Battle Spot Singles Teambuilding Competition - Diggersby :: BUILDING

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Approved by cant say, almost completely c+p'd from Memoric's DOU thread who adapted the idea from elsewhere yada yada

Welcome to the Battle Spot Singles Teambuilding Competition! This is a weekly competition which you can join at any time. Basically, what we are going to do here is we are going to see who can build the better team, hence the name. Each week, I will post a core, set, or Pokemon and then you guys will post an importable of a team featuring said concept. Along with the team, you will post a short summary that may include: your teambuilding process, how the team works, replays, etc.; it's gonna look like a mini-RMT of sorts. After a few days, I will close submissions and then anyone can come and vote on the team which they think is best. The winner of the week will get some sweet bragging rights while also having their team featured for everyone to see in the teams hall of fame :>

Rules and Mechanics: Here's the process of how this competition will be hosted
  1. Five (5) days of submission of teams and discussion. Post your entry on the thread, be sure to follow this format!
    Code:
    <sprites> [hide=Importable][/hide] [hide=Description][/hide]
  2. Two (2) days of voting for the winning team
Submitting Teams: Please include the following when submitting your teams. Post your entry on the thread!
  • Optional but recommended: sprites. I personally like to use the gifs from this page but if you have another favourite place to grab sprites from then use those. As long as you use them I'm cool :]
  • Importable of your team in a hide tag
  • A brief description of your teambuilding process and how the team plays in another hide tag together.
  • Basically, that means you'll be using TWO hidetags in total.
If you're using sprites, place them outside of the hide tags, not inside them!
Discussion and Changes: People are free to talk about their and other people's teams in this thread. People can make suggestions to other people's team but only to an extent; while you can suggest small things such as a nature change or move change, don't change up their team's structure or rebuild it because there's a different forum (RMT) for that. This isn't an RMT thread.
Winning: If you win, then congratulations! You'll have your name and team featured on the BSS Teambuilding Hall of Fame yay. Also user 6tennis has graciously offered to use the winning team in his weekly Pokémon Showdown laddering stream so you get to see your team in action as well!
Copying Teams: Please don't. This just ruins the fun we can get out of this competition and is against the rules. You'll be DQd from the week if you were found copying other people's teams. If you suspect someone of doing this, PM me. Hopefully no one would do this but take this as a warning.
On Bandwagoning / Namevoting: Please don't do this either. Don't just vote for a guy just because they have a ton of votes already or they're famous. Don't feel pressured to vote for anyone for any reason other than having the best team. If you really think a team is the best out there, vote for that team; don't let anything pressure you to do otherwise. Bandwagoning just ruins the spirit of this competition and isn't cool :[
On Suggestions: If you have any suggestions for this competition, feel free to PM me. It'll be considered but there are ultimately no promises if it'll be implemented though.

HALL OF FAME

Week 1: Scrafty ~ ethan06

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rest
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Rest

Week 2: Mega Aerodactyl ~ Psynergy

Wild Wing (Aerodactyl-Mega) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 236 Atk / 44 Def / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Nozuchi (Serperior) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 SpA / 12 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Taunt

Dinotyrant (Garchomp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Outrage
- Dual Chop

Cursed Knight (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword

Origin Bud (Blaziken) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect / Substitute
- Baton Pass
- High Jump Kick

Silver Sentinel (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt

Week 3: Volcarona ~ Psynergy

Moth Lord (Volcarona) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain

The End (Salamence-Mega) @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Of Raging Winds (Suicune) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Mirror Coat

Rampart (Conkeldurr) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Muskoid (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

Ancient Keeper (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Flash Cannon

Week 4: Diggersby ~ TBD

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Week 1:

Scrafty
is an interesting Pokémon in the Battle Spot Singles metagame. On the one hand, it's a great bulky Fighting-type that benefits hugely from the ability to check big threats like Aegislash and Thundurus and deal with most bulky Psychics with its impressive special bulk and good defensive typing. However, the same defensive typing leaves it with some big flaws: no amount of physical defense investment can save it from being mauled by Talonflame and it loses immediately to any Fairy-type thanks to its glaring 4x Fairy weakness. On top of that, its offensive stats are uninspiring without boosts, requiring it to take hits and set up before doing any meaningful damage. That said, Scrafty is a versatile stallbreaker and all-purpose sponge that doesn't deserve to be used as little as it is. I look forward to your contributions!

Building period: Now until this time on the 1st Feb (5 days)
Voting period: 2nd Feb - 3rd Feb (2 days)

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 28 Def
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Super Fang

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Horn Drill

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 44 HP / 244 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 116 HP / 220 Def / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Reflect
- Synthesis
- Taunt
I decided to center the team around Mega Gengar as it and Scrafty's typing compliment each other. Scrafty switches into Dark, Ghost, and Psychic moves aimed at Gengar, and Gengar can switch into the Fairy and Fighting moves aimed at Scrafty. Choice Scarf Excadrill provides a second way of dealing with Ghost types like Aegislash and opposing Gengar (thanks to its Mold Breaker ability) and, alongside Talonflame, provides a fast option for finishing off foes that've been worn down by Mega Gengar. Rotom-W was chosen primarily as a switch in against Talonflame, since although Excadrill can switch in and knock it out should it go for Brave Bird, it's nice to have something that resists its Fire moves too. Talonflame was chosen because it helps against match ups like Blaziken and Mega Venusaur quite nicely, which the team might otherwise struggle with. Serperior was chosen mostly for its ability to check bulky Water-types, but also because I wanted a way to inflict residual damage on Mega Kangaskhan.

The team's leads are pretty flexible. Scrafty makes an OK lead with its bulk and Assault Vest giving it the ability to deal with a variety of foes. Rotom-W and Talonflame both have pivot moves, and could retreat out of a bad match up. Serperior can at worst Taunt or Reflect, but can start firing off Leaf Storms for immediate momentum if appropriate. Ultimately the goal is to wear down the opposing team as much as possible until they're able to be finished off with one of the team's fast attackers, utilizing Mega Gengar's ability to trap foes to do so.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SALTS-BRO BULKY OFFENSE

Scrafty @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Ice Punch

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 204 HP / 196 SpA / 4 SpD / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Calm Mind

I guess I'll go with the teambuilding process because that's the easiest way to go with this team which I didn't test at all lol.

So I started off thinking about the set of Scrafty I wanted to use. I thought I might as well go with a set that can beat Mega Kangaskhan so that I don't have to worry too much about it later. Intimidate Rocky Helmet was my conclusion, as it lives a Fake Out + Double-Edge and Kang becomes a lot easier to deal with. I put in Bulk Up over an Assault Vest set because the only good move to put over that moveslot was Fake Out, which does negligible damage anyway and would only serve to break Focus Sashes. Bulk Up > Dragon Dance because trying to sweep with this thing is not something you can accomplish. It's better to get bulkier and have more opportunities to dish out hits.

Fighting, Fairy, Flying. Three weaknesses of Scrafty. So I picked Aegislash. Aegislash's weakness to Ghost and Dark are also alleviated by Scrafty too, so these two make a decent core together. I decided to bring the set listed above because it's good against stuff that try to set up on Scrafty like Garchomp and Mega Salamence. It turned out to be the only Toxic user of the team so that was nice too.

Weakness to Charizard and Talonflame was becoming a thing, so I decided to bring Tyranitar and Landorus-T into the team. Chople Ttar helps deal with Focus Blast from Mega Charizard Y and also traps Mega Gengar. Landorus is a great switch in to Mega Charizard X and also Garchomp in case you want to intimidate shuffle to get some more drops. Stallbreaker Talon beats the first two as well, so Ttar is great for that, and can also set up rocks to make it harder for Talonflame for the rest of the match. It's my sashbreaker too, so now I really don't need that Fake Out on Scrafty.

Serperior and substitute spammers like Glalie and Gliscor were looking kinda annoying, so I decided to bring in the nuke Sylveon. All you need is one move on this thing honestly. Considered Quick Attack but it's hardly used, I have Ttar, and I wanted a move to hit Venusaur so I opted for Psyshock instead.

I still didn't have a mega and I also had no Bisharp switch ins on a double intimidate team, so I decided to use Mega Slowbro. Yeah yeah I know it's weak to Dark type moves but it still tanks a +2 Sucker Punch and you can Slack Off measly Knock Offs. If scald doesn't burn it's pretty much gg. Physical attacker switch-in #3, as well as something that wins vs Suicune in a Calm Mind war. If it's CM Roar Cune it's a counterteam so just type "GG" in italic bold caps and click x. Oh yeah Milotic can be annoying too so this thing will be useful for that as well.

Uhh otherwise I'm pretty sure there's no big thing that'll beat this team outright...I think.

Scrafty @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Atk / 12 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Ice Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Talonflame @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Taunt

Salamence @ Salamencite
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Substitute

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Mamoswine @ Assault Vest
EVs: 44 HP / 204 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Fissure

ok so scrafty is the helmet guy here. i wanted to use other items like lum and av but i ended up wanting to use them on other mons more. so i used helmet, its cool i guess, deals with kanga and other physical stuff. rotom-wash is my talonflame killer guy cause scrafty doesnt like talon i guess. specstom is pretty hard to switch into and can vswitch around and shit, its cool. talonflame is my first fairy killer guy cause scrafty doesnt like fairies. throwing out wisps is really cool and priority birds is sweet. mence cause i just wanted to use mence. since we have scrafty to deal with aegi i felt like we could run monoattack pretty easily so mence is the mono attack guy, he's pretty good. i LOVE subroost DD, very fun set. ferro is my second fairy killer guy, sets up rocks and all so thats cool. mamo is the thundurus switchin guy here cause i dont have any other reliable one. i also really enjoy mamo with mence. i only tested this a wee bit on PS. scarfty is pretty lame tbh, wouldve probably rather used conk or something instead.

but yeah scrafty can kinda beat some things that annoy mence like p2 and cress, intimidates garchomp, mamo and all so thats nice. and it can kinda lure in blaziken too which will hopefully give your mence some nice opportunities :-)

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.gif
image.png
image.png

Scrafty@Assault Vest
Level:50
EVs: 252 HP/ 164 SpA/ 92 SpD
Careful Nature
-Drain Punch
-Knock Off
-Ice Punch
-Counter

Skarmory@Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/ 124 Atk/ 132 Spe
Impish Nature
-Brave Bird
-Iron Defense
-Roost
-Toxic

Talonflame@Maranga Berry
EVs: 236 HP/ 4 Atk/ 44 Def/ 188 SpD/ 36 Spe
Careful Nature
-Brave Bird
-Will-o-Wisp
-Taunt
-Roost

Slowbro-Mega@Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA
Bold Nature
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Scald
-Psyshock

Mamoswine@Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Icicle Spear
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake

Sylveon@Chesto Berry
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpA
Modest Nature
-Hyper Voice
-Psyshock
-Rest
-Magic Coat

I've used this exact Scrafty with Shed Sin and had some success, and Intimidate is even better for an AV set. Counter can also surprise some physical attackers like Kang that expect to get easy 2HKOs. Ice Punch gets those all those nasty Dragons, Drain Punch is fairly decent healing and coverage, and Knock Off is great for Gengar and gets rid of items.

Talonflame, Blaziken, and Mega Kangaskhan all immediately stood out to me as huge problems for Scrafty, so I added Skarmory to beat the latter, while Blaziken is dealt with fairly easily by Talon and MegaBro(who also beats Talon for me.)

So far, my team is pretty weak to electric attacks, so I decided to use the Mamoswine I run on my team. Scarf makes it a great revenge killer, and it can switch in just fine on those bountiful electric types with relatively poor coverage(Zapdos, Raikou, and Thundurus come to mind.)

Lastly I added Sylveon. I haven't used it in a long time because it is slow, physically frail, and has a poor movepool, but it seems to fit well here, in particular being the only answer to Mega Sableye. Magic Coat can surprise Cresselia and Thundurus, both of which are likely to try and T-Wave Sylveon since they don't do that much damage. HP Ground isn't too necessary considering I already beat electrics and Heatran, Hyper Beam is more for the Specs set, and Shadow Ball is not much good at all, with nothing in BSS being 4x weak to it.

I usually spend a while on EV spreads, but not so much here. Scrafty is just the EV spread that shows up in the damage calc with the name "VGC15 Bulky Support." This isn't Doubles, but the spread seems pretty much fine for everything, so I just went with it. Skarmory has a fairly odd spread I made. Def EVs are pretty uneccesary with Iron Defense, so I put them in Attack for something, and 132 speed is for 4 Spe base 85s and below. Going up to 140 Spe EVs seems pointless since Skarmory can't do much of anything to Rotoms. The spread for Talonflame I got from cant say. It's worked really well. Everything else has boring 252/252/4 EV spreads.

Scrafty @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 4 Def / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- High Jump Kick

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Power Whip

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Bomb
- Hex

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover

I went for a bulky life orb intimidate scrafty so it could take hits as well as hit back. 116 evs in attack with an adamant nature and life orb guarantees the ohko on kangaskhan with a high jump kick. Bulk up was chosen to increase physical bulk and power. Knock off is a great stab move that can get rid of annoying items such as eviolite from P2, rocky helmet from cress, sitrus berry from thundurus etc. Drain punch for reliable recovery. 20 speed evs to outspeed uninvested P2's and the rest in special defense and hp for bulk.

Next, I went for rotom-heat as these two complement each other quite well. Scrafty takes rock attacks for rotoms and rotom takes fairy and flying type attacks quite well. Also, rotom-h is the best counter to talonflame imo which is a huge problem for scrafty. I went for the standard modest trick choice specs set for more power. Rotom-h has hidden power ice for landorus-t, chomp, dnite and mega mence.

I realized this team didn't have a wall so I decided to opt for one of my favorite walls ferrothorn. Standard bulky ferrothorn set. Protect is used to scout.

Now, I needed a few reliable pokemon with a strong offensive presence so I decided to add the scary azumarill-mega-gengar core. Mega gengar basically traps whatever bothers azumarill and azumarill, once the threats are gone, proceeds to go for a belly drum to sweep the team. Scrafty works quite well with this core as opposing ghost types such as aegislash can really stop this duo in its tracks and scrafty is a great counter to ghosts. Fighting type attacks was also a problem for my team and these two are pretty great counters to fighting types.
Another reason why I went for azumarill is that it has great synergy with ferrothorn and rotom-heat since three of them make the oldest core in pokemon ( fire-grass-water).

Finally, I felt I needed a pokemon to balance my team and provide speed control so I went for offensive trick room P2. P2's role is basically to take hits, to slow down offensive teams and to set up trick room for scrafty, rotom-h and azumarill.

Well this was actually pretty fun and I think this competition is a great idea because it really helps your team building skills.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think I'm seeing a trend here!

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb

Wobbuffet @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Destiny Bond

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Rock Tomb

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 116 HP / 220 Def / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Reflect
- Synthesis
- Glare

Not really sure where to begin to be honest. I used Scrafty as my starting point because I just had no idea what he does, so I didn't know how to fit him into a team. Obviously that 4x Fairy weakness sucks ass, so I figured Mega Gengar would be a good partner. My logic for Shadow Ball over the much better Sludge Bomb (for Fairies) was that Scrafty would help Gengar by beating the Normal-types. I think Sludge Bomb would be better but I didn't test with it at all so I can't be certain.

I decided I would do full Perish-Trap so I added Wobbuffet to help with Shadow Tag shenanigans. I figured that with Scrafty's Assault Vest he could take on the common Volt Switch users like Rotoms and Manectric, or at least absorb a hard hit from them so I can double back into Gengar or Wob (or something else).

This core, and Scrafty, was really weak to Talonflame so I went with Rotom-H because I've had a lot of success with it in other teams. Rotom-H also beats all the common U-turn users so he could potentially scare some of them away and thus help make the Perish-Trap strat work. He also provides Trick support so that Wob has an easier time Counter-Coating and Gengar can switch a little easier, which was the main draw over Heatran.

By this point I was a little worried about Specs Hydreigon, although Scrafty can take it and Gengar can at least D-bond it, it still puts a lot of pressure on switching, as something is gonna cop a massive hit (Scrafty can be 2HKOed by Draco Meteor). I was also pretty weary of Mega Charizard X (and a few other things but I forget my process a bit here), anyway I chose Azumarill because it could beat these things but mostly because it pairs with Mega Gengar really well so I have like a dual core going on.

Finally, I was pretty scared of Rotom-W, Suicune and Azumarill, so I added Serperior. He also serves as a defensive check to Mega Khan who I have no answer for currently apart from Gengar trapping and D-bonding. (I also get a nice FWG core! so many cores lol)

Overall, I found it really hard to give Scrafty some significant use, and even in this team he doesn't really do much. He's a pretty good lead if I don't want to do that with Gengar, and Intimidate + Knock Off is really nice, especially against Scarfers who annoy Mega Gengar. However I found myself mostly just using the Perish-Trap core with Rotom-H or Azu, barely bringing Scrafty or Serp unless Scrafty had a good matchup against most of their team (ie: could spam Knock Off all day lol).

I did test the team out a little bit, so here's some games with Scrafty action:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-323744228
I figure that Scrafty has favorable 1v1 matchups against all but Talon and Clef, so obviously I bring Gar and Rotom! Check out the Rock Tomb predicts though.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-323760585
6tennis offered to challenge me as the low ladder wasn't providing many good games. His team looks really scary but Scrafty can do work against all but Sableye and Talon, such as 1v1 Mamo, Greninja and (maybe) Serp. Scrafty does manage to beat the Serp thanks to it being a frailer variant, and gives me a guaranteed -1 against the last mon Talonflame, giving me my wincon. I figured the switch to Rotom against his Talon was too obvious and even if he did Brave Bird then he'd at least be at -1, right? idk it paid off.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-323736463
bit of an unorthodox team (hey I just started with a fresh alt!), I figured Scrafty could beat most of them except obviously Slurpuff, who would no doubt be Belly Drum + Unburden. I cripple all three mons with Scrafty which allowed me to win. YES FAKE OUT WAS A MISTAKE I forgot I had been Tricked, I replaced it with Rock Tomb after that match though.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-323740488
Burned Scrafty takes on three opponents. Thankfully Chansey has a buttload of HP so I was able to 1v1 it with Drain Punch.

edit: got to the final of our room tour with this but lost to raikoo's sample team lol

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Yup funny how all of these teams look the same haha :s

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rest
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Rest

Nice standard-issue Scrafty team, very similar to a lot of the teams you see here. I went with SpDef Bulk Up as it's the best and only good set that Scrafty can run - it tanks 80% of the meta and sets up Bulk Ups while sucking up status and clicking Rest and it's basically ridiculous. Scrafty's two big problems are with Flying-types and Fairy-types, so most of the rest of the team is dedicated to dealing with these threats. While Scrafty can hold it's own against most Electric-types, Mamoswine deals with Mega Salamence, which is a huge menace for Scrafty. It also reliably sets Stealth Rocks to restrict Talonflame and any other Flying-types that hinder Scrafty's setup and eventual sweep. Ferrothorn is this team's primary Fairy check: nice standard set, chucked Lum Berry on there to deal with Rotom-Wash because the rest of the team struggles with it, bar Scrafty itself. Soft checks Kangaskhan, resists everything yada yada have fun. Gengar is a no-brainer when looking at partners for Scrafty; it helps mightily with Kangaskhan, traps and kills most Fairies and softens stall a lot, allowing Scrafty to clean up. Went with Taunt Destiny Bond for utility against both stall and offense. SpDef Talonflame is my last Kang measure and my main method of dealing with Serperior, which can get out of hand really easily. It's also my main method of clearing out Fighting-types such as Mega Heracross and Conkeldurr that Gengar can't safely deal with. Rotom-Wash is a glue mon that full-stops Talonflame and switches in on para when Mamoswine can't afford to. Problem spots for this team include Mega Charizard Y, which outspeeds everything but Gengar and gets a nice big Fire Blast off which rolls over everything. Scrafty can't retaliate and Brave Bird doesn't do very much so you better say your prayers if rocks aren't up, or else dbond ;( A possible fix is to swap for a more offensive Talonflame to deal more with Brave Bird.

oops so my team and noved's are basically 1:1 except for mence/gar but mine came first I promise !

Last edited:
7.8 Too much Scrafty!

Scrafty @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Cresselia @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Lunar Dance

Mawile @ Mawilite
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpA
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 44 HP / 244 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Seeing as Scrafty is rather slow, I thought a form of Speed Control would be nice to have. Instead of giving Rotom Thunder Wave or Talonflame Tailwind I decided to give Cresselia Trick Room. The idea is to use Scrafty as a lead, using Knock Off to cripple the opponent's Pokémon. If the chance arises, switch to Cresselia which can set up Trick Room and give Scrafty a second chance in the fight (and a second Intimidation).

Mawile is the mega of choice because it functions well in Trick Room and outside of Trick Room, I've thought about 0 speed IVs and speed lowering nature but I didn't want to go all-in with Trick Room. I've also considered Mega Abomasnow, but again that's pretty all-in. Instead I went with Mega Gengar as a back-up Mega.

Rotom, Gengar and Talonflame weren't added with Trick Room in mind at all (although Rotom is rather slow so it can benefit from Trick Room and Talonflame doesn't care about Trick Room because priority Brave Bird). Mega Gengar and Talonflame are safety nets of sorts.

Last edited:
Hetoord I think a brave 0 speed iv mawile would be much better since it lets you hit aegislash in its blade form (when not in trick room).

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
One more day for team submissions! If you have a team and you haven't submitted it yet, don't miss out.

Scrafty @ leftovers
Careful Nature Ability: Shed Skin
252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 SpD
Drain Punch
Crunch
Rest
Knock Off/Bulk Up

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature Ability: Levitate
252 Sp Atk / 4 Sp Def / 252 Speed
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave
Protect
Psyshock/Psychic/Taunt

Rotom-H @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Modest Nature Ability: Levitate
252HP / 192 Sp Atk / 60 Spe
Overheat
Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
HP Ice
Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature Ability: Prankster
204 HP / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Moonblast/Giga Drain
Encore/Taunt
Worry Seed/Leech Seed
Protect

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature Ability: Intimidate
12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Thunder Wave/Dragon Dance
Taunt/Protect

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature Ability: Rough Skin
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dual Chop
Earthquake
Stone Edge / Rock Slide / Smack Down
Stealth Rock / Protect

Scrafty’s most popular set appears to be a Careful nature Shed Skin set With Drain Punch, Crunch and Rest. Bulk & survivability seem key. It’s most popular partners tend to be strong attackers, notably Mega Gengar & Mega Kangaskhan. Birds appear also to be popular. The most popular finishers of Scrafty are Fighting and Fairy type moves. Unsurprisingly this preys on its’ Dark typing.

My team focuses heavily on countering the Fighting and Fairy which don’t fear Scrafty’s moveset (bar Knock Off perhaps) as well Birds who would wall the fighting moves.

So on Scrafty I’ve gone for added utility of Knock Off rather than set-up potential of Bulk Up. The spread is off the site analysis with durability for survivability.

Gengar is meant to be a Fairy/Fighting trapper/killer that can deal with Sylveon, Garde & Togekiss. This is a brutal attacker which most of us have used on our teams for good reason.

Got this set mostly from the BSD sample team thread. Bird killer, Primary Garchomp check. The utility in Rotom-H is remarkable in this meta as I’ve chosen to omit Trick, Will o Wisp & Thunder Wave even from slashes.

Whimsicott is a typical annoyer/disrupter set, which is what Whimsi is good at. One attack to avoid taunt bait and Prankster-boosted status moves. A potentially extremely effective set.

Gyra forms potential FWG or double Dark core. Spreads intimidate, strong STAB with a finch chance on Waterfall, dragon/ground killer with Ice Fang

With Garchomp, Dual Chop for a STAB sub-breaking attack, ‘Chomp also doubles as a secondary bird check, status absorber doubles and Thundurus / Talonflame blocker with the inevitable Rock coverage. Choice items are a very tempting item to use on Chomp but I gave it Lum to give it a one-time status escape.

I'm pretty sure I've got all obvious issues covered....

Last edited:
Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Careful Nature Ability: Shed Skin
252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 SpD
Drain Punch
Crunch
Rest
Knock Off/Bulk Up
AV means no Rest or Bulk Up...guessing you made a mistake rather than you didn't know that. Either way, you should replace Rest w/ something that it can use like Ice Punch.

EDIT: Didn't even realize the quoting thing didn't work. I guess it doesn't really matter lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I fixed it, he just accidentally deleted the end of the first tag when he was cropping out everything but the Scrafty set.

Also a0161613 it isn't an importable if you aren't using the actual importable text format that PS uses. We need to be able to CP your team into the teambuilder if you win!

I fixed it, he just accidentally deleted the end of the first tag when he was cropping out everything but the Scrafty set.

Also a0161613 it isn't an importable if you aren't using the actual importable text format that PS uses. We need to be able to CP your team into the teambuilder if you win!
I'll have that fixed when I can next get on my laptop for PS!

Funny enough Omastar68 I added AV last minute and the compatibility came to mind as soon as I woke up. I was being a dunce on both counts.

Voting for cant say. I really like the perish trap duo and I feel scrafty actually works quite well with it. The rest of the team also has good synergy. Azumarill and gengar is always great and azumarill rotom-h and serperior form a pretty good water-fire-grass core.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I'm gonna vote for ethan06, even though I was really tempted to vote for aniravjain since his team is really similar to mine!

Ethan's team is tried and tested, and it's probably the only one where Scrafty has a central role, being the lone booster and aims to sweep. The team has actually been built with Scrafty as the focal point, and everything has been chosen to help Scrafty succeed, rather than most of the other teams here where Scrafty just sorta fits in. Once Talonflame, Sylveon and/or Azumarill have been dealt with, this Scrafty can do some serious damage to the opponent!

aniravjain

i like the idea of going more on the offensive with scrafty. my main issue with scrafty was its super shit offensive presence so going LO with HJK is pretty cool, especially with the trick room support from p2. Also Mega Gengar and the FWG core is nice as well. gengar is great in general and pretty nice to trap fairies scrafty doesnt like. and all the mons in the fwg core can deal with some pokemon that scare scrafty so thats p sweet too. looks like a solid team.

Even though my first instinct would be to vote for aniravjain as our teams are build around the similar idea of offensive Scrafty + Trick Room support, in the end I decided to vote for ethan06. Even though it's standard-issue (as the description says), it's an effective way to make Scrafty see actual play that doesn't rely on Trick Room being up. The use of Shed Skin is also quite unique, as most teams here went for Intimidate, but it makes a lot of sense. The rest of the team make Scrafty the main draw of the team.

Damn most of these teams are so similar. It's hard to pick just one...

My vote will go to NOVED. His team used Mega Mence which really interested me. Scrafty and Mega Mence happen to be decent partners for each other, Scrafty dealing with stuff like Aegi and Mega Mence dealing with Fighting types like non HP Ice Blazikens. Double Intimidate is really nice in a more physicallly oriented metagame too. I'm also a sucker for the FGW core he used and the final addition of Mamo makes for a solid team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)