About HG/SS updating (UU)

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The UU section hasn't been touched for a while, and the other sections have started already. When should we start updating UU analysis with HG/SS changes? There are a lot of analysis lying around in that section. (sorry if this is the wrong section)

To be fair, changes to the UU metagame were definitely more expansive than those to OU and Ubers (BB on Ho-oh) , and it may take a bit of time to sort out what needs a set, what is OO material, and what is trash. I defer to your judgement, but I would err on the side of caution. I would say: maybe a few weeks.

I don't think it needs any more weeks. imo we should start updating now. There's been lots of time to explore and I think we've sorted out what is used standardly already.

I feel that now is probably the best time to voice my concerns regarding UU updating. I worked a lot of the project for around 4 months or so (give or take a bit, I'm doing this off my head), and to be honest I felt as though I was constantly chasing my tail. It is honestly too much work for a couple of people to update between themselves considering UU is dramatically changing quite often. Tests and OU/UU fluctuation really doesn't help it run smoothly, at all. It got to the point where people were probably getting very pissed off (in pure honesty, I was).

When I was working with j7r, we were spending a good few hours every weekend just reading. Reading analyses, checking they make sense, correcting errors, uploading. We were so worried about the quality of things going on site that everything took a hugely long time. Only, a couple of weekends after we had to continue moderating the forum, whilst rereading the same Pokemon's analysis because it had been updated due to changes. Some analyses we never got around to uploading; they were left there, and probably still are. They're likely to be useless now considering the monumental changes. It got to the point where I was actually PMing people asking them to write fresh analyses, updated analyses, just so we could upload it to the site.

When you're just hopping around in a circle, it's going to go nowhere. I got LR to help me after the whole j7r incident, and I think he will now agree with me...it's a ridiculous amount of workload to place on a couple of people. But we were so goddamn paranoid about the quality on-site that we couldn't just mass upload them in small amounts of time - remember we have lives too. Now, with this whole conciseness project, it's quite possibly going to take even more of a detrimental effect (plus Mismagius + Nasty Plot, Yanmega's banning, Alakazam / Rhyperior in UU..etc). I was getting PMs very, very often about how I hadn't put things on-site. And the reason was simple: I didn't have time.

I think, in a sense, there needs to be a major overhaul in the UU revamps (possibly OU, I didn't particularly work on that section though). I think there needs to be a day, or a weekend, where 5/6 respected quality checkers/writers meet up and just go through the whole lot, or at least the majority. Because otherwise you're just going to be chasing about constantly given the circumstances. Most annoyingly for me though, was that I never enjoyed what I enjoyed before, which was working within C&C.

Just my two cents.

/edit: I can't get LR's views on this because he's extremely busy for a while. But after just having a conversation with him in private, I assure you he feels the same way.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@ twash

I see what you mean. I think the best solution right now is taking a look at previous analysis that haven't been touched for a while and updating them first. After that, the writer should make it as concise as possible so its much easier to grammar check. So basically, before touching the analysis for grammar check, I think the best way to make it much faster is by making the analysis concise. I think the biggest problem with grammar checking for several people is the amount of fluff put into the work. I mean, the more concise the more easier to edit. To clear it up:

1. Updating hg/ss
2. Concise
3. Easier time to breeze through grammar checks and whatnot

I think the sticky thread you have up in the UU section should be updated because I think its time to get these updated. Its just a way to give the writers a head start.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If we are restarting UU updates, I will delete Twash's sticky and open the reservation thread again. I just need the seal of approval.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On second thought, we need to seriously discuss this. The constant changing in UU tier from Pokemon entering to Pokemon leaving has hampered the updating process a lot. It has become, IMO, a major problem that needs attention. I don't know how much longer I want to hold off on these because with HG | SS additions a lot needs to be updated as is. I'd like to get these updated, but I can't keep holding off on it. twash reflected a lot of my thoughts with this in general, and I think that, at the moment, the testing has become a "blockade" to the updating.

Keep in mind this isn't, in any way, a personal attack on Jabba nor reach who currently head the UU testing.

EDIT: Talked to Jabba, let's just open these. twashley will be helping me atm but could also use a little more help with UU experts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)