SM Ubers Blue Sun 2

Dragon Tail or Hidden Power Ice on Groudon?

• Dragon Tail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hidden Power Ice

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Added GIF
Put more emphasis on Zygarde in Threatlist

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Anticipation
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
This is my main answer to Xerneas, and my backup answer to Kyogre. Anticipation is used over Iron Barbs because I don't need, or even want for that matter, Ferrothorn to be taking many physical hits and I can take advantage of both of Ferrothorn's weaknesses easily; Ho-Oh can switch into them without much trouble, and even without it, Reshiram laughs at any Fire-type attack and Marshadow can switch into those Fighting-type attacks. Gyro Ball hits Xerneas hard. Stealth Rock is run over Power Whip or Protect because the chip it can provide can easily be the difference between a win and a loss. In order to beat Focus Blast Geomancy Xerneas, Chople Berry is run over Leftovers.​
Added Pokemon icons to changelog to depict which Pokemon was changed in a more obvious and reader-friendly way
Swapped Low Kick for Close Combat
Added a statement for what it does for my team.
Moved Changelog to the top of RMT
Changed Threatlist slightly
Fixed formatting
Broke formatting
Removed existing Replays tab, since they are not reflective of current meta anymore
Added Defense EVs to Speed to outspeed the extremely rare (and extremely bad) Choice Scarf Necrozma. It also allows Reshiram to outspeed Necrozma when Sticky Web is down on my side.
IVs now shown
Added a bit more detail regarding the reasons behind Sunny Day
Fixed some formatting
Changed EV spread from 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpA to 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpA / 16 Spe to speed creep max speed Adamant Primal Groudon
Removed Stealth Rock from moveset, as it almost never got the chance to set it.
Now has Stealth Rock over Spikes.
Changed item from Leftovers to Chople Berry to better deal with Geomancy Xerneas.
Now more offensive
swapped out for
to be more able to deal with those annoying Mega Salamence and Scarf Yveltal.

Peak: 1625

Introduction
Sun is pretty obsolete this generation, as it was last generation due to the introduction of Primals on top of the Drought nerf. Reshiram is just as obsolete, as it's always been directly linked to that viability; without the sun, Reshiram is effectively an inferior Kyurem-W. So why am I doing this? To prove that it can still be done (and because Reshiram is one of my favorite Pokemon).
Teambuilding Process

Reshiram is a surprisingly vicious sweeper, but it needs a lot of support to be at its best. So let's give it that support.

I've looked. I seriously have. I'm still left with the same Ho-Oh that I used in the previous iteration of this team. It just has everything you can ask for in a sun setter: powerful recovery options in Recover and Regenerator, great bulk, acceptable Speed, and offensive presence, especially in sun.
  • If a Primal switches into my Drought user, I lose the weather and cannot put it back up without losing a ton of momentum, while if I can KO the Primal with a Pokemon that knows Sunny Day, it can use Sunny Day to put sun up directly afterwards.
  • If I switch the Drought user into a Primal in order to revenge kill it, I cannot put my weather up directly afterwards, something that can be easily done if I have the move Sunny Day on the revenge killer.
  • If my weather is about to wear off, I can switch in a Sunny Day user on the final turn the sun is active and then immediately put it back up, something that is impossible with Drought.
  • Having Drought uses the ability slot, and in my opinion, an ability like Regenerator is better for a sun setter, especially when the above points are taken into account.

I still need a good Kyogre check, and since Palkia doesn't fit well (yes that is always my first thought) Ferrothorn fits the bill well. It also checks Xerneas quite handily, and a Toxic immunity is essentially a must-have. In addition, Ferrothorn synergizes superbly with Ho-Oh; Ho-Oh can switch easily into Fire- and Fighting-type moves, while Ferrothorn can switch into otherwise lethal Rock-type attacks. Its ability to act as Stealth Rock setter is also very useful.

Arceus-Fairy lends very useful resistances to Dark and Dragon, which otherwise pressure me immensely. Its STAB Judgment dispatches Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, and Yveltal easily, all of which this team would otherwise struggle with. In addition, Arceus-Fairy's access to Defog is extremely helpful.

The previous iteration of my team had huge weaknesses to setup sweepers, especially Extreme Killer Arceus. While Extreme Killer Arceus (thankfully) isn't really a thing anymore, Marshadow is still good to have for other SD Arceus, and it meshes well with Ho-Oh due to its resistance to Rock.

Primal Groudon checks Primal Kyogre, easing the pressure on Ferrothorn, as well as other Primal Groudon, and it is always nice to have another offensive check to Xerneas. In addition, it can KO opposing Rock-types with Precipice Blades.

Ferrothorn wasn't checking the things I wanted it to check: Xerneas was running Hidden Power Fire (much to my continuing confusion) way more often, and Kyogre could break through it consistently. As such, it was time to look at the newest metagame trend: Necrozma. Unfortunately, Necrozma ended up being a huge disappointment to me; when I saw it, I thought it could even take the place of Ho-Oh, which would have caused me to remake the entire team. Then I learned that it doesn't get Sunny Day. Really Game Freak, really? Because of that, its role is now greatly diminished on my team, and it literally just does Ferrothorn's job now, just much much better. The Flying resistance is a godsend for this team, shoring up its biggest defensive shortfall. The only things it doesn't do better than Ferrothorn is check Primal Kyogre (which Ferrothorn was still mediocre at) and deal with Smeragle, preventing it from using Spore. However, if everyone else can get by without a Grass-type, so can I.

The Team

Reshiram @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Turboblaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Blue Flare
- Fusion Flare
- Roost
My win condition and revenge killer. I usually only bring this in when I know I can win with it or for revenge killing purposes. Max Special Attack investment coupled with a Modest nature lets Reshiram hits with as much power as physically possible; it needs all the power it can get. With 252 Speed EVs and a Choice Scarf, Reshiram can outspeed almost the entire unboosted metagame and speed tie with base 90s if webs are down on my side.
Blue Flare is an utter nuke in the sun; only dedicated walls (Chansey, Blissey, Lugia), support Arceus (they take >75%), and things that resist it can take it, every thing else is OHKOed. Many of those that can avoid the OHKO that do not fall under either of the three aforementioned categories will fall after Stealth Rock, and nothing barring blobs, Primal Kyogre (obviously), and Ho-Oh can take repeated hits. Draco Meteor hits things that resist Fire hard, and Fusion Flare is an accurate and drawback-free attack for revenge killing and occasionally sweeping. While it may look a bit weird on a Choice set, Roost helps Reshiram switch into Stealth Rock more easily and recover other accrued damage it may have. Stone Edge is left at home because it is almost always not worth the moveslot; it's inconsistent and is arguably more exploitable than if Reshiram just used Draco Meteor, which often will OHKO after Stealth Rock anyway.
If I decide that Reshiram doesn't need to outspeed Mega Mewtwo Y, then I can cut the Speed EVs to 204 and invest into bulk a bit more. I've played with this in the past, but I've listed the EVs here as 248 because I haven't been able to find a concrete use for the extra bulk. If there's something I can do with 48 EVs, please let me know.​

Ho-Oh @ Heat Rock
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Recover
Sunny Day allows Ho-Oh to set sun, which, besides letting Reshiram sweep with Blue Flare, makes Thunder 50% accurate, removes Ho-Oh's weakness to Water, and makes Sacred Fire hit like a truck. Brave Bird hits hard and has great coverage alongside Sacred Fire, allowing Ho-Oh to do things like revenge kill Primal Kyogre and then immediately set up sun.
16 HP EVs maximize Regenerator recovery. 252 Speed EVs make it easier for Ho-Oh to set sun, especially when Stealth Rock is up; Ho-Oh won't be be tanking much of anything with Stealth Rock up. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Attack to give Ho-Oh as much offensive presence as possible.

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Earth Power
- Defog
- Recover
This is my hazard remover and blanket check. Arceus's typing is a godsend against Yveltal, preventing it from getting out of hand. Judgment hits Yveltal, Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, and Zygarde for heavy damage. To hurt Rock Polish Primal Groudon, Earth Power is run, which often 2HKOs it; this is why so many EVs are invested in Special Attack. Defog keeps hazards like Stealth Rock and Sticky Web off the field, something greatly appreciated by Ho-Oh and Reshiram. Recover keeps Arceus-Fairy healthy throughout the match. Maximum investment in HP, a Modest nature, and 156 Defense EVs help Arceus-Fairy check Rock Polish Primal Groudon. 16 Speed EVs allow Arceus to speed creep neutral-natured base 90 Speed Pokemon such as Adamant Primal Groudon.

Marshadow @ Marshadium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
My wallbreaker. Spectral Thief allows Marshadow to stop non-Speed-boosting setup sweepers in their tracks and then use their boosts against them. With Marshadium Z, Marshadow can use Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike, which nukes things, especially after a Bulk Up. To create unresisted STAB coverage, Close Combat is used, which hits harder than Spectral Thief. Shadow Sneak gives Marshadow a powerful priority option.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge
My lead. The point of this is to devastate opposing leads, preventing them from being a problem later. Precipice Blades OHKOes most Primal Groudon and deals very, very heavy damage in general when backed by 252 Attack EVs and an Adament nature. Fire Punch gives Primal Groudon the ability to hit airborne targets hard, or when reliability is desired over the sheer power of Precipice Blades. Dragon Tail prevents Salamence from being able to take advantage of Primal Groudon, and Stone Edge is used to annihilate Ho-Oh and deal heavy damage to Yveltal. Maximum Speed investment allows Primal Groudon to always outspeed Dusk Mane Necrozma.

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sunsteel Strike
- Toxic
- Morning Sun
My Xerneas counter. 252 HP EVs coupled with 252 Special Defense EVs allow it to take special hits slightly better than Ho-Oh can (the stats end up being similar, but Necrozma ends up having around 50 more HP). Stealth Rock is needed on every competitive Ubers team, and here it is; this team needs it to be better able to deal with opposing Ho-Oh. Sunsteel Strike allows Necrozma to dispatch Xerneas with ease. Morning Sun is there for recovery, and the possibility of Ho-Oh getting sun up just helps things. Toxic cripples opposing walls such as Lugia, Giratina, and support Arceus formes.

Conclusion
I realize that this is an unconventional team, but just work with me here; please don't say I should just run a standard team, since that isn't the point. Instead, when rating this team, please consider my objective. That said, I still would really appreciate feedback and suggestions to the team.

By boosting their Speed, opposing setup sweepers make it impossible for Reshiram to revenge kill them and force Marshadow to use Shadow Sneak in a usually futile attempt to take them down.
My worst nightmare. Absolute worst nightmare.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-667244286 (slightly outdated but still applies)
Opposing Necrozma can use Necrozma and Arceus as setup fodder, blast through them, and then sweep. They can easily survive Marshadow's Shadow Sneak, which only helps Weakness Policy variants. They are almost as dangerous as Rock Polish Groudon.
Offensive varients of Zygarde can use Necrozma as setup fodder and then sweep with Thousand Arrows, but are threatened by Arceus. However, its defensive varients are much more dangerous, as they commonly employ Glare; this causes them to consistantly be able to paralyze Primal Groudon and Arceus. The threat of Glare makes me very unwilling to put in Reshiram against it, as a paralyzed Reshiram is a useless Reshiram.
Ho-Oh walls Reshiram to hell and back. My best chance to deal with it is to hit it with a Stone Edge or get Stealth Rock down, as after Stealth Rock damage, it is somewhat easier to deal with.
I cannot consistently stop Extreme Killer Arceus without Marshadow, and Chople Berry variants of Extreme Killer Arceus can often overcome Marshadow and then proceed to sweep my entire team. However, not only can Necrozma really annoy it, but Reshiram can actually a take +2 Extreme Speed if Stealth Rock is not set up on my side and then can KO with Draco Meteor or Blue Flare if Marshadow was able to get a Close Combat off or Necrozma weakened it somewhat.
The bane of all balance teams, Gothitelle can trap essentially every member of my team bar Groudon and Marshadow.
I carry no move that hits Arceus-Water super effectively, so my only hope is to Toxic stall it with Necrozma
Lugia's extreme bulk and Multiscale allow it to wall my entire team as long as it doesn't switch directly into Reshiram's Blue Flare. However, I have some counter play to it: I can Toxic stall it with Necrozma, setting up Stealth Rock in the process, and I can cheese Ho-Oh's Regenerator over and over to PP stall it.
With their extreme special bulk, Chansey and Blissey can wall Reshiram no matter what. However, they do not appreciate dealing with the physical attackers on my team.
Reshiram @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Turboblaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Blue Flare
- Fusion Flare
- Roost

Ho-Oh @ Heat Rock
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Sunny Day
- Recover

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Earth Power
- Defog
- Recover

Marshadow @ Marshadium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sunsteel Strike
- Toxic
- Morning Sun​

Last edited:

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hey man! really cool team. I wanted to talk about a couple of thing on ur team and mainly one glaring flaw that I saw. At team preview, I would look at this team and think one thing - how can I chip the groudon and Ho-oh so that my +2 xern can sweep late game. Of course I wouldnt know the spreads of each mon, but if I were looking at the team from preview this is what I would think. But first lemme show you some calcs that might make u wanna change up those spreads.

1) +2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Ho-Oh: 364-430 (101.9 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
2) +2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 288-339 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

To me, these are two crucial spreads that you need to change. I know that you want to set up sun and push the ho-oh to sweep but I dont think it is a very good idea since Ho-Oh should be used as a pivot rather than a way to deal damage. If you want to run that type of Ho-Oh, I suggest this spread.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Sunny Day
- Recover

Although you are now losing toxic, which I think is the most broken move in Ubers, you are gaining a sort of way to deal with xern since you can live a +2 thunder. Also, you can consider running roar on Ho - Oh for the fail safe.

For pdon, you are really weak to focus blast and die after rocks. Id suggest running the spdef spread since the Groudon doesnt really abuse sun, rather it sets the sun. Plus, if you bring in the groudon and then switch it out in the middle of ur heat rock sun, you kinda lose out on its effects. also dont forget the pogre weakness. Yes, you have a ferrothorn in the back, but the issue is that the sun goes down with pogre upon switchin, which kinda blows.

All in all, really cool team and really cool idea. I think it could work with just a little revamping. Gl!

Hey man! really cool team. I wanted to talk about a couple of thing on ur team and mainly one glaring flaw that I saw. At team preview, I would look at this team and think one thing - how can I chip the groudon and Ho-oh so that my +2 xern can sweep late game. Of course I wouldnt know the spreads of each mon, but if I were looking at the team from preview this is what I would think. But first lemme show you some calcs that might make u wanna change up those spreads.

1) +2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Ho-Oh: 364-430 (101.9 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
2) +2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 288-339 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

To me, these are two crucial spreads that you need to change. I know that you want to set up sun and push the ho-oh to sweep but I dont think it is a very good idea since Ho-Oh should be used as a pivot rather than a way to deal damage. If you want to run that type of Ho-Oh, I suggest this spread.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Sunny Day
- Recover

Although you are now losing toxic, which I think is the most broken move in Ubers, you are gaining a sort of way to deal with xern since you can live a +2 thunder. Also, you can consider running roar on Ho - Oh for the fail safe.

For pdon, you are really weak to focus blast and die after rocks. Id suggest running the spdef spread since the Groudon doesnt really abuse sun, rather it sets the sun. Plus, if you bring in the groudon and then switch it out in the middle of ur heat rock sun, you kinda lose out on its effects. also dont forget the pogre weakness. Yes, you have a ferrothorn in the back, but the issue is that the sun goes down with pogre upon switchin, which kinda blows.

All in all, really cool team and really cool idea. I think it could work with just a little revamping. Gl!
I think you've partially misunderstood how I use the team. It isn't your fault: I didn't post any replays nor did I add an introduction or conclusion.
I'm going to address this first:
I know that you want to set up sun and push the ho-oh to sweep but I dont think it is a very good idea since Ho-Oh should be used as a pivot rather than a way to deal damage. If you want to run that type of Ho-Oh, I suggest this spread.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Sunny Day
- Recover
First, I never intended Ho-Oh to sweep. If you look at my original RMT, I actually ended up changing it to make it more offensive; I originally invested almost everything into HP rather than Attack. I've never really changed the set since then. I used Heat Rock because I wanted Ho-Oh to be able to take advantage of sun and still have Reshiram be able to use it effectively afterwards. Three turns is often not enough time for Reshiram to sweep a team, anyway
At team preview, I would look at this team and think one thing - how can I chip the groudon and Ho-oh so that my +2 xern can sweep late game. Of course I wouldnt know the spreads of each mon, but if I were looking at the team from preview this is what I would think. But first lemme show you some calcs that might make u wanna change up those spreads.

I'm a bit confused about this. I've pretty clearly stated that I have Ferrothorn as my primary Xerneas check, but no mention? I don't use Ho-Oh as an Xerneas check in-battle unless I have sun up because of that first calc. If you can find an alternate spread However, the second calc is worthless. The proper calc is this: +2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon-Primal: 316-372 (78.2 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock. I'm not even going to argue on whether or not Stealth Rock is up, since that can easily be replaced by a little bit of chip to make the same end result. That's a way better calc, by the way. However, Focus Blast Geoxern is indeed the one Geoxern that can beat me by itself, and that's kind of a flaw. However, you kind of gotta take its shit accuracy into account, as well. However, I would maybe be interested in an alternate Ho-Oh spread that can live a +2 Thunder whiling maintaining the Speed.

This is why I should have an intro or more stuff on how the team plays...... I was too tired last night to put one up, and now I'm regretting that. The way I play, if sun is up, great, but I really only set it endgame, when I know I can sweep with Reshiram, my ONLY sun abuser (Ho-Oh's really nice synergy with sun is just super convenient, and that's all). However, even with that taken into account, I'm still confused here. Groudon has nothing to do with sun; Desolate Land makes that impossible. I've been tempted to use Dialga or Dusk Mane instead actually; that Flying resist is super tempting.

That all said, I really appreciate the check, even if you maybe misunderstood the team.
I'll work on putting in an introduction and a conclusion later today.

Last edited:

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
I think you've partially misunderstood how I use the team. It isn't your fault: I didn't post any replays nor did I add an introduction or conclusion.
I'm going to address this first:
First, I never intended Ho-Oh to sweep. If you look at my original RMT, I actually ended up changing it to make it more offensive; I originally invested almost everything into HP rather than Attack. I've never really changed the set since then. I used Heat Rock because I wanted Ho-Oh to be able to take advantage of sun and still have Reshiram be able to use it effectively afterwards. Three turns is often not enough time for Reshiram to sweep a team, anyway
I'm a bit confused about this. I've pretty clearly stated that I have Ferrothorn as my primary Xerneas check, but no mention? I don't use Ho-Oh as an Xerneas check in-battle unless I have sun up because of that first calc. If you can find an alternate spread However, the second calc is worthless. The proper calc is this: +2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon-Primal: 316-372 (78.2 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock. I'm not even going to argue on whether or not Stealth Rock is up, since that can easily be replaced by a little bit of chip to make the same end result. That's a way better calc, by the way. However, Focus Blast Geoxern is indeed the one Geoxern that can beat me by itself, and that's kind of a flaw. However, you kind of gotta take its shit accuracy into account, as well. However, I would maybe be interested in an alternate Ho-Oh spread that can live a +2 Thunder whiling maintaining the Speed.

This is why I should have an intro or more stuff on how the team plays...... I was too tired last night to put one up, and now I'm regretting that. The way I play, if sun is up, great, but I really only set it endgame, when I know I can sweep with Reshiram, my ONLY sun abuser (Ho-Oh's really nice synergy with sun is just super convenient, and that's all). However, even with that taken into account, I'm still confused here. Groudon has nothing to do with sun; Desolate Land makes that impossible. I've been tempted to use Dialga or Dusk Mane instead actually; that Flying resist is super tempting.

That all said, I really appreciate the check, even if you maybe misunderstood the team.
I'll work on putting in an introduction and a conclusion later today.

The problem is that Ferrothorn isn't a xern check. It dies to a +2 focus blast. If u really wanted to make it a xern check... maybe try taking out lefties and making it chople. This way it lives a +2 focus blast and then can dish out damage with gyro ball. Just some things I noticed.

For me, since Ho-Oh isnt ur sweeper, make the defensive set. And same with pdon... if its not the sweeper make it the spdef set. Just some things I would do

The problem is that Ferrothorn isn't a xern check. It dies to a +2 focus blast. If u really wanted to make it a xern check... maybe try taking out lefties and making it chople. This way it lives a +2 focus blast and then can dish out damage with gyro ball. Just some things I noticed.

For me, since Ho-Oh isnt ur sweeper, make the defensive set. And same with pdon... if its not the sweeper make it the spdef set. Just some things I would do
But not all Geomancy Xerneas Xerneas run Focus Blast..... You often see stuff like HP Ground and Grass Knot too. Also, Anticipation alerts me to the existence of Focus Blast, so I can then double switch into pdon, using Ho-Oh as a pivot.
By the way, the Ho-Oh and Pdon are support, not special walls. The REASON pdon is defensively oriented is because I'm worried physically offensive setup sweepers are going to, well, sweep me. Pdon is just so freaking bulky when you invest in its defense. I want Ho-Oh to be fast because if Stealth Rock is up, it's going down in one hit, no matter what I do. I want Ho-Oh to be able to set up Sunny Day right before it faints and then bring in Reshiram and sweep.

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
But not all Geomancy Xerneas Xerneas run Focus Blast..... You often see stuff like HP Ground and Grass Knot too. Also, Anticipation alerts me to the existence of Focus Blast, so I can then double switch into pdon, using Ho-Oh as a pivot.
By the way, the Ho-Oh and Pdon are support, not special walls. The REASON pdon is defensively oriented is because I'm worried physically offensive setup sweepers are going to, well, sweep me. Pdon is just so freaking bulky when you invest in its defense. I want Ho-Oh to be fast because if Stealth Rock is up, it's going down in one hit, no matter what I do. I want Ho-Oh to be able to set up Sunny Day right before it faints and then bring in Reshiram and sweep.
The problem is.... even if u anticipate it... what's ur switch in to a focus blast. Plus, what if your opponent double focus blasts predicting the pdon. I think it's better to change the spreads rather than trying to anticipate everything.
Plus with rocks up... a +2 xern kills with a moonblast and a focus blast on ho-oh... making it a not-so-good switch in

The problem is.... even if u anticipate it... what's ur switch in to a focus blast. Plus, what if your opponent double focus blasts predicting the pdon. I think it's better to change the spreads rather than trying to anticipate everything.
Plus with rocks up... a +2 xern kills with a moonblast and a focus blast on ho-oh... making it a not-so-good switch in
Of course with rocks up. That's why they don't go up. I can also triple through marshadow. Even if they predict the switches, the odds are that they are going to miss one of those focus blasts anyway.

Last edited:

EternalSnowman

DPL Champion
Why are you using manual sun in a tier where any weather gets cancelled out by primal weather?

Above I think optimal spreads are way more important for example, pdon should be running 252 hp /252 spdef with 4 in speed or defense and an adamant nature with that particular moveset. This would help vs. xern, because having a choicelocked mon with a dragon move means u need to make up for the xern in another area, I would honestly rather say use a better xern check somewhere like aegi or magearna. Also I would probably swap hooh out because it doesnt really do anything particularly for your team, setting sun gets you almost nowhere since pdon cancels it and reshiram can barely abuse it since its switchins will wall it regardless of sun or not. Since u want to use reshiram I won't say replace it, but if u want to be optimal I would replace it with something like scarf xern or yveltal since they pretty much do the same thing reshiram does but better.

Also as a note to the above posts, u cant prevent stealth rocks against toxic arceus fairy, which is one of the most common rockers, in fact it is the second most common one after pdon.

Just so you know there is a lot wrong with your team, but these are some starter changes that can move you in the right direction. If you want to make a competitive team, I would suggest looking at current samples or other renowned teams used in big tournaments and start with that as a direction. Right now there are a lot of fundamental flaws mainly because you are using reshiram, which cause you to be very weak to many common threats.

Why are you using manual sun in a tier where any weather gets cancelled out by primal weather?

Above I think optimal spreads are way more important for example, pdon should be running 252 hp /252 spdef with 4 in speed or defense and an adamant nature with that particular moveset. This would help vs. xern, because having a choicelocked mon with a dragon move means u need to make up for the xern in another area, I would honestly rather say use a better xern check somewhere like aegi or magearna. Also I would probably swap hooh out because it doesnt really do anything particularly for your team, setting sun gets you almost nowhere since pdon cancels it and reshiram can barely abuse it since its switchins will wall it regardless of sun or not. Since u want to use reshiram I won't say replace it, but if u want to be optimal I would replace it with something like scarf xern or yveltal since they pretty much do the same thing reshiram does but better.

Also as a note to the above posts, u cant prevent stealth rocks against toxic arceus fairy, which is one of the most common rockers, in fact it is the second most common one after pdon.

Just so you know there is a lot wrong with your team, but these are some starter changes that can move you in the right direction. If you want to make a competitive team, I would suggest looking at current samples or other renowned teams used in big tournaments and start with that as a direction. Right now there are a lot of fundamental flaws mainly because you are using reshiram, which cause you to be very weak to many common threats.
Yes, I understand that I could be using "more optimal" sets for pdon. I don't lead with it too often though, so by investing in its Defense I can make it take a least a few more physical attacks rather than maybe one or two more special attacks.
I can use manual sun if I can remove the opposing Pdon and pogre first. Fuck, I can even use Sunny Day to lure the stupid things in. It's a late game thing. I don't even set it up always.
Arceus-Fairy doesn't particularly enjoy dealing with Ferro, so there's also that. At worst, I can put spikes/sr down to see if I can get them to clear my hazards for me.

Let's see here:
Primal Groudon gets 2HKOed by Blue Flare unless it is completely invested in Special Defense and HP, so it can't switch in, and even if it is that (I realize that is pretty common) I can wear it down throughout the course of the battle. I'm not generally going to try to sweep with Reshiram while the opponent still has a pdon.
Primal Kyogre gets walled by Ferrothorn, and by the time it breaks through (if it does), I can revenge kill it easily.
Lugia doesn't like status from Ferrothorn, nor does it like Stealth Rock. It can't switch into sun-boosted Blue Flare anyway; it's a 2HKO. 252+ SpA Turboblaze Reshiram Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lugia in Sun: 268-316 (64.4 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Arceus-Water and Rock don't like dealing with Ferrothorn much either.
Arceus-Dragon will probably either die to draco or get worn down by Ferro.

The thing to remember is that Reshiram is an end-game sweeper.

I realize I'm sort of splitting hairs here, but just work with me here. This isn't a standard team, and I really need to get that intro up to explain the premises and thoughts behind the team. I'll get a replay or two up there soon.

Last edited:
I changed Primal Groudon's set to make it more offensive and swapped out Arceus-Ground for Arceus-Fairy to be more able to deal with those annoying Mega Salamence and Scarf Yveltal. The biggest drawback I see with this change is that the loss of Arceus-Ground makes the team more vulnerable to Rock Polish Primal Groudon, but I believe that the ability to check the extremely common Choice Scarf Yveltal is worth it.

Edit: Changed Ferrothorn's item to Chople Berry so I don't autolose to Focus Blast Geomancy Xerneas

Edit #2: Revamped threatlist

Last edited:
I removed Stealth Rock from Primal Groudon's moveset, as I almost never got the chance to set it with Groudon. Instead, Ferrothorn now has Stealth Rock over Spikes. At this point, I'm really only using Primal Groudon for its ability to switch into Primal Kyogre and offensive power.

Edit: Added reasoning behind using a Sunny Day user over a Drought Pokemon.
Edit #2: Arceus now has 16 Speed EVs and 84 Special Attack EVs.

Last edited:

USUM Psych HO

Banned deucer.
Excellent team zrp200, peaking 1600+ is remarkable. Have you considered adding Iron Barbs on Ferrothorn, I feel that though anticipation has its benefits, Iron Barbs would all around be a batter ability. As for Marshadow, I do feel that the LO set might suit this team better just because you can power through Zygarde-C and hit it with HP Ice.

Excellent team zrp200, peaking 1600+ is remarkable. Have you considered adding Iron Barbs on Ferrothorn, I feel that though anticipation has its benefits, Iron Barbs would all around be a batter ability. As for Marshadow, I do feel that the LO set might suit this team better just because you can power through Zygarde-C and hit it with HP Ice.
If I run Life Orb on Marshadow, my matchup against balance and stall gets even worse because I won't have stat boosters, and I can deal with Zygarde through Arceus, Reshiram, and Ferrothorn. I don't use Iron Barbs on Ferrothorn because I'd rather avoid a surprise Heat Wave from Yveltal or Fire Blast from Arceus-Water/Fairy. In most games Ferrothorn isn't hit with contact moves anyway. I really appreciate the rate though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)