Artwork for Tournaments Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
THE ARTWORK FOR TOURNAMENTS THREAD #4
approved by Bummer

Past Artwork for Tournaments Threads:

Introduction

This is the Artwork for Tournaments Thread. Refer to previous threads for original OPs and examples of excellent work. In this thread, people request art for the myriad of tournaments happening around Smogon, and you Smeargle's Studians are the ones we rely on to draw for them.

To those needing art

Use this format when requesting art:

Tournament name:
Host:
Projected Deadline:
Format(s):
Tournament Rules:
Art Direction:

- Make a request here well in advance, preferrably weeks before creating the Sign-Ups thread.

- Be as specific as you want. Giving artists completel freedom can be a double-edged sword, since some artists may not feel comfortable making all the decisions themselves, and you may not agree with all of them. Be clear with what you want to be included, and what parts the artists have free reign with.

- You retain the right to decline submissions you're not satisfied with, but also realise that the art made for this purpose is all done for free and by volunteer artists, so don't expect perfection either. If there's still time, remember to give feedback so that the artists may improve the banner or logo even further.

- If it's discovered that the Sign-Ups thread is already up, your request may become removed. We ideally want the banner to be part of the tour since the beginning, since the banner or logo is what may encourage people to sign up, as well as giving exposure to the artist's work to all the visitors checking the tour out. So while we acknowledge that certain tours don't have much leeway when it comes to the date they're announced, do realise that the exposure is one of the rewards for making these banners, and that announcing the tour without the art removes a large part of the incentive for creating a banner in the first place.

To the artists

Here's a few things we're NOT looking for:

- You do not need to be a pro artist or anything close to that. That being said, this artwork will be used to represent the site. Lots of people join our tournaments without an understanding of what Smogon is or what we do. For many users, tournaments are a gateway into our community. Let's do our best to make a good first impression.

- You do NOT need to do logos to help; however, they are certainly welcome.

- You do not need to be a typography ace to help. You do not need to use typography or lettering AT ALL. Cool images are more than enough. If a tournament absolutely needs some cool typography to go on top of an image you've made and typography is not your thing, post your WIP and look for help from another Smeargle's Studio member. Images are way more important.

- You also do not need to finish work to post it in this thread. PLEASE flood this thread with WIPs, sketches, scribbles, discussion, helpful critique for others, and feedback if you can. The goal is that we have cool stuff when all is said and done, and we are in this together. No need to spend a million hours refining something you're unsure of. When in doubt, share early, share often.

- Following that, you do not need to work alone. If you'd like to collaborate with another artist or artists (doing lines, colors, effects, or anything else), you are invited to do so, as long as everyone involved is cool with it. Artists who would like help, please feel free to link to your documents in this thread.

If you plan on creating a banner or logo from pre-existing art (as opposed to just drawing it yourself), read this section carefully.

Smogon has a lot of committed and lovely artists who have done a lot of excellent work over the years. If you've got some photoshop skills and want to marry some of that work to some cool typography or effects, you have my blessings and encouragement.

HOWEVER, pay attention, because there are a crapload of rules for artists not using original work:

- Official pokemon artwork (Artwork done by Ken Sugimori) may be used without permission, but must be credited as such.

- Art that has been uploaded to Smogon's main site-- Either in a Smogon article or artwork done for the Smog-- may be used without permission if full credit is given to the original artist(s). Link to the page that this artwork originally appeared on, if possible. Artists have the right to remove or prohibit the use of their work from being used in this way.

- If you are using any artwork made by anyone else from anywhere, you must have the permission of the original artist. If this permission was expressed somewhere on the internet, you must link to that, if possible. Full credit must also be given to the original artist. If it is discovered that artwork has been used from another site without the artist's permission, you will likely receive a forum warning or infraction, and may possibly face a forum ban.

- You will be held to completely different standards when it comes to the possibility of being badged. To receive an Artist badge in this way, the quantity of contributed work will far exceed artists who instead contribute original work.

General advice and thread rules
- Art direction is NEVER set in stone; if you have a better idea than what's listed, you are encouraged to do that instead.

- That said, keep in mind the tournament's organizer is going to have a voice when it comes to selecting artwork in the case of multiple submissions. The other voices will consist of me and other willing studio mods and tournament directors who wish to participate. We'll be choosing among any pieces submitted, and we may very well use multiple pieces of art that are submitted!

- Deadlines on these are wild, unpredictable beasts. Tournaments go up after other tournaments end. Tournaments end when people play their matches. People play their matches when they feel like it. A lot of these tasks have no concrete due date but will include some kind of estimate for when work is needed by.

- If you want to help, please do whatever you want to do, but just keep in mind I'll be sweating bullets and freaking out when I see urgent assignments not getting done, so if you feel like it, please consider starting there. Ask questions in this thread if you have them.

- Don't reserve stuff. If you want to do something, do it. You are encouraged to post sketches and roughs, so please share as many as you want to.

- If someone did something and you think you can do better, do it. You aren't a dick for doing this. There are no hard feelings. Our ultimate goal is cool tournament images, and literally every effort helps, even if it doesn't feel that way.

- Participate as much as you want to. If you want to do artwork for every single tournament, then you're insane, but you're also our hero.

Rewards
There WILL be rewards for helping out. If your work is of good quality, the Artist badge can be rewarded for contributing to this thread. If you put in good effort but still struggle with some art-related problems, you may still be eligible for the Community Contributor badge for the studio. That also includes contributing thoughtful, consistent, and experienced critique that can help our artists improve (both in this thread and elsewhere in the studio).

If you already have a badge, consider that most tournament threads get hundreds if not thousands of views. Talk to me and we'll see if we can't promote your work further in some way.

If you create work that we end up using, expect me to treat you like a champion. Your name will be emblazoned in gold letters in this thread forever. We will collectively be one step closer to Zracknel not crying himself to sleep at night.

Thank you for reading! My deepest thanks to anyone who participates in this project!​

Last edited by a moderator:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
*MASTER ASSIGNMENT LIST*

The most urgent assignments are listed first. The other assignments are listed in the order that I received them.
"Format" Refers to the basic format of the tournament, but please read the tournament rules for details!

Current Requests

None at the moment!​

1. Tournament name: DPP NU Tournament
Host: Oglemi
Projected Deadline: Couple months from Sep 24
Format: Standard DPP NU
Tournament Rules: Standard DPP NU
Art Direction: A Charizard doing something neat like breathing fire around a big "DPP NU Tournament" (preferably not the cliche Charizard spouting fire into the air slightly to the right pose though)

2. Tournament name: Level 1 Tourney
Host: Oglemi
Projected Deadline: Couple months from Sep 24
Format: 6v6
Tournament Rules: All Pokemon must be level 1, SonicBoom/DragonRage banned, anything else goes
Art Direction: Something with baby fully-evolved Pokemon like a baby Kangaskhan, baby Lapras, baby Mawile, or baby Scizor w/e ur feeling doing something cute next to a big Level 1 Tourney.

by Cerib

3. Tournament name: Gods Among Us, LC edition
Host: The Quasar
Projected Deadline: Couple months
Format: XY LC (*)
Tournament Rules: That's a standard XY LC tour but players can use just one LC Uber pokemon is allowed. This specific pokemon will be paired each Round.
Art Direction: An idea could be a LC Uber pokemon (I suggest one between Gligar, Swirlix, Tangela, Yanma, Meditite, Murkrow and Misdreavus) surrounded by usual LC pokemon with a question mark on over their head. But it's just an idea, you could create what you are thinking it's better.

4. Tournament name: Any Tier Tournament
Host: munchyoshi
Projected Deadline: a month or so?
Format: Any Tier
Tournament Rules: Basically the players get 5 random tiers to play a Bo5 match
Art Direction: I would like a couple easily recognizable staples from some tiers, make sure it's obvious which tiers are being represented though, also the words any tier tournament

5. Tournament name: ORAS RU Tournament
Host: galbia
Projected Deadline: A good month
Format: Standard ORAS RU
Tournament Rules: Standard ORAS RU
Art Direction: Popular RU Pokemon such as Moltres and Cresselia, Megas suit for this are Pidgeot and Sceptile

by Cerib

6. Tournament name: The Walkthrough Tournament - ORAS Edition​
Host: Vinc2612
Projected Deadline: End of the month
Format: ORAS OU
Tournament Rules: Each round takes place at another spot in the Hoenn Region - You have to play only with Pokemons available at that point in the story (with level and items restrictions)
Art Direction: I really loved Scepticallistic's work from past years but he can't do it this time. But the idea is still awesome and I think an ORAS adaptation would be perfect with Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip and the Hoenn Pokemon League.

7. Tournament name: The Triforce Tournament
Host: me
Projected Deadline: 1-2 months
Format: Teams of 3 playing DPP OU, BW2 and ORAS OU
Tournament Rules: ^
Art Direction: I would like if pokemon from the 3 gens could be incorporated but take the art direction how you would like.

8. Tournament Name: #smogonvgc Live Tournaments
Host: TheMantyke
Projected Deadline: N/A
Format: VGC 2015
Tournament Rules: N/A
Art Direction: Hi folks. We over in the VGC section have been running a weekly tournament for the last 12 weeks and I'd like to create a mega thread for it soon detailing information about it, records, and tournament videos. I'd like some sort of piece to start the thread off with.

I'd like the image to say:

"#smogonvgc Live Tournaments"
"Every Friday, 6 PM EST"

The Pokemon featured in the image can be anything listed in the VGC viability rankings from S, A+, or A tier.

by KAIZA

9. Tournament name: ORAS Team Tournament
Host: Me
Projected Deadline: 6-7 months
Format: Uber, OU, UU, RU, NU, LC, Doubles.
Tournament Rules: Teams of 8 in the above tiers (2 OU players per team, 1 for every other tier) face off against other teams to see who is the strongest clique in the ORAS generation.
Art Direction: Completely up to the artist's discretion although, some of the newer megas being featured might be nice.

10. Tournament name: The Battle Factory Tour
Host: FireMage
Projected Deadline: Soon. ORAS RU Tour is R5. I suspect Semis and then Finals. So approx 2-3 weeks.
Format: See last years tour
Tournament Rules: See last years tour
Art Direction:
I'm not after banner art per se, but i am after some art to help Jazz up the post - Mostly animated stuff I can't do myself. More specifially dividers which glow blue, like the way the floor does in the Battle Factory in Platinum/HG/SS does. I cn point out exactly what I mean / Further explain if you drop me a message n_n

11. Tournament Name: SABOTAGE
Host: FireMage
Projected deadline: TBC - so approx 4-5 months.
Format: See Previous tour thread
Rules: See Tour thread

Basic rundown being - You have to ban x amount of pokémon of your opponents once you lose your match. Thus sabotaging their team / limiting their teambuilding options in further rounds.
Art direction: As much as I like the previous one (Especially the text) I feel a better link with actually sabotaging something can be made within the banner. I'll leave things up to the artist

12. Tournament name: Another Type Restriction Tournament
Host: antemortem
Projected Deadline: after Sunset Colosseum II ends, so maybe five weeks?
Format: previous iteration
Tournament Rules: Every round, a new type will be banned (non-cumulative), and one type will be required.
Art Direction: There was no art previously, so I've nothing to base it on and no particular concept in mind atm. I'm willing to work with whatever an artist can produce.

Tournament name: The UnderUsed of OverUsed
Host: me
Projected Deadline: After Battle Factory ends, so ~5 weeks
Format: OU
Tournament Rules:
  • Standard Tournament rules
  • Disconnection and Timer Clauses: In live tournaments with short time constraints such as the Smogon Tour, if a player disconnects or times out, the opponent may take the win. In other tournaments, if a player disconnects and contends that they could still win, the optimal solution is to recreate the exact situation the disconnection occurred at during the battle. If this is not feasible due to unreasonable battle length, highly improbable circumstances, or some other reason, the player who did not disconnect may choose to rematch with either the same teams or (the option to use) new teams. Timing out is still classified as a loss, unless the reason for timing out is a disconnection. If there is any suspicion that a disconnect was carried out deliberately to take advantage of this rule in any way, we reserve the right to exercise a harsh punishment.)
  • I like replays, they should be posted
  • Best of three (might remove)
  • All Standard OU clauses
Basically, the only usable Pokemon in this tournament are above 3.41% in the OU usage stats of [month this starts in] for 1500, but they must be below 9.7% usage in [month this starts in] for 1500.
Art Direction: Maybe some Pokemon in OU that are battling each other, except the OU Pokemon are barely OU, making them viable for use in the tournament.

14. Tournament name: Home Field Advantage IV
Host: Dubby
Projected Deadline: Maybe a month or two
Format: XY OU, Ubers, UU predominantly, although other tiers may be played
Tournament Rules: Home player chooses tier, players are split into groups. Refer to past editions if necessary.
Art Direction: Anything really. Again, refer to the past versions of this tournament if necessary.

by Bummer

15. Tournament name: The Eggbreaker Cup
Host: Eevee General
Projected Deadline: TBA / couple months
Format: OU-ish
Tournament Rules: Pick 6 eggs from list. Battle with what hatches!
Art Direction: Play off the design above (maybe do like a yolk dripping out and spelling the letters?) or come up with something similar/egg related

by lesre

16. Tournament name: Bang!
Host: Lord Alphose
Projected Deadline: Tournament starts in about a day, so anytime would be lovely.
Format(s): OU, UU, DOUbles, LC
Tournament Rules: Just another team tournament
Art Direction: It's a western-themed tournament; I was pretty much just thinking a Bulbasaur in a cowboy hat, but anything that fits the theme would be great.

17. Tournament name: The Three Mons tournament IV
Host: silver97
Projected Deadline: in a month i believe or something like that
Format: ORAS OU
Tournament Rules: standard ORAS OU with teams consisting of three pokemons
Art Direction: whatever you want, i'm fine if you just want to take the older version and update it, but if you want to try something creative i'll be glad to see it

by Bummer

Tournament name: PUCL
Host: TONE114
Projected Deadline: A couple of months
Format(s): PU
Tournament Rules: Players draft a team of 12 PU Pokemon and compete against each other for the title of PUCL champion.
Art Direction: Was thinking of Simisage, Simisear, and Simipour lined up together with the letters PUCL written underneath them. Something like this: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/618332514172563456/vmnc2klU.jpg
with the Simis as black profiles.
Image: By Hey-It's-Josh

Tournament name: Matchmaking Tournament
Host: NV
Projected Deadline: Before February 14th (I know it is quick, but I hope someone is quicker lol)
Format(s): UU
Tournament Rules: Each round, players pick from a pool of winning Matchmaking cores, build teams around said core, and then proceed to battle it out!
Art Direction: I was thinking of winning cores like Gardevoir + Krookodile and Florges + Suicune "speed dating".
Image: By Cresselia~~

Last edited by a moderator:
Tournament name: The Eggbreaker Cup
Host: Eevee General
Projected Deadline: TBA / couple months
Format: OU-ish
Tournament Rules: Pick 6 eggs from list. Battle with what hatches!
Art Direction: Play off the design above (maybe do like a yolk dripping out and spelling the letters?) or come up with something similar/egg related
WIP, please critique! My main concern is that the way I've portrayed the concept is too general

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
WIP, please critique! My main concern is that the way I've portrayed the concept is too general

That looks amazing; however, while I'm not the requester, I believe the tournament title was "The Eggbreaker Cup," which "Cup" seems to be missing. Then again, this a WIP. Also, the text could also possibly be a different color to see it easier, but, other than that, it looks great!

EV

Banned deucer.

Hey that's cool so far! I agree with Rhythms about adding 'Cup.' The smaller text sample below should work because it looks easier to read than the larger text currently in the spilled yolk.

Rhythms, Eevee General
Thank you so much for your input and I'm glad you're liking it so far!

This is the last WIP. If you wanted to see any palette changes or it to be in any specific format, etc. now would be the time to speak up.
I plan on making the final with a transparent background.

Edited, now shows the final version.

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Rhythms, Eevee General
Thank you so much for your input and I'm glad you're liking it so far!

This is the last WIP. If you wanted to see any palette changes or it to be in any specific format, etc. now would be the time to speak up.
I plan on making the final with a transparent background.
HYPE. One little thing. Could you make the yolk coming out of the egg more fluid? (That bit that ends between the E and G in EGG, specifically.) Right now it sorta looks solid. It might even be fine just to remove that part altogether.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
3. Tournament name: Another Type Restriction Tournament
Host: antemortem
Projected Deadline: after Sunset Colosseum II ends, so maybe five weeks?
Format: previous iteration
Tournament Rules: Every round, a new type will be banned (non-cumulative), and one type will be required.
Art Direction: There was no art previously, so I've nothing to base it on and no particular concept in mind atm. I'm willing to work with whatever an artist can produce.
I have a neat concept in mind for this. I'm thinking of OU mons of the same type sitting in some sort of jail cell with jail outfits on. The name of the tour could be on some sign posted next to the cell or something. As for what type depends, but I have Fighting or Psychic-type in mind. Or maybe Flying-type but instead of a jail cell they're all in bird cages? I'm not the best artist but I could make some sketches and maybe a more experienced artist could take it on.
Tagging antemortem so he sees this

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I have a neat concept in mind for this. I'm thinking of OU mons of the same type sitting in some sort of jail cell with jail outfits on. The name of the tour could be on some sign posted next to the cell or something. As for what type depends, but I have Fighting or Psychic-type in mind. Or maybe Flying-type but instead of a jail cell they're all in bird cages? I'm not the best artist but I could make some sketches and maybe a more experienced artist could take it on.
Tagging antemortem so he sees this
I'm fine with that because I don't know the state of the art atm :(

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tournament name: Bang!
Projected Deadline: Tournament starts in about a day, so anytime would be lovely.
Art Direction: It's a western-themed tournament; I was pretty much just thinking a Bulbasaur in a cowboy hat, but anything that fits the theme would be great.

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Tournament name: Bang!
Did someone say Bulbasaur in a cowboy hat?!

I'm thinking a Bulbasaur shooting a gun, and the 'Bang!' title would appear on one of those comic style 'explosion' things. Or even one of those gag guns in cartoons where a flag comes out with the 'bang' title. May have it shooting downwards to make it more banner esque. How's that sound? I'll try to get some sketches in later today.

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
And update! I was so excited to draw this that I scribbled around for some ideas while at school and landed on this. What do you think of this kind of thing, Lord Alphose ? Sorry if it's messy, I used my eraser a lot. It's also pretty unclear because lol bad sketch but he's wearing a scarf and a vest like them cowbois. The hardest part is trying to get the Bulbasaur arm stubs to hold a gun but I'll manage with some proper references lol.

Bang!.jpg

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And update! I was so excited to draw this that I scribbled around for some ideas while at school and landed on this. What do you think of this kind of thing, Lord Alphose ? Sorry if it's messy, I used my eraser a lot. It's also pretty unclear because lol bad sketch but he's wearing a scarf and a vest like them cowbois. The hardest part is trying to get the Bulbasaur arm stubs to hold a gun but I'll manage with some proper references lol.

View attachment 48962
Absolutely brilliant. 11/10. Like, really right now, that's perfect <3

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tournament Rules: Players draft a team of 12 PU Pokemon and compete against each other for the title of PUCL champion.
Art Direction: Was thinking of Simisage, Simisear, and Simipour lined up together with the letters PUCL written underneath them. Something like this: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/618332514172563456/vmnc2klU.jpg

Last edited:
I'll take a crack at this, what does PUCL stand for?

Last edited:

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'll take a crack at this, what does PUCL stand for?
UCL stands for the United Champions League, but since PU doesn't have a name like all the other official tiers as of yet, so PUUCL would be the appropriate name: or the PU United Championship League.

UCL stands for the United Champions League, but since PU doesn't have a name like all the other official tiers as of yet, so PUUCL would be the appropriate name: or the PU United Championship League.
Hey man, so I did some playing around with it, and wanted to know what you thought of it. I feel that some work could be done on the text, but I want your opinion on how you want it changed.

PUCL banner revised WIP smaller.png

TONE

Hey man, so I did some playing around with it, and wanted to know what you thought of it. I feel that some work could be done on the text, but I want your opinion on how you want it changed.

Man that looks great. You can make the text a bit bigger and give the text the same coloring as the letters from PUCL. You can also spread the letters in PUCL out so the text looks better under the corresponding letters. Still looks great man, I really appreciate your work!

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Projected Deadline: Before February 14th (I know it is quick, but I hope someone is quicker lol)
Tournament Rules: Each round, players pick from a pool of winning Matchmaking cores, build teams around said core, and then proceed to battle it out!
Art Direction: I was thinking of winning cores like Gardevoir + Krookodile and Florges + Suicune "speed dating".

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
smogon 20160203 florges suicune.jpg

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I am in love with this. Is there any way I can get "UnderUsed Matchmaking" written like above them in a cutesy text (UU Matchmaking works as well). I know it is for the tour, but I would so love to use this for the actual thread as I have been without a banner for awhile now since the old one got deleted from the image site that hosted it. Again thank you so much. I couldn't have thought of such an amazing piece of artwork :)

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I am in love with this. Is there any way I can get "UnderUsed Matchmaking" written like above them in a cutesy text (UU Matchmaking works as well). I know it is for the tour, but I would so love to use this for the actual thread as I have been without a banner for awhile now since the old one got deleted from the image site that hosted it. Again thank you so much. I couldn't have thought of such an amazing piece of artwork :)
smogon 20160203 florges suicune txt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)