Tournament Battle Spot Singles Circuit 2017 Invitational - FINALS [Won by: Jmal98!]

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Invitational 2017

It's finally time. It is with great pleasure that I present the first ever BSSC Invitational! 12 players fought through the 10-month long circuit to qualify, and one of them will be crowned the 2017 BSSC champion! chemcoop, greilmercenary9, Mishimono, and Doobzi have taken the top 4 spots in the qualification, and therefore will get a bye in round 1.

Specific Rules
  • This is a standard SM Battle Spot Singles Tournament. If BOTH players agree to play USUM against each other, they are allowed to do so.
  • The tournament will be Best of FIVE, Single Elimination. Players may change their teams during the set.
  • If playing SM, any Pokemon set that requires the use of Pokemon USUM are banned. Using these Pokemon will result in a game loss.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown/SmogTours, and all replays MUST be posted in this thread.
  • In an event of a timeout, the player who times out will lose that game unless the opponent grants a rematch. This holds true even for a disconnect, since we cannot know which three Pokemon were selected at team preview. Consequently, players do not need to send in their teams to me/a TD.
(Match up portraits by Blazenix)

chem16.gif

1. chemcoop vs bye

jmal16.gif

8. Jmal98 vs 9. Psynergy

solerme16.gif

5. Solerme vs 12. Megazard

doobzi16.gif

4. Doobzi vs bye

mish16.gif

3. Mishimono vs bye

noved16.gif

6. NOVED vs 11. Jhon

nat16.gif

7. Nat vs 10. Theorymon

greil16.gif

2. greilmercenary9 vs bye​

(Match up portraits created by Blazenix)

chem8.gif

1. chemcoop vs 8. Jmal98

doobzi8.gif

4. Doobzi vs 5. Solerme

mish8.gif

3. Mishimono vs 6. NOVED

greil8.gif

2. greilmercenary9 vs 7. Nat

SEMIFINALS
portraits by Blazenix

solerme4.gif

5. Solerme vs 8. Jmal98

noved4.gif

6. NOVED vs 7. Nat

FINALS

6. NOVED vs 8. Jmal98

Standard Rules
  • Matches will be played in the Singles format
  • Pokemon above level 50 will be brought down to level 50. Pokemon below level 50 stay as is.
  • Players pick 3 of their 6 Pokemon at team preview.
  • Symbol Clause: A Pokemon cannot have a set that can only be obtained from Generation 5 games and before (i.e. no <6th gen exclusive tutor/event moves or abilities).
  • Species Clause: No two Pokemon in the same team can have the same National Pokedex number.
  • Item Clause: No two Pokemon in the same team can hold the same item.
Ghosting: The player in a tournament battle should be the one making their own decisions. Do not tell a player what move to make in a tournament battle (i.e. do not "ghost" them), and do not make your moves based on another person's suggestions. If we are made aware that someone playing a tournament battle is making some of their moves based mainly on the suggestions of someone else, punishments may be handed out to both parties involved.

Identity: Pretending to be another player in relation to a tournament battle is strictly prohibited. Do not try to impersonate or play as another player. This applies to the use of alts as well. Any player who breaks this will be disqualified and permanently banned from the circuit, in addition to the punishment handed by the Tournament Directors.

Rule Breaking: If a player breaks a rule during a battle, they are disqualified from that particular battle. If it was a single battle in a series, they will still have the opportunity to play the rest of the series.

Forfeiting: A player may forfeit their battle during or after the battle, as long as the result has not been confirmed by the host. If a player forfeits before a battle commences in the first round of a tournament, they are eligible for substitution if appropriate. We highly recommend that you do not forfeit your tournament battles just because you got lucky, but we do not enforce this.

Host / Tournament Director Decisions: The host may make a judgment call on the outcome of a battle with a disputed result, even if one player has broken the rules. If you believe the host has made an unjust decision, you may inform the Tournament Director responsible for the tournament of the situation and request that they make a final call on it.

Sportsmanship: If a player displays exceedingly poor sportsmanship before, during, or after a tournament battle, they may be disqualified or otherwise punished.

This round ends Sunday, December 17 11:59PM EST. I know it's the Christmas holidays so if stuff doesn't work out let me know.

Last edited:

DragonWhale

is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Please post times you're playing in this thread so people can tune in/we can plan streams :)

NOVED vs Jhon: Saturday 1:30PM (GMT-5)
Solerme vs Megazard: Friday 9AM PST
Jmal98 vs Psynergy: Thursday 8PM EST
Theorymon vs Nat: Saturday 10AM (GMT-5)

Last edited:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Jmal98 vs Psynergy
Solerme
vs Megazard
NOVED vs Jhon
Nat vs Theorymon

I was planning to predict for the person whose name I recognised in each pairing but I'm surprised that I actually recognised like 7/8 of these names, made the predictions much tougher >:I

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
The Invitational is here!!!!
  • Jmal98 vs Psynergy: Jmal98 is probably going to be a bit rusty after taking a few months off, and Psynergy is one of the best in the community right now.
  • Solerme vs Megazard: Giving Megazard the slight edge in this toss-up. Match prep is going to be the deciding factor for both players.
  • Highlight Set: NOVED vs Jhon: NOVED has been practicing a lot on PS!, and I expect him to bring some quality teams/playing to this set. However, it's a mistake to underestimate Jhon, a skilled doubles and singles player.
  • Nat vs Theorymon: Nat is a phenomenal BSS player and should win unless the Theorymon luck comes through.

Jmal98 vs Psynergy: Psynergy has been performing really well all meta with pretty much every tour he's played in, he's in good form and will take it out in four.
Solerme vs Megazard: Tough pick, though I've got faith in my tapus! Both are exceptional players though I feel like MZ is the kind of player who can rock up after two years and still play like he never missed a day. If he preps, I can see this being nasty though Solerme is no pushover by any means. MZ in five.
NOVED vs Jhon: John is amazing, though NOVED is always in the loop and one of the most educated BSS players around. Can see this being over in four.
Nat vs Theorymon: Sorry Nat, It's just too hard to predict against Tmon sometimes. Again, two phenominal players that should give us an amazing set of battles. Tmon in five.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Jmal98 vs Psynergy: Psynergy beat me in dou ssnl, won cart tour and has done well in most of the tours so he must be good. Jmal is a good player, but he took a break and has been less active since so Psynergy should have the advantage here.
Solerme vs Megazard: I think this will be very close, but giving Solerme the edge as he plays bss a bit more and may be able to catch Megazard off guard, but Megazard just won last bssc and knocked Solerme out so he could definitley win too
NOVED vs Jhon: This is the set I am most excited for as I feel it will be really close. I am picking NOVED to win though as I see him practice more and I feel he will prep some good teams.
Nat vs Theorymon: This should also be a good match, but predicting Nat to win as I think she builds really good teams and is a good player. Nat also beat me twice while Tmon only beat me once.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll be playing sometime this weekend (hard to say when, finals on the mind!)

Anyways predicting for the remaining players cuz I need to take an hour off from studying lol

mal98 vs Psynergy:
Solerme
vs Megazard:
NOVED vs Jhon:
Nat vs Theorymon:

Yeah I know predicting against yourself is an edgelord thing, but hey I got a good reason this time! I haven't been able to seriously teambuild or practice for like 2 weeks due to finals + teambuilding block for some weird USUM ideas. So I'm not feeling too prepared LOL. It's ok though, I'll still have fun even if I get stomped!

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
S Tier - One of them is very likely to win the Invitational

Jhon
The Saffron Side-Pups' greatest creation. Jhon-senpai is better than Natalie in singles and better than Sam in doubles. He is player that has never fallen out of the top 5 since his debut. With a recent BSSC title and more than enough prep in the past 2 months, Jhon is at the peak of his career and will be ready for whatever that comes his way.

chemcoop
Master of all trades, jack of none. If you ask anyone with at least a single brain cell in the community who is currently the best player in BSS they'll most likely reply "chem". Much of this rep is overrated if you look back to his imperfect BSPL run. With more BSSC titles than ABR's SPL and blunder's WCOP titles combined, chem-sensei is the single biggest threat to Jhon's title conquest.

Nat
Nat's biggest enemy is herself. She has all the tools to be a champion but tends to let temper get the better of her during big matches and has had a few questionable losses in the past. The road to the finals is a gruelling one, and if she can overcome her inner-demon, then Nat has a very good shot at winning.

A Tier - Don't be surprised if one of them win the Invitational

Megazard
Remember back to when Yami Yugi defeated Duke Devlin in "Dungeon Dice Monsters". Even though DDM was a different metagame, Yugi was able to win due to his skills and experience from Duel Monsters. Megazard is a bit like Yugi. He may not know all there is to know about BSS and its gimmicks, but he is a tier 1 player.

NOVED
NOVED the Godsend is here to represent the Kahunas after cant say failed to make the cut. NOVED is very consistent and has been a regular of the community since the beginning of time. After a disappointing BSPL run, this will be the perfect opportunity for him to end the year with his very first BSS title.

Psynergy
One of the most gifted RU players of his generation, who happens to be equally talented in DOU and BSS. Psynergy is a battle hardened veteran with skills on par with NOVED the Godsend. He will be hungry for the Invitational title more than anybody else, and only by winning this will he then achieve the "Ultimate Redemption" for losing 6-0 in the BSPL finals.

B Tier - RNGesus exists so who knows what might happen

Theorymon
A tier 1 player who is unfortunately plagued by real life and other external issues. Theorymon has proven to be at the top level of this game by winning the SM kick off tour and has plenty of other cart achievements one can only dream of achieving. RNG is King, Knowledge is Queen and Prep is Jack.

Solerme
The Crimson Magician from Italy. Andre's experience in BSS is second only to everyone in the Japanese room. He excels in shorter matches (bo1/possibly bo3) and playing bo5 will take a heavy toll on him. Sitting on the manager's seat during BSPL doesn't do him any justice either. Basically he has everything going against him right now yet he can put in serious work and give anyone a run for their money.

greilmercenary9
Dubbed as the strongest singles player from the Farseers roster, there's a lot going for greil9. Can't say too much about him with a rather odd BSPL record so we'll see how it goes.

X Tier - Don't count them out just yet

Doobzi
The "dark horse" of the invitational. Performed exceptional well on cart throughout the season so there's that. PS has a very different "feel" so it'll be interesting to see how he performs in this tour.

Mishimono
If Demantoid was half as consistent as he was back in 2015/2016, he would be here rather than mish mish. He may not be the best doubles player but he's certainly the most famous in their community. The whole "mish" thing spreads faster than cancer and the hype is real so please show everyone what you got.

Jmal98
A tragic relic from the past, Jmal along with jroxas and Brian12345 had potential to be the very best players had they not taken long periods of hiatus. Despite being a shadow of his former self, Jmal can still inflict serious damage on any player in this tour if they aren't careful. He has stronger RNG than Lance from YouTube so anything's possible.

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
S Tier - One of them is very likely to win the Invitational

Jhon
The Saffron Side-Pups' greatest creation. Jhon-senpai is better than Natalie in singles and better than Sam in doubles. He is player that has never fallen out of the top 5 since his debut. With a recent BSSC title and more than enough prep in the past 2 months, Jhon is at the peak of his career and will be ready for whatever that comes his way.

chemcoop
Master of all trades, jack of none. If you ask anyone with at least a single brain cell in the community who is currently the best player in BSS they'll most likely reply "chem". Much of this rep is overrated if you look back to his imperfect BSPL run. With more BSSC titles than ABR's SPL and blunder's WCOP titles combined, chem-sensei is the single biggest threat to Jhon's title conquest.

Nat
Nat's biggest enemy is herself. She has all the tools to be a champion but tends to let temper get the better of her during big matches and has had a few questionable losses in the past. The road to the finals is a gruelling one, and if she can overcome her inner-demon, then Nat has a very good shot at winning.

A Tier - Don't be surprised if one of them win the Invitational

Megazard
Remember back to when Yami Yugi defeated Duke Devlin in "Dungeon Dice Monsters". Even though DDM was a different metagame, Yugi was able to win due to his skills and experience from Duel Monsters. Megazard is a bit like Yugi. He may not know all there is to know about BSS and its gimmicks, but he is a tier 1 player.

NOVED
NOVED the Godsend is here to represent the Kahunas after cant say failed to make the cut. NOVED is very consistent and has been a regular of the community since the beginning of time. After a disappointing BSPL run, this will be the perfect opportunity for him to end the year with his very first BSS title.

Psynergy
One of the most gifted RU players of his generation, who happens to be equally talented in DOU and BSS. Psynergy is a battle hardened veteran with skills on par with NOVED the Godsend. He will be hungry for the Invitational title more than anybody else, and only by winning this will he then achieve the "Ultimate Redemption" for losing 6-0 in the BSPL finals.

B Tier - RNGesus exists so who knows what might happen

Theorymon
A tier 1 player who is unfortunately plagued by real life and other external issues. Theorymon has proven to be at the top level of this game by winning the SM kick off tour and has plenty of other cart achievements one can only dream of achieving. RNG is King, Knowledge is Queen and Prep is Jack.

Solerme
The Crimson Magician from Italy. Andre's experience in BSS is second only to everyone in the Japanese room. He excels in shorter matches (bo1/possibly bo3) and playing bo5 will take a heavy toll on him. Sitting on the manager's seat during BSPL doesn't do him any justice either. Basically he has everything going against him right now yet he can put in serious work and give anyone a run for their money.

greilmercenary9
Dubbed as the strongest singles player from the Farseers roster, there's a lot going for greil9. Can't say too much about him with a rather odd BSPL record so we'll see how it goes.

X Tier - Don't count them out just yet

Doobzi
The "dark horse" of the invitational. Performed exceptional well on cart throughout the season so there's that. PS has a very different "feel" so it'll be interesting to see how he performs in this tour.

Mishimono
If Demantoid was half as consistent as he was back in 2015/2016, he would be here rather than mish mish. He may not be the best doubles player but he's certainly the most famous in their community. The whole "mish" thing spreads faster than cancer and the hype is real so please show everyone what you got.

Jmal98
A tragic relic from the past, Jmal along with jroxas and Brian12345 had potential to be the very best players had they not taken long periods of hiatus. Despite being a shadow of his former self, Jmal can still inflict serious damage on any player in this tour if they aren't careful. He has stronger RNG than Lance from YouTube so anything's possible.
bobo you are a national treasure

never change

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We agreed to 9am PST Friday and I'm keeping it to regular old SM

DragonWhale

Sorry about the delay posting Round 2. Wanted to use the portraits made by Blazenix in the post.

Like Round 1, please let us know the times you will be playing in this thread so people can tune in/we can plan streams.

chemcoop vs Jmal98: Friday 2pm EST
Doobzi vs Solerme: Friday 8pm GMT+5.5
Mishimono vs NOVED: Thursday 1030PM EST
greilmercenary9 vs Nat: Friday 9am GMT-5

Last edited:
Doing this again even though I was horribly wrong last time!

chemcoop vs Jmal98: Unless Jmal's luck carries over from his games vs Psynergy, I don't think he'll win. Chemcoop is too strong for a lot of top BSS players to handle right now, he'll win this in four.
Doobzi vs Solerme: Not to underestimate Solerme, but I've liked how Doobzi has been playing. There were also a few questionable plays in Solerme vs Megazard, which imo Solerme will need to patch up if he's going to take Doobzi down. This'll be Doobzi's set in five.
Mishimono vs NOVED: Lord MISH MISH is strong, but no match for NOVED. Four games.
greilmercenary9 vs Nat: Nat's proven me wrong before, I don't want her to do it again. I'm still 50/50 on this, though I feel as if Nat will take a very close set in five games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)