Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

The Art Submissions thread does traditionally open the same time as the Threats Discussion, but it lasts much longer, and remains open all the way through the Primary Ability, Stat Limits, Stat Submissions, and Secondary Ability phases. I can't speak from personal experience here, but from my observations over the past several projects, this usually gives the artists ample time to tweak their designs if they feel it's necessary to fit the chosen stats and abilities.

In the current art submission thread, someone's post got deleted for having someone else do their concept art. Why is this? I thought it was accepted in this thread that this could be done and was allowed?

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
"Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted."

This has always been a rule, and can be found near the top of the main post.

My question is kind of weird... was whoever made stratagem a New Yorker? I ask because i found this design on a wall at Lincoln Center...

Sorry about the absurdly large picture. Tell me that resemblance isn't striking. Just thought this was interesting.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have no idea if yourDeadGrandad was a New Yorker or not. YDG was not very active even when Stratagem was made, and was not involved for long after that. So we'll probably never get a definitive answer to the question. But I definitely agree the resemblence is strong enough to question if it's just coincidental. Although, people have found the image of Jesus in Cheetos and other food, so finding Stratagem in Lincoln Center is not too much of a stretch...

Last edited:
Hi. :D

I'm not a New Yorker, no. Not to say it's nothing to do with me, like*. Got to get up to something during my mysterious absence**. ;)

*it isn't, it really isn't.

**I've just been lurking lately. I'm not sure exactly when it started, but it was around the same time that I forgot my password.

"Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted."

This has always been a rule, and can be found near the top of the main post.
I have seen people allowed to create collaborated material before so how does that work?

Several CAPs are missing pokedex entries on their final product page. Where can they be found?

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Several CAPs are missing pokedex entries on their final product page. Where can they be found?
Several of the first Pokemon do not have Pokedex entries as that stage did not exist at the time. I believe it was added at a later date to "flesh out" CaP Pokemon more. Otherwise, look for their final product threads in the main forum or the archive and the relevant information should be in the OP of those threads.

Several of the first Pokemon do not have Pokedex entries as that stage did not exist at the time. I believe it was added at a later date to "flesh out" CaP Pokemon more. Otherwise, look for their final product threads in the main forum or the archive and the relevant information should be in the OP of those threads.
Syclant through Stratagem have pokedex entries, but once it reaches Arghonaut, things just stop. Pokedex entries resume at Voodoom, but Cawmodore, Volkraken and Crucibelle's are missing as well.

I'm of course, referring to all of the CAPmon final product pages. If the aforementioned 8 'mon don't have dex entries anywhere, will we ever make some for them? It's pure flavor, so why not?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Syclant through Stratagem have pokedex entries, but once it reaches Arghonaut, things just stop. Pokedex entries resume at Voodoom, but Cawmodore, Volkraken and Crucibelle's are missing as well.

I'm of course, referring to all of the CAPmon final product pages. If the aforementioned 8 'mon don't have dex entries anywhere, will we ever make some for them? It's pure flavor, so why not?
They are in the archive:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-21-pokedex-poll-3.3567819/ Crucibelle
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-18-part-13-pokedex-poll-3.3508694/ Volkraken
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-6-part-13-pokedex-poll-3.3494019/ Cawmodore

It appears that Krilowatt, Collosoil, Cychlohm, Kitsunoh and Arghonaut do not have dex entries at all. I assume the Topic Leaders for those CaPs did not find them necessary to have at the end of the day, so they did not produce any/hold votes on them. It's certainly something we may be able to address during the downtime between the end of This CaP and the start of Gen 7 CaPs.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This may be a stupid question, but assuming I get permission, am I allowed to use CAP Pokemon in a fan-made Pokemon game?
This question has come up a few times, and was answered earlier in the thread. Basically, you can, but there are some rules:

You can use CAP pokemon for your game, if you wish. But you must observe the following stipulations:

• Your game cannot be affiliated with another established online pokemon community
  • Credit the "Create-A-Pokemon Project", and provide links to our website, located here: http://www.smogon.com/cap/
  • Your representation of our characters must be consistent with the names, design elements, and overall themes of the characters as defined on the CAP website and CAP forum
Many people have created artworks, ROM hacks, video fighting games, and other interesting offshoot projects using our characters. If you get something interesting together, please let me know and perhaps we can cross-link from here to your project. Good luck!

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi! So can anyone basically ask to join the CAP community and design a pokemon?
CAP is a community process where we design Pokemon all together. Individuals do not get to design their own Pokemon. That said, anyone is welcome to participate in discussions and vote in the polls. If you are interested in participating, I highly recommend reading the CAP Newcomers Guide.

Why is Crucibelle the only cap that mega evolves?
We don't modify existing caps, so Cawmodore and any previous CAP cannot recieve a mega. The gen 6 mons didn't get mega evolutions because CAP was against making Mega Evolutions at the time. There was a long discussion about whether or not CAP should make mega evolutions, and that discussion led to us making Mega Crucibelle.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Why never edit old ones?
Because those Pokemon are a testament to the metagame they were created for. There were edits a few years ago, but it broke the majority of the CaPs they changed. They were eventually reverted back to their original formats.

Editing the older CaPs has been a very contentious argument for a long time.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
You should PM the mods to ask such questions. But 9 times of 10 it's going to because a rule in the thread was broken in your post or because the post didn't contribute to the thread's function.

Would a mega for and older CAP be a viable concept for a future CAP if it could be backed up by reason.
i.e. Mega Fidgit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)