Gen 2 Boom vapo Boom

Hello, welcome to another of my RMTs, I wanted to make a viable offensive team for gen 2 OU, I asked around in the ruins of alph room on showdown, gained some knowledge, put it all together and I came up with this team, it has only one main purpose, Vapo Sweep, how to do so? Ka-Boom vapo checks/counters and sweep with vapo.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
- Self-Destruct
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge

Lure Boom Snorlax deals very well with most of Vapo's switch ins, Fire Blast catches skarm, EQ catches gengar, Double Edge is there for a nice stab that deals with everything really that doesn't resist it, I'm thinking of replacing it with a reliable stab move though, Self-Destruct is the reason this set exists, it hits harder than un stab'ed explosion and it can do very good job in wrecking the opp's team for a vapo sweep

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
- Growth
- Acid Armor
- Surf
- Rest

This guy is the pokemon I have built around this team, Growth AA vapo is surprisingly very powerful in gen 1, it can sweep unprepared team at ease, Growth/Surf are musts, Rest as well, as for Acid Armor it really decreases the amount of the pokemon that can deal with Vapo, so I have chosen to run it over other options

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
IVs: 28 Atk / 24 Def
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Another win con, Zapdos is rumored to be the second best pokemon in gsc after snorlax of course, even snorlax have hard time switch into Zapdos as it fears a CH/Spikes damage/Paralyze, any one of those can be destructive for opposing snorlax, Zapdos really likes rest, and resttalk to function as a sleep absorber, im debating over HP fire or drill peck but dealing with steelix is fun I suppose.

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
IVs: 26 Atk / 28 Def
- Cross Chop
- Curse
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Rock Slide

One of Snorlax checks, very few pokemon can switch into curse machamp, I've chosen HP ghost over Fire blast as a crit/flinch from either Cross Chop or Rock Slide can deal with skarm pretty well, and my team have no major problems with skarm, it is also a very nice wall breaker, a win con and a way to rack up spikes damage.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
IVs: 26 Atk / 26 Def
- Spikes
- Reflect
- Explosion
- Toxic

My Switch in to snorlax, especially those belly drum nerds, Spikes is very very helpful on offensive GSC teams, dealing 1/8 damage to every grounded pokemon (especially those damn electrics) is pretty good, Reflect weakens physical attackers damage (Hello skarm, Hello snorlax, Hello machamp, Hello Marowak) and help my offensive pokemon to destroy stuff, I chose Toxic over HP bug to deal with cloyster over starmie as most starmie pack reflect anyway.

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
- Explosion
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

Another boom!, Exeggcutor helps with dealing with electrics and machamp, it offers the ability to sleep and to offer nice typing coverage, not much to say here

Hey, nice team, it's actually rather similar to a team I've got tucked away, it's also similar to Borat's famous team.

Your choice of HP Fire for Zap is very interesting. Dealing with Steelix is literally the only advantage it offers compared to the most common option (HP Ice). However I don't think Steelix is a super important threat to be worried about here, as you've got plenty of other pokemon capable of hitting it super effectively, and many Steelix only run EQ/boom as damaging options, meaning they often can't touch Zap without sacrificing themselves. Meanwhile HP Ice is useful for hitting practically every other Ground type out there, with Nidoking easily being the most notable. You can also consider HP Water, which hits Steelix and almost every other Ground hard, but you lose coverage against Grass types.

Next is Forretress. I don't really like its place on this team, primarily because it's really unlikely to explode on anything useful. Unless it's met with a Spinner or the opponent leaves whatever threat they've got in, it's not going to explode on anything good, as there's little reason not to switch to a steel type or Gengar or something as they're just not threatened by Forr in the slightest. Also I don't think it really accomplishes its goal of checking Lax- sure it has Reflect, but if your opponent has CurseLax in then after a boost or two they're won't mind risking Explosion, while there's nothing else threatening Lax and they'll boost up and eventually wear down Forre due to its lack of recovery. Cloyster I think is a better option here, as it provides Spikes while being a much more self-sufficient exploder, as Surf is enough to wear down normal resists that might look to absorb an Explosion

If you go Cloy>Forre, you are still without a good Lax check, besides Champ. But I noticed another thing about your team- it lacks a phazer. Having something with Roar or Whirlwind is 100% required in GSC, otherwise you flat out lose to teams that utilise trapping moves. Another issue is that once you blow up Lax, your team has difficulty with Raikou. Fortunately, these are problems with a solution. I'd recommend using either Steelix or Golem. Both check Lax and Raikou, both can use Roar and both explode. Steelix is better at taking on EQ Lax thanks to its superior physical bulk, and is also better at taking on Electrics as it's more resilient to Hidden Power. Golem on the other hand isn't weak to FB Lax, and has a secondary STAB, meaning it's better at taking on things that resist EQ without resorting to blowing itself up. As for who they replace, I think Exeggutor is the least necessary member of your team in this instance, although Machamp is another option to replace, depending on how you feel about your Lax matchup

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Steelix > Forry (set: eq/curse/explosion/roar) makes this team super solid. Adds a better lax check, a phazer, something to stop thunder spam, an exploder more likely to hit vap checks such as zapper & roar suicune, all of which is worth losing Spikes. And there isn't really a better place for Lix to go (removing any other poke is far more disruptive to the synergy of the team).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)