Ask a simple question - get a simple answer: PU edition

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yo i'm a doubles player and I'd want to get into a singles tier, I chose to try PU because shit user SpaceBass kept saying it was good and everyone circlejerks over how fun this tier is.
I have no clue what to do in singles anymore since last time i played singles was DPP OU and BW Ubers. Since then, things have changed, both on teambuilding and how to play game.

Disregarding how to play, and regarding more so how to teambuild, I'd like to ask: how the fuck to I PU?

also regardless of how cool this tier is doubles is still the supreme smogon meta :]
Sign up for tutoring in b101 when that starts or try reading things like these to help teach yourself. Other than that we can't really just make you good
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-viability-rankings.3528743/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-build-a-better-player-pu-edition.3544791/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-speed-tiers-and-role-compendium.3553385/

I have a quick question about Swirlix. Is Swirlix a really bad pokemon? Or is it just in a higher teir? LOL. I miss using Swirlix since it is banned from LC.

I have a quick question about Swirlix. Is Swirlix a really bad pokemon? Or is it just in a higher teir? LOL. I miss using Swirlix since it is banned from LC.
It is allowed in use for PU, but I wouldn't recommend using it. It is one of the only remaining users of Belly Drum since the banning of Linoone, but it simply lacks the traits that make its evolution good in UU. It automatically loses to Steel-types, is very frail, and simply just too risky/gimmicky to justify using outside of really bad joke teams. As for sets other than Belly Drum......just use Clefairy LOL.

Edit: Thanks.

It is allowed in use for PU, but I wouldn't recommend using it. It is one of the only remaining users of Belly Drum since the banning of Linoone, but it simply lacks the traits that make its evolution good in UU. It automatically loses to Steel-types, is very frail, and simply just too risky and gimmicky to justify using outside of really bad joke teams. As for sets other than Belly Drum......just use Clefairy LOL.
Thanks for the honest reply : D

I'm thinking of making a mixed team with Audino as a cleric; is there any Pokemon that would have good synergy with it? I've been thinking of using Altaria along with it since it blocks Fighting type attacks, but I'm not sure if Metang or Pawniward would check Altaria's weaknesses in return (since both of them just add more type venurability to the equation).

I'm thinking of making a mixed team with Audino as a cleric; is there any Pokemon that would have good synergy with it? I've been thinking of using Altaria along with it since it blocks Fighting type attacks, but I'm not sure if Metang or Pawniward would check Altaria's weaknesses in return (since both of them just add more type venurability to the equation).
These links will take you to other threads that can assist you greatly if you want to continue building on your own:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-viability-rankings.3528743/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-speed-tiers-and-role-compendium.3553385/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-checks-compendium.3552986/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-build-a-better-player-pu-edition.3544791/

This thread you can ask for a team built around Cleric Audino and one of the builders there shall create a completed team for you:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-teambuilding-shop.3528733/

Any other assistance you need can be found in the PU chatroom on showdown were many of the players will do there best in helping you. :)

I saw an audino set posted in a thread and i cant seem to find it but basically its just was to be PU's jarichi w/out scarf and the set was 3 moves + healing wish and im useing life orb. Im looking for an ev spread that will maximize its bulk while still ko-ing pawn with drain punch

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
I saw an audino set posted in a thread and i cant seem to find it but basically its just was to be PU's jarichi w/out scarf and the set was 3 moves + healing wish and im useing life orb. Im looking for an ev spread that will maximize its bulk while still ko-ing pawn with drain punch
here it might be this one

I made an ou themed team and ive been using

Lil-chomp (Gabite) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Fire Blast

"Tank chomp"
But i was looking for a better spread and wondering if evolite would add enough bulk to out weigh the utility of helmet.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I made an ou themed team and ive been using

Lil-chomp (Gabite) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Fire Blast

"Tank chomp"
But i was looking for a better spread and wondering if evolite would add enough bulk to out weigh the utility of helmet.
Yes, eviolite is the superior choice. Fire blast is also fairly mediocre so you might want to look into other options like dragon claw or toxic

Just a simple question about the PU Viability Rankings : why is Lickilicky Rank C ?
I know that Lickilicky is atm outclassed by Audino, but why go so far in the Rank C, even with its better bulk ?

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Just a simple question about the PU Viability Rankings : why is Lickilicky Rank C ?
I know that Lickilicky is atm outclassed by Audino, but why go so far in the Rank C, even with its better bulk ?
Regenerator is so much of a positive Audino has over Lickilicky, that you're not going to use Lickilicky over Audino ever. This outside of purely offensive sets, which still aren't worth being rated more than C, especially now that we have other set up sweepers such as Bouffalant, and Lickilicky faces more though competition even on offensive roles.

Why is Politoed PU? Is that even with Drizzle? I took a loooooong break (and it's not like I'm coming back really), and I'm curious as to why rain teams apparently aren't viable in OU anymore.

drizzle is banned in uu and below

i don't know much about ou but from what i can tell rain is still good but not quite used enough for politoed to be ou, and since drizzle is banned in uu and below it fell to pu (where water absorb politoed is quite good)

Why is Politoed PU? Is that even with Drizzle? I took a loooooong break (and it's not like I'm coming back really), and I'm curious as to why rain teams apparently aren't viable in OU anymore.
drizzle is banned in uu and below

i don't know much about ou but from what i can tell rain is still good but not quite used enough for politoed to be ou, and since drizzle is banned in uu and below it fell to pu (where water absorb politoed is quite good)
In ou its only viable because of the auto rain in everyother aspect its outclassed.

What does Audino have over Lickilicky besides Regenerator? I mean it's obviously an awesome ability, especially for a Wish-passer, but is that the only reason Audino is A+ rank in the Viability Rankings thread while Lickilicky is all the way in C-?

Raiza

World Defender
What does Audino have over Lickilicky besides Regenerator? I mean it's obviously an awesome ability, especially for a Wish-passer, but is that the only reason Audino is A+ rank in the Viability Rankings thread while Lickilicky is all the way in C-?
Yes, basically. Regenerator alone is so good that makes Audino worth using over Lickilicky in almost every situation, since it allows Audino to become a way better pivot, while not being totally dependant on Wish for recovery, and a lot less susceptible to offensive pressure. Lickilicky isn't necessarily bad, but because Audino performs wall sets better, Lickilicky's only niche is to run gimmicky offensive sets that are not that great, having a C- viability in our tier at the moment, especially after Bouffalant dropped, and because Audino is still able to run tank-ish sets with access to also moves such as Healing Wish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)