A Tapu Bulu team using Torkoal/Lilligant/Mimikyu

after seeing 2nd. place at VGC 17's Georgia Regionals Joohwan Kim's Team had Torkoal and Lilligant I wanted to use it. On my last RMT i was shown an article about 3rd. place at Dutch Open 2017 Daniel Öztekin's team that made me want to build a Torkoal Lilligant team. The style of team i have been using since the beginning and hopefully will use until the end of VGC 2017.

Torkoal @ Firium Z
Ability: Drought
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Nature Power
- Protect

I dont want to repeat Daniel Oztekin so I'll just write short summaries of his sets. for Torkoal he wanted a weather setter and i would agree a weather setter is very useful as teams with opposing weather need to be stopped and the teams without weather can't stop you. Torkoal is used to deal damage with its spread and if needed Firium Z causes Torkoal to use Inferno Overdrive which will get around Wide Guard and as Daniel Oztekin said 200BP in the sun is Insane. He ran Relaxed because not doing so is inefficient and when i first tried to make a Torkoal team at the beginning i thought the same because i always feel you should boost your best stat and only never used Relaxed Torkoal because everyone else i saw using Torkoal used a Quiet Nature for more Damage but because Eruption is based on HP having more Defense is equal to more power over the course of a longer game.

Lilligant (F) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 204 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- After You
- Leaf Storm
- Protect

Lilligant has 44 Spe to outspeed a Neutral Spe Choice Scarf Garchomp in the sun. It is useful for spreading sleep if your opponent doesnt have a Tapu Fini or Tapu Koko. Unlike other pokemon who can use sleep powder Lilligant is fast and becomes faster in the sun. 252 SpA and a Modest Nature makes Leafstorm deal as much damage as possible. The rest of the EVs are invested into bulk so that Lilligant will hopefully survive a hit.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 116 HP / 188 Atk / 140 Def / 4 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Substitute
- Protect

Tapu Bulu is used to provide Grassy Terrain allowing Torkoal to survive more Earthquakes. 116 HP gives Tapu Bulu a leftovers number. 140 Def helps Tapu Bulu survive a Celesteela and 60 Spe outspeeds a 4 Spe Milotic. The rest of the EVs are invested into ATK except for the 4 EVs that are in SpD.

Mimikyu @ Mental Herb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Protect

Mimikyu I picked as my Trick Room setter over Porygon2, Nihilego, or Oranguru because of its Physical attack. Mimikyu has Disguise so It is guaranteed to survive one hit and with 244 HP will likely survive another. With Mimikyu being as fast as it is i am using Shadow Sneak so i can use Priority and still go first against slower pokemon in Trick Room. Mental herb prevents it from getting Taunted so Trick Room is almost always guaranteed unless you get double taunted or switched out.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 220 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam

I wanted a Pokemon with the move Fake Out also I wanted another slow Pokemon. Between Sableye and Hariyama I chose Hariyama because Sableye didn't work out too well. The set is Assault Vest Trick Room Support Hariyama from Trainer Tower because i didn't know what else to run on Hariyama

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 164 SpA / 4 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Snarl
- Roar
- Protect

Provides Intimidate. I chose it because of its moves Snarl and Roar, also it provides another special attacker something i started out with a majority of but then ended up needing another one.

Last edited:
Personally I find Guts Flame Orb Hariyama to be more useful, the raw power is pretty incredible. I'd use
Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Feint

First three moves are self-explanatory. I think Feint is a really strong option to stop opponents from using Protect to stall out your Trick Room turns; if you manage to get Hariyama next to Torkoal in Trick Room you can blast through a lot of teams that way.

I'm not sure about your Arcanine spread: I don't think you need that much Special Attack, and if you want to have Speed I'd probably go up to 156 so you outspeed Modest Lele. You can also use Mago instead of Sitrus, between Intimidate and Snarl Arcanine finds itself surviving at low enough ranges to trigger it fairly often. I would try
Arcanine @ Mago Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 108 SpD / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Snarl
- Roar
- Protect
but if you end up wanting the higher special attack then by all means keep it.

Looks pretty solid; are there any matchups you want to improve or are losses more due to bad luck / misplays?

Personally I find Guts Flame Orb Hariyama to be more useful, the raw power is pretty incredible. I'd use
Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Feint

First three moves are self-explanatory. I think Feint is a really strong option to stop opponents from using Protect to stall out your Trick Room turns; if you manage to get Hariyama next to Torkoal in Trick Room you can blast through a lot of teams that way.

I'm not sure about your Arcanine spread: I don't think you need that much Special Attack, and if you want to have Speed I'd probably go up to 156 so you outspeed Modest Lele. You can also use Mago instead of Sitrus, between Intimidate and Snarl Arcanine finds itself surviving at low enough ranges to trigger it fairly often. I would try
Arcanine @ Mago Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 108 SpD / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Snarl
- Roar
- Protect
but if you end up wanting the higher special attack then by all means keep it.

Looks pretty solid; are there any matchups you want to improve or are losses more due to bad luck / misplays?
For The SpAtk that is what was leftover

for Match Ups I want to improve i dont really have any because i haven't used the team too much because i haven't felt like battling but i do love to build so i try to at least build a few teams to improve my skills at building

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)