mega Metagross. Specifically I've gone with Bulky SD as it allows me to set up on and greatly damage common checks to Scizor in Plasmanta and Cyclohm. U-Turn allows me to keep up momentum while also acting as a great STAB option for Pokemon that resist Steel. Swords Dance and Roost allow Mega Scizor to boost his attack and staying healthy while doing it. Bullet Punch is mandatory on any Scizor set for Technician boosted priority. Once again EVs are standard: The given bulk allows Mega Scizor to avoid 2HKO's from the likes of Mega Gardevoir, Landorus, Colossoil, and +1 Mega Altaria, while outright walling the likes of Mega Venusaur, Mega Metagross, Mega Diancie, and many more granted they don't have Fire coverage. 16 Spe EVs allow Mega Scizor to outspeed opposing bulky Mega Scizors, those that try to speed creep 0 speed Mega Scizor, 0 speed Mollux, and max speed Modest Mega Ampharos. The rest of the EVs are spilled into Attack to boost Scizor's offensive presence.

Rotom-W.png

Kenmore (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump

Rotom-W acts as a great pivot as well as an answer to the likes of Talonflame, Heatran, Mega Pinsir, and Landorus-T. A very standard set known by almost everyone: Near max HP and max Defense to increase bulky while also minimizing Burn/Toxic/Leech Seed damage, Volt Switch for initiative, Hydro Pump for STAB, Pain Split as a semi reliable form of recovery, and Wisp to cripple physical attackers. 8 Speed EVs allow Rotom to avoid being speed crept by the likes of Suicune or slower Heatran sets while also guaranteeing you outspeed max speed neutral Ampharos before it Mega Evolves and Crawdaunt.

Talonflame.png

FOB (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Especially when fully invested in Special Defense , Talonflame is a great answer to Kerfluffle, CAPs newest star. While there were many sets I could've gone with for Talonflame I wanted the SpDef Bulk Up set as it is very solid in this tier especially when paired with Mega Scizor as they help weaken each others threats. Bulk Up allows you to boost your physical stats so fully investing in HP and Special Defense is a must. 8 Speed EVs allow Talonflame to outspeed Mild Kyurem Black allowing Talonflame to Wisp or Bulk Up before Kyurem can Fusion Bolt. Brave Bird is used as a great STAB move and is chosen over Acrobatics as the Leftovers recovery is too good to pass up. Wisp acts a great way to passively weaken checks and counters to Talonflame as well as getting Talonflame an easier time setting up on physical attackers such as Mega Metagross, Kitsunoh, Mega Scizor, and Colossoil.

Landorus-T.png

Toph (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The last thing I needed a Rocker that could stand up to the likes of Excadrill, Landorus-T, Colossoil, Cawmodore, and Mega Charizard X. Landorus-T was chosen as Intimidate is very useful for preventing Mega Zard X from sweeping as well as being a great lure for Ferrothorns and Mega Scizors. Rocky Helmet helps wear down physical attackers, Earthquake is for general STAB purposes, and Stealth Rock is for wearing down the opponents teams. HP Fire and a Relaxed nature allow Landorus to lure in Mega Scizor, Cawmodore, and Ferrothorn, 2HKOing the first two and 3HKOing the latter. The EVs allow Landorus to tank physical hits as much as possible while also avoiding the OHKO from Mega Manectric's HP Ice.

Proof of Peak:

Screenshot (4).png

Showdown Live I recorded with this team (Pre HP Fire Landorus):

Threat List:

Mega Zard X Sprite.png
Mega Charizard X is possibly the biggest issue to this team as my best answer is Landorus' Earthquake. If the opponent plays with it well, there is a good chance it'll sweep the whole team.

Rotom-W Sprite.png
Rotom-W is not the biggest threat but it does get special mention as it handles my 2 sweepers rather well and my best switch in is Colossoil which takes about 40 from a Hydro Pump.

Aurumoth sprite.png
Aurumoth has the potential to deal great damage to my team especially when the opponent uses Illusion well. Not impossible to handle, but a big nuisance.

Importable:

Amy Rose (Kerfluffle) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Parting Shot

Armadillomon (Colossoil) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Pursuit

Ricochet (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 176 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Kenmore (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump

FOB (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Toph (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hope you enjoyed reading! I look forward to all compliments and criticisms!​

Attachments

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
yo this is a very standard looking team, kerfuffle volt-turn is something that a lot of people have been using due to the ability to get kerfuffle in and hit hard or pivot out again with parting shot. i have a very similar team with some minor differences. first off, double ground is an interesting concept with the ability to break down steels and make it easier to sweep with mscizor. however, lando already does this job fine and you have kerfuffle to focus blast any steel and you have rotom-w to pivot/burn them and you have scizor which beats most steels 1v1. i would recommended changing colosoill to latios. yes you lose the ability to to pursuit trap and take on aurumoth, but you gain a very nice answer to rotom-w, still retain hazard control, another way to deal with megavenu as the only answer is spd talonflame, and an ability to revenge kill +1 zard with the choice scarf.
thats the only real pokemon change but there are some sets i would like you to consider changing. on kerfuffle, you can change hp ground to taunt. stallbreaker talon is your only answer to stall, while a good check to it, more checks cant hurt as this allows kerf to beat chansey. you have lando/rotom/talon to beat mollux and kitsunoh so it snot really needed. i think hp fire is a neat lure for scizor but you can potentially change it to knock off, to help break down walls like rotomw for either scizor/talon, for stone edge for talon since spd bulk up talon w/ wisp could be a threat since rotom is your best check and gets worn down easily. just some suggestions.
solid team, lots of people have been using this sort of team. i personally spammed it in the playtest tour and it works well. best of luck!

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good team! Thanks for making the video as well. Loves the pronunciations, makes Pyroak sound a lot more Polynesian (Pyro-Ak, ha!).

Thank you for posting this.

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hey there Ultra Player, nice team!

I really like how your team plays around kerf! and has talonflame to threaten common kerf checks whilst threatening one of talonflames biggest problems; banded tyranitar.

Some suggestions:

Firstly I'd change Change Colossoil to Latios! Latios retains more momentum as a hazard remover on your team as it doesn't lose to common hazard removers like tomohawk. As well as this it's able to be a very potent water check, for things like keldeo or manaphy, which your team needs. A set with Draco Meteor/Recover/Defog/Psychic would be nice, Life orb and 252 Spa/252 spe.
Secondly I'd change Rotom-W to Tomohawk. Tomohawk provides your team with a reliable cawmodore check, ground check, mega zard x check and rocks. This frees up more space on your team for you to optimize the offensive pressure.
Thirdly I'd change Talonflame to Banded Tyranitar. This allows you to pressure chansey much more and makes you able to trap all the things colo wanted too before + chansey at a better rate allowing your special pokemon to break through stall teams and bulky teams at a more efficient rate. 180 HP/252 Atk/76 Spe Crunch Pursuit Stone Edge Super Power. Superpower > Ice punch to allow you to break through steel types for scizor and latios.
Lastly I'd change Landoros-T to Thundurs. A set with Thunder Wave/Knock Off/ThunderBolt/Hidden Power Ice. Thunder wave allows you to twave aurumoth and then revenge kill with tyranitar. Knock off allows you to knock off incoming latios/latias/chansey allowing them to be dealt with easier by tyranitar. Hidden power ice is for ground types like landorus-t/garchomp/gliscor however focus blast could be used for hitting steel types like ferro/heatran, and grass knot can be used for hitting quag and gastro allowing for more pressure vs stall teams. Thundurus also acts like a pinsir check which can twave pinsir if too low to take a +2 quick attack or to tbolt.

I also really enjoyed the video and I know that we as a community definitely appreciate the exposure!

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Secondly I'd change Rotom-W to Tomohawk. Tomohawk provides your team with a reliable cawmodore check, ground check, mega zard x check and rocks. This frees up more space on your team for you to optimize the offensive pressure.
Thirdly I'd change Talonflame to Banded Tyranitar. This allows you to pressure chansey much more and makes you able to trap all the things colo wanted too before + chansey at a better rate allowing your special pokemon to break through stall teams and bulky teams at a more efficient rate. 180 HP/252 Atk/76 Spe Crunch Pursuit Stone Edge Super Power. Superpower > Ice punch to allow you to break through steel types for scizor and latios.
Lastly I'd change Landoros-T to Thundurs. A set with Thunder Wave/Knock Off/ThunderBolt/Hidden Power Ice. Thunder wave allows you to twave aurumoth and then revenge kill with tyranitar. Knock off allows you to knock off incoming latios/latias/chansey allowing them to be dealt with easier by tyranitar. Hidden power ice is for ground types like landorus-t/garchomp/gliscor however focus blast could be used for hitting steel types like ferro/heatran, and grass knot can be used for hitting quag and gastro allowing for more pressure vs stall teams. Thundurus also acts like a pinsir check which can twave pinsir if too low to take a +2 quick attack or to tbolt.
I disagree. You want to take away both ground types which makes no sense. Tomohawk is a worse cawm check bc of acrobatics. lando gets rocks as well and rotom-w is still a ground check. you cant take away talon as it beats steel for sciz and a win con. its also the only grass check since tomohawk's air slash is piss poor week. all thundurus does is para it so you can revenge kill but you can do that w/ scarf lati. lando gets knock and is also a pinsir check
these changes make literally no sense

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
I disagree. You want to take away both ground types which makes no sense. Tomohawk is a worse cawm check bc of acrobatics. lando gets rocks as well and rotom-w is still a ground check. you cant take away talon as it beats steel for sciz and a win con. its also the only grass check since tomohawk's air slash is piss poor week. all thundurus does is para it so you can revenge kill but you can do that w/ scarf lati. lando gets knock and is also a pinsir check
these changes make literally no sense
+5 252 Atk Cawmodore Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 385-454 (100.7 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO and rotom isn't a good cawm check due to it being very vulnerable to weakening. tomohawk does the job better. electric types are taken out by banded ttar or latios. If an opponent goes into a steel type to check scizor you have kerf with a u-turn to get ferro/heatran and thundy for skarm. And life orb roost is better as a hazard remover over scarf.
+1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 289-342 (75.6 - 89.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock not good enough.

emma

DPL Champion
+5 252 Atk Cawmodore Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 385-454 (100.7 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO and rotom isn't a good cawm check due to it being very vulnerable to weakening. tomohawk does the job better. electric types are taken out by banded ttar or latios. If an opponent goes into a steel type to check scizor you have kerf with a u-turn to get ferro/heatran and thundy for skarm. And life orb roost is better as a hazard remover over scarf.
+1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 289-342 (75.6 - 89.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock not good enough.
+6 252 Atk Cawmodore Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 872-1028 (210.6 - 248.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Thundurus: 309-363 (85.3 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

your proposing solutions but none of them actually work lmao

e: i forgot haze but haze is bad imo and ur still losing a ground type for it and you need a ground so i still stand by what i said

Last edited:

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
+6 252 Atk Cawmodore Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 872-1028 (210.6 - 248.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Thundurus: 309-363 (85.3 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

your proposing solutions but none of them actually work lmao

e: i forgot haze but haze is bad imo and ur still losing a ground type for it and you need a ground so i still stand by what i said
Thundurus isn't a counter it's a check?
And you lose a ground type but the team still gives you what the ground types did + more lol

emma

DPL Champion
Thundurus isn't a counter it's a check?
thundurus & landorus check mpinsir at the same level

And you lose a ground type but the team still gives you what the ground types did + more lol
no. tomohawk doesnt beat steels since it needs to run air slash or else your entire team loses to mvenu (which walls like 1/2 the team) besides latios. thundurus isn't heating heatran unless its offensive but then it doesnt beat pinsir. the changes aren't solving any of the issues just opening up new ones
e: also worse against poisons which wall kerf :S

Last edited:

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
thundurus & landorus check mpinsir at the same level

no. tomohawk doesnt beat steels since it needs to run air slash or else your entire team loses to mvenu (which walls like 1/2 the team) besides latios. thundurus isn't heating heatran unless its offensive but then it doesnt beat pinsir. the changes aren't solving any of the issues just opening up new ones
Because all the steel types aren't checked with a combination of kerf scizor and ttar? Kerf beats the slow ones sciz walls megagross and ttar traps tran or gets lured by thundy.
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 314-372 (115.8 - 137.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO Thundy-t is faster (sorry if I wasn't clear about thundy-t) but let's just agree to disagree seeing as this isn't going anywhere.

This is a very good-looking team. Congratulations.

Just so you know, if you remove Colossoil, you will have less answer to Stratagem (Colo himself isn't a very good check anyway). You can Revenge Kill it with Scizor or take a hit with Colo, Kerfluffle (unless it's the Technician one with HP Fly), Rotom (if he hasn't Energy Ball) or Lando, but you still haven't any reliable switch-in to it. It cannot sweep you easily, but be careful when you face it.

Also, when you see a Cawmodore in the opponent's team, you must keep your Rotom very healthy to burn him after his BD (and if you miss, you'll be swept). So you can try Cyclohm instead which is best at stopping Birdspam. Although you will lose a ground check and your only Volt Switch user, Lando-T and Colossoil can be taken by Zor and your own Colossoil (also watch out for Volcanion).

Be very careful when you have to switch on M-Cham et M-Lop carrying Ice punch, LO Tomohawk, CB Azumarill, Specs Volkraken and other Sweeper. But a lot of team are good despite having trouble with them, like yours.

Hope this will help you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)