Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Inkblot Why scarfed Gardevoir and not Gardevoirite? You'll lose a bit of speed but gain a great deal of muscle and some slightly improved defenses. Hyper Voice is available now and it's one of the best drawback-less spread moves available. The Choice Scarf is almost gimping it. Protect, Hyper Voice, Shadow Ball and Psyshock is all you need.

Instead of dual STAB on Zapdos, you'd be better off running Tailwind. Landorus-T would get more mileage out of Groundium-Z than an Earth Plate, as it not only gives you a nuke, you can use that nuke when you need a solid ground attack and don't want to hit Gardevoir or force Aegislash to put its shield up. If you have access to it, Sheer Force Landorus is also a valuable partner to the other three. Earth Power hits extremely hard, Grass Knot will easily dispatch bulky grounds, and it has access to a number of situational but decent coverage moves; Psychic and Sludge Wave among them. Otherwise, definitely go with Groundium-Z on Therian.

Goodstuffs are more than capable of reaching at least 50 with some luck, but if you have any big issue it's that you're not using them optimally. I'm not the best consultant on those EV spreads as my mindset is stuck inside a very specific kind of playstyle.

Pretty much same advice here too. Mega-gardevoir would definitely be good there. I'd run some speed control, Tailwind on Zapdos being an obvious choice. Lando and Gardevoir both appreciate it, and allows Gardevoir to run a fast Encore which is a big asset. Tailwind can also allow reallocation of some EVs to add bulk. I'd always have Wide Guard on Aegislash, but particularly in your team comp alongside a Lando that wants to be spamming EQ and Discharge Zapdos. Would also want to run Ground-Z on the Lando, although Ghost-Z on Aegislash is also worth a thought.

ReptoAbysmal NZtechfreak

Thank you for the advice! I will try these suggestions out and see if i have more luck. Mega-Gardevoir is also my favorite mega so it will be a great opportunity to use it! and i never really thought of using tailwind, as I have always been more of a attack first playstyle, but It will definitely be cool to give it a shot, and it will help train me for online battles! thanks again!

Ok I ended up losing at 117, so this is the official submission I guess. Here is the team:

Greninja @ Life Orb
Timid - 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Standard Ninja lead set. On average takes out 1.5 - 2 mons on his own. Especially once the Veterans show up with the Latios/as, Terrakion, the Psychics, etc.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant - 252 Attack / 252 HP / 4 Def
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch

Big shout out to the fellas a page back who recommended Superpower. Has saved my ass so many times. Eviolite Porygon (which used to be a nightmare for this team), Magnezone, Ferrothorn, etc. all get crushed by SP.

Garchomp ("Darkseid") @ Dragonium Z
Jolly - 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Chomp is great. Been my favorite Pokemon since I first saw him several gens ago. You have read all about how great he is so I won't bore you all.

Battle video here:

RZYG-WWWW-WWWE-HXRD

Ended up losing because I didn't switch my lead to Chomp to take a hit from Entei lead. It survived Surf with a sash, got a speed boost of flame charge, and I was in bad shape. Scizor finished him off but then Flygon (with potential flamethrower) forced me to switch to chomp who Z-Moved Flygon, then Mega Mence came out and Dragon Rushed Chomp. Scizor couldn't deal with Double-Edge.

Switching to Chomp in the beginning and having Ninja for the rest of the battle was definitely the right play.

I can post a pic for proof if the battle video doesn't do it.

Inkblot Tailwind is such a straightforward move that it's almost ridiculous for the effect it has. And Gardevoir will appreciate it most of all, especially if not lead, because many pokemon outspeed it that it could otherwise easily OHKO. Don't give it Focus Blast or Thunderbolt, though- the only damaging moves besides HV with any value to it are Shadow Ball and Psyshock.

Wide Guard on Aegislash will also provide some protection against anticipated Blizzards, another move that usually brings bad luck with it. You may also want Flash Cannon over Sacred Sword on Aegislash, especially if it's running max special offense. It'll do much more damage to rock or ice types, and it will make the inevitable Scientist teams between 30-49 easier to handle (murders two Aromatisse/Shiinotic sets and easily inflicts over 80% to the specially bulky versions.)

Speaking of Scientists, Landorus-T is a good user of Knock Off and can OHKO particular Ghost/Psychics by itself. It'll at least do you more good than Explosion, and is your best answer to the psychics with Levitate. I use Stone Edge extremely sparingly and usually not unless I'll also be using Gravity, so at the very least change it out for Rock Slide. You won't be using Rock Slide, anyway, save for a random Volcarona or Charizard before seeing which form it takes. Lastly, if you're not getting any mileage out of U-Turn, perhaps Protect for some really basic utility, or Superpower for a last turn OHKO on something weak to it?

Edit: average fella your fucking Bush Did 9/11 Gligar just got me my first master ball from the tourist lotto. If that isn't my game trying to tell me something I dunno what is

Last edited:
Has anyone tried something like a FEAR mon + focus sashed shedinja w/ protect, shadow sneak? Seems kinda dumb but also workable at the same time.

There's too much weather, priority, you name it. Shedinja has fallen a long way from gen 3. FEAR is still useful, though it's also fallen since last gen. However, what with the AI often wasting their Z-moves on attacks that would have OHKOd anyway, the downside of those nukes hitting through Protect is somewhat mitigated by the fact that the nukes aren't hitting the rest of your team. Losing your expendable FEAR to a Z-move is the more preferable outcome.

I've only done the required breeding, so I haven't formally tested it yet (waiting for triples to be a thing) but Togedemaru accomplishes everything Aron did last gen (save for being a Sunny Day user) and has a few more tools at its disposal.

Inkblot Why scarfed Gardevoir and not Gardevoirite? You'll lose a bit of speed but gain a great deal of muscle and some slightly improved defenses. Hyper Voice is available now and it's one of the best drawback-less spread moves available. The Choice Scarf is almost gimping it. Protect, Hyper Voice, Shadow Ball and Psyshock is all you need.

Instead of dual STAB on Zapdos, you'd be better off running Tailwind. Landorus-T would get more mileage out of Groundium-Z than an Earth Plate, as it not only gives you a nuke, you can use that nuke when you need a solid ground attack and don't want to hit Gardevoir or force Aegislash to put its shield up. If you have access to it, Sheer Force Landorus is also a valuable partner to the other three. Earth Power hits extremely hard, Grass Knot will easily dispatch bulky grounds, and it has access to a number of situational but decent coverage moves; Psychic and Sludge Wave among them. Otherwise, definitely go with Groundium-Z on Therian.

Goodstuffs are more than capable of reaching at least 50 with some luck, but if you have any big issue it's that you're not using them optimally. I'm not the best consultant on those EV spreads as my mindset is stuck inside a very specific kind of playstyle.
Pretty much same advice here too. Mega-gardevoir would definitely be good there. I'd run some speed control, Tailwind on Zapdos being an obvious choice. Lando and Gardevoir both appreciate it, and allows Gardevoir to run a fast Encore which is a big asset. Tailwind can also allow reallocation of some EVs to add bulk. I'd always have Wide Guard on Aegislash, but particularly in your team comp alongside a Lando that wants to be spamming EQ and Discharge Zapdos. Would also want to run Ground-Z on the Lando, although Ghost-Z on Aegislash is also worth a thought.
Inkblot Tailwind is such a straightforward move that it's almost ridiculous for the effect it has. And Gardevoir will appreciate it most of all, especially if not lead, because many pokemon outspeed it that it could otherwise easily OHKO. Don't give it Focus Blast or Thunderbolt, though- the only damaging moves besides HV with any value to it are Shadow Ball and Psyshock.

Wide Guard on Aegislash will also provide some protection against anticipated Blizzards, another move that usually brings bad luck with it. You may also want Flash Cannon over Sacred Sword on Aegislash, especially if it's running max special offense. It'll do much more damage to rock or ice types, and it will make the inevitable Scientist teams between 30-49 easier to handle (murders two Aromatisse/Shiinotic sets and easily inflicts over 80% to the specially bulky versions.)

Speaking of Scientists, Landorus-T is a good user of Knock Off and can OHKO particular Ghost/Psychics by itself. It'll at least do you more good than Explosion, and is your best answer to the psychics with Levitate. I use Stone Edge extremely sparingly and usually not unless I'll also be using Gravity, so at the very least change it out for Rock Slide. You won't be using Rock Slide, anyway, save for a random Volcarona or Charizard before seeing which form it takes. Lastly, if you're not getting any mileage out of U-Turn, perhaps Protect for some really basic utility, or Superpower for a last turn OHKO on something weak to it?

Edit: average fella your fucking Bush Did 9/11 Gligar just got me my first master ball from the tourist lotto. If that isn't my game trying to tell me something I dunno what is

thank you both for all the help! I really think this will make things a lot easier for me. I'll definitely give these changes a shot! also quoting just to have these all in one place where i can check back later!

Also quick question, what should i replace on Aegislash for wide guard?

Aegislash doubles setup is often pretty standard, King Shield, Wide Guard, generally fill with double special stabs, flash cannon + shadow sneak, or you can go shadow sneak + sacred sword if you rather hit phisical side and defensive setuppers but that really leaves you open to intimidaters and burns.

Aegislash doubles setup is often pretty standard, King Shield, Wide Guard, generally fill with double special stabs, flash cannon + shadow sneak, or you can go shadow sneak + sacred sword if you rather hit phisical side and defensive setuppers but that really leaves you open to intimidaters and burns.
Flash Cannon and Shadow *Ball*, I think you mean?

Back after a long break with a new team. I'm currently at a streak of 50 so I'm quite happy with it. I partially used it in a previous streak which ended at 53 due to bad hax and poor plays on my part. I don't count that streak though as I started using the team at battle 27 so it was technically only 26 battles so 50 is this team's current longest. No videos yet as I haven't gotten far enough to be leader board eligible or really had anything worth saving excluding the 2 battles against Blue but I always save boss battles anyway.

Togedemaru (エミー Amy, F) @ Berry Juice
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sturdy
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
EVs: None
Moves:
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Spiky Shield
- Endeavor

My left hand lead. FEAR Togedemaru. I've never used a FEAR Pokemon before but wanted to give it a try. Togedemaru over Aron due to a few moves it can get that Aron can't, namely Spiky Shield, Encore and Fake Out. Fake Out for ensuring both my Pokemon survive and get Trick Room up the first turn outside of crits or flinching which has so far only happened once in 70+ battles, Spiky Shield over Protect because it does the exact same thing with the extra damage bonus against physical attackers. Encore is to lock Pokemon into useless moves or to stop them attacking completely with Aromatisse's Disable (I commonly do this with Ghost types which Togedemaru obviously can't touch). No EVs because it's a FEAR Pokemon but flawless IVs because I'm the sort of person who has to have perfect IV Pokemon. Nicknamed after Amy Rose from the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

Aromatisse (ユガ Yuga, M) @ Lum Berry
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Aroma Veil
IVs: 31/X/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252/0/77/0/181/0
Moves:
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Trick Room
- Disable

My right hand lead. My choice of Trick Room setter, chosen because of his ability Aroma Veil which blocks Taunt, Cursed Body and other annoying statuses which would otherwise prevent me setting up Trick Room. So far I've only failed to get Trick Room up due to Fake Out flinching and one unlucky Iron Head flinch. Protect and Trick Room are obvious while Dazzling Gleam is used to KO Pokemon Togedemaru weakens with Endeavor. I've had several battles where Togedemaru and Aromatisse managed to wipe out the opponent's team on their own. Disable may seem like an odd choice but it pairs very nicely with Togedemaru's Encore and I used to have a lot of fun using an Encore/Disable team in Maison Triples back in the day. It also helps to stop some Pokemon from taking out Togedemaru with priority moves with Aromatisse disabling the move while Togedemaru protects on it. The nature choice and EV spread is the same as JustinTR's 569 streak Aromatisse which was EVd to live Sludge Bombs from Mega Gengar which would be extremely difficult to deal with if I didn't get Trick Room up. Lum Berry for confusion and the unlucky freeze hax which I've had lately (including a double turn one freeze from Blizzard). Nicknamed after Yuga, the villain from The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Mudsdale (ガンパウダー Gunpowder, M) @ Assault Vest
Nature: Brave
Ability: Stamina
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/0
EVs: 252/252/6/0/0/0
Moves:
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide

Backup 1. The physical attacker. I had a lot of trouble deciding on a physical attacker for this team. I originally considered using a Mega Pokemon but none of them appealed to me so I looked at other Pokemon. I decided on Mudsdale because he's slow, has good attack and defences, and pretty good coverage so he felt like a good fit for the team. Brave with max attack to KO stuff and max HP to increase his survivability. Stamina for the ability as his other abilities are nowhere near as good. Heavy Slam and Close Combat are high power moves coming from Mudsdale, Rock Slide is for coverage and Earthquake is the obvious STAB move. I considered using other Ground type moves instead but High Horse Power has a chance to miss and Stomping Tantrum is too weak so I stuck with Earthquake which goes well with Vikavolt. Assault Vest to increase his special defence although Grass Knot is still an OHKO (at least coming from special Decidueye and Protean Greninja). Nicknamed after Ichabod Crane's horse in the Sleepy Hollow film.

Vikavolt (スタルチュラ Stalchula (Skulltula), M) @ Bugium-Z
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Levitate
IVs: 31/X/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252/0/0/252/6/0
Moves:
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz (Savage Spinout)
- Protect
- Hidden Power (Ice)

Backup 2. The special attacker. Like with Mudsdale I had trouble deciding on what special attacker I wanted to use for my team. In the end I chose Vikavolt because of its massive special attack and pitiful speed. Thunderbolt and Bug Buzz for STAB, HP Ice for coverage and Protect for scouting, getting Trick Room back up etc. I chose Bugium-Z over Electrium-Z because of Ground types as I had problems with Normal types when my previous team's Mimikyu had Ghostium-Z over Fairium-Z and didn't want a repeat of that. Quiet nature and max special attack EVs for maximum power. HP for more survivability. Nicknamed after Skulltulas from The Legend of Zelda series.

Like in the SM Tree, it's taken awhile to get going in USUM's Tree. I brought over my old team from Moon to use but I could never get as far as I did before, I couldn't even reach 50 let alone 110 again. Even giving Mimikyu Mimikium-Z didn't help so I retired the team and started planning a new one. I went through numerous ideas, none ever reaching the Tree, and ended up just using random Pokemon not expecting to get far. I didn't. I haven't tried Singles as I'm not very good at it and don't enjoy it anyway but I did give Multis a go. Furthest I got was 42 (twice) losing because of Colress making dumb decisions and unfortunate crit hax against me the first time. Both times I partnered up with Colress using Adaptability Normalium-Z Porygon-Z and Mega Metagross while I used Dusk Lycanroc both times and Mega Sableye in one streak and Mega Lopunny in another.

After losing Multi twice I decided to go back to Doubles. After reading that Togedemaru is now the best FEAR Pokemon to use I decided to give it a go and see how far I could get. That was last year so it's taken me a long time to finally get round to playing again. Deciding on what Pokemon to use was hard. Togedemaru was obvious and Aromatisse is my favourite Trick Room setter so those 2 were easy but picking backups, not so much. I eventually settled on Vikavolt because of its high special attack and low speed, and because I'd never used one before. Mudsdale I chose for two reasons, one because of its stats (good physical attack, good defences and terrible speed), the other reason was because I wanted to use a Pokemon that hadn't been on the leader board yet. After browsing through it and not seeing Mudsdale I chose him. Obviously I am now aware he is on the leader board (twice) thanks to a Ctrl+F search which I couldn't do before, but I decided to keep him anyway as I do really like Mudsdale as a Pokemon.

Dual Fake Out and flinch leads. These are obviously a problem as they pretty much guarantee I won't be getting Trick Room up turn one. I usually double Protect when both opponents can know Fake Out to prevent taking damage but that always means I can't Fake Out myself meaning Togedemaru will almost always end up getting hit at least once. Iron Head users and Pokemon with Rock Slide also fall into this category.

Mold Breaker. Can hit through Sturdy and Taunt through Aroma Veil. Thankfully the game tells you when a Pokemon has this ability so it's less of an issue but I have still lost Togedemaru to it (due to me not paying attention).

Opposing Trick Room setters. These were very threatening with my old team which was built around speed but now they're not threatening but they are extremely annoying as they keep taking my Trick Room down forcing me to waste a turn getting it back up.

Alolan Marowak and Magnezone. Not problems for Mudsdale but problems for everyone else. Both these Pokemon completely wall Aromatisse and Vikavolt with neither being able to hit them for even neutral damage (Marowak can be hit with Thunderbolt provided it doesn't have Lightningrod which isn't worth the risk) while Togedemaru can't touch Marowak at all outside of Spiky Shield. Magnezone can at least be dispatched with Endeavor and Dazzling Gleam so it's less of a problem. I've considered giving Vikavolt Mud Shot for these Pokemon but Mud Shot is pretty weak and would be very situational, and Mudsdale has Earthquake to deal with them anyway.

Dual Ghost type leads. Togedemaru can't do anything which makes her useless. I don't like risking the switch so I usually Spiky Shield and set up Trick Room, then Encore-Disable both of them so it's safe to switch but that's not really ideal. It does work most of the time though.

Rough Skin, Iron Barbs, Rocky Helmet, Flame Body and Jaboca Berry. These can all be issues for Togedemaru breaking Sturdy rendering her useless.

Priority Moves. These ignore Trick Room and can easily KO Togedemaru. I have scouted these with Spiky Shield and Disabled them but that doesn't always work and almost always means I have to lose my Berry Juice or be dropped to 1HP to do this.

Grass Knot. Not even Assault Vest can Protect Mudsdale from this.

Quick Claw. Ignores Trick Room and is just a cheap item in general.

Overall I'm having a blast with this team. Makes me wish I'd tried FEAR before now.

Last edited:
For Knowledge, Stomping Tantrum has basically same power as Earthquake on one target. It's less weak than you'd think.

I'd definitely recommending it if you feel the forced protects when not paired with Vikavolt are a problem.

Comparison:
252+ Atk Mudsdale Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Aggron-Mega: 49-60 (27.6 - 33.8%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mudsdale Stomping Tantrum vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Aggron-Mega: 49-60 (27.6 - 33.8%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO

(also, since when does Aggron-3 have Dragon Rush °_° )

Hey guys, first post here but thought I'd share a team I've had some good success with. (I've been lurking in this thread for a while, it's great to read, I've shamelessly stolen some of the sets posted here and they've been really awesome to use). I'm a novice compared to a lot of folks here, I only really got into the Battle Tree when I started playing USUM, prior to that I'd partake in some Wi-Fi battles and such but Battle Tree feels like a whole different game.

So here, it is, Team Kangtana Finiwak (I guess...? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). Currently at an ongoing doubles streak of 150 wins.

Team Details
So I've really enjoyed some of the new mons they added in SM, namely the three I'm using here, Kartana, Fini and A-Marowak. Combined with the trusty Mega-Momma (despite her nerfs this gen), they've provided a fun team that's got me to 150 wins and climbing, despite some close battles due to my own inexperience in Battle Tree and the usual hax shenanigans. Who doesn't love Bright Powder?

View attachment 95482
Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy -> Parental Bond
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Fake Out
- Return
- Crunch
- Protect

Absolutely standard Mega-Kang I bred back sometime in ORAS. Return over Double-Edge because... I never gave her that egg move. It still hits decently hard despite the nerfs and the lack of power compared to DE. I'm running Crunch over Sucker Punch mostly because I'm not confident enough in my own knowledge of sets to predict the AI yet, and it's come in handy to not be walled by certain Ghost types. I'm going to try running Sucker Punch and see how it pans out in comparison, I'm almost positive it will be better but I just kept winning games so haven't wanted to change things up too much! Could probably investigate into a better EV spread, perhaps even change out to Adamant for the added power. Anyway, most of the time she just comes in Turn 1 and hits Fake Out, which gives the next member of the team some room...

View attachment 95483
Kartana @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 SpD / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Protect

Ah Kartana, absolutely my favourite Ultra Beast. With Kangaskhan providing Fake Out support, this allows Kartana to just go in, choose a target, more often than not, pick up a KO, and get that beautiful Beast Boost, which quickly steamrolls into it becoming an almost unstoppable force.
There's not much to say about him! Smart Strike is amazing because it can't miss too. Focus Sash is the obvious choice due to it's frailty, and hanging on with 1 HP is great for Protect baiting. Of course, fire types are a threat, burns are a threat, and he really doesn't appreciate being paralysed or confused. That's where the next two team members come in.

View attachment 95484

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 188 SpA / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
- Protect

This is literally the same Fini from Josh C's Lopunny team, shamelessly stolen... Only difference is I'm running Ice Beam over Taunt. I just went with Ice Beam for more coverage, but I guess I could have Taunt or another more useful move on here, I'm open to suggestions. Misty Surge is amazing and prevention of all kinds of hax is wonderful in the Battle Tree which seems to love throwing Confuse Ray and Thunder Wave at you. She is partnered excellently by the last team member.

View attachment 95485
A-Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 4 Def / 68 SpD / 4 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Earthquake
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

EV spread just stolen from the Smogon VGC set page, I'm not exactly sure what the EVs do but the added bulk is nice and she's surprised me a few times by living hits I thought she wouldn't. EQ is just super strong and I needed some Ground coverage, Shadow Bone for Ghost STAB, and Flare Blitz as the Fire STAB move for its immense power. Lightning Rod is a great ability to support Fini, as long as Marowak is on the field, Fini isn't taking Electric attacks which is a huge boost to her. Without Fini around, she absorbs T-Waves which is also great. Adamant nature just for the power, but I'm sure with her low speed there could be a better one. I'm running a max speed IV on this gal, just because that's how she was bred, she's still slow as heck but I really need to investigate just how much speed is required, what she can outspeed and what she can't. She's useful in Trick Room (although most TR teams I've encountered don't get to set it up thankfully) thanks to Shadow Bone being strong against a lot of TR mons, along with her low speed. With the two leads being weak to Fighting, she's also a great switch in for either.

This team was just a good base to start with, so some adjustments to EVs and moves are definitely in my mind, I just got carried away with the streak, was surprised it seemed to work so well.

Battle Videos, playing on Ultra Sun (didn't particularly think of saving them so here's some random ones, hopefully I can get some better ones if the streak continues.)
Battle 150 vs Wally
WPJW-WWWW-WWWD-96VK

Wally gets 4-0'd, not really much of a challenging battle, went for the Smart Strike into Altaria because it was possible Mega, turned out it was and Kartana gets the OHKO, while Kang uses Fake Out on Magnezone to break potential Sturdy. From there it's just an easy win, beast boost coming through.

Battle 96 vs Scientist Robyn
KLQW-WWWW-WWWD-99PA

Potential trick room team getting shutdown in 4 turns, Slowking is the easiest TR setter to face 'cause it just dies to Leaf Blade!

Battle 64 vs Lass Samantha
U3LG-WWWW-WWWD-9M2X

Just an example of how effective Lightning Rod can be, absorbing Zapdos' Thunder. Kartana just sweeps after getting the boost from KOing Regice. Regigigas is powerless and Cobalion just gets OHKO by Sacred Sword.

Not the greatest videos but hopefully if the streak continues I can get some better ones.

So yeah as a relative newbie to the Tree I'm quite pleased with this streak, I'll keep going and see how far it can go! I'm sure there's a lot of things I can change to make things better so would love to hear some.
So the above team came to an unfortunate end at battle 161. The last replay I have is battle 160 (I turned my DS off in frustration at the loss >_>, but essentially it came down to me playing recklessly against a Heatran, losing Kartana to a burn, followed by missing several attacks against a Lax Incense holding Latios... Was too much of an uphill battle after that. I can't even remember what the last 2 mons were but they finished off Kang, Fini and Wak with no problem.

Here's the replay of my last winning battle, so let's just call that a finished streak of 160 wins in Super Doubles.
SR7W-WWWW-WWWE-MUBM

With that, I went back to the drawing board and decided to try again with a new team. After some trial and error (I tried several different things, Chandelure, M-Medicham, tons of different things with varying success), I settled on the team below which I really wasn't sure of at first but proved to be pretty damn good.

So here's a finished streak of 256 wins in Super Doubles.

Team Details
Team Wilevile? I'm bad at names.

303-m.png

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate -> Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 Def (I'm not 100% sure this is exactly right)
Nature: Adamant
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

I've tried a lot of Mega Evolutions in the tree, obviously Kang with the last team, Scizor, Medicham which I both had moderate success with, but I decided to try Mawile and it proved to be fantastic during this streak. He was bred and EV trained in ORAS so I can't remember exactly what these EVs do, but it proved to make Mawile quite tanky, he wasn't going to outspeed much anyway. Standard moveset, Play Rough being 90% accuracy is one of the worst aspects of this whole team and it has missed a few times when I really needed it to hit (e.g. the loss where Play Rough missed on M-Sceptile). Aside from that, he hits like a truck and often just deletes the other side of the field, while having great resistances and being decently tanky along with it. Sucker Punch is fantastic and hits incredibly hard with Mawile's huge attack power.

461-f.png

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Weavile is fast, frail and great for baiting with her Focus Sash and Protect. Knock Off is great for removing items, Leftovers, Sitrus Berries on bulky mons, all manner of things,, while also being a fairly hard hitting Dark STAB. Ice Punch reliably KOs 4x weak mons. The fast Fake Out is amazing and stops threats to Mawile turn 1, letting Mawile often pick up a KO off the bat. Full attack and speed investment just to be as fast and hit as hard as possible (she isn't living hits anyway).

788.png

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 188 SpA / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Again the same Tapu Fini from Josh C's Lopunny team. I feel like I can't play in the Battle Tree anymore without Misty Surge, it's amazing. Fini is quite bulky and switches in to Fire attacks for the two leads, provides the Misty Terrain, while still being decently offensive. Just an amazing Pokemon all around.

645.png

Landorus-I @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Timid
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Psychic
- Protect

Was so lucky getting this with a Timid nature. Immune to Electric hits that target Fini, swiftly removes most Fire and Electric types from the field with Earth Power, Sludge Bomb picks up KOs quite well on Grass and Fairies, didn't have a decent Hidden Power of course so just went with Psychic for the last option, wasn't used often but hits stuff like Crobat which is nice.

Issues I encountered;

I'd probably consider running Grass Knot in the next streak, the likes of M-Swampert were usually just gradually worn down while baiting EQs and Waterfalls with Lando/Fini respectively, but would be much more easily dealt with by Grass Knot which I'd put on either Fini or Landorus (I think they can both learn it?).

Not having a never-miss move (such as Kartana's Smart Strike), I had an almost endless battle against a Cresselia that spammed Double Team and was left 1v1 with Mawile. Luckily the only "offensive" move it had was Toxic so it just ended up in a PP war that Mawile won, but a nuisance nonetheless.

Fire teams could be scary but Lando and Fini dealt with them sufficiently, I was never afraid to pull a double switch, I could always bring Weavile back in and Fake Out. Scarf Eruption users such as Typhlosion and Entei could be Sucker Punched by Mawile to reduce the damage.

Play Rough's accuracy is a pain, I really wish there was a 100% accurate, decent hitting physical Fairy move, it's missed more times than I would have liked.

Videos (including the loss this time)

All videos on Ultra Sun.

Battle 257 (loss) vs Ace Trainer Raz (Greninja, Ribombee, Talonflame, M-Sceptile)
XDAG-WWWW-WWWE-MPF3

Disappointed in how this went, I misplayed certainly letting Weavile die to Quick Attack from Talonflame when I could have just switched something to take it and brought Weavile back in later for another Fake Out. Ultimately though, I missed a Play Rough on M-Sceptile which would have prevented the loss had it landed. M-Sceptile goes down to an Ice Beam from Fini, but by the end it's down to whether Greninja lands its Blizzard and sadly it hits both Lando and Fini. I should have protected one of them perhaps, in hindsight. Could even have taken down Greninja first and possibly killed Sceptile with Landorus' Sludge Bomb. All in all a disaster :(

Battle 230 vs Cynthia (Togekiss, Lucario, Garchomp, Milotic)
LCVG-WWWW-WWWE-MTJH

Relatively easy battle, aside from Play Rough miss and Air Slash flinch from Togekiss. Double Protect to scout Garchomp's set, it was slower than Togekiss so Weavile can safely KO with Ice Punch without it being much of a threat.

Battle 205 vs Rising Star Dolly (M-Swampert, Armaldo, Kingdra, Ludicolo)
MRCG-WWWW-WWWE-MTU9

Rain teams can be a pain, M-Swampert is difficult to play against, luckily I haven't encountered too many, but this was simply a case of wearing it down with Fini and Weavile, the rest of the team wasn't difficult to go up against.

Battle 121 vs Veteran Demiathena (Thundurus, Azelf, Zapdos, Virizion)
8XQG-WWWW-WWWE-MU3U

This battle just showcases the two lead Pokemon running riot. Azelf gets off one Thunderbolt, Sucker Punch just destroys it, Focus Sash turn 1, KO turn 2. Weavile OHKO's Thundurus with Ice Punch and almost does the same to Zapdos, Virizion is OHKO'd by Play Rough.

I have a ton more videos this time round, this is just a random selection, I'll likely go through them all and find some more interesting battles and edit them into this post.

So that's the doubles streak, I'm thinking of having a go at Singles next, or trying some Multi with an AI partner now I've scouted a few good ones.

Last edited:
*sigh* my semi-original team of Oranguru/Hariyama/Drampa/M-Mawile failed yet again in its latest effort to creep closer to its original milestone, but I lost on battle 171, which is moderately better than the previous attempts which usually met a nightmare lead combo a lot sooner.

I encountered a firefighter leading Palossand and Mega Slowbro, which meant Hariyama was not going to accomplish dick before being slain. That said, I made the risky call of sacking it to bring in Drampa safely for the outspeed & OHKO on Slowbro, only to find Goodra3 immediately taking its place. Had I risked the switch and taken the hit, I would have had a much better alternative to slaying it and Palossand; as it stood, I would learn I used Devastating Drake too soon. By the time Mawile came out, TR was gone and Goodra had set rain. Intimidate wasn't enough to stop a Gyarados3 from helping it pick off what was left of Drampa and then finishing off my Mawile. Had I switched Drampa for Hariyama, I'd have needed Palossand to target Oranguru (which it did) because surviving both a Psychic and an Earth Power had terrible odds even without a SpD drop.

I had spent the past couple days re-EVing a bunch of really old spreads and was aleady getting pretty bored with the team (battles 101-155 were all done yesterday) so it's about damn time for something new. No change to my milestone though, so bummer nonetheless. I was having good luck with avoiding Grimsley, not to mention lead Escavaliers or combos that forced me to sack Hariyama just to prevent a probable Oranguru slaying.

Eh, lead Escavaliers are just inherently threatening to most TR teams. They're geared to rip giant chunks out of any psychic or fairy and are slow enough (Set3 especially) to get the jump on a lot of your standard goodstuffs in spite of maintaining lowest possible speed. Even the blubbery Rhyperior can only speed tie with Escavalier4, the faster of the two. Minimalist Drampa only speed ties with #3 and that Life Orb ensures a OHKO if it moves first. It takes something like Dusclops and FEAR, or Torkoal or Camerupt to not only set TR with relatively no fuss, but also guarantee outspeeding and killing it. Unlike Shiinotic who's a pain primarily to base 50s and higher, of which I have many, Escavalier has the capacity to actually kill things by itself. Much of the time, when it leads, you have to temporarily abandon Plan A and do what you can to kill it without its partner throwing its own wrench into the works. And we all prefer the path of least resistance :P

I'm too hesistant, if not outright indignant to say I'm afraid of the bugger, let alone terrified- especially since unlike other enemies, it's relatively hax-free; it's slow and it's strong, with only one really exploitable weakness. No Quick Claw or Brightpower or annoying abilities like Incinefucker4. Set4 has Swagger but I've seen it use it maybe once. So I just try to plan for it and hope it doesn't pair with something equally dangerous.

Hi there!

I am completely not into the Battle Tree and I have not played it so far, but I have a question regarding the Pokemon EV Splits here.

This is also referring to the battle maison, as I also have seen it there often, but just posting it here as Battle Tree is more recent.

I simply dont get why SO MANY pokemon here have an EV Split where they get 4 EV shifted on a *random* stat like Def or SDef for example.

Yes now you may say: Aaaah well noob! This is because with this 1 higher Stat the Pokemon has a special advantage.

And yes I know this is the case for all those Speed Tie things and for Aegislash its often

KP 252, ATK 252, Init 4

which makes sense. This way it can act faster than other Pokemon with the same Init Base, but KP + Atk is maxed.

And yes I know that sometimes the dudes here calculated that if a Pokemon gets like 10 additional Def, then they may survive the Attack XY so they do additional 40 EVs in Def.

But in this case I really cannot imagine that this is linked to the reason above. I have seen so many Pokemon here where it applies and I wonder why it is this way.

Examples:

GG Units Evolite Chansey:

EVs: 4 HP / 244 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Well the HP EVs = +1 HP is for what? I mean it cannot have Leftovers ... and I really doubt, that +1 HP is making it survive a special move from a special threat. And the 4 SpD are also so random, I really doubt that this single +1 in SDef is making it survive something which it had not before.

I would have imagined for an Evolite Chansey 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD (in this case Init)

Next example:

SilverLinings Mega Salamence:

EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 196 SpD / 20 Spe

Yes the 20 Spe is definetly to be faster than someone, the 36 Atk is definetly to KO some foes with an attack which it would have not before. But again: What are these 4 Def ? I mean it's a sweeper, if you have additional 1 Stat Point to share then why this random +1 for Def ?

Those are just 2 but I have seen something like this on very much pokemon and I simply can't explain it Oo

Yes the 20 Spe is definetly to be faster than someone, the 36 Atk is definetly to KO some foes with an attack which it would have not before. But again: What are these 4 Def ? I mean it's a sweeper, if you have additional 1 Stat Point to share then why this random +1 for Def ?
To answer this question, it's simple, I think. You can put the 4 Evs into special or physical defense because you can't improve the other stats as it would require 8 EVs. Physical defense is more preferred in order to survive priority moves, which are mostly physical, better,

So you mean this is connected to the fact that the Level of the Pokes will be 50 and not 100 ? And the additional EVs would not have made any difference then to the other ones. Yeah that might be possible!

But wait now that I think of it:

If you need 8 EVs to change a stat by 1 at lvl 50, then only 4 EVs in Def are also a waste ... I mean there you would also have required 8 EVs, wouldnt it ? Oô

No, thats because the IVs are on 31, an uneven number, and by the way the stats are calculated, 4 EVs give one point more.
If you have for example 30 IVs, then you need 8 EVs to get one status point more on level 50.

If you need 8 EVs to change a stat by 1 at lvl 50, then only 4 EVs in Def are also a waste ... I mean there you would also have required 8 EVs, wouldnt it ? Oô
No, if a stat such as hp, speed, etc. is untouched by EVs, then you would only need 4 EVs to raise the stat of your choice by one. After that, you will always need 8 EVs to raise that stat. And yes, this is connected to the fact that the level of the Pkm are on 50.

So the first point which you level up with EVs only takes 4 EVs but after this first +1 you need 8 EVs for a +1. Ok as I was never used to the mechanics at level 50 I am asking myself if this has already been in the last generations (Gen IV Battle Tower / Gen V Battle Subway) like this (that you get +1 with 4 EVs at the start), because I never saw anything like this ... it was always used to do 4 + 252 + 252 or something like that and it was also Level-50-Combatting

Also I don't get one of the strong teams namely the one by Josh C. and his Trick Room Oranguru:

Normally I had TR Teams in the battle challenges which were totally opted for min defense. But his Team members kind of slow outside of TR and even kind of slow inside of TR. Magnezone is completely not down to its minimum Speed and therefore slow in TR, being slow in TR nevertheless as it is not too slow outside of it. Also Mimigma is fully opted for Init, wouldn't that be bad in TR? I can understand that Mimigma is a little bit outstanding here, but why is Magnezone so medium slow? I mean you could say *to kill special enemies outside of TR* but with that argumentation ANY TR team would have had only medium-speed members in the past. But in my eyes you do the complete slow way or the complete fast O: Can anyone tell why its like that?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)