Ask a simple question - get a simple answer: PU edition

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Any tips on making a team ?
Just to add on to what Taskr said, workshops are also held quite frequently so look out for those being advertised around Discord or in the PU room! They're a great way to see how other, more advanced players build and also gives you a look at the styles and strategies behind it n_n

When Beta drops the PU tier will receive a new forum that will have a Bazaar thread and a Sample team's thread for you to also pick some teams from and use, if you're talking about SM. If you're talking about ORAS I'd recommend picking up a sample team from the thread and giving it a whirl before trying to build your own.

Last edited:

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I'm going to start playing PU. Is there any mons I should notably watch out for, anything that's particularly good, etc?
Hi, some key threats to look out for in the PU Alpha meta in my opinion are Scyther, Ninjask, Guzzlord, Malamar, Gallade, Sawk, Gurdurr, Typhlosion, Charizard, Sableye, The playstyle Aurora Veil, Cinccino, Tauros, and Klinklang. You said you are new, so its also a good idea to refer to some of the resources we have such as the visual tier list and Role Comp.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-pu-alpha-playable-on-ps.3587369/page-11#post-7425546 Role Comp
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-pu-alpha-playable-on-ps.3587369/page-11#post-7423483 Tier List

Last edited:
I'm going to start playing PU. Is there any mons I should notably watch out for, anything that's particularly good, etc?
Also just to add with this since I'm pretty new as well and have learned a ton in my time at PU, once you've built a team, practice a ton with it. Learn what threats counter you, what your pivots are, where the special attackers and physical attackers line up against your team, etc. Once you do that, I've found it much easier to do everything else in PU :D. If you need any help building like a core for a team or want me to look it over, I'm usually online (with the same username) and the PU room in general is a great place to ask what your team needs from moveslots and ev's to total substitutions.

I'm super glad you are deciding to get into PU though, I've definitely had a blast and you picked a good time to get into it as beta is almost here. Hope to see you there :)

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Is Articuno any good in this meta, and what sets would be good for it? Loved using it in ORAS.
The meta doesnt favor it at the moment with all of the Fire-types and Steel-types such as Typhlosion Magmortar Pyroar, Klinklang and Ferroseed etc running around. Being quad weak to Rocks doesnt help it either even if we do have good hazard control. Articuno might be decent post beta, if we do ban some of these threats. As for sets, I would assume SubRoost would remain good or even 3 attacks Roost with HP Fighting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)