Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer

Skarmory is a very good counter being able to Whirlwind it out and taking only around 50% from a +2 ExtremeSpeed with 252HP/0 Def and a Careful nature. As for the second part, I don't know, sorry.
To follow up on this:

* Scizor can do some good damage with Superpower (~80%).
* Wobbuffet survives a +2 hit and OHKOs with Counter.
* Defensive Mewtwo will always survive a +2 ES and can Will-O-Wisp it.
* Defensive Groudon is never 2HKOd and can stop it with Roar or Toxic.
* Only the Normal SDer can really sweep with ES at +2, so Ghost-types can check it.

@Electro Gypsy: There's always the possibility of Arceus running Thunder to kill Skarmory in the rain.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Scizor loses to Recover. Defensive Groudon needs Toxic if it's the last poke, so does Skarmory, no Ghost-types actually beat it because all of them are slower.

Other than that, yeah.

Scizor loses to Recover. Defensive Groudon needs Toxic if it's the last poke, so does Skarmory, no Ghost-types actually beat it because all of them are slower.

Other than that, yeah.
In the last-poke scenario, yeah. Actually, Giratina and Ghost Arceus (speed tie) can burn it, so that's kind of a win. Also, using Recover forces Arceus to rely on two moves for coverage, making it much easier to wall.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can also phaze out Arceus with Roar/Whirlwind, from Groudon, Lugia, and while it's a crappy set in general, you can bring in Salamence, Intimidate it and then phaze it out.

ES arceus ev spread

what should I use... Pokelab won't let me use the 100 in everything one... and I can't find other documentation on it.

If I choose to use a Deoxys-A anti-lead, should it carry Shadow Ball/Grass Knot/E-Speed/Psycho Boost? Or should I use Ice Beam over Grass Knot?
Also, Hasty or Mild?

what should I use... Pokelab won't let me use the 100 in everything one... and I can't find other documentation on it.
100 HP/100 Atk/100 Def/10 SpAtk/100 SpDef/100 Spe gives you 100 in all of the important stats and gets you to the 510 maximum. I'm not certain Pokelab lets you even use Arceus because I've never played on it.

If I choose to use a Deoxys-A anti-lead, should it carry Shadow Ball/Grass Knot/E-Speed/Psycho Boost? Or should I use Ice Beam over Grass Knot?
Also, Hasty or Mild?
Shadow Ball/Grass Knot/Extremespeed/Ice Beam would probably be best. Psychic offers terrible coverage in Ubers and probably won't net you any KOs that your other moves won't. You should use Hasty because it allows you to outrun Modest Scarf Kyogre and hit it with Grass Knot before it kills you. If you're worried about Steel-types like Dialga, you could run SuperPower over one of those moves, as Steel types wall you currently.

100 HP/100 Atk/100 Def/10 SpAtk/100 SpDef/100 Spe gives you 100 in all of the important stats and gets you to the 510 maximum. I'm not certain Pokelab lets you even use Arceus because I've never played on it.
Pokelab is letting me use it and also it seems letting me use whatever stat distribution I want... in light of that, what should an extremekiller arceus have for its EVs?

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pokelab is letting me use it and also it seems letting me use whatever stat distribution I want... in light of that, what should an extremekiller arceus have for its EVs?
Highly open to "what you want it to do". You could probably invest in bulk so you survive X hit, or you could invest in Speed to outspeed X. That probably didn't help much, but it was to make sure you keep in mind there are many spreads possible other than the one I'm going to suggest. I suggest a spread of 240 HP / 140 Atk / 128 Spe with an Adamant nature. This spread allows you to outspeed base 90 Speed Pokemon with 4 EVs into Speed, while providing considerable bulk and power. Although please keep in mind that this spread cannot legally be used in generation 4, and that PL will be recitified of this mistake as soon as the (very busy) programmers have the chance.

edit: At the post below me, I just picked a random set in the damage calculator and forgot all about Speed, oops!

Then you'd probably want to go with 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def and Adamant if you want more bulk or 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe with Jolly if you want more Speed. Keep in mind that your main STAB has priority so you should use max speed so you can hit fast Pokemon that resist Extremespeed with your other attacks.

Edit: firecape, Arceus can outspeed Base 90 Pokemon with 4 EVs even with no Speed investment. Your spread allows Arceus to outspeed any Base 90 Pokemon with max Speed and a boosting nature and any Pokemon that just barely outspeed those. The best use for that speed seems to be outspeeding max speed Dialga and Giratina-O, since other Base 90's like Kyogre and Groudon are hit neutrally by Extremespeed.

What do you think about running an extremekiller arceus as lead? A lot of other leads can't seem to stop it from getting a couple SDs, and with life-orb, I usually seem to get a couple Pokemon out of the way before it dies (or occasionally a sweep)

The nature and the EVs for ExtremeKiller has been an issue I've been testing out for the past month (close rofl) in this Korean league since they allow it and to be honest, I am leaning towards adamant over jolly. I've done calculations on every single set on UBER pokemons (well with smogon damage calc rofl so it didn't take too long) and with jolly you do lose some (not too many but some) power. However, with spikes or so you don't lose any important OHKOs (or two I guess) but really the important thing about arceus is that with adamant it OHKOs many things/sets WITHOUT SR/spikes/tspikes. Also, the someone has said he'd try to outspeed terakion with jolly nature but I wouldn't (I won't mention his name) and many...including myself would invest enough speed to outspeed base 90s with +speed nature with adamant just to beat dialga and Giratina/giratina-o. Well that's my input lol

What do you think about running an extremekiller arceus as lead? A lot of other leads can't seem to stop it from getting a couple SDs, and with life-orb, I usually seem to get a couple Pokemon out of the way before it dies (or occasionally a sweep)
That could work though with all honesty I wouldn't use that unless I'm trying to surprise the opponent and give them the WTFUXOR faces. I would use bulky arceus with adamant nature and stealth rock with extremespeed though.

Arceus@mmmmmmm silk scarf/leftovers
adamant nature
252hp/252atk/6spe (this is where flexibility comes into play but really I don't see any point in speed)
~stealth rock
~extremespeed
~shadow claw (giratina leads suck)
~recover/t-wave/etc/etc/etc

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
What thread should I go to if I'd like to nominate a pokemon for ubers?? I'm not going to argue it here, but celebi is definitely broken in OU and something has to be done about it.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
I suppose the suggestion box if anything, but I'd have to caution that Celebi for Ubers is probably a lost cause. Partly because it just isn't used that much, but also because with gen 5 arriving, I can't see every stopping to test Celebi, who really isn't a problem for most teams.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What thread should I go to if I'd like to nominate a pokemon for ubers?? I'm not going to argue it here, but celebi is definitely broken in OU and something has to be done about it.
If you made a very, very reasonable post in the main Stark Mountain forum, with very extensive logic and reasoning, people might listen to you. However, I'm going to be frank here, most of us don't think Celebi is broken, and there isn't much that suggests that it should be (Apart from maybe Nasty Plot, but no-one playing Shoddy has been able to experience that yet). This is not mentioning that everyone is cooing over Gen 5 at the moment to care.

What is a good way to stop double dancing Groudon? Many times, I see Groudon switching in, setting up Rock Polish. At this point, I'm forced to go to one of my walls, since I run a defensive team, allowing him to get a Swords Dance. Following this, Groudon proceeds to OHKO the rest of my team. I know that Shaymin-S and Mewtwo outspeed with a Scarf, but they don't really fit on my team.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
What is a good way to stop double dancing Groudon? Many times, I see Groudon switching in, setting up Rock Polish. At this point, I'm forced to go to one of my walls, since I run a defensive team, allowing him to get a Swords Dance. Following this, Groudon proceeds to OHKO the rest of my team. I know that Shaymin-S and Mewtwo outspeed with a Scarf, but they don't really fit on my team.
Skarmory works nicely. It can take all of its attacks baring Stone Edge with ease. You can still survive 1 Stone Edge and proceed to Whirlwind it out, though.

Vs. Physically defensive: 59.3% - 70.1%
Vs. Specially defensive: 77.2% - 91%

Beyond Skamory, there isn't a whole lot out there that can deal with double-dancing Groudon once its at +2 Attack and Speed.

Hey guys, i started plaing ubers about two weeks ago and since then have learned a lot about the tier. I have made plenty of teams and am currently trying to get a spot on the leader board with a team i have spent a lot of time and thought creating.

My team however has a glaring weakness once it sets up: Rock Polish Groudon. Groudon has a very difficult time setting up on my team, only being able to set up on 1 move from my choice scarfer. However, once it sets up its game and im tryign to figure out a way to finally be able to counter this monster.

On pokemon online i can change the team to use a groudon of myself along with an extreme killer Arceus to kill rp groudon. However, this is not an option on shoddy battle.

Does anyone have any general Groudon counters for suggestion? My team has a completely open last slot so any ideas on how to counter a groudon while it sets up/ while it has already gotten rockpolish down will be greatly appreciated.

I have searched many areas on smogon to get a feel for good counters but i would like the opinion of players that are probably more experienced then me at ubers.

Thank you for your time =D.
If you're on the leaderboard, I'm assuming that you have a Kyogre. Yes? Good. How about a Bulky CM Manaphy? It'll handle that RP Groudon fine rain or shine, doing some damage with Ice Beam/Grass Knot in the latter. Also, if you're RP Groudon weak, nothing solves that like Priority and lots of it. Shadow Sneak O-Tina, ES Ray, BP Scizor, whatever.

I'm wondering what was the precise reason for making Salemence a Uber and more importantly can it even do anything in a Uber environment?

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm wondering what was the precise reason for making Salemence a Uber and more importantly can it even do anything in a Uber environment?
I'm not going to answer the first part of your question mostly to avoid a huge argument.

However, a Pokémon's performance in the Uber envrionment has no influence in deciding wether a Pokémon should be deemed as Uber or not.

They seem to pair up with really well with Groudon and Kyogre respectively and their abilities imply that they'll boost the power of Fire and Electric respectively(Turbo Blaze and Tera Voltage) so they should make really good lures for the opposing weather to weaken the Fire STAB and halve the accuracy of Thunder(assuming it gets a Dragon signature move and is Specially based).
I saw the move sets and stats and the electric one is a predominately physical pokemon while the other is special and their signature moves are electric physical and fire special respectively how will that plat in (also the third one is ice dragon and seemes to be designed for a mixed set... Also alot of regular pokemon have uber level stats and likely will be joining the tier (atk 147 speed 98 stab outrage anyone?)

I'm not going to answer the first part of your question mostly to avoid a huge argument.

However, a Pokémon's performance in the Uber envrionment has no influence in deciding wether a Pokémon should be deemed as Uber or not.
I know that but I have always loved salemence becuse he looks so cool and it seems like all the dragons are heading for the uber tier... I just can't help feel as if there is some disrespect towards my favorite type...(Is Flygon and Altaria all that's left or is dragonite still around?)
Still I want to know why the change was made in order to determine potential outcomes.

Should Infernape really be an option in the ubers tier as it will almost always be OHKO'd by even a neutral hitting move as the majority of ubers have very strong attacking stats and infernape is frail of a sorts.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, I can't see why you would bring him in on somethin that would kill.
Also He's usually functioning as a lead, in which case he has a focus sash and U-Turn, or sweeping, where he wont be taking any hits if played correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)