AAA Almost Any Ability

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
the way AAA did it (at least back when i was running it) we treated AAA's bans as their own separate thing from the start of OU, typically, if something is banned in OU but not banned here, it should be specified until a suspect here would happen which would ban it.

basically, the way AAA's tiering philosophy is, that it uses the base of OU's beginning unbans as the starting point then diverges into its own meta. the only thing OU and AAA have in common is the beginning mons. otherwise we treat(ed) it as its own ruleset. enless for some reason this was changed, i'm assuming AAA council still follows this. we did this specifically to diverge itself from OU, and to prevent having to unban mons that aren't worth banning. doing it the reverse way would just confuse everyone. it would have to be talked about once OU bans it, and then we have to talk about unbanning some controversial mons, which wastes time from other suspects and we would have to postpone other suspects just to get it sorted out before its forgotten or w.e.

it saves AAA time for actual crutial metagame threats, rather then debating if metagross, a mon never seen, is banworthy here too...hypothetically speaking. (for a better example, hoopa-u would spark this controversy much better)

im bad at explaining things, but yknow, i dont run AAA anymore, so its up to the council how they want to do things. im just stating how it was treated before i left.(i started gen 7 AAA, so i was the one calling the shots with the nitty gritty stuff like this)

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Quick thought, is the idea of suspecting/quickbanning Hoopa-U likely? Its been a heavily voiced concern throughout the majority of the playerbase from my experience due to the fact that it basically has no true counters and only specific checks according to the myriad of viable sets it can run (band/scarf hustle/tinted, Life Orb Sheer Force, Scarf Psychic Surge, even Nasty Plot). I definetely feel it should be something that can be adressed before OMPL kicks off at least.

Last edited:

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I do like to share another set that hits really hard:

Crabominable @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Hammer
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Crabhammer

I mainly used this set in Trick Room with a Brave nature and 0 Speed EVs. This thing (not kidding) OHKOes or 2HKOes literally everything that doesn't resist its STABs. The set's main moves are Ice Hammer and CC, which, after Adaptability boost and CB, hit really hard. Crabhammer and Earthquake are mostly fillers and are only useful when you want to hit something without chance to miss/decrease Defense and Special Defense and you are sure that those fillers are going to kill. Furthermore, In Trick Room, Ice Hammer decreases Speed and therefore can make Crabominable ''faster'' if it's battling against a ''faster'' Pokemon (or in this case, slower in Trick Room). This thing appreciates Psychic Terrain, as it's weak to 2/4 -ate moves. Also, if you are locked into CC, the Defense drops will make it easier for priority to finish it off before it can destroy.

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crabominable Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 248-292 (74.4 - 87.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crabominable Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Shuckle: 208-246 (85.2 - 100.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (Special Defense based)
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crabominable Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 170-200 (69.6 - 81.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (Defense based) (Without SR, Special Defense has 6.3% to OHKO and the Defense one is guaranteed 2HKO.)
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crabominable Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Magearna: 384-454 (105.4 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Okay so me, the constant poster, found out that Marshadow was released (at least Japan, not sure if all over the world) and already came with a set.
Marshadow @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability / Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Bulk Up

A well known fact that probably everyone knows is that nothing resists both of Marshadow's STABs. Marshadow is incredibly fast, being able to outspeed even Noivern, but not Tapu Koko. Spectral Thief is a great move as it steals the stats of the opponent AKA you can not only stop setting, but further benefit from them, as SD setting isn't that rare. Spectral Thief further doesn't replace the stolen stats. It adds them to the currently boosted stats. Shadow Sneak revenge kills anything that doesn't have Dazzling or is protected by Psyterrain. CC is now doubled and deals lots of damage, even if it's not SE. Bulk Up increases the Attack and Defense, as Marshadow honestly doesn't need coverage. The Attack increasement helps it hit even harder, while the Defense lets it become bulkier and make the CC drop to the Def less fatal. Ebelt here doesn't wear off Marshadow, while increasing the damage to SE moves. However, LO increases it more and is guaranteed to do so. That's why, LO set appreciates Wish and Aromatherapy support. Adaptability lets it boost all of its attacking moves, while Tinted Lens is great against Pokemon that constantly switch to resist the attack. Marshadow doesn't exactly OHKO or 2HKO Celest/Skarm/Doublade and that's why I do run it some Mold Breaker mon with Fire-type moves, specifically Special amirite Mold Breaker Chandelure . Although nothing switches that safely into it, this is the same for Marshadow switching. That's why, I theorize that slow pivot is a great teammate for Marshadow, specifically Forretress, which can further set hazards and make it for Marshadow easier to kill stuff.

Okay so me, the constant poster, found out that Marshadow was released (at least Japan, not sure if all over the world) and already came with a set.
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Bulk Up

A well known fact that probably everyone knows is that nothing resists both of Marshadow's STABs. Marshadow is incredibly fast, being able to outspeed even Noivern, but not Tapu Koko. Spectral Thief is a great move as it steals the stats of the opponent AKA you can not only stop setting, but further benefit from them, as SD setting isn't that rare. Spectral Thief further doesn't replace the stolen stats. It adds them to the currently boosted stats. Shadow Sneak revenge kills anything that doesn't have Dazzling or is protected by Psyterrain. CC is now doubled and deals lots of damage, even if it's not SE. Bulk Up increases the Attack and Defense, as Marshadow honestly doesn't need coverage. The Attack increasement helps it hit even harder, while the Defense lets it become bulkier and make the CC drop to the Def less fatal. Ebelt here doesn't wear off Marshadow, while increasing the damage to SE moves. However, LO increases it more and is guaranteed to do so. That's why, LO set appreciates Wish and Aromatherapy support. Adaptability lets it boost all of its attacking moves, while Tinted Lens is great against Pokemon that constantly switch to resist the attack. Marshadow doesn't exactly OHKO or 2HKO Celest/Skarm/Doublade and that's why I do run it some Mold Breaker mon with Fire-type moves, specifically Special amirite Mold Breaker Chandelure . Although nothing switches that safely into it, this is the same for Marshadow switching. That's why, I theorize that slow pivot is a great teammate for Marshadow, specifically Forretress, which can further set hazards and make it for Marshadow easier to kill stuff.
Not yet tho, its set to be released at july 15 apparently its out. althought i really like the adaptability set, adapatability cc/spectra thief hits really hard, not mentioning it has a great 80 base power priority in ss

Last edited:
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Bulk Up

Why would you use Tinted Lens on a mon with unresisted STABs? Adaptability is much more useful.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
Out? I tried, it is still unreleased.
It isn't implemented on PS yet.
EDIT: Marshadow is now out!

Why would you use Tinted Lens on a mon with unresisted STABs? Adaptability is much more useful.
As I said in the description/usage, it is solely good if an opponent makes constant switches. (Aka switches into something that resists CC/Spec Thief). Otherwise Adaptability for me is really more preferable.

Last edited:
Yay, i just tried it :P
Well, time to play with our new toy.
Hoping that people try seriously to adapt to it and not try ban it XD

It isn't implemented on PS yet.
EDIT: Marshadow is now out!

As I said in the description/usage, it is solely good if an opponent makes constant switches. (Aka switches into something that resists CC/Spec Thief). Otherwise Adaptability for me is really more preferable.
In that case, why not just use Stakeout?

Just noticed that Swagger is still banned here even though it isn't banned in OU and isn't listed as a ban in the OP, is this intentional or just a carry over from when Swagger was banned in gen 6 OU?

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
Just noticed that Swagger is still banned here even though it isn't banned in OU and isn't listed as a ban in the OP, is this intentional or just a carry over from when Swagger was banned in gen 6 OU?
Probably carries from Gen 6, however, I doubt Swagger will be unbanned just for that, mainly because this thing is uncompetitive.

I was gonna use it on a Prankster Marshadow set with Swagger + Spectral Thief, but Marshadow has already been banned in OU, so the only other way to use that move effectively is SwagPlay, and I am fine with that not being around in a meta where anything can use Prankster.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Marshadow Ban + Hoopa-Unbound Suspect Announcement

Marshadow: The council was leaning towards quickbanning Marshadow due to its blazing speed, well documented STAB combo, as well as other nuisances like Shadow Sneak, Spectral Thief, Pursuit, etc. However, OU made our decision easier by quickbanning it so we will follow through. After round 1 of OMPL has concluded, Marshadow will no longer be allowed in AAA.

Hoopa-U: A Hoopa-U suspect has long been discussed, and we are finally beginning it. Hoopa-U possesses insane attacking stats, and an incredible move in Hyperspace fury. It has a wide variety of uses, including Tinted Lens, Sheer Force, Hustle, Psychic Surge, and physical or special sets. The ability to be a mixed attacker is what leaves Hoopa-U so hard to deal with, as players often have to play a guessing game to decide which check to use. Even if players guess right, thing like Tinted Lens Choice Banded Hyperspace Fury have very limited viable checks. Thus, the suspect will begin.

Suspect details:

The requirements to vote are only 2700 COIL on the suspect ladder. Like usual, this is a fairly low requirement, so please participate.

Feel free to post your opinions about Hoopa-U at any time, regardless if you have met the reqs or not. To make your vote, please comment a screenshot of your reqs and in bold write BAN or DO NOT BAN. A 60% majority will be needed for a ban.
Note that Hoopa-U will be allowed on the ladder.
The suspect will end on July 22nd.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but if I meet the requirements and vote in this suspect test, then do I become a tiering contributor?

Got reqs on an alt of mine after I decided to ladder for fun and ended up going 25-1 so BAN this thing. Don't think I need to explain myself that much in depth. Banded Hustle/Lens and Sheer Force each only have about 3 or so different switch ins, and without Duggy it has free rain to kill everything. There is also still the option of scarf to kill offense and some other abilities.

Last edited:
sorry (I am a noob in AAA) But why do you consider hoopa broken? Any <insert fast physical sweeper here> can just easily wipe it out. It's just an information and probably it's a (aa) stupid question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)