All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Don't have much stake in ADV, but there is a couple ways one could technically bring XD closer to cartridge ADV without modding.

First, as far as I can see from Youtube videos (don't have XD myself) XD doesn't display either player's team when you're actually in game. This means you could technically just have a 3rd party set up both players teams so neither player gets a look at the opponent's team composition, bypassing Team Preview. Or you can just have the TV/Monitor off during the points where you could see the exact team compositions.

Second, it appears that you can use XD as a middleman between to GBAs. The GBAs don't display the opponent at all, so you can only see the opponent's information on the TV. However, there's nothing stopping you from simply taping a strip of cardboard or something over where the exact HP is displayed. This would get around Exact HP.

The last thing to determine is how the GBAs work with XD. If XD mechanics take over GBA mechanics, ADV could get old SleepTalk mechanics back without modding if it wanted by using XD with Exact HP/Team Preview claused out as I described (though it'd have to take any other mechanics differences along with it). Pretty sure that's how it works, because considering the interface on the GBAs my assumption is the GBA is effectively just an input and XD is running the actual battle. If GBA mechanics take over, or it desyncs because the GBA and XD are both running the battle and seeing different things when their mechanics conflict, then this wouldn't work at all.

Perhaps a dumb question, but: How does XD handle Deoxys forms? iirc Deoxys shifts forms depending on the game it's in. So what does it do when it's on XD? Does it use the form of the game you're taking it from or does it autoset it to like... Deo-N or something like that?

I imagine that if you were seriously to move ADV OU to XD, you'd take ADV Ubers (and UU/NU) along for the ride, and that question would be relevant for ADV Ubers.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Perhaps a dumb question, but: How does XD handle Deoxys forms? iirc Deoxys shifts forms depending on the game it's in. So what does it do when it's on XD? Does it use the form of the game you're taking it from or does it autoset it to like... Deo-N or something like that?

I imagine that if you were seriously to move ADV OU to XD, you'd take ADV Ubers (and UU/NU) along for the ride, and that question would be relevant for ADV Ubers.
Deoxys Forms in Gen 3 depend on the game being played. In your specific case it would be Deo-N.

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
is there a Match up table for rby ou of some sort? Heard about it but never found it.
I think this is the one you heard about, a spreadsheet made by Consumptus.

It was made before and not changed as a result of Crystal_ 's normal-types can't be paralyzed by body slam discovery, which changed the matchups quite a bit if normal types aren't paralyzed prior to facing off against each other. For instance, Tauros relies on a critical hit or freeze to beat an un-paralyzed Chansey not in KO range from its Hyper Beam, since the Chansey can Thunder Wave Tauros, outspeed it and recover more HP with Softboiled than Tauros can deal to it without critical hits.

I think this is the one you heard about, a spreadsheet made by Consumptus.

It was made before and not changed as a result of Crystal_ 's normal-types can't be paralyzed by body slam discovery, which changed the matchups quite a bit if normal types aren't paralyzed prior to facing off against each other. For instance, Tauros relies on a critical hit or freeze to beat an un-paralyzed Chansey not in KO range from its Hyper Beam, since the Chansey can Thunder Wave Tauros, outspeed it and recover more HP with Softboiled than Tauros can deal to it without critical hits.
this looks great just what I needed, thanks

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been wondering this for a while and with adv 200 being up on ps, I just have to ask. So according to this smogon adv 200 article, http://www.smogon.com/rs/articles/200_metagame it seems that for some reason sleep talk is not allowed. Probably because the move was unavailable as a tutor move at the time. However every source I can find says that the exploud line happens to be the one pokemon available in ruby and sapphire that can learn the move naturally. Its even able to breed the move on to several other pokemon. But if this is the case, why would the article say it's not allowed? Was it for some other reason I'm not thinking of?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I've been wondering this for a while and with adv 200 being up on ps, I just have to ask. So according to this smogon adv 200 article, http://www.smogon.com/rs/articles/200_metagame it seems that for some reason sleep talk is not allowed. Probably because the move was unavailable as a tutor move at the time. However every source I can find says that the exploud line happens to be the one pokemon available in ruby and sapphire that can learn the move naturally. Its even able to breed the move on to several other pokemon. But if this is the case, why would the article say it's not allowed? Was it for some other reason I'm not thinking of?
Is exploud able to breed it onto others in rs or just after emerald? If it can in rs, then that was likely an oversight by the people that used to play it. Maybe Floppy would know otherwise?

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
I'm not super versed on breeding mechanics et al, but I can tell you for sure that restalk grumpig used to be a thing in 200 when I played it, so I'm not so sure about s-talk being banned or anything.

chances are like Oglemi said it was probably a slight oversight

Sorry to bother everyone, but ever since I started breeding in Gen 7, hatching seems to be very quick. Odd, given that O-Powers were removed along with O-Hatching. The steps required for each egg have not decreased as far as I can tell, with the only change being going from using a Bicycle to hatch to using Poke-Ride Tauros and its dash mechanic. So, does anyone know/can find out the tile traverse speed difference between Gen 6's Bicycle and Gen 7's Poke-Ride Tauros? Ty!

Sorry to bother everyone, but ever since I started breeding in Gen 7, hatching seems to be very quick. Odd, given that O-Powers were removed along with O-Hatching. The steps required for each egg have not decreased as far as I can tell, with the only change being going from using a Bicycle to hatch to using Poke-Ride Tauros and its dash mechanic. So, does anyone know/can find out the tile traverse speed difference between Gen 6's Bicycle and Gen 7's Poke-Ride Tauros? Ty!
iirc someone worked it out to 33 steps/sec. with Tauros dash. Idk what the bikes are, but I assume they're less.
Also fwiw this could probably go in Orange Islands.

Does anyone have a link to the latest ORAS OU viability ranking thread that existed before Sun and Moon came out?

I am just curious to see what the state of the ORAS metagame was like in its final days before it was replaced by SM. I am guessing that this thread is archived somewhere.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone have a link to the latest ORAS OU viability ranking thread that existed before Sun and Moon came out?

I am just curious to see what the state of the ORAS metagame was like in its final days before it was replaced by SM. I am guessing that this thread is archived somewhere.
Here you go.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...king-thread-v5-see-page-43-post-1063.3571990/

Since the ORAS OU subforum was removed and combined with roa, all of the threads regarding it has been sent to the thread cryonics. Theres plenty of hidden gems in that section if you are searching for older threads. Wouldnt be a bad idea actually to have this thread moved or at least remade here since most things oras would go here now anyway and this would be the place people would look for that info.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Does Gen1 include Pokémon Stadium (only the original, not the sequel) and Green versions? (Trade backs only from Stadium, mechanics and trade backs from Green)?
I ask because it says GEN 1 not RBY
I.e. Obtaining Surf Pikachu from Stadium.

I ask it here, in case Green's DV mechanics may give more light on how to determine the viability and rules on how DVs and other cartridge limits take precedent.

------
Same question for Gen 2 regarding Pokémon Stadium 2 trade backs.

Also what about any variations to region differences? (I.e. Celebi being available in Japanese GSC game cartridges through an event, but their cable adapters [used for trading] being different from US cable adapters- therefore making US cartridges unable to receive Celebi in anyway since they wouldn't have an adapter able to connect 2 different region-based Game Boys).

Gen 1 refers to the cartridges and Stadium. Gen 2 is the cartridges and Stadium 2. All within the international releases, specifically North American only, to account for NYPC gifts. So the Japan only stuff is a no go

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
does lapras have any niche in bw ou?
Bloo (i believe) used the Hydration Whirlpool/DD trapper set to win some match a long time ago, but beyond that pretty much anything Lapras wants to do you're going to be better off using Dragonite or just Starmie on rain.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
re: japan only stuff in gsc

encore donphan is japan only but for the longest time was legal (I think the precedent set at that point was "anything released ever is fair game" but nypc-only is actually possible in-cart so thats the way to go if its up for debate/not already the case)

speaking of sims I havent checked in forever can anyone point to the thread where we decided to only allow growth eeveelitions to be shiny because thats how nypc released them? Im not mad or disagreeing or anything lol, I just want to know where it happened because Im curious about huge long-standing oversights like this & ADV spikes dmg at 2 layers.

I haven't seen a thread regarding the eeveelution line having to be shiny to use growth and also:
Eevee was obtainable as non shiny
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Gotta_Catch_'Em_All_event_Pokémon

On the bottom of the site is a source linked. The actual website isn't online anymore, but the webarchive got it:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030124023941/http://www.pokemon.com/events/events8.asp

Rare reffers to the pokemon being shiny and as you can see eevee is listed as normal and rare, with growth. So you could obtain a non shiny growth eevee thru that event.

Last edited:
Just noticed that the RoA spotlight for this month is Gen 4 Anything Goes. Never heard of this metagame even existing prior to now and I'm interested in what it's like; is there a thread or something somewhere for it?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
That's because it's a metagame that never really existed before, so no you won't find (m)any resources for it. You could make your own thread if you really wanted to discuss it, dunno how much activity you'd see in it though.

I thought RoA spotlights had to be an existing/established metagame before being spotlighted in the first place? Why pick a nonexistent metagame as a spotlight?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)