Other Metagames [BH] One Stall to Rule Them All (Peak #1, 95.1% GXE)

morogrim

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(Created by SW)

i. Introduction

ii. Teambuilding

iii. In-Depth Analysis

iv. Threat List & Match-ups

v. Importable & Replays

vi. Conclusions

vii. Shoutouts

Hello everybody and welcome to this very special RMT, featuring the team notorious for breaking the ladder in gen7. This gen, I was determined to accomplish what I had failed to do in gen6: breaking 2000 elo. After OMPL, I decided to give the ladder a go in a meta which I thought was favorable for stall. Spoiler alert: It worked.

Update: Managed to peak up to 2005, breaking the record for highest BH ladder team for the elo system so far.

After failing to break 2k elo in gen6 due to OMPL, I decided to build a team similar in style to the one I had last gen. I soon found out that pivot balance simply won't be able to get me where I want to go in a meta where offensive threats such as Stakeout and Primal Groudon are banned. I then decided to create a stall team that, in addition to having a good matchup against HO and Balance, also beats the common stall archetype.
The way I built this team was a bit unorthodox; instead of adding team members one by one I built the team around 2 main cores:

Defensive Backbone & Hazards: The "main" core of this team includes the standard Registeel + Giratina core along with Mega Audino. This core is usually my go-to switchin for most threats and together, they are in charge of getting hazards up on the opponent's side and keeping it off of theirs. Registeel and Giratina have a nice defensive synergy and cover eachother's weaknesses very well, and Mega Audino holds them together as the Core Enforcer switchin.

Secondary/Emergency Checks: This core takes care of specific threats that can usually break my main core. I try to keep this core healthy especially in matchups against HO as this core is the one that usually wins me the game at the end. The Unaware Pgre + FC Chansey combination takes care of most setup sweepers, and Scarf Imposter cleans up whatever else remains.

Registeel @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Poison Fang
- Core Enforcer
- Rapid Spin

Roles: Special and -ate switchin, hazard removal, blanket pivot

Improofed by: Mega Audino, Giratina (if Comatose)

Registeel acts as a blanket check to almost all special attackers in the metagame, and -ate users. The combination of Poison Fang + Core Enforcer allows it to be able to remove hazards against almost any spin-blocker (suppressing PH with CE or threatening to inflict Toxic status with Poison Fang). Core Enforcer additionally suppresses key abilities such as Aerilate, Refrigerate, and Poison Heal, forcing offensive threats out and dealing some chip damage in the process. RegenVest gives Registeel maximum special bulk while also being able to recover health, and Speed is minimized to give Registeel the highest chance to pivot out last.

Giratina @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 172 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Poison Fang
- Core Enforcer
- Shore Up

Roles: Physical switchin, spin-blocker, Shedinja check, Trick switchin, status absorber

Improofed by: Mega Audino
Giratina is my blanket switchin to most physical attackers (most notably, Regigigas). Thanks to its Ghost typing, Giratina also acts as a Shedinja check and a spin-blocker. By holding Griseous Orb, Giratina takes reduced damage from Knock Off and is also immune to Trick, making it a switchin to threats such as PH Mega Gyarados and PH Mega Tyranitar. Dealing 20% more damage with Core Enforcer has an additional benefit which allows Giratina to 2HKO other Giratina after a bit of chip damage. Comatose is chosen for Giratina's ability to allow it to absorb status from spinners and PH sweepers, but abilities such as Mold Breaker, Fur Coat, and Magic Bounce are also viable (If Mold Breaker is chosen, Toxic should be used over Poison Fang to have a higher chance of badly poisoning opponents without the fear of getting bounced). The combination of Poison Fang + Core Enforcer allow Giratina to set up rocks against almost any Magic Bounce user (badly poisoning Fairies and suppressing others), and Shore Up gives Giratina increased longevity. Shore Up is chosen for Giratina specifically because Giratina hates Sandstorm the most among the team members as it has no Safety Goggles and would take more chip damage from the sand. A Relaxed nature with 0 Speed IVs and 172 EVs allow it to hit 205 Speed, which is the minimum Speed required to outspeed neutral base 90s at -1. The Speed investment also allows it to potentially outspeed and 2HKO minimum Speed Giratina on the switchin.

Audino-Mega @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Core Enforcer

Roles: Dragon switchin, status absorber, blanket mixed wall, utility pressure

Improofed by: Itself

Mega Audino is my switchin to Core Enforcer, which both Registeel and Giratina hate switching into. Thanks to its fantastic typing, Mega Audino can serve as a blanket check to many threats and punish them if they choose to stay in by using the appropriate utility move. Will-O-Wisp is used to wear down opposing Steel types which are immune to Toxic, and to also cripple physical attackers such as Mega Mewtwo X to enable my other team members to easily switch into them. Knock Off removes key items such as Choice Specs/Band, plates, Leftovers, and Rocky Helmet. Additionally, the combination of WoW + Koff can be used to defeat Lumcycle Shedinja. Core Enforcer suppresses abilities such as Magic Bounce, Poison Heal, and Unburden, allowing Mega Audino to set Spikes, force PH users out, and counter sweep with Scarf Imposter, respectively. Speed is minimized on Mega Audino to maximize the chances of Core Enforcer suppressing the opponent's ability and to give Mega Audino the highest chance of punishing pivoting from the opponent.

Kyogre-Primal @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Core Enforcer
- Purify
- Roost

Roles: Setup check, Fairy PH destroyer

Improofed by: Itself, Mega Audino, Chansey

Pgre is my main answer to setup sweepers such as Triage Mega Rayquaza, PH Xerneas, and PH Pgre. Thanks to its typing, it also serves as a check to Power Trip + Sunsteel Strike sweepers. It can also act as an emergency check to powerful Contrary sweepers such as Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Rayquaza, and to some extent Mega Sceptile, but it is preferred not to switch into these threats as Pgre could potentially get 2HKOed in some situations. Spectral Thief and Core Enforcer allow Pgre to counteract sweepers by stealing their boosts and/or suppressing their abilities, Purify allows Pgre to completely nullify Fairy PH users (after their Toxic Orb is removed by Mega Audino), and Roost is for recovery. Maximum Speed with a Bold nature is chosen to be able to outspeed up to positive base 140s after stealing +1 Speed while doing maximum damage with Core Enforcer.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Fur Coat
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Topsy-Turvy
- Wish
- Slack Off

Roles: Complimentary -ate check, Normalize check, Contrary check (situational), Wish passer

Improofed by: Everybody (Mega Audino can punish the hardest though)​

FC Chansey is my switchin to -ate users which have coverage options that can beat Registeel, such as V-create. It also checks most Mega Gengar variants, including Normalize, thanks to Topsy-Turvy (Mega Gengar also cannot stay in since Chansey wins the PP war as well). In some cases, Chansey can also check Contrary users such as Mega Rayquaza, Mega Mewtwo Y, and Mega Sceptile. Chansey is an extremely good Wish passer, and could usually restore teammates to full HP with a single Wish. EV spread is fairly standard with minumum Speed for the highest chances of pivoting last.

Chansey @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Relaxed Nature
- Trick
- U-turn
- Whirlwind
- Heal Order

Roles: Counter sweeper, stall crippler, emergency phazer​

Improofed by: ...

Imposter Chansey is the main method I use to deal with HO, often using my opponent's offensive threat against them for a counter sweep. In matchups against stall, I use Chansey to Trick the Choice Scarf, potentially crippling the target for the entire match. Many players ask me why I don't just use Blissey at this point when pretty much everyone knows that my Imposter runs scarf, and I think this would be the perfect place to explain the other advantage of Scarf Chansey over Blissey: Chansey, unlike Blissey, can also benefit from receiving Eviolite by using Trick on the correct target. Finally, Whirlwind is used to phaze threats that are behind a Substitute.

There aren't many threats that directly counter this team (unless if of course the threat is made to specifically target my team in which case there isn't much that can be done about it), but there are a few threats that require some playing around in order to beat:

- Contrary Mega Sceptile: If hazards are up and Imposter comes in safely, it's gg. But it's easier said than done, especially if it carries Spore. Mega Audino can handle unboosted Sceptile if it switches in on a Draco Meteor, and doubling from there to Imposter on the Leaf Storm can usually do the trick. FC Chansey can also tank it decently unless if it gets a 3 turn sleep. Registeel can take a +2 Overheat from full HP and pivot into Imposter as well. In extreme emergencies, Pgre can take 1 Leaf Storm and hit back with Core Enforcer. If you are encountering this threat a lot on ladder, I suggest swapping FC Chansey for a Flash Fire Steel wall such as Registeel.

- Shell Smash Mega Mewtwo X: Once again, if hazards are up and Imposter comes in for free, it's gg. In most cases however, this is not an easy task. If Mega Mewtwo X attempts to setup in front of Mega Audino, a Will-O-Wisp will allow Pgre to become a safe switchin. Otherwise, this set is an absolute nightmare and will require a sack before bringing in the Imposter. Pgre can take any 1 hit from it and steal its boosts but it cannot switch into a Close Combat. If you are concerned about this threat, I recommend swapping Pgre for an Unaware Zygarde-Complete.

- BellyBurden Steel types such as Mega Lucario and Kartana can threaten to sweep the entire team if they are not played around properly. If they attempt to set up in front of Mega Audino, WoW will allow Pgre to safety switch in. In emergency cases, Pgre can take any 1 hit from them and steal their boost, KOing them in the process. It is also worth mentioning that if you want to use the Imposter against these threats, you could use Core Enforcer on the Belly Drum to suppress Unburden. Additionally, replacing Giratina with Unaware Mega Slowbro can easily remedy this weakness but will make the team vulnerable to spinning and Shedinja (I recommend swapping another team member such as Chansey with FF Aegislash to fix this problem).

- Sniper Mmy: You MUST either Core enforcer or Knock Off in order to beat this threat. Imposter can only deal around 50% to it if it switches in before the stat drops. Play around this threat with heavy hazard pressure.

- Spinners that force Giratina out: Replacing FC Chansey with FF Aegislash usually fixes this problem as the only spinner that can force both Giratina and Aegislash out is Yveltal, which can get heavily pressured with Core Enforcer and status.

Note: If FC Chansey is replaced for any reason, make sure to repalce Purify on Pgre with Revelation Dance so the team isn't weak to Mega Gengar. Purify can then be run on the mon that is replacing Chansey.

Archetype Matchups:

1. HO:
The key is to keep hazards up on their side while keeping them off of your side of the field. Spread status and Core Enforcer as much as possible, and keep the Imposter at a reasonable HP. Usually the team will just collapse due to the pressure from hazards and utility moves, but if that is not the case a well played Imposter can usually clean up late game.

2. Balance: Don't rush to get rid of Chansey's Scarf in this matchup, make sure to scout the offensive threats to confirm they don't pose a threat to your team before Tricking. Mega Audino and Giratina are usually your two most valuable assets in this matchup, so don't make unnecessary and greedy plays with them.

3. Stall: This is where this team truly shines, a stall team that counters other stalls. Remember to scout for Magic Bounce before setting hazards, and scout for trapping moves so you don't lose Chansey and Mega Audino for no reason.

Registeel @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Fang
- Core Enforcer
- Rapid Spin

Giratina @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 172 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Poison Fang
- Core Enforcer
- Shore Up

Audino-Mega @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Core Enforcer

Kyogre-Primal @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Core Enforcer
- Purify
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Fur Coat
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Topsy-Turvy
- Wish
- Slack Off

Chansey @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Relaxed Nature
- Trick
- U-turn
- Whirlwind
- Heal Order

lol moro including replays in 2k17
this team has the morogrim seal of approval, no replays needed

Overall, building and playing this team was a great experience. I believe this team is certainly one of the best stall teams of this gen, and is probably the most successful team of the ladder thus far (it also broke the record for all time highest elo in the BH ladder). I hope the readers can use this RMT to learn a bit more about BH, a meta that imo promotes creativity the most out of any of the other metas.

Big shoutout to my brother, who first introduced me to BH when I was still an Ubers player. I probably wouldn't have even found out about this meta if it wasn't for you.

SW Thanks for the artwork, 11/10

Shoutouts to my extra cool friends, you know who you are.

Finally, a big shoutout to you, the reader, for taking the time out of your day to read my RMT. Thank you!

I'd also like to give a shoutout to the group of people that motivated me even harder to reach my goal, after going as far as creating a whole discord server just to snipe me on ladder.

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Aight, good stuff man. I really mean it and congratulations on peak.

Have some questions about your team:

* I understand how Scarf Imposter handles majority of the setup sweepers but don't you think FC Chansey is too passive? Also even if you Topsy-Turvy, threats like Contrary MMY or Sceptile are gonna be like "K so what you're gonna do?" "Pivoting into Scarf Imposter" is what I expect to hear as an answer but I think carrying Metal Burst helps the matchup against offense.
* So I saw a move: Purify. While I understand how that completely removes healing source of the likes of PH Kyogre but I think it is kinda counterproductive to the rest of your team with two Poison Fang users because assuming they predict it, they can just switch in and gain Poison Status again.
* I don't think your FC Chansey with Topsy-Turvy is the best solution: it doesn't have anything to hit back and your Scarf Imposter won't be able to touch it. Probably getting Revelation Dance on your Kyogre is going to help? Mind explaining about your way to check normal gar?
* Also thoughts on Ducky who used to plague my server to c'team the **** out of you? He doesn't do that (more like too embarassed) to do it anymore though.

Also here are some seemingly-threats that I wanna point out:

-
with

This guy relies a lot on predictions but Choice Band set is capable of 2HKO'ing the entirety of your team. Arrows / Blades end Registeel and Dragon Hammer 2HKOs your Imposter and Giratina. Your Audino is safest switch-in but it only depends on passive recovery from Poison Heal and therefore can't consecutively take hits.

-

Rayquaza-Mega @ Sky Plate
Ability: Aerilate
Naive Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- Core Enforcer
- V-create

I am pretty sure that I am the only one who uses this set, but this set is going to threaten your team. This isn't a c'team, I swear. I use Core Enforcer on all Dragon-types with -ate because V-create is now a norm on -ate users and caused more Flash Fire Steel-types. This is going to nuke your Registeel and Giratina while hurting your Chansey a lot.

-

Using Rapid Spin against teams that use Aegislash as a spinblocker seems to be a pain. Can't be poisoned, resilient to Core Enforcer, etc.

Again, grats on peak and I'd appreciate if you would answer my questions and clarify your plans to deal with aforementioned threats. Good night!

morogrim

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aight, good stuff man. I really mean it but congratulations on peak.

Have some questions about your team:

* I understand how Scarf Imposter handles majority of the setup sweepers but don't you think FC Chansey is too passive? Also even if you Topsy-Turvy, threats like Contrary MMY or Sceptile are gonna be like "K so what you're gonna do?" "Pivoting into Scarf Imposter" is what I expect to hear as an answer but I think carrying Metal Burst helps the matchup against offense.
* So I saw a move: Purify. While I understand how that completely removes healing source of the likes of PH Kyogre but I think it is kinda counterproductive to the rest of your team with two Poison Fang users because assuming they predict it, they can just switch in and gain Poison Status again.
* I don't think your FC Chansey with Topsy-Turvy is the best solution: it doesn't have anything to hit back and your Scarf Imposter won't be able to touch it. Probably getting Revelation Dance on your Kyogre is going to help? Mind explaining about your way to check normal gar?
* Also thoughts on Ducky who used to plague my server to c'team the **** out of you? He doesn't do that (more like too embarassed) to do it anymore though.

Also here are some seemingly-threats that I wanna point out:

-
with

This guy relies a lot on predictions but Choice Band set is capable of 2HKO'ing the entirety of your team. Arrows / Blades end Registeel and Dragon Hammer 2HKOs your Imposter and Giratina. Your Audino is safest switch-in but it only depends on passive recovery from Poison Heal and therefore can't consecutively take hits.

-

Rayquaza-Mega @ Sky Plate
Ability: Aerilate
Naive Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- Core Enforcer
- V-create

I am pretty sure that I am the only one who uses this set, but this set is going to threaten your team. This isn't a c'team, I swear. I use Core Enforcer on all Dragon-types with -ate because V-create is now a norm on -ate users and caused more Flash Fire Steel-types. This is going to nuke your Registeel and Giratina while hurting your Chansey a lot.

-

Using Rapid Spin against teams that use Aegislash as a spinblocker seems to be a pain. Can't be poisoned, resilient to Core Enforcer, etc.

Again, grats on peak and I'd appreciate if you would answer my questions and clarify your plans to deal with aforementioned threats. Good night!
The Chansey can afford to be passive thanks to the immense pressure hazards already put on offensive threats, the main goal is to force the threat to switch out (which they can do a limited number of times before being in range of the aforementioned hazards). So, in this case Chansey could Topsy, heal up (if needed), and pivot out into something that will either force the threat out or KO it. Also, Topsy is the best option I could find that neutralizes both Normalize and Contrary users.

Purify is mainly for PH Fairies (as already mentioned in the RMT). It may seem a bit counterproductive, but it is a permanent solution. You could use Entrainment if you really want to as a replacement.

There simply wasn't enough room for Revelation Dance on Pgre, but it also isn't needed as Normalize Gengar is taken care of by Chansey (also explained in the RMT).

Banded Chomp is a threat to the team, but it really isn't common enough for me to add it in the threat list.

No comment on that Ray set, seems like a straight up ct. It also isn't common enough to be worth adding to the threat list.

In the case of Aegislash, Registeel can usually stay in and spam Rapid Spin until the Aegislash switches out as it would most likely lose the PP war against a mon that has 64 PP on one move alone. Although replacing Purify with Defog is also definitely an option.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)