[BH] Zekrom [QC 1/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Doing Zekrom Here.

Ready for QC! Uselesscrab MAMP E4 Flint
QC stamps: [1/3]
GP stamps: [0/2]
First check implemented. Ready for check #2!

Overview
- Zekrom has nice stats and a nice typing for a mixed sweeper, making it the most capable Galvanize user in the BH metagame, and giving it an advantage against the side-heavy walls that people tend to use (as in, most walls are only special or only physical)
- With Galvanize, Zekrom can naturally hit both extremely hard and extremely fast
- Given what is relevant and what is not currently, Zekrom's STABs offer great coverage, hitting a lot of prominent threats such as Dragons and Waters super effectively, as well as being able to hit almost everything else at least neutrally.
- Compared to other Electric-types, Zekrom has both the best typing and the best stats, giving it a clear edge as the most notable Galvanize user in the metagame
- Unfortunately, its weakness to Ground, Ice, Fairy, and Dragon, four common offensive types, make it difficult for Zekrom to switch in or set up
- Zekrom's bulk is only average, so it can easily be revenge killed by Focus Sash, which is very popular right now, or by priority attacks

Galvanize (Shell Smash)
Zekrom @ Draco Plate
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 200 Atk / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Boomburst / Frustration
- Judgment
- Extreme Speed

Set Comments

Moves

- Shell Smash boosts all of Zekrom's offensive stats, making it a both fast and powerful mixed sweeper
- Boomburst is an extremely powerful, very reliable attack. It hits through Substitutes, and lets Zekrom take advantage of its SpA to hit through physical walls
- Frustration is also quite powerful, hits Physically (and thus through Assault Vest), and is more imposter-proof than Boomburst, as +2 Boomburst from imposter Chansey can still 2HKO Zekrom
- Judgment is crucial for type coverage, hitting Dragon- and Ground-types very hard, and making Zekrom all the more difficult to wall. Primarily, it beats PDon and Zygarde-C. Few things can tank STAB Electric- and Dragon-type coverage.
- Finally, Extreme Speed gives Zekrom powerful physical priority, letting it serve as a revenge killer against threats that are confirmed not immune to priority, and also letting it outspeed and KO Prankster Haze users before they remove its boosts.

Set Details
- Galvanize is what gives this set power - boosting the power of the attacks and letting Zekrom get STAB on them.
- Draco Plate forces Judgment to be Dragon instead of Electric, providing Zekrom with another STAB coverage move that imposter Pokemon cant take advantage of since they dont have the Plate
- Galvanize has an added advantage over other -ate types in that Ground-types are immune to Electric-type attacks, so imposter Pokemon will be completely walled by Ground-types, if not by Zekrom's x4 resist itself
- 56 Spe lets Zekrom outspeed 252+ Spe Choice Scarf base 90s like PDon and POgre, while also beating everything unboosted besides 252+ Deo-S
- 252 SpA lets Zekrom OHKO PGroudon and ZygC at +2. It guarantees the OHKO against 252 HP PDon and 252 HP Zygarde-C.
- the rest of the EVs and Naughty nature are dumped into Atk. -SpDef instead of -Def so Imposter ESpeed does less damage. Also, Zekrom's defense is high enough to be able to tank an uninvested Thousand Arrows from Zygarde-C, which it would not be able to do with -Def.
- You could also run Mild instead of Naughty to guarantee the OHKO against 252 HP / 252 SpDef Zygarde-C, though this is less necessary as most Zygarde-C's that invest in SpDef also have a + nature and AVest

Usage Tips
- Zekrom is best used as a mid-to-late game sweeper
- In midgame, it can be used as a wallbreaker to dent Regenvest and bulky Ground-type walls like Zygarde, Solgaleo, Giratina, and Mega Audino, to let glass cannons break through late game.
- In late game, it can be used to clean up once Ground-types and relevant setup counters are removed, as, while it can muscle past these threats, it has difficulty setting up against them safely
- The biggest issue is switching in and setting up safely, so some scouting is necessary early game to make sure your sweep is not stopped prematurely. For example, random Core Enforcer, Spectral Thief, or Knock Off on bulky walls could severely cripple Zekrom if it tries to set up on them.
- Zekrom can also be used just as a hard hitter without setting up in games where there is not enough time or you are not provided with enough opportunities to set up.

Team Options
- Zekrom loves entry hazards support to help break Focus Sashes and Sturdy and let it cleanly sweep without resistance. Hazards also help guarantee the OHKO against things like SpDef bulky PDon and Zygarde C.
- Zekrom appreciates slower pivots that can help i switch in for free and that can provide it with opportunities to set up. For instance, Regenvest mons like Solgaleo or Mega Gyara, bulky walls, support Pokemon
- Zekrom likes Ground-types being gone so it doesnt have to worry about being KO'd, thus Water-types and special sweepers with coverage to hit Ground-types can make it easier for Zekrom to sweep later
- Zekrom works more effectively with Ground-type partners to reliably counter imposter Chanseys. This is especially necessary when running Boomburst, as Boomburst is less imposterproof than Frustration.
- As a slow and vulnerable Dragon-type, Steel-type partners are useful to help counter -ate spam
- Keep in mind that many of these roles can easily be packed into only one Pokemon. For example, bulky Ground- or Steel-types like Zygarde-C, PDon, Registeel, Solgaleo, Dialga, and Aegislash can provide hazard support, stop opposing setup, pivot, and check imposter.
- Quiver Dance PKyogre or Shell Smash Mega Gyarados can check Ground-types, can be imposterproofed by Zekrom's ESpeed, and can provide alternative roads to victory once Zekrom weakens regenvest and bulky special walls

Strategy Comments

Other Options

- Zekrom can also run a plain Galvanize bulky attacker set with Fake Out, Extreme Speed, Boomburst, and Ice-type Judgment, but this set is somewhat outclassed by Shell Smash because it does not really need any more coverage attacks so Shell Smash will be more useful
- Other coverage attacks instead of Extreme Speed could work on the Shell Smash set. Like, Taunt maybe to stop Prankster Pokemon, or Spore. But be wary, they have to be imposterproofed otherwise you lose the main advantage of the set
- Choice with Galvanize and Volt Switch could act as a pivot, but given the popularity of Ground-types, this is very risky.
- Regenvest is also an option that takes advantage of Zekrom's unique FWG, Electric, and Flying resistances to wall some notable attackers, particularly Mega Rayquaza and Primal Kyogre
- Otherwise, there isn't any set that can both take full advantage of everything Zekrom has to offer while also being a relevant threat in the meta.

Checks and Counters
[Pixilate and Refridgerate]
: both are very threatening, as most users (think Pixilate MDiancie and PDon or Refridgerate Kyurem-B) do not fear Galvanize ESpeed and can OHKO with super effective priority.
[Triage]: Triage users can also be threatening once Zekrom is worn down, but it has enough natural bulk to be able to tank most Triage attacks initially. MMX can deal decent damage with Drain Punch once Zekrom's Defense is lowered.
[Bulky Ground-types]: Unaware Zygarde, SpDef invested Zygarde-C or Groudon can survive even boosted Judgment. Zygarde-C needs some attack investment to be able to OHKO even -Def Zekrom, however
[Offensive playstyles]: dont let Zekrom get the opportunity to set up and it wont be as threatening, or cripple it enough to let priority to revenge KO
[Classic setup counters]: Prankster Haze, Unaware mons with typing resist, Spectral Thief

Last edited:
Electrolyte

Overview
  • You're not supposed to talk about generational shifts
  • You make a good point about its mixed offenses, but I think its comparatively good bulk and Dragon typing are what make it better than Xurkitree, so that might be worth mentioning
Set 1
Moves
  • tbh I'd be more specific about why Boomburst is better (hits through Subs, allows Zekrom to make use of both offensive stats and thus beat some physical walls, etc) because as you have it now it makes it seem like Frustration should be the first slash
Usage Tips
  • I don't feel like Ground-types wall Zekrom and thus need to be eliminated...I mean, the whole point of Dragon Judgment is to hit Groudon and Zygarde, as you said earlier on EDIT: if anything, at least mention this like you do later on, in that they threaten it by being able to kill it, not walling it
  • Your fourth point is really vague. I would describe some specific things to scout for ahead of time (Fur Coat users that can take Judgment well? Prankster Haze on Pokemon that don't take much from Extreme Speed? Idk there are probably better ones)
Team Options
  • Be specific with your pivots
  • Say that Ground-type partners are especially necessary if you run Boomburst, as that's less anti-Imposter
  • The "setup counters" line can be trimmed as it basically applies to any setup sweeper and this section is a little long anyway.
Other Options
  • I assume the "plain old" set is Fake Out + Extreme Speed? You should mention it
  • AV Regen might deserve a mention here. I haven't personally used it but I am told it is a good Mega Rayquaza check. Up to you
QC 1/3

I have a few comments about the Zekrom analysis, feel free to take into account.

If your main STABs are Boomburst and Judgement I think you should definitely go for a special atk boosting nature, otherwise I do think frustration is the better stab as it actually hits several pokemons like Unaware Mega Audino or Registeel harder (steel types in particular tend to run special defence), in particular it allows Zekrom to OHKO regenVest Solgaleo after rocks.
I don't really see the point about using mixed offence since Frustration + Boomburst already use mixed offence and most Physical wall can't take judgement anyway like Giratina or Zyggy. Only other ones are mostly water types and won't like frustration.
You also don't get hit as hard by Chansey.

Regarding OO, if you do go for Boomburst and a special atk boosting nature then Head Charge is actually a decent option that allows you to OHKO Solgaleo.

Also regarding OO, Zekrom can actually run a pretty decent mixed adaptability set with Bolt Strike, Judgement and roost, it hits harder than Galvanize (for example 2HKOing regenVest zyggy after a layer of spikes and 2HKOing Solgaleo) and is still imposter resistant.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quantum Tesseract Thanks for your comments, but a majority of them are grammar-related, so I'm not going to bother changing them because I haven't even gotten to that stage yet so there's no point. I was gonna go through it and polish after I got all my checks anyway because that's standard procedure.

I went through and fixed the non-GP related comments that I agreed with, which were not all of them.
- I added Ice and Fairy to the description along with Dragon and Ground.
- I did not mention how 252 SpA is less useful if Frustration is chosen because that's a given... and the 252 SpA is for Judgment, not Boomburst. Even if you use Frustration you should use 252 SpA anyway, as the ability to KO Zygarde-C and PDon is an integral part of the set
- I qualified the statement against 252 hp / 252 spdef zygarde-c, i kept it in because it's still a notable benchmark i guess
- I added MDiancie as a check

Thanks

Quantum Tesseract Thanks for your comments, but a majority of them are grammar-related, so I'm not going to bother changing them because I haven't even gotten to that stage yet so there's no point. I was gonna go through it and polish after I got all my checks anyway because that's standard procedure.

I went through and fixed the non-GP related comments that I agreed with, which were not all of them.
- I added Ice and Fairy to the description along with Dragon and Ground.
- I did not mention how 252 SpA is less useful if Frustration is chosen because that's a given... and the 252 SpA is for Judgment, not Boomburst. Even if you use Frustration you should use 252 SpA anyway, as the ability to KO Zygarde-C and PDon is an integral part of the set
- I qualified the statement against 252 hp / 252 spdef zygarde-c, i kept it in because it's still a notable benchmark i guess
- I added MDiancie as a check

Thanks
I understand on the grammar, point, if you're aware of them that's all I really cared about because it was understandable.
I'm not going to argue further after this if you absolutely decide against it because you are QC, but some stuff that I would really suggest you reconsider:
- Choice with Galvanize and Volt Switch could act as a pivot, but given the popularity of Ground-types, this is very risky."
Mention what choice item. I assume scarf?
"- Otherwise, there isn't any set that can both take full advantage of everything Zekrom has to offer while also being a relevant threat in the meta."
This kind of summative sentence isn't at all needed (there's a reason almost no analyses have it), and in a metagame as diverse as BH there's almost certainly situations where running other zekrom sets is the best choice on a competitively viable team.
[Offensive playstyles]: dont let Zekrom get the opportunity to set up and it wont be as threatening, or cripple it enough to let priority to revenge KO
[Classic setup counters]: Prankster Haze, Unaware mons with typing resist, Spectral Thief
These bullets are just plain not helpful.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
The below is E4 Flint 's QC 2/3 check.
- The point about "best typing and best stats" seems a bit arbitrary; It has the best stats for being the best MIXED galvanize user
- Average Speed Tier, which can be problematic against Dazzling/QM and in Psychic Terrain

Team Options:
- Zygarde C can also be a good anti-Imposter if Zek is at low hp

Other Options:
- Can be a decently powerful No Guard Zap Cannon Dragon Rush user but tough to Imposter proof and slow

Checks and Counters:
- Dazzling/QM attackers when Zek is at +0
- Knock Off + Ground types neutralizes the effectiveness

look also at the comments motherlove has in his post

QC 2/3

hijack by kris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)