Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I would like to know if there's a way to play with my pokemons from my pokemon diamond save that I'm playing in emulator. I know there's something called import from text where you can create the pokemon as you wish, but as a newbie it seems too complex for me. Is there any program where you can choose the save and it show's you this text or something like that?

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hi, I would like to know if there's a way to play with my pokemons from my pokemon diamond save that I'm playing in emulator. I know there's something called import from text where you can create the pokemon as you wish, but as a newbie it seems too complex for me. Is there any program where you can choose the save and it show's you this text or something like that?
I moved your post here because it dosen't belong in its own thread.

You can't import pokemon from the games or emulators to PS, you can re-create your team in the teambuilder though.
Import from text is used to share teams made on PS with other users (along with the import/export button).

I moved your post here because it dosen't belong in its own thread.

You can't import pokemon from the games or emulators to PS, you can re-create your team in the teambuilder though.
Import from text is used to share teams made on PS with other users (along with the import/export button).
Ok, thank you

What was Showdown! like before it had ladders? How were usage-based tiers created before there were ladders? When ladders were being implemented, how did they get everyone to suddenly start playing ladder battles?

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
What was Showdown! like before it had ladders? How were usage-based tiers created before there were ladders? When ladders were being implemented, how did they get everyone to suddenly start playing ladder battles?
Showdown is just the latest simulator that smogon has used and it's always had ladders as far as I'm aware. Its predecessor, Shoddy Battle, had ladders as well. The history of how Smogon got started is described on this page. It doesn't have all the answers you're looking for, but this paragraph contains some of them:

Though officially established December 18th, 2004 by the site owner, chaos, the history of our organization stretches back many years. Some members have been part of the online competitive Pokémon scene since 1999, originating from websites such as GameFAQs, Azure Heights, RPGamer, Pojo, and The PokeMasters. Top battlers from these websites held a number of tournaments, hosted on the original "Pokémon Battle Simulator," a web based sim written by Blizzard for the RBY Pokémon games. Other battle simulators were made, more strategies were developed, and a close knit community began to form around the game. This community needed a unifying presence on the Internet, a definitive home. And thus, Smogon began.
To answer your question, my best guess is ladders were around long before the tiering system. As it says in the above paragraph, some of our members have been playing competitive mons since 1999, so it's likely that ladders have been around since then or maybe a little later. Once ladders were established and it became possible to collect usage stats, someone probably had the idea to separate pokemon by usage stats and make another ladder for the "under-used" pokemon, thus creating the tiering system we currently use. That's not actual history so much as it is the most likely way it all happened based on what I know. Idk if anyone other than chaos is still around from that time, but if they see this I hope they let me know if any of my assumptions are incorrect.

So how did the Showdown! developers get everyone to suddenly switch over from Shoddy Battle or Pokemon Online or whatever?

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
So how did the Showdown! developers get everyone to suddenly switch over from Shoddy Battle or Pokemon Online or whatever?
It has been made Smogon's official sim, replacing PO.
We replaced PO as Smogon's official simulator in May 2012. I kept on asking for more time, but PO had a bug that hackers were using to attack Smogon and PO devs refused to fix
(from Zarel's AMA)

Edit: it wasn't "suddenly" either — a few years ago, having almost all the time more than 10k people playing PS simultaneously would have been a utopia

Why does Missingno. appear in the team builder? Does it do anything other than being banned in every format that I can think of?

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-610776341
In that battle, I had an Accelgor with Hidden Power Rock. However, it had stats that were equal to one with the IVs 31/0/31/31/31/31 and the EVs 84/0/84/84/84/84. My guess would be that it was Hyper Trained, but that shouldn't really be possible, since it's not level 100 and there's no formats on cart that set Pokemon that are level 100 down to specific levels based on their usage.
So my question is: does randbats stats with regards of Hidden Power and Hyper Training act like the IVs are Hyper Trained even if they're shouldn't be, or does it just take the leftover EVs from attack and distribute them among the other stats to give it the IVs: 31/0/30/31/30/30 and EVs: 84/0/88/84/88/88?

Didn't get an answer from Help, so I'll ask here.

Can someone explain how italics interact with highlights? I've always thought that italics prevent hls from happening, but this isn't the case 100% of the time.

Here's a name with just by itself not highlighting: https://i.gyazo.com/151a3e3119b30209cd116c0a34d898f1.png

Here's a name with other text highlighting: http://imgur.com/a/ZuoEE

If someone could explain how this works and how to properly prevent highlights, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

how italics interact with highlights
In your first screenshot, the message is "__GL Folkner__", which does not cause a highlight because there aren't any spaces between the name and "__". "_" counts as a letter character in javascript regular expressions, so this is similar to how "xxGL Folknerxx" would not highlight the user.

In your first screenshot, the message is "__GL Folkner__", which does not cause a highlight because there aren't any spaces between the name and "__". "_" counts as a letter character in javascript regular expressions, so this is similar to how "xxGL Folknerxx" would not highlight the user.
Thanks for the response! If I'm understanding this correctly, if there are any additional spaces in the italicized text, such as "__[timestamp]_[name]__" (where _ is the space and __ is italics), it would cause a highlight?

If so, is the way to avoid highlights italicizing the name only and nothing else? This appears to be the only way without intentionally misspelling the name, unless there's something else I missed.

Thanks again!

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does Showdown have a public API for housing its Pokemon/Ability/Move/etc. data? I've been working to make a Discord bot that can output this data but finding it online as an API or in JSON has been a pain (Pokeapi is outdated <_<)

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
I know by editing the import screen in the teambuilder you can add more than 6 Pokémon to your team at once, but how many will it allow at once? I tried to test it myself, and figured it would take years the way I was doing it (typing each mon in individually until it wouldn't let me anymore).

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I know by editing the import screen in the teambuilder you can add more than 6 Pokémon to your team at once, but how many will it allow at once? I tried to test it myself, and figured it would take years the way I was doing it (typing each mon in individually until it wouldn't let me anymore).
man do you even copy paste

i tried this myself and it didn't seem to have an end point, although the time needed to save got progressively longer. since it's based on cookies the more cookies you have the more pokemon you can put in i guess???

also as you can see in the images some of the mons bugged out in this weird way because of something relating to showdown. very interesting

cryogonals is a very aesthetic background for good teams. unfortunately that means i don't have any use for it

hope this answered your question

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
The Server's Validator only allows up to 6 pokemon per team.

Not entirely sure this is 100% the right place for this, but here goes:

What's the approximate timeframe for a Server Registration request to be approved? And when it is responded to, will I only be contacted if the request was granted? Likewise, how long will it take, if the request is granted, for the server to receive full functionality, such as replays (will I need to restart it to do so)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)