AlphaMod XY V0.1.6- a new way to play (WIP)

What moves should be made better?

• Total voters
...Y u no give Mew Protean?!!?!?
It's probably absurd, but I would also like to see Mew with the Elemental Hyper Beams, the Pledges, Draco Meteor, Secret Sword and Relic Song. I know those are supposed to be exclusive, but Mew is supposed to learn EVERY TM and Tutor move. Even Meloetta and Keldeo evolved from it in the long run.

It's probably absurd
Yeah, that's pretty much why. While it would be awesome and fitting for Mew to get Protean and all these moves, it would just be broken, even for this pet mod. It would be well suited for Brokemons (R.I.P. :'( ), but it seems like too much for Alphamod. Obviously up to MegaGallade though.

...Y u no give Mew Protean?!!?!?
It's probably absurd, but I would also like to see Mew with the Elemental Hyper Beams, the Pledges, Draco Meteor, Secret Sword and Relic Song. I know those are supposed to be exclusive, but Mew is supposed to learn EVERY TM and Tutor move. Even Meloetta and Keldeo evolved from it in the long run.
I'm sure I gave it Protean for the new update. :P
Yeah, that's pretty much why. While it would be awesome and fitting for Mew to get Protean and all these moves, it would just be broken, even for this pet mod. It would be well suited for Brokemons (R.I.P. :'( ), but it seems like too much for Alphamod. Obviously up to MegaGallade though.
...welp.

EDIT: Yeah.. sounds a bit too broken now I think about it. Gave it Cute Charm instead :P

Last edited:
Ok so I just found this and didn't have the time to read every page of comments, but why doesn't pyroar not get boomburst? I mean it's signature move is noble roar and it has roar in it's name so it kinda is a sound based pokemon like chatot ot noivern, boomburst always seemed kinda fitting to me.
Same goes for meloetta, she's clearly a sound based pokemon, I don't want to throw boomburst on every mon but it just makes sense that she has it.

Ok so I just found this and didn't have the time to read every page of comments, but why doesn't pyroar not get boomburst? I mean it's signature move is noble roar and it has roar in it's name so it kinda is a sound based pokemon like chatot ot noivern, boomburst always seemed kinda fitting to me.
Same goes for meloetta, she's clearly a sound based pokemon, I don't want to throw boomburst on every mon but it just makes sense that she has it.
... not really, imo. By your same logic everything that gets Roar is a sound-based Pokemon, which doesn't make any sense too. Besides:
<move description>The user attacks everything around it with the destructive power of a terrible, explosive sound.
I don't think Pyroar could do that, but it would be a nice way to buff it. Perhaps by giving it a Boomburst variation instead or something.

... not really, imo. By your same logic everything that gets Roar is a sound-based Pokemon, which doesn't make any sense too. Besides:
<move description>The user attacks everything around it with the destructive power of a terrible, explosive sound.
I don't think Pyroar could do that, but it would be a nice way to buff it. Perhaps by giving it a Boomburst variation instead or something.
I think Boomburst suits Pyroar more than it does a peaceful, singing fairy. Don't fret, Pyroar will get Boomburst. :]

I thought of something: Give Scyther, Gyarados, and Yanmega Fly.
Not sure about that. Scyther has Aerial Ace, Gyarados should get better STAB and Yanmega is Specially-oriented. I'll think about it.
^ and garchomp at it too his pokedex even says that
meh, why not. I'll think about it.
Yeah. Also, make Shedinja inheritly immune to ground (so that spikes don't kill it)
Shedinja is already immune to ground if you look in the pastebin.

Not sure about that. Scyther has Aerial Ace, Gyarados should get better STAB and Yanmega is Specially-oriented. I'll think about it.

meh, why not. I'll think about it.

Shedinja is already immune to ground if you look in the pastebin.
imo it's not really the competitive aspect of things. Look at Scyther's, Gyarados's and Yanmega's sprites. They're clearly flying, so it doesn't make sense for them to not get fly.
Also, I don't really agree with the OP when it says that Chesnaught is a UU Ferrothorn. It has plenty of things to differentiate it, like Belly Drum, better attack, a nice signature move and Bulletproof, which already is a great ability. While it's typing isn't great either, it's unique and grants it a different set of resists. I would appreciate it if you removed the mention of UU Ferro.

Last edited:
imo it's not really the competitive aspect of things. Look at Scyther's, Gyarados's and Yanmega's sprites. They're clearly flying, so it doesn't make sense for them to not get fly.
Also, I don't really agree with the OP when it says that Chesnaught is a UU Ferrothorn. It has plenty of things to differentiate it, like Belly Drum, better attack, a nice signature move and Bulletproof, which already is a great ability. While it's typing isn't great either, it's unique and grants it a different set of resists. I would appreciate it if you removed the mention of UU Ferro.
Gyarados is swimming in its sprite art

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Hmm, if the purpose of this OM is to make things viable, I don't really see the point of giving Avalugg the Ice/Rock typing, considering it clearly wants to take up a defensive role in the metagame. Sure, it makes sense flavourwise, but the pure Ice typing wasn't too far fetched anyway.
The only benefit I can see with this change is giving it a easier time spinning by removing Stealth Rocks on the switch in, but honestly, Avalugg needs a bigger niche than being a Rock-type Rapid Spinner to stand out. It doesn't help that the new 4x weaknesses completely remove the one redeeming quality it had: being able to wall any unboosted physical attacker.
In my opinion, Avalugg should keep the pure Ice-typing (or receive a typing without 4x weaknesses if it really needs a new one). From there, a better ability such as Regenerator or Solid Rock, and perhaps a more flexible stat spread could help it solidify its niche.

I always thought Pokemon who could learn Fly are Pokemon who can fly while supporting a 10-12 year old child, or at least who can evolve into Pokemon that can fly while supporting said child. I'm not sure Scizor can fly though, but looking at second thoughts, I guess maybe Scyther. Gyarados is swimming, as Throbulator pointed out, and as for Yanmega and the other bug/flyings... I'll check their heights and weights, since Volcarona can fly.
Defensive wall, grass type and rough skin make it like a UU Ferro, but I see what you mean. (Also other Pokemon get Spiky Shield now, if I'm not mistaken)
Hmm, if the purpose of this OM is to make things viable, I don't really see the point of giving Avalugg the Ice/Rock typing, considering it clearly wants to take up a defensive role in the metagame. Sure, it makes sense flavourwise, but the pure Ice typing wasn't too far fetched anyway.
The only benefit I can see with this change is giving it a easier time spinning by removing Stealth Rocks on the switch in, but honestly, Avalugg needs a bigger niche than being a Rock-type Rapid Spinner to stand out. It doesn't help that the new 4x weaknesses completely remove the one redeeming quality it had: being able to wall any unboosted physical attacker.
In my opinion, Avalugg should keep the pure Ice-typing (or receive a typing without 4x weaknesses if it really needs a new one). From there, a better ability such as Regenerator or Solid Rock, and perhaps a more flexible stat spread could help it solidify its niche.
Thanks for the idea. I was quite new to competitive when I first made this pet mod, I'm sure I've made him pure Ice for the big update which I'll post when I've 80% coded, but Regenerator and Solid Rock sound like great ideas. :]

Make Glalie (and it's mega) Have an Ice/Rock typing, and let them learn Power Gem, and Diamond Storm (that actually makes sense, because Glalie is coal, which compresses to make Diamond.)

Gyarados is swimming in its sprite art
in the air. also it's part flying type
I always thought Pokemon who could learn Fly are Pokemon who can fly while supporting a 10-12 year old child, or at least who can evolve into Pokemon that can fly while supporting said child. I'm not sure Scizor can fly though, but looking at second thoughts, I guess maybe Scyther. Gyarados is swimming, as Throbulator pointed out, and as for Yanmega and the other bug/flyings... I'll check their heights and weights, since Volcarona can fly.
Defensive wall, grass type and rough skin make it like a UU Ferro, but I see what you mean. (Also other Pokemon get Spiky Shield now, if I'm not mistaken)

Thanks for the idea. I was quite new to competitive when I first made this pet mod, I'm sure I've made him pure Ice for the big update which I'll post when I've 80% coded, but Regenerator and Solid Rock sound like great ideas. :]
Pidgey learns Fly.

in the air. also it's part flying type
Gyarados is a kite!

No, seriously.

Would you expect a kite to carry you into the sky on its back and take you to an arbitrary destination of your choice? I wouldn't.

Pidgey learns Fly.
Every Pokémon that can learn Fly is plausibly capable of flying to a significant height, not simply relative to its own body scale, but relative to human scale. If you'd expect to see it flying alongside an airliner, it can probably learn Fly. If you'd expect it to be restricted to tree-level, it probably can't learn Fly. Scyther is a praying mantis, Gyarados is a kite, and Yanmega is a prehistoric dragonfly. Would you expect any of those to be visible if you were in a plane in the sky?

(Yes I know there's silly stuff like Flying Pikachu. Pokémon is logical and silly)

I suppose you're right, but MegaGallade said things that learnt Fly were capable of supporting a young child while Flying. I was just pointing out not all do.

Pidgey learns Fly.
I always thought Pokemon who could learn Fly are Pokemon who can fly while supporting a 10-12 year old child, or at least who can evolve into Pokemon that can fly while supporting said child.

Make Glalie (and it's mega) Have an Ice/Rock typing, and let them learn Power Gem, and Diamond Storm (that actually makes sense, because Glalie is coal, which compresses to make Diamond.)
mhm, I'll think about it. Not sure about Diamond Storm though as it's a signature move suited to one or a few Pokemon.

Why don't you buff Toxicroak to make it viable in OU again? You can do it in 2 ways imho:
- Give him Mach Punch and Swift Swim instead of Anticipation (which is the option I prefer, because it makes sense even flavorwise: it's a frog, it can swim fast into water and can benefit from rain)
- Make him Poison/Dark (which is a bit meh flavourwise, but can make it viable easily)

And it would also be nice if you make Flygon specially oriented, like giving him 80 Atk and 100 SpA or even 60 Atk and 120 SpA. Flygon can offer a large amount of coverage if special, thanks to Bug Buzz and Boomburst, meanwhile it has some lacks on the physical side :/

Last edited:
Why don't you buff Toxicroak to make it viable in OU again? You can do it in 2 ways imho:
- Give him Mach Punch and Swift Swim instead of Anticipation (which is the option I prefer, because it makes sense even flavorwise: it's a frog, it can swim fast into water and can benefit from rain)
- Make him Poison/Dark (which is a bit meh flavourwise, but can make it viable easily)

And it would also be nice if you make Flygon specially oriented, like giving him 80 Atk and 100 SpA or even 60 Atk and 120 SpA. Flygon can offer a large amount of coverage if special, thanks to Bug Buzz and Boomburst, meanwhile it has some lacks on the physical side :/
Giving Toxicroak Mach Punch is a great idea :]
Maybe Swift Swim, it's an idea I've never thought of and it would be cool.
As for Flygon, I plan to give it a boost to it's SpA without reducing any stats :]

Hmm... Give all squirrel pokemon both Bullet Seed, and Seed Bomb. Hey, it makes sense.

Also, on the flying Gyarados issue, his prevolved form is a magikarpet... Which can support a human, because magic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)