Walrus atomicwalrus

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In 24th
Aladyyn
Protest the Hero - Tapestry

You sent me "As someone who doesn't usually pay much attention to lyrics, this was hard... Hopefully not too screamy." which made me a little nervous about listening to this song. I looked up the lyrics and I don't think they are /that/ nonsense tho they do have some weirdness I'll admit. The screaming isn't as bad as I thought it would be, and the guitar is periodically interesting, but the song is pretty long and kind of boring. This just isn't really my thing I guess.

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
19th

Da Letter El
Holland, 1945 - Neutral Milk Hotel
I don't know if this is my low quality headphones, but this seems like it might just have some of its instrumentals for the sake of having more sound which I don't really like. This song just never really manages to grab my attention, though I will admit the trumpets (I think trumpets? w/e brass instrument it is) is extremely pleasant when it actually plays.

atomicllamas

13th

KnightsofCydonia
Alien Days - MGMT
MGMT is a band I used to listen to a lot but most of it was pre the MGMT album, so its kinda cool to hear the stuff I never bothered to listen to. I don't really like this as much as the stuff off of Oracular Spectacular or Congratulations but its got a really nice vibe to it. Lyrics are also definitely nonsense.

atomicllamas

11th

Sam
Oh Comely - Neutral Milk Hotel
Starts off pretty nice, I like the guitar, better than the other NMH song in this cat so far. Still pissed at the 8 minute song last minute submit but w/e -__-. Some of these lyrics are kinda funny, I don't think thats the point tho. Trumpets / brass section adds a lot to this. Overall its pretty relaxing, but not particularly outstanding.

atomicllamas

9th

Rodan
Loser - Beck
I enjoy Beck. Loser is a really good submission to this cat (as is any beck really), I really like the laid back vibe of this song, and how his voice sounds backed by the guitar line. Not too much to say other than classic beck is ever so slightly better than new beck.

atomicllamas

7th

Isa
Frou-Frou Foxes in Midsummer Fires - Cocteau Twins
Hey this is already much better than your last submit, haven't heard this band before but I feel like its almost similar to Imogen Heap or Frou Frou but maybe a little more rock than pop. Its certainly nice to listen to, and the title alone makes 0 sense which is p neat (the lyrics are even worse .-.). Oh and the voice kinda reminds me of those 90s folk-pop singers like The Cranberries or Sinead O'Connor which is a compliment for sure.

atomicllamas

2 tied for 5th place

Myzozoa
Sheela-na-gig - PJ Harvey
This song is decently interesting, usually not a fan of live music on youtube, but this manages to not have the same issues that other live music recordings does (ie the sound mix isn't garbage). The notes she hits when singing "sheela-na-gig" are so right.
Steven Snype
Bicycle Race - Queen
I don't know if this song doesn't make sense, dudes just saying he wants to bike? I guess it does seem like a weird self interrogation so I'll let it slide. This song is catchy as shit, and queen's vocals are always on point. Just an overall great song even though it is borderline on the cat.

atomicllamas

2nd

PDC
Persephone - Cocteau Twins
Starts out differently than the other Cocteau Twins song (this is the 4th one I'm grading for those at home). The drums add a lot to be honest, balances out the airy feel of the other songs, I also like this song because it has the most emotion in the voice (well the most sad emotion which I like :thinking:). Definitely something I'd look more into because of this song.

atomicllamas

1st

9.5* (was 9.1 but updated due to frequent listening)
Mizuhime
Flesh without Blood/Life in the Vivid Dream - Grimes
A band I've heard of that I haven't heard before, I feel like its kind of hard to be introduced with a 7 minute song. I'm half way through minute 4 and its managed to not bore me so far so that's p much half the battle. Oh and now the music is changing o_O. oooh, I like this more. This song manages to stay intriguing for an entire 7 minutes and always has a nice instrumental going in the background, I'll definitely have to listen to more of Grimes' stuff. This might actually technically be 2 songs but I'll let it slide cause the video is listed as 1 and its good /me shrugs.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

atomicllamas

so I had 2 late submitters to cats 1 and 2 so I'll count 'em but dock 10% from each of their points and the scores are as follows

Majorbowman

cat 1
6.7 (was 7.5 before penalty)
Paper Planes - MIA
Not really all that ratchet. This is however one of the catchiest songs of all time, I really like the woodwind instrumental in the background that seems to last the entire song. Good beat, good vocals, and solid lyrics.
cat 2
6.7 (was 7.4 before penalty)
DADDY - PSY
The second PSY song I've ever heard, the music video is incredible. Song is catchy and way different from the rest of the submissions for this category, which I think is pretty neat. I think I'd like this song more if I graded it drunk cause it gets a little long sober, but I would probably be dancing my ass off to this song if I were drinking.

Bughouse

cat 1
8.2 (was 9.1 before penalty)
My Neck, My Back - Khia Shamone
lmao this song is incredible. First of all it somehow manages to be more ratchet than Anaconda lyric wise which I did not think was possible. It also has a ratchet af music video, though in a much different definition of ratchet. This song is not as good as some of the other submissions in a pure musicallity kind of judgement, but this song makes up for it by being incredibly dancey and the best kind of raunchy.
cat 2
8.2 (was 9.1 before penalty)
the moment I said it - Imogen Heap
This is probably my favorite Imogen Heap song. I'm not sure if it was in a description earlier or just to PDC on discord but I complimented a band for sounding like Imogen Heap vocal wise so this is a really good submit for me. My favorite part about this song is how dramatically it builds and then falls at the end. Ugh how can a human sing this good .-.
here is the updated spreadsheet with these included, orange indicates a score after a penalty was applied, songs that are submitted to me after I finish presenting a cat will be penalized as such.

https://imgur.com/a/WOXqq

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)