Art for Articles

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, I am totally up for polishing off a few of these over winter break (which isn't for awhile but you know)

---> Fourth Generation Move Tutor List (the one I reserved ages ago, I'll get to it I promise, apologies) <---

not official reservations, just ones I found interesting for future reference

Breeding Perfect Pokémon in Pokémon X&Y (egg hatching with trainer next to it)
X&Y TM Location Guide (Trainer kneeling next to shiny tm on ground somewhere)
Battle Subway Trainers (Ingo & Emmett)

Last edited:
Reactions: ant

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, I am totally up for polishing off a few of these over winter break (which isn't for awhile but you know)

---> Fourth Generation Move Tutor List (the one I reserved ages ago, I'll get to it I promise, apologies) <---

not official reservations, just ones I found interesting for future reference

Breeding Perfect Pokémon in Pokémon X&Y (egg hatching with trainer next to it)
X&Y TM Location Guide (Trainer kneeling next to shiny tm on ground somewhere)
Battle Subway Trainers (Ingo & Emmett)
any progress with this?

also, A Guide to Mega Evolution is close to be finished

Hi, could I try something for the Status in DP article? What I've got in mind is a burned Hippowdon and a sleeping Heatran. Should I put them both in one picture or would creating separate pictures of each be better?

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is it possible to change the primary color of the background? Not only isn't green something associated with them, it's also a color that heavily clashes with all of the characters in the foreground, so while contrast can still be nice, sticking out too much can be too distracting.

As for your future images, see if you can reinforce the lineart in certain places. Right now the lineart has just about equal width in all of the places, which gets the job done but does little to tell the viewer wat's defining features and what's smaller details. You've done this with their eyelids, but that can be applied to body outlies and other stuff that makes for the lineart's heavier framework. And lastly, you don't seem to be able to fill in the colors all the way to the lineart's edge, so if you're using selections to fill in the areas, remember to expand them by 1-2 pixels before you fill them in. This pic will most likely be shrunk a bit so that detail won't be noticeable at a smaller size, but it's something to remember when coloring.

Thanks for helping out!

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Is it possible to change the primary color of the background? Not only isn't green something associated with them, it's also a color that heavily clashes with all of the characters in the foreground, so while contrast can still be nice, sticking out too much can be too distracting.

As for your future images, see if you can reinforce the lineart in certain places. Right now the lineart has just about equal width in all of the places, which gets the job done but does little to tell the viewer wat's defining features and what's smaller details. You've done this with their eyelids, but that can be applied to body outlies and other stuff that makes for the lineart's heavier framework. And lastly, you don't seem to be able to fill in the colors all the way to the lineart's edge, so if you're using selections to fill in the areas, remember to expand them by 1-2 pixels before you fill them in. This pic will most likely be shrunk a bit so that detail won't be noticeable at a smaller size, but it's something to remember when coloring.

Thanks for helping out!
Any better now?
I'm not entirely sure on how to do the dynamic lines (lines with different widths)
smogon- article subway color3.png

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, could I try something for the Status in DP article? What I've got in mind is a burned Hippowdon and a sleeping Heatran. Should I put them both in one picture or would creating separate pictures of each be better?
Absolutely

If the Cress' new pic has Bummer's blessing, I'll upload

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I would like to give a shot at the Guide to Capturing BW2 Legendaries

@Bummer

Here's a sketch of what I hope/want to do :
View attachment 59180
It's ..... basic, I guess. You've got your legend and the trainer, but given the topic, I'd expect something akin to the battle when they were caught, or the moment prior when the trainer is watching the legend from afar. This seems more of a fond moment after capturing, which might work, but I'd say a different approach would better illustrate the topic.

The sketch itself looks good, althoguh Cob's head coudld be smaller while its shoulder spikes could be larger.

Is it okay if I withdraw from the Status in DP article? I've been struggling with the concept I came up with and stuff in real life has been a little overwhelming. Maybe I'll come back to it in due time, but for now I don't think I'll be able to finish it unless I came up with something different and easier.

Bummer Edit: Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
Reposting this request:
Requesting a piece for the XY index that will soon be onsite - could be something a bit busy like the piece found here or something more simple like the piece found here. Only requirement I guess would be that it has to be a Gen 6 Pokemon (though Mega is okay I guess). Appreciate it!
Talonflame is a safe pick since it's one of the few new non-mega species from XY (apart from Greninja and Aegislash) that performs well in OU, although Chesnaught, Diggersby, and Hawlucha can also be used to success.

If no artist steps up to this task, we do have art from our old frontpage contest that can be used as well (besides from Arkeis' images as they're currently on the front page).

Talonflame, Mega Metagross, and Mega Venusaur by Pedro Larez
Mega Gardevoir, Mega Scizor, and Mega Charizard X by Roadsama
Chesnaught, Mega Altaria, and Mega Diancie by aXl

Fresh art would still be the ideal solution, but recycling old art is certainly an option.

Blitzamirin anto

Koumashiki

n o   h o m o
is an Artist Alumnus
I'd like to do it. Not sure if I can do Talonflame well cause I've never drawn a bird before, but I guess it worth a try >.>

bubblymaika

I'd sell you to satan for one corn chip
is an Artist Alumnus
Bit curious, what would you guys like for the FRLG/DPP Legendaries article? I wouldn't mind doing a small headshot of each legend if needed (college is almost done for the semester too, so I'll have time).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)