Arbok

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is in major need of an edit to follow the standard set by good one-Pokémon-centered threads. List Arbok's base stats, define the new moves it has and show any changes to existing moves that benefit Arbok like Glare. Also, Earthquake is Earthquake, not EarthQuake, and stop giving all of those sub-par sets horrible names.

I don't really understand why people are still trying to think of good coverage moves. Gunk Shot/EQ/Sucker Punch are not only some of the highest BP moves that Arbok gets, but are only resisted by Skarmory. And they give him priority. I think thats the best that can be achieved.

It *is* the best that can be achieved...which is part of Arbok's problem.
Use it in a tier without Skarmory and Bronzong then it may have a shot at doing something (Weezing could be there though).

This thread is in major need of an edit to follow the standard set by good one-Pokémon-centered threads. List Arbok's base stats, define the new moves it has and show any changes to existing moves that benefit Arbok like Glare. Also, Earthquake is Earthquake, not EarthQuake, and stop giving all of those sub-par sets horrible names.
Actually, if you read the thread you would see that Glare etc, have been discussed, with the general consensus being that yeah, its a nice boost, but doesn't really fit with the set most people are discussing, which is a Coil-based set. Until people get sick of discussing that there's going to be limited discussion about it. Also, most people are capable of finding out the new additions Arbok has gotten without relying on the OP.

Finally, Yes Earthquake is not EarthQuake, but it makes sense to abbreviate it to EQ instead of Eq, since the latter looks like is pronounced eeck. Its a commonly done thing so I don't know why you would find issue with it.

It sounds like your just nitpicking for the sake of it, and not actually contributing anything to the discussion. Oh, and I'm pretty sure people are free to name whatever sets they come up with whatever the hell they like.

1. Fixed the Earthquake misspells
2. Not going to get rid of my "horrible names"
3. The set are not sub-par
4. I used glare in a set, it doesn't work with the others
5. Have a nice day ^^

I could totally see a set that runs the following.

Nature: Careful
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attk, 4 Sp Def
Item: Leftover/Black Sludge
Coil Around
Gunk Shot
Earthquake
Sucker Punch

After a Coil Around, Arbok becomes surprisingly bulky, and more importantly, can hit pretty darn hard. He can use Intimidate to set up, and then fire off a STAB Gunk Shot with good accuracy. He's a little slow and a little weak to special attacks, but this can be helped with proper team support. Sucker Punch also helps deal with speedy Psychics and Ghosts who will try to spoil your fun.

I'm having fun making an NU/UU sorta team. (I know there are no tiers really except that silly % that puts Lati@s in UU....) and I like this set

252 HP/252 Deff/ 4 HP or SpDef (ur call)
Impish nature w/ Black Sludge
Coil
Dragon Tail
Glare
Gunkshot

Coil to raise power/accuracy of both the non 100% accurate moves. Gunk is for stab (though this can be replaced for coverage) and DragonTail phaze out stuff and sread glare through the enemy team. Though toxic could work as well if you would rather spread poison.

I'm having fun making an NU/UU sorta team. (I know there are no tiers really except that silly % that puts Lati@s in UU....) and I like this set

252 HP/252 Deff/ 4 HP or SpDef (ur call)
Impish nature w/ Black Sludge
Coil
Dragon Tail
Glare
Gunkshot

Coil to raise power/accuracy of both the non 100% accurate moves. Gunk is for stab (though this can be replaced for coverage) and DragonTail phaze out stuff and sread glare through the enemy team. Though toxic could work as well if you would rather spread poison.
IMO, Jalorda might be better at this, since he's fast enough to phaze out other phazers first, as well as being bulkier than Arbok. Arbok's Gunk Shot is a big step up from Jalorda's Leaf Blade though... so maybe it's still worth a shot in a tankier role.

Please fix up the thread. I want to be able to look up sets for Arbok without having ":3", "xD" and ";_;" everywhere. It looks unprofessional and just plain bad.

And yeah, try to think up better names for the sets, I'd much rather see something like "Rest+Shed Skin Abuse" rather than "Do Not Disturb ;3".

Wait what.

Also no offense and unrelated but Spinda your dp gives me a seizure with that dancing Latias. where did I put my painkilllers?

Please fix up the thread. I want to be able to look up sets for Arbok without having ":3", "xD" and ";_;" everywhere. It looks unprofessional and just plain bad.

And yeah, try to think up better names for the sets, I'd much rather see something like "Rest+Shed Skin Abuse" rather than "Do Not Disturb ;3".
THIIIISSSSS. This multiplied by 10.

As for Arbok himself.. I've tried a Stockpile ParaFlinch set, with Bite/Glare/Rest/Stockpile with an Impish nature and Shed Skin, but it is just terrible. Without Intimidate, he's hard to switch-in, and a weakness to one of the most common physical attacks just sucks. Maybe I'm just using a horrible set (Japanese player traded it to me, it's no surprise that it has a gimmick set), and should be trying Coil + Careful nature with Gunk Shot. But if my Dunsparce has trouble setting it up even with base 100 HP, I doubt Arbok can.

Oh well, it was fun to try.

Ugh, I hate how this is the only thread for Arbok up right now to ask questions in, but I guess it's understandable. Arbok isn't stellar. This guy needs a giant makeover for proper analyses soon.

Anyway, I think Coil is this guy's best shot at becoming a viable monster, and I really want to use him because of the whole Team Rocket theme it has going for it. As discussed earlier in this thread, the Coil/Gunk Shot/Earthquake/Sucker Punch set is probably the best in terms of covering as much as you can, and with the Accuracy boost Gunk Shot is one fantastic STAB attack. Intimidate is pretty much a given. Also, it probably needs a 252/252/6 spread in whatever stats you're trying to boost, his base is just too low.

So how about nature? I can see a case argued for Jolly, Impish, or Careful, but I can't decide which one would work most efficiently.

A set ive been looking into is a disruption snake (if its been posted, i only read the first page).
Item: Black Sludge
Moves:
1- Switcheroo
2- Poison Fang / Glare
3- main offensive move
4- Rest

Im not really into Calc. out the EV's, IV's and all that jazz but basically this build switches in on something, doubly so on a wall, gives it a status, and possibly trades for a leftovers. Also, it can come in on Guts users and take their status orb and give it to another enemy! There's a number of fun switches, like taking a choice item and switching out to beat up their team later, and also doubles as a niche trick user.

And since my preference for this build is a non-DW ability in Shed Skin this cobra has access to move tutor skills like Aqua Tail. IDK but I like Aqua Tail as my main attack skill.

Like everyones said, his best option is to use coil in combination with gunk shot. So obviously, he's going to need to set up and have higher special defence since he cant boost that. He can get excellent neutral coverage from gunkshot and earthquake, but also gunkshot and aquatail (from 4th gen). Of those two combinations aqua tail seems better since steel types are less of a threat to arbok than ground types with super effective STABs; but either can work. The last slot is pretty much going to decide what kind of Arbok yoru playing. Sucker punch is the more offencive choice becuase it improves coverage and offers a counter to psychic types. Rest lets you recover from damage taken setting up coils and works great with shed skin. As for ability they will probably have a large impact on how you get Arbok in and how he sets up. Intimidate woudl allow you to switch him in without much damage on physical attacks he resists whcih will likley give you one free coil to set up. While shed skin should be used if your running rest to get early wake ups. As for held items, I dont think black sludge is good for restign sets since youll be recovering most of you HP from rest anyway. I think a Chesto berry would be better if yoru running rest becuase you could bring arbok in on a free switch (ideally on something he resists) set up a coil (or two if they switch out) rest of the damage and either immediatly begin attacking or set up more coils and wall if they are physical. Based on this, you could run the following set

Arbok
Nature: Careful; EVs 252HP 252 S.Def 4Spd/Att
Ability: Shed Skin
Item: Chesto Berry
Moves:
Rest
Coil
Gunkshot
Earthquake/Aqua Tail

The choice fo speed or attack for the last 4EVs can be based on outspeeding other base 80 pokemon like mammoswine that might be able to two hit KO a coiled Arbok with earthquake but might not survive two hits from said arbok. It could also go towards attack since the small increase in attack would be compounded with more coils.

Like everyones said, his best option is to use coil in combination with gunk shot. So obviously, he's going to need to set up and have higher special defence since he cant boost that. He can get excellent neutral coverage from gunkshot and earthquake, but also gunkshot and aquatail (from 4th gen). Of those two combinations aqua tail seems better since steel types are less of a threat to arbok than ground types with super effective STABs; but either can work. The last slot is pretty much going to decide what kind of Arbok yoru playing. Sucker punch is the more offencive choice becuase it improves coverage and offers a counter to psychic types. Rest lets you recover from damage taken setting up coils and works great with shed skin. As for ability they will probably have a large impact on how you get Arbok in and how he sets up. Intimidate woudl allow you to switch him in without much damage on physical attacks he resists whcih will likley give you one free coil to set up. While shed skin should be used if your running rest to get early wake ups. As for held items, I dont think black sludge is good for restign sets since youll be recovering most of you HP from rest anyway. I think a Chesto berry would be better if yoru running rest becuase you could bring arbok in on a free switch (ideally on something he resists) set up a coil (or two if they switch out) rest of the damage and either immediatly begin attacking or set up more coils and wall if they are physical. Based on this, you could run the following set

Arbok
Nature: Careful; EVs 252HP 252 S.Def 4Spd/Att
Ability: Shed Skin
Item: Chesto Berry
Moves:
Rest
Coil
Gunkshot
Earthquake/Aqua Tail

The choice fo speed or attack for the last 4EVs can be based on outspeeding other base 80 pokemon like mammoswine that might be able to two hit KO a coiled Arbok with earthquake but might not survive two hits from said arbok. It could also go towards attack since the small increase in attack would be compounded with more coils.
Why use Chesto AND Shed Skin? I would use Intimidate + Coil, Rest and Chesto, or Shed Skin + Coil, Rest and Black Sludge. Using both is entirely pointless.

Why use Chesto AND Shed Skin? I would use Intimidate + Coil, Rest and Chesto, or Shed Skin + Coil, Rest and Black Sludge. Using both is entirely pointless.
The point is to get an imediate and guaranteed wake up rather than leaving it to chance, especially if you havent had enough time to fully set up. It is an option to use black sludge, but it has also dawned on me that the best option is actually to use an air balloon to avoid super effective ground damage all together. Basically theres a few options but Chesto isnt totally redundant given that shed skin doesnt always work.

The point is to get an imediate and guaranteed wake up rather than leaving it to chance, especially if you havent had enough time to fully set up. It is an option to use black sludge, but it has also dawned on me that the best option is actually to use an air balloon to avoid super effective ground damage all together. Basically theres a few options but Chesto isnt totally redundant given that shed skin doesnt always work.
no but shed skin is redundant given that chesto always works

breh

強いだね
this is a shitty thread that's more than one year old and one about a shitty mon. don't necrobump it and just let it die.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
np: Foo Fighters -Let it Die

Someone make a good arbok thread because it's a cool Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)