Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Doubles Edition

No hate, what would be the point in this thread if we refused to answer questions like this?

In my experience the best partners for this core are hard-hitting Grass-types, which complements the core by taking out the likes of Gastrodon and Rotom-Wash which are among the few things that can reliably shut it down. Breloom is a personal favourite as 70 base speed is exactly the right speed to profit from Zapdos's Tailwind, and T-wind means you can consider running Low Sweep over Mach Punch for more power. Another Grass-type (which, I'll be honest, I've never tried) that could work really well is Rotom-Mow, due to a serendipitous typing and ability which means it takes nothing from Earthquake and very little from Discharge, plus it can spam Discharge itself.

If you are looking for more of a supportive role, Musharna is also fantastic as it can boost the power of attacks with Helping Hand and use Imprison to prevent the opponent from using Protect, all while taking no damage from Dis/Quake thanks to its ability Telepathy. However, it doesn't do much damage on its own, and is slower than the Internet was in 1993 so Tailwind is wasted on it.

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
To add to noobcube's suggestions, I think Latias is an awesome partner if you are trying to make a dedicated Tailwind team; immunity to Mamo's Earthquake, and ability to countering rain very well. Also acts as a second Tailwind setter.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
No hate, what would be the point in this thread if we refused to answer questions like this?

In my experience the best partners for this core are hard-hitting Grass-types, which complements the core by taking out the likes of Gastrodon which is one of the few things that can reliably shut it down. Breloom is a personal favourite as 70 base speed is exactly the right speed to profit from Zapdos's Tailwind, and T-wind means you can consider running Low Sweep over Mach Punch for more power. Another Grass-type (which, I'll be honest, I've never tried) that could work really well is Rotom-Mow, due to a serendipitous typing and ability which means it takes nothing from Earthquake and very little from Discharge, plus it can spam Discharge itself.

If you are looking for more of a supportive role, Musharna is also fantastic as it can boost the power of attacks with Helping Hand and use Imprison to prevent the opponent from using Protect, all while taking no damage from Dis/Quake thanks to its ability Telepathy. However, it doesn't do much damage on its own, and is slower than the Internet was in 1993 so Tailwind is wasted on it.
I wasn't sure if there might've been a specified thread for certain questions such as the one I asked. I thought this was more a general one, but it is nice to know I can post questions here with no regret (as long as I don't spam, lol, right?)
Musharna would actually do well at stopping TR teams, which are the bane of Tailwind teams existence. Breloom and Ro-Mo would be awesome and yeah Ro-Mo being immune to EQ while taking little for Discharge is a plus, lol.

To add to noobcube's suggestions, I think Latias is an awesome partner if you are trying to make a dedicated Tailwind team; immunity to Mamo's Earthquake, and ability to countering rain very well. Also acts as a second Tailwind setter.
I was really considering Latias as it can set Tailwind and counter rain, the bane of Mamo's existence, lol. And what is funny is at first I wasn't trying to make a dedicated Tailwind team until I realized that Mamo benefits happily from it and Zapdos can set it up reliably, :P

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick question (and I hope I get no hate for posting this here) but was wondering who partners well with a Mamoswine + Zapdos EQ + Discharge core? I would love some help, :D
while some of the suggestions have been nice, figured i'd just let you know that disquake cores generally aren't too effective, especially in high level play. due to the fact that it really only pairs well w/ each other, it can put you in a bad spot since you won't want to hit your partners, and in general it's an outdated and predictable strategy. also discharge doesn't really hit too hard and you're generally better off using thunderbolt.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
while some of the suggestions have been nice, figured i'd just let you know that disquake cores generally aren't too effective, especially in high level play. due to the fact that it really only pairs well w/ each other, it can put you in a bad spot since you won't want to hit your partners, and in general it's an outdated and predictable strategy. also discharge doesn't really hit too hard and you're generally better off using thunderbolt.
Would it still be effective to run Mamo +Zapdos with T-Bolt and make it a Tailwind team? If so, I guess I can do that...I just thought spreading paralysis while teammates either Protect or are immune to it could be fun, but yea it seems predictable...(Also Pwenemon asked me to not write in green but in black instead to make it easier to read...sorry if anyone couldn't read my nice green typing, lol.)

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah Nightmare Vampire, they can make for good partners. mamoswine enjoys the speed boost and zapdos can get rid of bulky water types that trouble mamoswine with its thunderbolt. also not having to worry about hitting zapdos with earthquake is nice. just something to keep in mind when building is that you don't have to dedicate your team to abusing tailwind just because you decide to use tailwind zapdos, so don't feel obligated to make a team like that or think that tailwind zapdos can't be effective on its own

nv

The Lost Age
yeah Nightmare Vampire, they can make for good partners. mamoswine enjoys the speed boost and zapdos can get rid of bulky water types that trouble mamoswine with its thunderbolt. also not having to worry about hitting zapdos with earthquake is nice. just something to keep in mind when building is that you don't have to dedicate your team to abusing tailwind just because you decide to use tailwind zapdos, so don't feel obligated to make a team like that or think that tailwind zapdos can't be effective on its own
I actually made a team set around Tailwind and it has been doing great in the meta. It consists of great abusers of Tailwind and some great Tailwind support. Thanks for all the help everyone, :D

I've been recommended to just play a bunch of games to get me started as an introduction to the doubles metagame given I know the basics having played since red and blue days. Any other advice to a newcomer to this metagame?

I've been recommended to just play a bunch of games to get me started as an introduction to the doubles metagame given I know the basics having played since red and blue days. Any other advice to a newcomer to this metagame?
Watch a lot of games too

Just enjoy yourself. :)

Should there be a limit to how many Pokemon carry the move Protect in a Trick Room Doubles Team? Should every Trick Room sweeper have Protect? I seem to have trouble with this the most, having pokemon carry similar movesets (3 attacks and Protect on TR sweepers and Trick Room, 2 attack moves and another support move).

Also, i was wondering if Pangoro is viable in Trick Room as well.

Should there be a limit to how many Pokemon carry the move Protect in a Trick Room Doubles Team? Should every Trick Room sweeper have Protect? I seem to have trouble with this the most, having pokemon carry similar movesets (3 attacks and Protect on TR sweepers and Trick Room, 2 attack moves and another support move).

Also, i was wondering if Pangoro is viable in Trick Room as well.
Protect is much less useful on TR teams due to max HP on most things, almost always winning in speed while it is up and stalling out your TR turns.
More coverage options will usually help you get the most out of your 4 turns. However, something like Conkeldurr who is weak to Talonflame could of course make use of Protect. Play around with it, but you definitely don't need Protect on EVERYTHING

Protect is much less useful on TR teams due to max HP on most things, almost always winning in speed while it is up and stalling out your TR turns.
More coverage options will usually help you get the most out of your 4 turns. However, something like Conkeldurr who is weak to Talonflame could of course make use of Protect. Play around with it, but you definitely don't need Protect on EVERYTHING
This puts my concerns about Protect in TR to rest. I always love more coverage moves but Protect always took up a slot limiting my options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)