Online Competition Alola Friendly [Post Your Results!]

8-4. had enough today after sheer-cold moody Glalie.

3 other loses were on the lovely RNG of missing Bonemerang, crit, and fucking double team.

8-4. had enough today after sheer-cold moody Glalie.

3 other loses were on the lovely RNG of missing Bonemerang, crit, and fucking double team.
Wanna talk about hax? Some chick got the turn one freeze on my Dragonite as it was about to Dragon Dance, activate Weakeness Policy and win me the game right then and there. But nope, I get a freeze instead. Then I send my Porygon2 in, and guess what? She gets a freeze on me, again. But oh boy did I have my revenge. I sent Clefable in and minimized my way to victory in a 1 on 3 scenario. It was glorious, she couldn't get a single hit in! Man, did that make me feel better about that earlier freeze.

Then there's this guy who was running a Porygon-Z with Normalium-Z boosted Hyper Beam that caught me completely off guard. Heck, I thought I had a favourable match up ( I had my specially defensive Clefable on the field ) but then boom! He pops the Z-move and OHKO it. My jaw literally dropped trying to understand what had just happened. All that on turn 1, mind you. But I still hadn't given up hope yet and somehow managed to take one his other pokemon out. Then there we are again, my Porygon2 vs his Porygon-Z and again I thought: "Hey, I can survive 1 hit and KO it. I got dis!". But guess what? Freaking Hyper Beam comes my way and takes my porygon2 out alongside any hope I had of winning that match. I'm not mad about it, though, it was actually impressive.

Right now I'm sitting somewhere in the 1700s and I think I'm not playing anymore because I get this feeling that I'm gonna tilt and I like what current rating looks like lol.

Last edited:
Wanna talk about hax? Some chick got the turn one freeze on my Dragonite as it was about to Dragon Dance, activate Weakeness Policy and win me the game right then and there. But nope, I get a freeze instead. Then I send my Porygon2 in, and guess what? She gets a freeze on me, again. But oh boy did I have my revenge. I sent Clefable in and minimized my way to victory in a 1 on 3 scenario. It was glorious, she couldn't get a single hit in! Man, did that make me feel better about that earlier freeze.

Then there's this guy who was running a Porygon-Z with Normalium-Z boosted Hyper Beam that caught me completely off guard. Heck, I thought I had a favourable match up ( I had my specially defensive Clefable on the field ) but then boom! He pops the Z-move and OHKO it. My jaw literally dropped trying to understand what had just happened. All that on turn 1, mind you. But I still hadn't given up hope yet and somehow manage to take one his other pokemon out. Then there we are again, my Porygon2 vs his Porygon-Z and again I thought: "Hey, I can survive 1 hit and KO it. I got dis!". But guess what? Freaking Hyper Beam comes my way and takes my porygon2 out alongside any hope I had of winning that match. I'm not mad about it, though, it was actually impressive.

Right now I'm sitting around somewhere in the 1700s and I think I'm not playing anymore because I get this feeling that I'm gonna tilt and I like what current rating looks like lol.
Dang I also saw a Snorlax with Giga Impact. Maybe its just me but I havent seen many Giga Impact/Hyper Beam users in competitive. Does the Z-move negate the cooldown after you use it?

Dang I also saw a Snorlax with Giga Impact. Maybe its just me but I havent seen many Giga Impact/Hyper Beam users in competitive. Does the Z-move negate the cooldown after you use it?
Yes, it does! But I thought he'd go for Z-Conversion like everyone else, but nope, Z-Hyper Beam. However, it's like I said, I wasn't even mad—these out-the-box stuff that most people wouldn't try anywhere else is why I enjoy playing these online tournaments to begin with. Stall teams with Toxapex, Celesteela and Umbreon should all eat a dick tho.

Yes, it does! However, I thought he'd go for Z-Conversion like everyone else, but nope, Z-Hyper Beam. However, it's like I said, I wasn't even mad—these out-the-box stuff that most people wouldn't try anywhere else is why I enjoy playing these online tournaments to begin with. Stall teams with Toxapex, Celesteela and Umbreon should all eat a dick tho.
Oh yeah I wouldn't have expected a Z-Hyper Beam either lol. I was using a Scarf Gengar and no one expected the scarf. That one won me a good amount of battles.

Yeah I hate stall teams with a passion too.

Oh yeah I wouldn't have expected a Z-Hyper Beam either lol. I was using a Scarf Gengar and no one expected the scarf. That one won me a good amount of battles.

Yeah I hate stall teams with a passion too.
lol, I told you people that Scarf Gengar was meta. The last game I played was literally just Gengar steamrolling through my opponent's team because he couldn't see the Scarf coming haha. Here's the code if you wanna watch it: 6XGW-WWWW-WWW4-TVT3. It was just too good for me not to save it.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dunno. Maybe something went wrong. Even if it was my connection then I would have lost points and i didn't. I guess I'm just confused now.
if your opponent disconnects you get sent back to the "would you like to continue battling" screen and you are awarded the win, it just takes longer for the points to show than a normal win. if you disconnect you get sent back to the festival plaza and you lose points.

Wanna talk about hax? Some chick got the turn one freeze on my Dragonite as it was about to Dragon Dance, activate Weakeness Policy and win me the game right then and there. But nope, I get a freeze instead.
weakness policy is for scrubs, use lum my dude

weakness policy is for scrubs, use lum my dude
lol I should've, but I had originally planned for that Dnite to have a mixed set with Agility ( to outpace Pheromosa, ScarfChomp & etc ), but I totally forgot to change its moveset before locking my team so I just winged with it. Despite the terrible EV distribution, it did somewhat ok unlike Silvally, who I never even got to use :/

if your opponent disconnects you get sent back to the "would you like to continue battling" screen and you are awarded the win, it just takes longer for the points to show than a normal win. if you disconnect you get sent back to the festival plaza and you lose points.
Ah okay thanks for clearing that up. I guess the delay didn't show the points at first. I never got sent to the plaza.

Despite the terrible EV distribution, it did somewhat ok unlike Silvally, who I never even got to use :/

I've had the opposite experience - I threw in my Silvally purely to fill out the six, but she's come in clutch so many times. I just 3-0'd two teams with her as my lead because nobody expects Bolt/Beam/Boom Silvally.

Last edited:
Just finished the Competition with a 10-5, 10-5, 8-7 record, going to 1623 rating (with 62% wr). Could have gone to 1700 if I was more prepared and smart (like I was at 1650 at some point, beating some 1700s).
Most of the losses came from my inexperience (started playing "competitively" with S/M, didn't have time to do it in ORAS), so I made some bad predicts, wrong ordering of switch-ins that could have given me an edge, and such.

There were a lot of aggressive teams, and thanks to Porygon2 with TR I managed to get a lot of them offguard.
Other than that, I had many problems with Magnezone teams (so many checks to my only anti-zone-mon, Garchomp) and Cloyster (I'm still trying to find a way to reliably kill it without losing another mon).

How's everyone else going? What were your experiences?

So because of real life stuff, I have barely started my Moon game despite buying it when it was released. Are anyone willing to lend me some BR pokemon just so I can make some battles today? :) If so, PM me <3

Finished in the low 1600s, my worst result thus far. Had some bizarre games on my day 3 descent from low 1700s, including getting oneshotted on Gyarados by Electrium-Z Thunder Blissey, hitting 1/3 HJKs on Pheromosa and, most memorably, getting soloed by Sub/Scald/Minimize Starmie.

Speaking of bizarre games, I just lost to a Sub/Disable/Encore/Toxic/Black Sludge Salazzle. How the hell do you even deal with that without a Taunter?

Speaking of bizarre games, I just lost to a Sub/Disable/Encore/Toxic/Black Sludge Salazzle. How the hell do you even deal with that without a Taunter?
Would it just struggle then? Since all it's moves aren't attacking moves.
I'm pretty new to competitive battling I finished in the low 1600's. I kind of wish I built my magnezone with sturdy instead of magnet pull he got OHKO'd almost every time he was in . Also I have a dumb question do weather conditions like hail/sandstorm break a focus sash?

Last edited:
Scored around 1600s with today being a very worse day luck wise. Critical hits everywhere on my opponents side all of them being game changing moments plus got really annoyed when a Lanturn twice in a row froze my two pokemon with ice beam. The opponent was a high leveled player(1730) and that was easily my best played game of the competition only to get ruined by that.
On the bright side I used a Choice Band Crabominable(252hp,252 atk) mostly because I like its offensive power and a surprise to some opponents. The results were better than expected especially as a surprise lead scoring KOs or severely denting switching pokemon with Close combat/Ice Hammer.
Overall beside some annoyance today it was fun as my first competition online :)

matty_ice0719
Yeah they break focus sash.

Also finished at around 1600, had some bad luck today in combination with some wrong predicts by me. Was not prepared for Scarf-Chomp tho, this thing was really annoying cuz I expcted more Booster/ CB-Chomps and builded around for that. Nevertheless it was a nice tournament, I saw lots of nice team strategies I never could have thought of.

e: Anyone knows how long it takes in general until the official results are out?

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
I finished just capping off a win from a 1777 japanese opponent at 1726. I had like 5-6 more games left but i had other stuff to do and I was happy where I finished as I wasn't winning consistently in the 1700s anyway. Wisp Mimikyu was really annoying for my team as my fairy checks were both physical. Glalie was also really annoying to face but I won everytime I played it.

Team:
alola friendly team.png

For once there isn't really anything I want to change about the team. I originally wanted Sub on Celesteela but Protect ended up being very useful for scouting and just getting a bit of extra Leftovers recovery. I kind of wish my Garchomp had Outrage but I didn't have time to breed it and I didn't really lose any games because of it.

Some replays: W63G-WWWW-WWW4-UPS3, YN4W-WWWW-WWW4-UPRS (I had to leave for the last 3 turns in this one but I left my ds running and it somehow won), WYQW-WWWW-WWW4-UPRM, XFCG-WWWW-WWW4-UPRY

I know there are some battles left (... or not, since I didn't battle at all on Friday), but I'm closing this with a 24-9 record, and above 1675. Definetly better than expected, especially after my horrible start today, winning only 1 match of the first 6, but then winning 8 out of 9 (losing the one odd battle thanks to a weakened Porygon-Z being horrified at realizing the Metagross in front was running an Assault Vest).

Today I found more weirdness such as Dual Screens Tapu Koko, physically defensive CurseLax (I could have lost until I realized Porygon-Z had a shot at KOing it at yellow with +1 Thunderbolt) or Scarf Kartana (Night Slash says goodbye to Gengar, but that meant free setup for Cloyster).

I'm sharing my team in text format because I have no idea how to change the Global Link website's language.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Conversion

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Will-O-Wisp

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

As I realized yesterday, I essentially went with 5 Pokemon because Porygon2 didn't fit at all. Perhaps I shouldn't have dropped Mimikyu after all, even if that meant running three Ghosts. Also, the King's Rock on Cloyster was a major disappointment, only triggering when the battle was lost - should have run a Focus Sash or Waterium Z instead (never really used Razor Shell)

PS: I love how some people don't expect Scarf Gengar (PJPW-WWWW-WWW4-UQTS)

Last edited:

I capped off a win from a 1841 player at 1747 so I'm not really sure what my final score will be, but I'm pretty sure I'll make it to the top 100 so yay! I played 35 matches, lost 5.

Arcanine was definitely my mvp, followed closely by Porygon2 that worked as a great glue for my team as otherwise Garchomp would have a field day against me. Dragonite and Clefable were used mostly when I knew Gengar wouldn't help much. So my team would usually look like this: Arcanine ( lead ), Porygon2 and Gengar/Dragonite/Clefable. Never got to use Silvally.

Overall, I had a lot of fun barring those awful full-blown out stall teams I faced a couple of times, but other than that I had a blast. In fact, I'm kinda bummed that I didn't get to see many weird things like some of you guys. Heck, I think the weirdest thing I saw really was Hyper Beam Porygon-Z, and even then it isn't really that weird when you think about it, but oh well.

PS: I love how some people don't expect Scarf Gengar (PJPW-WWWW-WWW4-UQTS)
They REALLY don't haha. But wow, I'd never bring 3 fairy types with me if I saw Gengar on teampreview.

I entered the competition really late with half the team I used in the Battle of Alola. These were:
- Nihilego
- Celesteela
- Marowak

New additions were:
- Toxapex
- Garchomp
- Gyarados

I'm really just a novice at competitive. I have done some on pokemon online in gen4 and after that not so much - but ever reading, learning, experimenting.

Above team wasn't really synergetic or anything. Cool pokemon scraped together. Still, I learnt much:

- Garchomp could use the boost from life orb or SD. Mine didn't carry either, it had rocky helmet.
- Gyarados needs waterfall, not aqua tail. Nuff said (I forgot)
- While red card was a good idea to stop set up, it tends to be bad on Gyarados lol.

- Nihilego is love. So very specially bulky, it allowed me to KO through a lot of pain.
- Celesteela is great, and the weakness policy it carried definitely surprised those who triggered it. Other times it was completely useless and I wished it had those good old leftovers. Overall this girl was in nearly every battle, but sometimes I missed general power. Maybe I shouldn't use Cele so aggressively, but there were many times I wished mine knew HP Ice.

Amyway, my final battle was a loss 4 minutes past the deadline. Hopefully it doesnt count :p

Final score will be ~1550 only. Next time I will want a team that acts like one - carefully picked instead of thrown together.

I'm pretty sure I wound up somewhere in the upper-mid 1600s, which is certainly a higher number, and hopefully a better placement, than my performance in the Battle of Alola. My W/L is, apparently, 29/15 (vs a 25/20). I assume this is because someone disconnected during Team Preview. (I had one disconnect on my end, and at least one more by an opponent - there might have been two).

My biggest problem, I would say, was one of time management. I barely slipped in all 45 battles, and I procrastinated too long on my team in part because I was working on my first playthrough of Pokemon X and ORAS for sweet Pokebank shenanigans. I was putting the finishing touches on my Battle Team the day the tournament dropped, and this is what I wound up with:

My first and greatest mistake was that I did not actually EV train that particular Kartana, so it was dead weight. I only brought Incineroar (who was my obligatory Fire type lacking an Arcanine) once, though I think she might have been useful in most of my Celesteela matchups. Porygon2 was also thrown in as an afterthought for 'glue', and I really should have had Download or gone for full-on Toxic Stall - I didn't put enough thought into it and it usually sat on the bench.

Fortunately, Modest Scarf Lele and Sash Garchomp are both tried-and-true, and AV Muk just thrives in the Tapu-heavy environment (plus Knock Off, yay!) Brick Break blew through three or four Aurora Veils, which felt pretty good. I also encountered a Life Orb Ninetales, which surprised me.

What screwed me the most was Cloyster. The first time I was not expecting it; the second time it was Focus Sash; the third time, it was not the lead Pokemon (and had King's Rock and apparently no Shell Smash?), and the fourth time I forgot that it was probably using Focus Sash. Hilariously, it tried to use Ice Shard in Psychic Terrain so it didn't sweep me, but I still lost because I was nearly two Pokemon down.

Kartana would have been nice here, but I felt very bad about pulling it out in cases where Cloyster didn't even show up because only having that base 109 speed with a few random EVs just made it lose out to, for example, a Garchomp that only didn't kill it because Fire Fang missed.

Apart from that, I can chalk most of my losses up to inexperience or overthinking things (I have learned that you should probably just always mash Earthquake instead of worrying about possible Flying switch-ins).

My personal highlights are the fact that my 45th Match was against a Japanese player using Lusamine's team (Nihilego, Milotic, Bewear, Clefable, Mismagius, Lilligant), and a moment where both my opponent and I used a priority move in Psychic Terrain. (At least I didn't try again on the next round like he did.)

Overall, can't wait to see the next one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)