Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Any question that doesn't belong in a thread, ask here. Please try to Google your questions first.

You can ask for mons if you need them for the in-game ladder, but check out the Wi-Fi forum first. Offering hacked Pokemon is not allowed.

People giving Battle Spot Pokemon for free:
EnGarde has graciously offered to provide cloned, battle-ready staples. Please post in this thread or in EnGarde's trade thread.

Common tidbits:
When running damage calculations, make sure to set the level to 50. In the middle of the damage calculations interface, there is an option for Singles | Doubles - select Doubles if you are doing damage calculations for Doubles or Triples.

What is Kalos-born (KB) and the blue pentagon? This means the Pokemon was caught, bred, or received from XY and was not transferred from a previous generation game. For Battle Spot purposes, Gamefreak has in the past mandated that only KB Pokemon are allowed in certain tournaments. Among other things, the KB pentagon disallows the use of move tutors from previous generations or nonbreedable Pokemon that cannot be caught in XY such as Terrakion or Azelf.

What is the difference between Kalosdex and KB? Pokemon not present in the Kalosdex can still be KB if they were bred or caught in Pokemon X & Y. For example, Frillish does not appear anywhere in X or Y, but one that was bred in these games will still be considered KB.

PGL website (usage statistics are under "Rated Battles")
Battle Spot ban list
Battle Spot clauses
Breeding calculator
EV training guide

Yay this forum finally has one :B

Last edited:

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I can’t tell you guys how happy I am to see this! :D

Congrats to Age of Kings and Hulavuta, and I’ll do my best to be an up-beat regular contributor here.

So, let’s kick this thing off with some questions:

(1) Hi! How are you all doing today? :)

(2) I suck at doing calcs for EV spreads (I usually just stick with 252/252 focused on whatever the main “purpose” of the pokemon is, or match spreads I read about in team reports), but I want to get better at doing this for myself (so I’m not juust missing KO’s or needlessly getting out-sped by stuff). What should I be looking for when designing custom EV spreads for my pokemon? Any good resources / articles you guys would recommend?

(3) What’s the easiest way to adjust the damage on Pokemon Showdown’s damage calculator to account for spread moves? i.e. To measure the true amount of damage a salamence with rock slide will do to…say, talonflame, when accounting for hitting 2 targets. Does damage output change further when hitting 3 targets, such as in triple battles?

(4) Apologies for the ugly logistics question, but would it be beneficial to mark the OP here with the wifi-relevant rule of no hacked pokemon? Sometimes people who come here don’t always check the main rules thread first, lol.

Also, I’d like to officially reach out and offer services as a cloner (via gen 6 powersaves) and to offer a handful of (cloned) battle ready pokemon (the standards: garchomp, rotom-h, rotom-w, kangaskhan, VGC-style special salamence, uh…more that I’m currently forgetting…). I’ll probably edit my trade thread over in wifi to list what I have on-hand right now. I’ll be giving nicknames chosen by me to every pokemon distributed through this thread or through this initiative (once I decide what I want to nickname them, lol). Currently everything I’m offering is Kalos-born, so should be legal in most formats.

That actually might also be worth adding to the OP: Kalos-born/caught with the blue pentagon is an important distinction often referenced in official battle spot rules, and are usually the only things legal in battle spot competitions (though of course not always). Describing how to check might be useful to new people here.

(5) …

(6) Profit?

1 Hey im fine! Altough i lose too much today on battle spot. I, thinking of substituting my mandibuzz for hippowdon therefore, cause most of my problems are mega mawile, bisharp, and tyranitar.

2 im not very good at ev spreading myself but i did learn from his thread on nuggetbridge, altough its a bit old http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/making-good-ev-spreads/. Its actually saying that you first need some goals for your pokemon, as in 'survive 2 earthquakes from garchomp, and then you do the maths so that you just survive it, with so few ev's as possible so you have more ev's for other stats.

3 I dont play triples and i dont know whether the damage is different than at singles so sorry!

4 Yeah, it can be useful for newcomers to battlespot.

And have you btw a hippowdon left in your clonebox? I could really use it.

(3) What’s the easiest way to adjust the damage on Pokemon Showdown’s damage calculator to account for spread moves? i.e. To measure the true amount of damage a salamence with rock slide will do to…say, talonflame, when accounting for hitting 2 targets. Does damage output change further when hitting 3 targets, such as in triple battles?
Showdown's calculator has a button in the middle with all the field-effect options that you can set to either "Singles" or "Doubles." "Doubles" will calculate spread moves with their damage reduction. Though keep in mind that if the other Pokemon has been knocked out the move will strike with its full power.

For triples, this is Bulbapedia's explanation:
Moves that hit multiple Pokémon will have their damage reduced by 25%, unless all other Pokémon have fainted at that point, just like in a Double Battle.

Also, speaking of Showdown's calculator, just a general FYI for everyone: Make sure you're setting both Pokemon to level 50 instead of 100, as that can somewhat change the calculations.

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I can’t tell you guys how happy I am to see this! :D

Congrats to Age of Kings and Hulavuta, and I’ll do my best to be an up-beat regular contributor here.

So, let’s kick this thing off with some questions:

(1) Hi! How are you all doing today? :)

(2) I suck at doing calcs for EV spreads (I usually just stick with 252/252 focused on whatever the main “purpose” of the pokemon is, or match spreads I read about in team reports), but I want to get better at doing this for myself (so I’m not juust missing KO’s or needlessly getting out-sped by stuff). What should I be looking for when designing custom EV spreads for my pokemon? Any good resources / articles you guys would recommend?
1. Doing fine, very busy renovating the forums though.

2. The Nugget Bridge article is good but can be slightly vague. Sometimes it is not possible to accomplish the goals you set due to EVs being finite. I first run some preliminary calcs for my mon vs common mons to get a good idea of what the big picture is, and then I set goals.

(4) Apologies for the ugly logistics question, but would it be beneficial to mark the OP here with the wifi-relevant rule of no hacked pokemon? Sometimes people who come here don’t always check the main rules thread first, lol.

Also, I’d like to officially reach out and offer services as a cloner (via gen 6 powersaves) and to offer a handful of (cloned) battle ready pokemon (the standards: garchomp, rotom-h, rotom-w, kangaskhan, VGC-style special salamence, uh…more that I’m currently forgetting…). I’ll probably edit my trade thread over in wifi to list what I have on-hand right now. I’ll be giving nicknames chosen by me to every pokemon distributed through this thread or through this initiative (once I decide what I want to nickname them, lol). Currently everything I’m offering is Kalos-born, so should be legal in most formats.

That actually might also be worth adding to the OP: Kalos-born/caught with the blue pentagon is an important distinction often referenced in official battle spot rules, and are usually the only things legal in battle spot competitions (though of course not always). Describing how to check might be useful to new people here.
Done.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Just a head's up: I'll be going on vacation from the 16th until the the 23rd, and I won't be able to clone or trade during that time. I'll be happy to help after I get back, though! :)

EnGarde's Battle Spot Battle Ready Pokemon Distribution

As a part of the revitalization effort going on at Smogon's Battle Spot forum, I'm currently offering clones of Battle Spot Battle Ready pokemon to help new and old users alike get started in the fun of Battle Spot competition!

Generally, these pokemon will:
  1. Be Kalos-born (have the blue pentagon); exceptions will be noted
  2. Be 5IV flawless with the correct nature + ability for competitive play
  3. Be level 50 or higher
  4. Arrive fully evolved, EV trained, and with a competitive moveset.
  5. Pokemon not bred by me will have their OT/ID listed. If a pokemon does not have OT/ID listed (and I didn't accidentally make a mistake), then it was raised by me (OT Lark, ID 10537).

Eligibility Requirements

Members requesting pokemon must:
  1. Be a member in good standing. I don't distribute to people on the wifi black-list.
  2. Have a minimum of 10 quality posts made anywhere on Smogon.
  3. Have posted at least one comment in any of the threads in the battle spot forum here.
All pokemon are distributed at my discretion. I reserve the right to refuse requests, even if you meet the eligibility requirements above.

How to request a pokemon

1. Go to GTS.
  2. Deposit a bunnelby (one from Santalune Forest is fine).
  3. Enter the name of the pokemon you want to receive (only ask for pokemon in this post; the rest of this thread is for trading, not giveaway). If the pokemon isn't in your pokedex, scroll down to the bottom of the list and select "What pokemon?" This will let you fill in the pokemon's name. Make sure you spell it correctly!
  4. Enter my username "EnGarde" in the message section.
  5. Deposit the pokemon.
  6. ONLY after you deposit the pokemon, leave a message in this thread requesting the pokemon.
  7. I'll let you know when the pokemon is away, or if further steps are needed.

Rules
  1. Please request 1 pokemon at a time.
  2. Please leave your request in the Battle Spot SQ/SA thread or in my trade thread. Don't PM me.
  3. Only pokemon on this post are being given away. Pokemon in posts below this (the trade shop portion of my thread) are available for trade only, not for giveaway.
  4. Please be patient. I might not always see your request at first, and someone might snipe the trade, in which case you'll need to deposit a second scatterbug.
  5. These pokemon are being offered as NON-REDIS ONLY. You may breed these pokemon and trade the babies, however, you are not allowed to offer or trade the original pokemon themselves, and doing so could put you on the wifi black-list.

Pokemon

Vileplume (M)
Modest 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
Chlorophyll
OT: CAMP
ID: 48780
Egg Moves: Teeter Dance, Ingrain, Synthesis,
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Petal Blizzard
Special thanks CatataFish_6 to for the donation!

Slowbro (F)
Relaxed 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp.Atk
Regenerator
OT: Cacdlash
ID: 13253
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Trick Room

Muk (F)
Relaxed 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Stench
Egg Moves: Shadow Sneak, curse, haze
- Gunk Shot
- Acid Armor
- Shadow Sneak
- Rock Slide

Kangaskhan
Ability: Scrappy > Parental Bond
Jolly 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
31/31/31/31/31/31
- Return
- Power-up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake out
Note: This is a standard jolly kangaskhan, the powerhouse of Battle Spot. Jolly guarantees you'll at least speed-tie all base speed 100 pokemon, a useful quality in an offensive behemoth. Highly recommended for any competitive team. Please note you'll have to maximize this pokemon's friendliness level to increase the power of return.

Ampharos (F)
Timid 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
Static > Mold Breaker
OT: Heather
ID: 47797
Egg Moves: Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Agility
- Dragon Pulse
Special thanks to Pyritie for the donation!

Ampharos (F)
Quiet 252 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def
Static
31.17.31.31.31.00 (Hidden Power Ice)
OT: Japanese (P shape, smiley face)
ID: 05773
Egg Moves: After You, agility, eerie impulse, electric terrain
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Dragon Pulse
- Power Gem

Azumarill (M)
Adamant 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed
Huge Power
Egg Moves: Aqua Jet, Belly Drum, Superpower
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Super Power

Quagsire (F)
Relaxed 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Def
Unaware
Egg Moves: Encore, Counter, Stockpile
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stockpile
- Recover

Scizor
Ability: Technician
Adamant 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def
31/31/31/x/31/31
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Protect / Coverage move
Note: I bred and raised this a really long time ago and haven't really used him much since. He's KB, so unfortunately he misses out on a lot of great attacks, including bug bite. Sill, he'd make a great candidate for a choice band set (if you replace protect with a coverage move), especially if your team has a problem with fairy types. This was bred before I started focusing on egg moves, so none of those here either.

Porygon2
Modest 252 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Speed
Download
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

Tyranitar
Ability: Sand Stream > Sand Stream
Adamant 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
31/31/31/x/31/31
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Earthquake / Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
Egg Moves Pursuit, Stealth Rock, Dragon Dance, and Outrage are available (go to move reminder to relearn them).
Note: This tyranitar is perfect for running a ddance mega ttar set. After a single dragon dance, it can outspeed and OHKO a large portion of the metagame, though it does require prediction and some team support to work to its best ability.

Ludicolo (M)
Calm 252 HP / 4 Sp.Atk / 252 Sp.Def
Rain Dish
Egg Moves: Giga Drain, Leech Seed, Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Gardevoir
Ability: Trace
Modest 86 HP / 196 Sp.Atk / 228 Speed (Eggy Emporium's Dragon Slayer Spread)
31/x/31/31/31/31
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball / Other Coverage
Note: This gardevoir is KB, so does not have access to Hyper Voice, and is not recommended for use as Mega Gardevoir. This gardevoir's EV spread is designed to work while holding a choice scarf. If you wish to try him out with a different held item (choice specs, for example), he will need to be re-EV trained. When holding a choice scarf, he outspeeds max speed non-scarfed noivern by 1 point. By putting the rest of the investment in HP, it affords him greater survivability in a metagame filled with powerful physical attackers.

Sableye (M)
Calm 252 HP / 160 Def / 94 Sp.Def / 4 Speed
Prankster
OT: Josh
ID: 25252
Egg Moves: Recover, Trick, Moonlight
- Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Mawile (M)
Brave 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Intimidate
Egg Moves: Ice Fang, Fire Fang
- Iron head
- Rock Slide
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Aggron (F)
Rock Head > Filter
OT: Mertan
ID: 15577
Egg Moves: Head Smash, Stealth Rock, Iron Head
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Autotomize
- Iron Head

Aggron (F)
Careful 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Def
Rock Head
Egg Moves: curse, head smash, iron head
- Heavy slam
- Earthquake

Manectric (F)
Lightning Rod > Intimidate
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Protect

Crawdaunt (M)
Adaptability
OT: Dallan
ID: 49422
Egg Moves: Superpower, Knock Off, Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Dragon Dance

Banette (F)
Adamant 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Frisk
Egg Moves: Destiny Bond, Gunk Shot, Disable, Pursuit
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snatch
- Destiny Bond

Absol (F)
Super Luck > Magic Bounce
Egg Moves: Sucker Punch, Play Rough, Perish Song, Me First
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Megahorn

Salamence
Ability: Intimidate
31/31/31/31/30/31
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Hydro Pump / Dragon Pulse
Egg Moves Hydro Pump, Dragon Pulse, and Dragon Dance are available (go to move reminder to relearn them)
Note: At level 50, there is no stat difference between an uninvested 30 IV and a 31 IV, so this is functionally a flawless 6 IV pokemon. This is a standard special salamence, currently an S-tier ranked pokemon on the VGC side. He works best while holding choice scarf, however he can also viably use a life orb. Stone edge is preferred over rock slide because it can guarantee a KO on talonflame and mega charizard y (even uninvested with an attack reducing nature).

Staraptor (M)
Jolly 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Speed
Intimidate
OT: Paulo
ID: 49706
Egg Moves: Double-Edge, Pursuit, Roost
- Brave Bird
- Final Gambit
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat

Ambipom (F)
Technician
Egg Moves: fake out
- Fake out
- Double Hit
- U-turn
- Thunder wave

Garchomp
Ability: Rough Skin
31/31/31/x/31/31
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head
Note: This is a standard Jolly garchomp for doubles, with "protect" replaced with "iron head" to demonstrate that the egg move is available. Give him a lum berry and he's ready to roll!

Rotom-Heat
Ability: Levitate
Modest 252 HP / 68 Def / 156 Sp.Atk / 12 Sp.Def / 22 Speed (Another Team Report EV Spread)
31/x/31/31/31/31
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Will-o-Wisp
- Protect
Note: The rotom forms are among the most useful all-around bulky attackers/utility pokemon available right now. Rotom-heat is able to fill the niche of bulky fire-type well, with its 4x weakness to ground type moves negated by levitate. It can take on Mega Charizard Y and talonflame and win most of the time. If the current EV spread isn't to your taste (perhaps a more defensive spread will suit you?), you can easily re-EV train this one to fill a variety of different roles. You can also take this pokemon to Sycamore's Lab and change it into rotom-wash if you need that one, however, you'll lose the PP Max that's been applied to overheat.

Rotom-Wash
Modest 252 HP / 144 Def / 86 Sp.Atk / 28 Speed (Another team report EV spread)
31/x/30/31/31/31 (HP Ice)
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp
- Protect
Note: See note on utility of rotom forms above. Rotom-wash boasts only 1 weakness, grass, which is very useful. I was lucky enough to get a rotom with a 30 IV in defense, so after some careful breeding, I was able to get this pokemon with Hidden Power Ice.

Whimsicott (M)
Jolly 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Prankster
Egg Moves: Encore, Switcheroo
- Taunt
- Encore
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tailwind

Hippowdon (F)
Impish 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Speed
Sand Stream
Egg Moves: slack off
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Protect
- Double-Edge

Amoonguss
Ability: Regenerator
Bold 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Speed (Another Team Report EV spread)
31/x/31/31/31/31
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect
Note: Very reliable support pokemon in doubles play. The speed EVs allow Amoonguss to outspeed and spore min speed aegislash. I've used this primarily as redirection support with rocky helmet to help check Mega Kangaskhan, however amoonguss can also use black sludge effectively.

Ferrothorn
Ability: Iron Barbs
Brave 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SDef (Another Team Report EV Spread)
31/31/31/31/31/x (mental note: check what the exact IV of speed is)
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect
Note: (mental note: check for egg moves) This is a fairly standard ferrothorn build for doubles. When holding a lum berry, this ferro can avoid a burn from rotom-w and OHKO it with power whip. Give him a rocky helmet, and he can really punish mega kangaskhan. If your team needs a steel type wall with some offensive potential, this ferrothorn is a pretty solid choice.

Bisharp (M)
Defiant
Egg Moves: Sucker Punch, Psycho Cut
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Substitute

Hydreigon (F)
Levitate
Egg Moves: Dark Pulse, Earth Power
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Greninja (M)
Protean
OT: Martin
ID: 10729
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
31/31/31/31/31/31
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-o-wisp
Note: I've used this pokemon extensively running a choice band set. Play her as a lead to scout, or keep her in the back as a late-game cleaner. Either way, she does her job and she does it well. (No egg moves)

Meowstic-Male
Ability: Prankster
Bold 252 HP / 124 Def / 4 Sp.Atk / 126 Sp.Def / 4 Speed
31/x/31/31/31/31
- Quick Guard
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
Note: This pokemon makes a great dual screener, and quick guard provides a lot of utility. Psychic is there in case your opponent uses taunt. (Another viable moveset for doubles uses the safe-swagger strategy: quick guard / safeguard / swagger / charm. Safeguard protects your team from status, swagger allows you to boost a teammate's attack while not having to worry about confusion thanks to safeguard. Charm is powerful in doubles because there isn't much opportunity for your opponent to switch out and dump the -2 attack drop).

Aegislash (F)
Quiet 252 HP / 182 Sp.Atk / 76 Sp.Def
Stance Change
Egg Moves: Wide Guard, Metal Sound, Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- King’s Shield

Pokemon that have been distributed:

1. PopJJ - Talonflame and Aegislash
  2. Purgatory - Scizor, Mega Manectric, Mega Tyranitar, + X exclusive mega stones
  3. Whiskey Tango - Mega Kangaskhan, Bisharp, Meowstic
  4. GC7 - Garchomp
  5. CatataFish_6 - Mega manectric, amoonguss, rotom-heat

Last edited:
Not sure if I really fit the requirements, but I'd really like a Scizor. I'm one of those poor sods who don't have a Ditto safari, so breeding my own is a hassle I haven't found the time to go through yet.

A Scatterbug requesting a Scizor with your nickname is deposited in the GTS.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Not sure if I really fit the requirements, but I'd really like a Scizor. I'm one of those poor sods who don't have a Ditto safari, so breeding my own is a hassle I haven't found the time to go through yet.

A Scatterbug requesting a Scizor with your nickname is deposited in the GTS.
The scatterbug was sniped. :( You'll need to deposit a second one for me to give you the scizor.

lol, this is the second time this has happened; I think I'll switch to a less trafficked pokemon to make life easier... Let's do bunnelby instead. :)

Also, I believe mostthe3rd is still giving away free 6IV dittos to those who ask (which is better for breeding than a ditto safari IMO). You can look up the details on this giveaway here. :)

My ditto giveaway is still going on (and I don't plan on ending it soon). So if anyone wants a ditto feel free to check it out. Also, fyi the ditto is german so you will have increased shiny chances when breeding with it.

You can find a link in EnGarde's post above or in my signature.

The scatterbug was sniped. :( You'll need to deposit a second one for me to give you the scizor.

lol, this is the second time this has happened; I think I'll switch to a less trafficked pokemon to make life easier... Let's do bunnelby instead. :)

Also, I believe mostthe3rd is still giving away free 6IV dittos to those who ask (which is better for breeding than a ditto safari IMO). You can look up the details on this giveaway here. :)
Hilarious. Bunnelby deposited! Thanks so much! :)

Edit: the bunny got sniped too, wtf. Reuploaded another one.

Last edited:

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
DPL Champion
Hoping this is the place to put this, but erm...Any place where I can learn Battle Spot a bit better, or is anyone willing to take a bit of their time to teach me? At the very least, is there a place where I can find common sets to some mons so I can just get started? Thanks in advance! ^.^

Btw, I don't have X or Y, so I am playing strictly on PS!

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Hoping this is the place to put this, but erm...Any place where I can learn Battle Spot a bit better, or is anyone willing to take a bit of their time to teach me? At the very least, is there a place where I can find common sets to some mons so I can just get started? Thanks in advance! ^.^

Btw, I don't have X or Y, so I am playing strictly on PS!
You're in just the right place! Unfortunately, we don't have solid articles, analyses, etc but we are spearheading a massive overhaul so we can have those resources available!

- If you're seeking to learn about Singles, the 3v3 metagame discussion thread is a good place to start. There is also a Battle Spot singles viability ranking list underway where we discuss what Pokemon are good in the metagame, what sets, etc. that is intended for use for beginners to get a rough idea of what they'll see. There is also an introduction to 3v3 singles but this predates Pokebank so it is very outdated. There are still a few useful tidbits in there, but this will be rewritten at some point.

- If you're seeking to learn about Triples, we are doing a CCAT for it. We are focused on the cart but we also have a few people trying stuff out on the simulator if you want to check it out. We admittedly don't know much about Triples and that's the point; we're making a team so we can get better and learn about Triples as a community. In some ways, even the "veterans" are newbies like you.

- Get it touch with CoolStoryBrobat , I believe he is the moderator for the Battle Spot channel on PS!. There is a Battle Spot Ladder Challenge going on right now for the simulator that you might be interested in. I'm sure they'd love new people to hang out with them and they're friendly to new people from experience.

Even though we have a lot of resources for the cartridge, we welcome anyone interested in Battle Spot to stick around on these forums. We even have a rule encouraging new people to speak up in discussion threads; no lurk more or anything like that. In fact, some of the greatest contributors to this forum I have seen are relatively new to Smogon. Please stick around and if you have any further questions, do not hesitate to post here or contact me!

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
DPL Champion
You're in just the right place! Unfortunately, we don't have solid articles, analyses, etc but we are spearheading a massive overhaul so we can have those resources available!

- If you're seeking to learn about Singles, the 3v3 metagame discussion thread is a good place to start. There is also a Battle Spot singles viability ranking list underway where we discuss what Pokemon are good in the metagame, what sets, etc. that is intended for use for beginners to get a rough idea of what they'll see. There is also an introduction to 3v3 singles but this predates Pokebank so it is very outdated. There are still a few useful tidbits in there, but this will be rewritten at some point.

- If you're seeking to learn about Triples, we are doing a CCAT for it. We are focused on the cart but we also have a few people trying stuff out on the simulator if you want to check it out. We admittedly don't know much about Triples and that's the point; we're making a team so we can get better and learn about Triples as a community. In some ways, even the "veterans" are newbies like you.

- Get it touch with CoolStoryBrobat , I believe he is the moderator for the Battle Spot channel on PS!. There is a Battle Spot Ladder Challenge going on right now for the simulator that you might be interested in. I'm sure they'd love new people to hang out with them and they're friendly to new people from experience.

Even though we have a lot of resources for the cartridge, we welcome anyone interested in Battle Spot to stick around on these forums. We even have a rule encouraging new people to speak up in discussion threads; no lurk more or anything like that. In fact, some of the greatest contributors to this forum I have seen are relatively new to Smogon. Please stick around and if you have any further questions, do not hesitate to post here or contact me!
Hey, thanks for the response Age of Kings! Right now, I'm focusing on Singles, but Doubles and Triples may come in time. I'll look at the threads you posted, they seem like a great help, and I've just registered for the Ladder Challenge. Thanks for all the help, and I'll be sure to post more often!

Hey, thanks for the response Age of Kings! Right now, I'm focusing on Singles, but Doubles and Triples may come in time. I'll look at the threads you posted, they seem like a great help, and I've just registered for the Ladder Challenge. Thanks for all the help, and I'll be sure to post more often!
You might also delve into Pokemon Global Link's usage statistics on your own. They take some interpreting, but they're a great way to feel more prepared just by knowing what some of the most common sets are.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet

Hey, I'm currently on vacation, and don't have my 3DS. I'll be able to give the scizor to you when I get back. Sorry for the inconvenience! :S

Hey, I'm currently on vacation, and don't have my 3DS. I'll be able to give the scizor to you when I get back. Sorry for the inconvenience! :S
No worries. I'll participate in Most's Ditto giveaway in the meantime, and when that's done I'll just upload a new Bunnelby to the GTS and check to see that it's not been sniped once a day or so. No rush at all! :)

Hey. For my team I currently have
Mega Lucario for physical offensive
Ninetails for special offensive
Cressilia for bulk toxic support but I don't think its helping much, might put up a reflect or something?
Whimiscott as a speed support

What would be good two other pokemon?

Or any changes? I would like my team to have Mega Lucario though.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet

Scizor is away. :)

I'm back home (though still technically in vacation mode), so I can respond to other pokemon distribution requests as well. Also, Pyritie donated a whole bunch of pokemon to the clone box before I left, and I'll be adding them to my main distribution post both here and in my trade thread, probably tomorrow. Thanks, Pyritie!

Last edited:
This is just a quick idea as a pokemon strat, what if a Shuckle (aka Defense Tank) had Power Split which it can learn, used it, than next turn used body slam or another powerful physical move? base Atk would be 240, so it could set up into a crazy damage dealer. Ovbiously this would be set up with reflect/light screen, since the defense would be low, but please reply if u think this could actually work.

This is just a quick idea as a pokemon strat, what if a Shuckle (aka Defense Tank) had Power Split which it can learn, used it, than next turn used body slam or another powerful physical move? base Atk would be 240, so it could set up into a crazy damage dealer. Ovbiously this would be set up with reflect/light screen, since the defense would be low, but please reply if u think this could actually work.
I don't see where it would get the Atk from?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I think you're talking about Power Trick (which switches the Defense stat with the Attack stat) and not Power Split (which averages your offenses with the opponents). They are both rather poor strategies because Shuckle's defenses are all that it going for it. Remember that Shuckle has 20 base HP and 5 base Speed - if you take away its defenses, it's going to be an incredibly fragile Pokemon that is incredibly slow and will likely be KO'd quickly before it can do anything. Sure, it has Sturdy, but that's not quite a point in its favor. Shuckle doesn't have the greatest of offensive movepools either.

If you want a monstrous Rock-type sweeper, DD Mega Tar offers more power (355 Atk at +1 vs. Shuckle's 310 with Power Trick assuming Adamant and 252 Atk) after a turn of setup with much, much less risk. In general, Shuckle should stick to Infestation + Sticky Web, maybe Toxic, but in most cases I don't recommend using Shuckle.

Scizor is away. :)

I'm back home (though still technically in vacation mode), so I can respond to other pokemon distribution requests as well. Also, Pyritie donated a whole bunch of pokemon to the clone box before I left, and I'll be adding them to my main distribution post both here and in my trade thread, probably tomorrow. Thanks, Pyritie!
Thanks so much! I love how helpful this community is! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)