[AMA] Laga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This Ask Me Anything (AMA) thread is a resource provided to you by the Smogon Mentorship Program. In it, feel free to ask this mentor about anything you'd like. They're most prepared to answer Smogon-related questions, but don't be afraid to ask them about their personality and life outside of this site. Have some patience when you post a question in this thread; it will likely take the mentor a few days to reply. If you're looking for our up-to-date list of mentors, check out our Mentor Profiles onsite. Read through their relevant information below, and enjoy!

Username: Laga

Areas of Expertise: Doubles, C&C

Background: I started from the rock bottom back in around September of 2012 by downloading Pokemon Online and promptly building a rain team with gunk shot Toxicroak. Later the same year, I started playing on Pokemon Showdown! (I was still pretty terrible), and started chatting a lot. I progressively got better at the main tiers, and I knew and followed Smogon rules, without really knowing about the forums.

Since I saw all some my friends from PS! start getting involved with Smogon forums, I decided I would give it a shot too. I didn't post much the first couple of months, and I definitely didn't post well at the time, but I started becoming a better post when I started getting involved a lot with Doubles. Now I only really got involved with Doubles because Pikachuun made me play all sorts of OMs, leading me to check out the OM forum, and thus finding Doubles. I learned the metagame fairly quickly (despite being completely terrible at the beginning, see: Pwnemon's signature), and started participating a lot in Doubles.

The past couple of months, I have gotten more involved with different sections, such as C&C and Tournaments, and I am liking Smogon forums more and more every day (becoming an addict :{|})

Hobbies: My main hobby is definitely music. I listen to it pretty much 3 or more hours a day, and play guitar and piano myself. Other than that, I love snowboarding in the winter, and hanging outside with irl friends in the summertime.

Good Questions To Ask Me: Questions regarding Doubles strategies will give you most in-depth answers, but you can ask me anything from what music I like to if I can do a backflip on a snowboard.

Which I can't.

Yet =]

what music do u like
if rock listen to sr-71 kthx

why do u suck so much
what is, in your opinion, the most underrated doubles mon

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Now I only really got involved with Doubles because Pikachuun made me play all sorts of OMs, leading me to check out the OM forum, and thus finding Doubles. I learned the metagame fairly quickly (despite being completely terrible at the beginning, see: Pwnemon's signature), and started participating a lot in Doubles.
Best part of the OP imho. What is your favorite pancake? (Like blueberry, chocolate chip, etc.) :p

Laga

Forever Grande
what music do u like
if rock listen to sr-71 kthx

why do u suck so much
what is, in your opinion, the most underrated doubles mon
- I like a huge variety of different music, and it changes from time to time what I like to listen to. Right now I like mostly acoustic music like Jack Johnson, Ed Sheeran, but I like indie-pop to indie rock and classic rock too.

so yeah basically anything that sounds good =]

- that's a good question, except the part where it's not

- that would probably be either Mega Pinsir or Landorus-I. Mega Pinsir is great for that power + powerful Feint. Landorus-I kills everything.

Best part of the OP imho. What is your favorite pancake? (Like blueberry, chocolate chip, etc.) :p
- beer pancakes. it's a thing here !_!

Lag4 was better.

Why did you change it.
- pls, Lag4 is about as bad as S0ul Fly would be :L

what is your excuse for not playing cart like many of us cool people do

are you a cat or dog person and why

when building teams, what sort of win condition do you mold/pursue most often

if you had to buff a junkmon like illimuse/kecleon, which would you buff and how

in later gens what gen 5/6 mon(s) do you think will get a mega evo

have you ever had the urge to snatch a squirrel out of a tree and cook it over a spit in the middle of a city like a hobo, and if so what spices would you add to the meat and can i have the tail

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
What tips would you give to someone trying to get into Doubles?

Biggest differences between Singles and Doubles? (Besides the amount of pokemon lel)

Opinions on user sugarhigh :>

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Jack Johnson is my favorite, as well - chill surfer Hawaiian songwriter :] What's your top 3 favorite songs from him?

What time zone are you @.@ You aint in USA :|

Explain the origin of your name :0

Did any of your friends from PS! got into Doubles, or just you?

Are you interested in any of the sub-tiers of Doubles (Ubers/UU/LC)? If yes, which one are you interested in the most?

I am glad your'e having a blast in SPL @ Ruiners :] What has playing under such a high-stakes teamplay environment taught you? Which Doubes player do you "fear/heavily anticipate" facing the most during this season?

Laga

Forever Grande
Favorite Pokemon?

Least Favorite?

Favorite Tier?

Congrats on mentor!
- STUNFISK =]]]]]]

- idk dude probably trubbish. trubbish is literally cbb =]

- tough one, probably gonna have to say doubles...

what is your excuse for not playing cart like many of us cool people do

are you a cat or dog person and why

when building teams, what sort of win condition do you mold/pursue most often

if you had to buff a junkmon like illimuse/kecleon, which would you buff and how

in later gens what gen 5/6 mon(s) do you think will get a mega evo

have you ever had the urge to snatch a squirrel out of a tree and cook it over a spit in the middle of a city like a hobo, and if so what spices would you add to the meat and can i have the tail
- no money or ds =[

- dog because I have one lol

- idk it depends on the team archetype. It's usually an offensive core of two mons that break each other's checks, but it could also be something like a ddance megados / tyranitar ;]

- definitely would buff kecleon's stats to the point of which it would be a legit protean trick room attacker !_!

- Mega Trevenant because based tree. Also would be ncie to see like a Mega Darmanitan for that power.

- no, but i'd probably add some pepper to it. the tail is mine so I can make a cool hat with a tail hanging from the side, so no =]

MCBarrett said:
What tips would you give to someone trying to get into Doubles?
Biggest differences between Singles and Doubles? (Besides the amount of pokemon lel)

Opinions on user sugarhigh :>
- #1 tip would definitely be to watch a lot of replays from good players, and if you feel like a good player, and bad teambuilder, you should check out the sample teams thread in Doubles subforum. Once you feel like a solid player, you should practice more by playing some of the more skilled doubles players that you find hanging around in #doubles, because it is by far the most consistent way to sharpen your game up. You could also just sign up for B101 Dubs =]

- The difference between singles and doubles is humungous. Teambuilding plays a larger role in singles, and simple double switching is much more elementary kind of play in singles than in doubles. On the other hand, playing around offensive strategies with Speed control and proper use of Protect + switching is what makes Doubles more fun and intense (imo). It also feels like a new dimension is added to the battle, but it's pretty much impossible to explain lol

- he's a qt =}

packet said:
Jack Johnson is my favorite, as well - chill surfer Hawaiian songwriter :] What's your top 3 favorite songs from him?
What time zone are you @.@ You aint in USA :|

Explain the origin of your name :0

Did any of your friends from PS! got into Doubles, or just you?

Are you interested in any of the sub-tiers of Doubles (Ubers/UU/LC)? If yes, which one are you interested in the most?

I am glad your'e having a blast in SPL @ Ruiners :] What has playing under such a high-stakes teamplay environment taught you? Which Doubes player do you "fear/heavily anticipate" facing the most during this season?
- great question :] (song - album)
1: Hope - Sleep Through The Static
2: Do You Remember - In Between Dreams
3 (tie): Banana Pancakes - In Between Dreams / The Horizon Has Been Defeated - On and On
extra: my fav album in general is definitely In Between Dreams :)!

- I'm GMT+1 aka DENMARKIAN

- that's a good question, and it's a fairly shaky story. Basically, my half-cousin and really good friend used to go around literally saying "lagalagalagalaga" in the most annoying voice he possibly could back when we were like 11-12. I didn't really have any better ideas, and I felt like calling myself something like dragonslayer19721 would be pretty lame lol. Maybe one day I'll find out what Laga actually means o.O

- not really, to be honest. I mean I liked gen 5 Doubles Ubers because I won the minitour but other than that, nope :p. I might get interested in one of them after this SPL season, or maybe I'll just build one team when we host the different minitour with the tiers ;)

- I'd definitely say that SPL has made me a better and more seasoned player as a whole, especially in teambuilding since I built new teams each week. I have also become better at predictions, and deciding when to pull one off and when not to risk it; aka better at risk vs reward.

- I'd say the player that intimidated me the most was probably kom because I had played him before and knew about his ways of finding optimal safe plays. I looked very much forward to playing biosci, zach, and randy, since I hadn't seen them play much before, but matches vs bio and randy were fairly haxy (both sides vs bio), and zach trade meant I couldn't play him in SPL >:V

and yeah ruiners was a great team this year, people may see me as grumpy when i say this, but I swear we would have made playoffs easily with neutral hax against our poor peeps Ojama, ss234, and dcae ;—;

I think that was all damn you guys making me spend way too much time on this xP

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
What did you think of the overall level of Doubles displayed in SPL?

Do you plan to be more involved in the tournament scene from now on? What did you like/dislike about it from that ~first experience in SPL?

Did you ever play VGC? If so, what is your opinion about it, especially when put in comparison with Dubs?

(Why did I own you so often in your own niche tier ?)

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
Favorite 6v6 singles tier?

Why do Danish people sound like retards?

Isn't it embarrasing being Danish?

Why are you Danish?

Laga

Forever Grande
What did you think of the overall level of Doubles displayed in SPL?

Do you plan to be more involved in the tournament scene from now on? What did you like/dislike about it from that ~first experience in SPL?

Did you ever play VGC? If so, what is your opinion about it, especially when put in comparison with Dubs?

(Why did I own you so often in your own niche tier ?)
- I'd say that there was definitely some solid overall players pitting against each other, and a handful of really intense games filled with mindgames, so I am fairly happy about that. I am kind of upset with the drama surrounding some of the matches, and some matches have also been very one sided, but it is SPL, and it is Pokemon, so can't expect better.

- Yes, I will participate in Smogon Tour this year if you give me all of your teams =]

- First SPL nerves were definitely a reality the first battle, especially since it was the first match our team was playing the entire season, but I felt much more comfortable playing pretty much all other weeks. I have really been liking feeling part of a team with great people like you, ciele, ss234, etc., and also trashtalking cbb :^) I disliked the hax ≠(

- I did once play VGC, in gen 5. I liked the overall meta, since nothing was too overly broken, but I couldn't really see the point of Item Clause (personal preference). I particularly both liked and disliked the bring 6 pick 4 part, because it both created mindgames around which Pokemon where chosen between players but also, unfortunately, could decide the match before turn one if one picks the right / wrong mons.

- get out of here with yo false ass claims and fite me :V
Favorite 6v6 singles tier?

Why do Danish people sound like retards?

Isn't it embarrasing being Danish?

Why are you Danish?
- Out of the ones I have played, I'm gonna have to say XY OU. I haven't played advanced yet, and it is often favored by pretty much 50%+ of veteran tourney players, so I can't say I have enough experience to call out the best singles meta. I liked BW RU a lot too, but XY OU just feels like a bit more of a natural metagame.

- Because we speak in hacks or something lol

- nope denmark > everythin =]

- because I can swim and pee at the same time.
<- pic of u =]

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Has the lack of gems hindered/improved the gen 6 doubles metagame? In what ways?

How would you go about improving user pwnemon?

Who is the doubles player you look up to most?

Why don't you use based teams like arcticblast does in spl?

Laga

Forever Grande
Why are you so slutty?

Why am I so slutty?

Thoughts on user Lolkomori ?

Why am I the cutest person you know :>
- #slutpower

- #slutpower

- cutest person i know

- ... sry =\
Has the lack of gems hindered/improved the gen 6 doubles metagame? In what ways?

How would you go about improving user pwnemon?

Who is the doubles player you look up to most?

Why don't you use based teams like arcticblast does in spl?
- Lack of gems makes the metagame much less "kill before you are killed", and I like it that way.

- I'd look at him and go "this is an unreparable mess"

- probably gonna be zach. he's a legend :]

- I used Scarfed Staraptor, pls get your lame claims outta here. I probably would have brought something much more gimmicky in the last week, but the match had no relevance to anything at all ;]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)