Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

Rain teams only really exist to the extent of having a rain setter and one rain sweeper, often Pelipper and Kingdra (and Mega Swampert when that's released). The rest of the team really shouldn't be dependent on rain though bulky Steels like Celesteela and Ferrothorn are also really nice to have, especially the latter since it resists Electric. Rain setups tend to have more glaring weaknesses since you're stacking two Water-types so the rest of the team should ideally have ways to deal with Electric-types, and to a lesser extent, Grass-types.
I take this as a start for my question ;)
Once that Mega Swampert gets released, what could be a good rain team structure based on him and Pelipper for doubles?
I know this is pretty much theorymoning, but im starting to think about it.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey all. Simple question I couldn't find a real simple answer for. If I have a Breloom that once knew Spore from leveling up as a Shroomish, would it be in it's relearn-able moves if it forgot it? I didn't think much of it at the time in ORAS, but I brought into Sun and went to reteach it Spore, and it wasn't in the list. It's also possible that I didn't actually teach it Spore since the set I was making at the time didn't use it, but I thought I taught it to save for later. Thanks!

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey all. Simple question I couldn't find a real simple answer for. If I have a Breloom that once knew Spore from leveling up as a Shroomish, would it be in it's relearn-able moves if it forgot it? I didn't think much of it at the time in ORAS, but I brought into Sun and went to reteach it Spore, and it wasn't in the list. It's also possible that I didn't actually teach it Spore since the set I was making at the time didn't use it, but I thought I taught it to save for later. Thanks!
Sadly I don't think you can relearn it, since only Shroomish learns it. It's a really dumb mechanic that I hope is fixed next game :(

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Unfortunately, only Shroomish learns Spore, while Breloom doesn't.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I take this as a start for my question ;)
Once that Mega Swampert gets released, what could be a good rain team structure based on him and Pelipper for doubles?
I know this is pretty much theorymoning, but im starting to think about it.
Thanks!
This is speculation on my part, but I'm guessing that Mega Swampert won't be that common in Battle Spot Doubles, just because a lot of teams are probably going to stick to Ludicolo due to Fake Out, an item slot, and being able to hit Tapu Fini pretty hard. Spamming Earthquake with Pelipper on the side could be cool, but I'm not sure it's going to beat spaming high powered water moves in the rain. While Mega Swampert can do that too, I imagine Intimidate will be extremely annoying compared to Ludicolo.

That being said, if I were to run it, I think checking Ferrothorn is going to be even more important than usual, since that doesn't just wall Mega Swampert: it straight up OHKOs it! I guess you could use something like Hammer Arm, but the Speed drop isn't going to be nice.

Maybe it's niche will be its nice bulk, so going with more of a bulky swift swimmer route with just enough to outspeed Tapu Koko in the rain could work.

Slighty off topic, but I imagine that Mega Swampert will be more valuable in Battle Spot Singles, since Thundurus-T and Tapu Koko are extremely annoying to rain at the moment, so Mega Swampert is a nice choice as a Swift Swimmer that can switch Electric-type attacks (watch out for Grass Knot from Tapu Koko though!)

Sadly I don't think you can relearn it, since only Shroomish learns it. It's a really dumb mechanic that I hope is fixed next game :(
Unfortunately, only Shroomish learns Spore, while Breloom doesn't.
Thank you both. I thought that was exactly why, but I thought I'd be able to get away with it since it was from a pre-evolution and knew it at one point. No biggie, just gotta bred up another.

This is speculation on my part, but I'm guessing that Mega Swampert won't be that common in Battle Spot Doubles, just because a lot of teams are probably going to stick to Ludicolo due to Fake Out, an item slot, and being able to hit Tapu Fini pretty hard. Spamming Earthquake with Pelipper on the side could be cool, but I'm not sure it's going to beat spaming high powered water moves in the rain. While Mega Swampert can do that too, I imagine Intimidate will be extremely annoying compared to Ludicolo.

That being said, if I were to run it, I think checking Ferrothorn is going to be even more important than usual, since that doesn't just wall Mega Swampert: it straight up OHKOs it! I guess you could use something like Hammer Arm, but the Speed drop isn't going to be nice.

Maybe it's niche will be its nice bulk, so going with more of a bulky swift swimmer route with just enough to outspeed Tapu Koko in the rain could work.

Slighty off topic, but I imagine that Mega Swampert will be more valuable in Battle Spot Singles, since Thundurus-T and Tapu Koko are extremely annoying to rain at the moment, so Mega Swampert is a nice choice as a Swift Swimmer that can switch Electric-type attacks (watch out for Grass Knot from Tapu Koko though!)
Thanks for your answer, I was just wondering because the last year I used Politoed/Swampert/Ludicolo/Thundurus-I/Talonflame/Bisharp and it was pretty amazing, so I was thinking about adapting it to at least something like Pelipper/Swampert/Ludicolo/Tapu Koko with 2 fillers for other matchups, what would you suggest to me?

Thank you!

Thanks for your answer, I was just wondering because the last year I used Politoed/Swampert/Ludicolo/Thundurus-I/Talonflame/Bisharp and it was pretty amazing, so I was thinking about adapting it to at least something like Pelipper/Swampert/Ludicolo/Tapu Koko with 2 fillers for other matchups, what would you suggest to me?

Thank you!
I remember some early gen 7 rain teams using Alolan Marowak to help draw electric attacks and for general coverage. Sure, it's Fire attacks wouldn't be all that great in rain, but it could serve as a nice filler Pokémon.

Thank you!
Your number one priority should be something that can reliably beat Ferrothorn with that line-up.
Freeze-Dry Icetales also looks like a nightmare to face if it switches in at the right time.

Heatran maybe? For the games when you don't want to bring rain mode or need its resistances. Pelipper, Mega Swampert, Ludicolo and Tapu Koko cover alot of the things that threaten Heatran.
It would also improve your Mega Charizard Y matchup, since a Mega Charizard Y Mega Evolution at a bad time completely kills your momentum if Tapu Koko is not on the field.

Fake Out Ludicolo could also help Heatran set up a Substitute, which in itself is a win condition once the opposing Ground-type, Fighting-type and Water-type threats are dead.
You have enough ways to kill Ground-types, Fighting-types and Water-types so abuse that shit.

Heatran would also help against Amoonguss which could be very annoying depending on the moveset.
Pelipper isn't immune to Spore because it flys above the Electric Terrain.
If the Amoonguss has a Grass-type move, Swampert suffers.
If it has Sludge Bomb, Ludicolo and Tapu Koko cry.
If it has both for some reason and special bulk, good game...

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you both. I thought that was exactly why, but I thought I'd be able to get away with it since it was from a pre-evolution and knew it at one point. No biggie, just gotta bred up another.
Pokemon with dumb pre-evolution-only moves like spore Breloom or Ice Shard Glalie etc. have only one way of being able to relearn them: breed two of the pre-evolution that both know the move together so it gets passed down as an egg move! So if you breed two Shroomish together who both know Spore, the offspring will know Spore as soon as it's hatched and can therefore be relearned by the Breloom whenever you want.

I remember some early gen 7 rain teams using Alolan Marowak to help draw electric attacks and for general coverage. Sure, it's Fire attacks wouldn't be all that great in rain, but it could serve as a nice filler Pokémon.
Your number one priority should be something that can reliably beat Ferrothorn with that line-up.
Freeze-Dry Icetales also looks like a nightmare to face if it switches in at the right time.

Heatran maybe? For the games when you don't want to bring rain mode or need its resitances. Pelipper, Mega Swampert, Ludicolo and Tapu Koko cover alot of the things that threaten Heatran.
It would also improve your Mega Charizard Y matchup, since a Mega Charizard Y Mega Evolution at a bad time completely kills your momentum if Tapu Koko is not on the field.

Fake Out Ludicolo could also help Heatran set up a Substitute, which in itself is a win condition once the opposing Ground-type, Fighting-type and Water-type threats are dead.
You have enough ways to kill Ground-types, Fighting-types and Water-types so abuse that shit.

Heatran would also help against Amoonguss which could be very annoying depending on the moveset.
Pelipper isn't immune to Spore because it flys above the Electric Terrain.
If the Amoonguss has a Grass-type move, Swampert suffers.
If it has Sludge Bomb Ludicolo and Tapu Koko cry.
If it has both for some reason and special bulk, good game...
Thanks to both of you.
So If i have Pelipper/Swampert-M/Ludicolo/Tapu Koko/Heatran, what could help me in the 6th slot? Especially because I already have good matchups against ground, fighting and waters and at this point also against Sun and Sand teams.
Thanks!

Thanks to both of you.
So If i have Pelipper/Swampert-M/Ludicolo/Tapu Koko/Heatran, what could help me in the 6th slot? Especially because I already have good matchups against ground, fighting and waters and at this point also against Sun and Sand teams.
Thanks!
Honestly, the last slot is something that you should pick after testing. Theorymoning it never works.
Out of the top of my head, a second Mega like Mega Salamence could be good here.
It would complement your offensive fairy and your Steel-type tank pretty well, give you some Intimidate-support, another Ground-type immunity and another physical powerhouse if you need it and Swampert is not a good pick.
It also doesn't need rain to be fast.

But like I said, test it once Mega Swampert is a thing and you build this team. You will notice aspects that no amount of theorymoning could have told you.

Last edited:
Honestly, the last slot is something that you should pick after testing. Theorymoning it never works.
Out of the top of my head, a second Mega like Mega Salamence could be good here.
It would complement your offensive fairy and your Steel-type tank pretty well, give you some Intimidate-support, another Ground-type immunity and another physical powerhouse if you need it and Swampert is not a good pick.
It also doesn't need rain to be fast.

But like I said, test it once Mega Swampert is a thing and you build this team. You will notice aspects that no amount of theorymoning could have told you.
Got u, thanks for your suggestions mate.

How does the Speed Swap mechanic works? Does the user simply exchange its real Speed stat with the target? Or does the user exchange its base Speed stat? Thinking of running a team based on this strategy. Thanks in advance for the answers.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
How does the Speed Swap mechanic works? Does the user simply exchange its real Speed stat with the target? Or does the user exchange its base Speed stat? Thinking of running a team based on this strategy. Thanks in advance for the answers.
It exchanges the Speed stat, I don't believe it takes into account any Speed boosts that are in effect though. That being said Speed Swap is one of those moves that has interesting applications in theory but it's not really a move you can justify running since half of the users are trash and the other half are Pheromosa and Alolan Raichu, who are much better off just attacking because they'll just get KOed otherwise. If you're set on using it though, the aforementioned Pokemon are definitely the only ones worth running.

It exchanges the Speed stat, I don't believe it takes into account any Speed boosts that are in effect though. That being said Speed Swap is one of those moves that has interesting applications in theory but it's not really a move you can justify running since half of the users are trash and the other half are Pheromosa and Alolan Raichu, who are much better off just attacking because they'll just get KOed otherwise. If you're set on using it though, the aforementioned Pokemon are definitely the only ones worth running.
So it's the real Speed stat right? Not the base Speed? Thanks for clarifying. Just thought it would be fun to have something slow and powerful (e.g. Belly Drum Snorlax) to have the Speed stat of Pheromosa or Ribombee :)

So uh, my sync failed and this happened:

Now, my question is: Only 8% of Tapu-Fini actually run Timid; does anyone one know what they could be trying to speedcreep with +speed? Heck, is Timid even worthwhile? I really want to use it but I don't know what to do with this thing.
PS: Probably a question for the Wi-fi forums, but I feel the folks here would be able to give me a more objective answer.

Now, my question is: Only 8% of Tapu-Fini actually run Timid; does anyone one know what they could be trying to speedcreep with +speed? Heck, is Timid even worthwhile? I really want to use it but I don't know what to do with this thing.
PS: Probably a question for the Wi-fi forums, but I feel the folks here would be able to give me a more objective answer.
It's probably used with Scarf to outrun neutral natured Landorus-T, Tapu Lele, and Hydreigon. I can't imagine any other use for it, except maybe a gimmiky, offensive Calm Mind + Z-Mist set.
Either way I'd simply retry on that one.

And since Tapu Fini is very coincidental and I was just about to ask about it:
I can't find much Doubles info for Fini, beyond Specs sets. Does it use any other set? I was looking to SR one and commit suicide by bottlecapping it with weeks of endless E4 grinding.
Nature is mostly what I'm asking: Bold or Modest I assume are the common options, much like Suicune?

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Fast SubToxic Suicune was really cool last gen, but since Misty Terrain stops Fini from being able to do that it's kind of a moot suggestion. What Fini has over Suicune though is Taunt, and a fast Taunt can be really helpful against things like Gliscor, Glalie, Cres and Gyara. You can also do something like a Screens lead set as well. I think it might be more useful in VGC than BSS, but yeah bulkier sets are really good so not much point in going fast.

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader

The biggest benefit of running Timid Fini is that you can run enough speed to outrun +natured base 80s. This means you can stop something like lead Mamoswine from setting up rocks - something that is particularly valuable if you are running Volcarona or Charizard Y in the back. And as cant say mentioned, fast Taunt is also good vs. some annoying bulky 'mons. The best speed benchmarks for Fini are 125, 135, and 146 to outspeed max speed Cele, +natured base 70s, and +natured base 80s respectively.

Last edited:
Any explanations as to why Mega Salamence's top partners in Doubles in S2 were Japan Sand?
Probably because Japan Sand is literally the core of TTar + Excadrill + Mence, and Excadrill is fucking amazing on STAB coverage. Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko are in huge usage, and enormous threats to Mence itself.

That said, I am honestly amazed that CharChomp seems to be in solid usage right now. Appearently I have to get off my ass and kill shit with the core I've been running since Char-Y was invented.
Though I'm not sure why Chomp exists right under Lando-T with the Fairy weakness and Scarf Lele literally destroying entire countries. Guess I'll find out lol

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
speaking as a guy who's trying to get into battle spot (and who doesn't want to clutter the discord too much), I may need a wee bit of help with a teamcomp I can use to get a feel for the meta. I've got some old 'mons from when I did VGC months ago, and want to refit, repurpose and recycle them! My team comp revolved around rain, and though from what I've heard it's not the best ever strategy, it'd still be 'my team', if you see what I mean.

Anyway, questions (my tier I'm trying to get into is Singles):
  1. I have in my possession a sweeper-trained Tapu Koko and Xurkitree; both are Timid if I recall correctly. Is it worth it to put both on a team, or will Koko fit the bill just fine by himself?
  2. I've heard spooky things about Mimikyu; do you think that infamous 'mon would have a place on a rain team, either to help out in said weather or as a backup strategy?
  3. Slowbro keeps being mentioned around here; is it better to run him as a 'bulky sweeper', or just a straight-up wall?
  4. :gusbus:
Thanks!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
speaking as a guy who's trying to get into battle spot (and who doesn't want to clutter the discord too much), I may need a wee bit of help with a teamcomp I can use to get a feel for the meta. I've got some old 'mons from when I did VGC months ago, and want to refit, repurpose and recycle them! My team comp revolved around rain, and though from what I've heard it's not the best ever strategy, it'd still be 'my team', if you see what I mean.

Anyway, questions (my tier I'm trying to get into is Singles):
  1. I have in my possession a sweeper-trained Tapu Koko and Xurkitree; both are Timid if I recall correctly. Is it worth it to put both on a team, or will Koko fit the bill just fine by himself?
  2. I've heard spooky things about Mimikyu; do you think that infamous 'mon would have a place on a rain team, either to help out in said weather or as a backup strategy?
  3. Slowbro keeps being mentioned around here; is it better to run him as a 'bulky sweeper', or just a straight-up wall?
  4. :gusbus:
Thanks!
Welcome, dude!

Tapu Koko definitely. As much as it pains me as a fan of Xurkitree to admit, Koko is just better. If you aren't using Z-something on your rain sweeper (Kingdra?) then Z-Thunder on Koko works a treat. Otherwise Specs / LO are cool too.

If you have 5 Pokemon and can't think of a sixth, you really can't go wrong with Mimi. Disguise is ridiculous here. It won't really help with rain specifically though.

Slowbro isn't great. Not sure where you read that.

Been running the somewhat viable Hippowdon, Mega Luke, and Dragonite core to a mixed success, but the one problem I have is I am not sure what teammates usually run with them. Has anyone else used this core and can give me a potential answer?

EDIT: Also what other viable Mega Luke teams have gone around gen 7 BSS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)