Bad Luck You've Had So Far

After hatching 20 Abra (why can they even have Inner Focus?), I was finally able to start breeding! I figured the first step was to get a decent Ditto, so I got a Recycle Munchlax, a Switcheroo Hypno, and a Kommo-o, and started the chain.

At around 30, the Ditto somehow ran out of PP for Recycle without restoring it using its Leppa Berry. It somehow spammed the moves other than Recycle in a suspiciously intentional manner. It then used Struggle, KO'ing itself. But of course, with Pokémon, it can always get worse...

I went to the Move Deleter and removed every move on Munchlax except Recycle. My next chain was able to get to over 50 before I had to go to sleep, the omnipresent blue light in the background.

Somehow, my 3DS completely ran out of power while I was asleep. I lost about half an hour of progress because my 3DS didn't tell me to plug it in. What a dumb thing to happen.
To be fair, it was your fault for having moves other than Recycle on the Munchlax, and you only need to get to a chain of 30 (IIRC) for guaranteed 4 IVs, getting any higher is only for shiny chances and not more IVs.

After finding out that all of the shiny Kantoese Pokémon that I have been stockpiling for competitive purposes apparently aren't eligible (there wasn't any mention in the rules of using past generation Pokémon or shinies) I was stuck with pretty much in game team that weren't also shines, and a lone Clefable. That REALLY frustrated me, because I was still in the middle of my playthrough, and was nowhere near ready to start breeding. I felt completely neutered. And really, I didn't even have a dream team here, just something to give me a fighting chance.

I managed to run into one team that was susceptible to Cosmic Power/Stored Power, and figured I'd get at least one win. Considering the shitty team I had, I figured I could live with that.

I had two Cosmic Powers up, and survived two Thunders from the opposing Jolteon, when I misclicked for a third Cosmic Power, instead of Moonlight. Before I had time to slap myself for such a costly mistake, Jolteon managed to land a critical hit with Thunderbolt. At this point, I was enraged at my opponents luck. Sure, I managed to take out that damned Jolteon, but after that, I lost big. His Arcanine was faster than my Gyarados, so there was that too. But I can't help but think I could have done better if the damned game had just let me use the team I wanted. For example, Dragonite would have been an interesting matchup, while, failing that, Gengar could have revenge killed.

I am now considering if it is just worth continuing embarrassing performances like this for a pair of Mega Stones, or if I should begin breeding anything I can in my Alpha Sapphire version as soon as I know what I can use in the next competition, which will no doubt cut deeply into my Sun Version time, especially as I cut play time down in exchange for other pursuits. Though honestly, I don't like speed breeding. I don't feel as close to my new Pokémon.

And while I do understand why they want to keep out any Pokedit/Hex Pokémon, it seems that it probably failed to do so completely, since a shiny Starmie got through. It's just so frustrating, because at that point, it was the best I could do. It's unfair to veteran players like me who are taking their time enjoying a new game, and reduced me to fodder. I had no other choices: it was Pokedit/Hex at that point + my purebred Clefable, or Pokémon that quite honestly weren't that good. My internet also seems to not like battles on Sun too much, because it kept on cutting out. I only completed one battle, which is just as well.

I might feel better once I get my Mega Stones, because this is the only reason I wasted an hour and a half preparing everything, only for it to fall apart at the last minute.

Edit: The two disconnects didn't count. Thankfully, someone else gave me a Steelixite.

Last edited:
i just got fucked over by the the biggest blackest dildo in the history of battle tree, tower whatever the fuck aids.
i cant explain how pissed off i am because upon battle number 82 in the battle tree i faced a pokemon which i needed to strategise on. so i closed my ds screen and looked up the moveset of the pokemon so i knew what i was dealing with. i thought to myself, ok, i think i know exactly what to do.
so when i planned exactly the moves i was going to make i opened up my ds i saw

"game cart removed please use home button" or some bs

yep...... gone. lovely..... cheers mate....... couldnt have gone better.

81 battles down the shitter and i was going so strong.
battle aids gods: "hey we cant stop him so lets just shut down his ds instead?"
worst part is 0.000000% of it is my fault i never slam my ds shut, i never FUCKING touched the game cart, hell i didnt even sneeze on it. literally for no apparent reason countless hours of struggling to strategise on how to defeat the AI might as well have been spent watching grass grow.
as you can imagine im fuming since my dream of making atleast 200 straight wins is gone. im not stupid enough to fuck with this aids anymore. ive had enough, never again with these frontier challenges because we all know its 99.9% luck and when you seem to be unstoppable it always feels like someone wants to screw you over so badly with an onslaught of aids and bad luck. if somebody has the berries you get for 100 and 200 win streaks and could give me just 1 i would feel a lil better.
long story short. fuck off pokemon.

feelsgoodman.

I have had bad luck in the battle tree. Why does scarf guillotine pinser even exist? (Of course I died because it killed (mega) salamence)

I have had bad luck in the battle tree. Why does scarf guillotine pinser even exist? (Of course I died because it killed (mega) salamence)
aegislash and mega mence eats OHKO users for breakfast. yeah im lookin at you too fissure and sheer cold walrein

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Assuming spin off games also count I've got this one:
On the last floor of the Temporal Tower: all revive seeds have gone plain, no orbs left and HP is below half... then it happens... "It's a monster house!"

I'd also post about my most recent adventures at the Battle Tree but that horse has been beaten to death already.

Just doing my X Nuzlocke run a few minutes ago, I'm breezing through Lysandre Labs. No deaths and not much of a challenge. Then I get to Xerosic.

His Crobat nearly killed off my Lapras thanks to it thawing out from an Ice Beam freeze on the very next turn, but Lapras lived with 6 HP and then killed it with a second Ice Beam.

Then his Malamar comes in. My team has issues handling Dark-types, so I sent in Hippowdon since she was the best option I had. After taking a couple Superpower hits, I switch Hippowdon out to Gourgeist because I'm predicting it'll go for SP again and needed a free switch.

Malamar is in critical red health thanks to two Earthquakes from Hippowdon. The sand is up. Gourgeist has Shadow Sneak and is at full health. Everything should go smoothly, right?

Wrong. Low damage roll from Shadow Sneak leaves the Malamar alive and it immediately one-shots my Gourgeist with a +2 Payback to the face.

Sorry, Black 2. Nothing I could've done for you. Shitty way to go.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
In the Battle Tree I tested Heavy Slam on my Hariyama, but decided I didn't like it. First Battle after getting rid of Heavy Slam, my opponent had a Carbink. It made me lose.

Edit: I'd rather edit a 6 month old that may never get read again than double post to necro a thread, but I was playing Pokemon Blue Kaizo when this happened.

Turn 1: Flamethower Misses and the opponent Paralyses me with Body Slam
Turn 2: Paralysis
Turn 3: Flamethrower Miss
Turn 4: Paralysis Rage Softreset

The opponent hadn't used Double team. There's just a glitch that makes 100 Accuracy Moves 1/256 of the time. The odds of two misses in a row (now counting the Paralysis turns) is 8 Times Less Likely than a Gen 2-5 Shiny! -_-

Last edited:
100-ish eggs burned and still no adamant slaky in pokemon emerald.

it's a 1/25 chance for adam. should of had 4 adams by now but no, instead half of them are lax.

L A X

Do you mean Synchronize?

100-ish eggs burned and still no adamant slaky in pokemon emerald.

it's a 1/25 chance for adam. should of had 4 adams by now but no, instead half of them are lax.

L A X
Probability of missing a 4% chance 100 times in a row is about 2% (picture a critical hit followed by an OHKO move hit).

Last edited:
Or to put it in more heartbreaking terms, you have a 98.312% chance to have at least one Pokémon with the nature you want out of 100 eggs.
Damn, now that I think about it, if all those "1 in 4096 Battle facility loss" videos had been titled something like "I had a 99.98% chance to win here..." instead, that does make them sound much more heartbreaking.

I think vulpix hates me.

So I was shiny hunting in let's go eevee for a shiny vulpix, I thought I would mention this story since I caught my shiny vulpix today on the 4th try.

1st try. It ran away the first turn it escaped from the poke-ball, despite the ring being bright green.
2nd try. I saw the shiny vulpix, it was on the other side of the fence, and I had to run all the way around only to see that it dissapeared
3rd try. The shiny vulpix ran away from me again, as I ran out of ultra balls from the chaining.
4th try. I FINALLY caught it! Modest nature too.

I've been replaying Platinum and made it to the area around Solaceon town. I thought I would try out Lost Tower even though I hadn't gotten Defog yet. During one battle (with a Pichu I think?), through a combination of fog, confusion, and paralysis, my Monferno (Rory) wasn't able to attack for 10 straight turns.
I just attempted to calculate the probability of this, and it looks like this wasn't actually bad luck. It just felt awful.

Anyone care to check the math? Looks like that sequence was just about as believable as hitting with one Blizzard. So here's some fake bad luck that felt like awful luck since it never happens lol.

I've been replaying Platinum and made it to the area around Solaceon town. I thought I would try out Lost Tower even though I hadn't gotten Defog yet. During one battle (with a Pichu I think?), through a combination of fog, confusion, and paralysis, my Monferno (Rory) wasn't able to attack for 10 straight turns.
I just attempted to calculate the probability of this, and it looks like this wasn't actually bad luck. It just felt awful.
View attachment 179613
Anyone care to check the math? Looks like that sequence was just about as believable as hitting with one Blizzard. So here's some fake bad luck that felt like awful luck since it never happens lol.
Assuming you were using a 100% Accuracy move:

75% chance of not being Paralyzed
AND 50% chance of not hitting itself due to confusion
AND 60% chance of hitting under dense fog
------------------------------------------------------------
22.5% chance of a successful hit

Assuming you were using a 100% Accuracy move:

75% chance of not being Paralyzed
AND 50% chance of not hitting itself due to confusion
AND 60% chance of hitting under dense fog
------------------------------------------------------------
22.5% chance of a successful hit
I was using Mach Punch, so yes, 100% accuracy. I realized with your response that yes, in one turn, I had a 22.5% chance to hit and 67.5% chance to not hit the opponent. -- edit: lol 90% =/= 100% *facepalm*

We didn't account for 10 straight turns of this yet.
.675 ^ 10 ~ .02 -- edit: had * instead of ^
So I had about a 2% chance of not hitting for 10 turns. So it was pretty bad luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)