Project Break This Team (Round 14 - Read Post #212)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Approved by Fireburn | Image drawn by Bummer | Idea from Creator of Chaos | Project taken over from overdose

Pokémon teams rely on offensive and defensive synergy to function. Despite this, cores of certain Pokémon may hold a distinct advantage over some teams, because of the nature of Pokémon teams and the multitude of threats that have to be covered. The premise of this thread is to analyze popular teams and derive cores of viable Pokémon which excel when matching up to the team. Hopefully, this exercise helps you with your teambuilding process and analysis of Pokémon teams!

Procedure

• I will post an Ubers team comprised of 6 Pokémon.
  • For 3-4 days after that post, posters will have the chance to reserve and post a core, consisting of 2 or 3 viable Pokémon, which threaten the aforementioned team.
  • When the week is up, there will be a voting period of 1-2 days in which you decide ,which core "Breaks This Team", most effectively.
  • On a side note, please don’t be insulted if your nomination doesn’t make the OP. There will be many other opportunities. Also, a hall of fame will be created to reward users who consistently contribute good nominations.

Rules

• Please follow up your reservations in a timely fashion, ideally within 24 hours. If you don't finish your reservation in a timely manner, I will allow someone else to take the Pokémon you reserved. Please do not make a habit out of not following up on your reservation
  • Please post only Pokémon that are viable in Ubers. This means they should be listed on the viability rankings thread. NOTE: With this rule, I will more than willing to exercise leniency rather than enforcing it strictly. I don't want to discourage contributions, so if someone would like to mention a Pokemon that's threatening to the core and unlisted in the Viability Rankings, that's fine as long as they provide a genuine explanation behind their choice. Of course, the majority of threats and partners posted here should still be ones viable in Ubers and listed on the Viability Rankings. However, there's no harm in having some unranked Pokemon posted every now.
  • Make sure the combination of Pokemon you've submitted, have viable sets and can also present itself as the backbone for a well-constructed team.
  • When posting a core, please explain yourself. Calculations aren't necessary, but please have a coherent thought process or reasoning as to why you chose the core you did. Please also make sure to include a moveset and EV spread.
  • Not really a rule but when voting, it's recommended to give a reason behind the core you're voting for.
  • Please be respectful to others!

Break This Team Core Archive

Round 1
Team:
Core: by March Fires

Round 2 (Tie)
Team:
Core: by Britania
Core: by Aberforth

Round 3

Team:
Core: by Hack

Round 4

Team:

Core: by iampie

Round 5

Team:
Core: by KyogreF4N

Round 6

Team:

Core: by My Thunder

Round 7

Team:
Core: by Holy Break

Round 8

Team:
Core:

Round 9

Team:
(Steel)

Core:
by Lacus Clyne

Round 10

Team:

Core:
by Lacus Clyne

Round 11

Team:
(Fairy)

Core:
by Holy Break

Hall of Fame

Last edited:

mags

Banned deucer.
With upl I bet forums will be pretty active and i'd like it if we kept it going throughout upl :(

Reactions: ckw
This will continue as scheduled - UPL is not a chokehold on forum activity like SPL and is meant to IMPROVE activity, not kill it. This goes out to every project that discontinued as a result of UPL. Using UPL as an excuse is not a valid reasoning to prevent subforum projects, and it feels like laziness to me over anything else. If you (this goes to all thread owners) don't want to continue your project, tell the mods. No subforum stop their projects for a subforum premier league, and Ubers will not do it either.

ckw

Tired

Alright, for Round III, we have Vario Hyper Offense, made by Minority. Posted as a Sample Team for the tier, this team is fairly easy to use and very common on the ladder. Make sure to read the rules and instructions.

Here's the importable!
Xerneas @ Fairium Z
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Ingrain
- Rest
- Moonblast

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 240 Atk / 144 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Precipice Blades

Yveltal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Foul Play
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Good Luck!

The deadline for submitting cores this round is 20th April 5:00 pm EST.

this team can't beat most lugia stalls

lance's stall wins by leading arc ground, judgment then sr. In return the team gets sr+tox on ground. Problem with trading sr to sr is that the team can't pressure things with smart doubles. Instead it likely gets overwhelmed my Lugia+tox spikes (Tenta actually walls half the team). Also Ho-oh beats 5/6 1v1

muk/ferro/ground/gira/lugia/clef is arguably even worse, muk traps that gengar and ferro walls yveltal/xern while lugia+gira+ground walls the rest. There is almost no overlap in the offensive synergy of the team (pdon ekiller is a combination but far too well researched to beat bulky things now), so the walls can generally be sent out in order to check a specific thing, rather than having multiple jobs. Obviously god forbid if a stall team with muk gets to defog against this but in practice it shouldn't be needed.

A type of stall this team does arguably better against is something along the msab+celes+waterceus line of things. Though I would say once those teams runs something like like a zygarde it still becomes a tough job to break through.

The team is super strong vs offense in general though so I wouldn't advice going super deep into offensive techs to break it. Between a solid lead, a functional mence check in xern, dbond trades, scarfing, and priority, I would say this team has most things covered. Webs+Luna (to spinblock) might be a not entirely worthless match up but the double ghost resists (well immune with ekiller) and the fact scarf yveltal can probably put in work makes it ok for the team nevertheless

it's worthless to post specific sets or smaller combinations of mons but for the sake of the thread idea it would be like:

ferro+check to pdon/ekiller (groundceus, gira, lugia, zyg)
or
muk+lugia
or
combinations thereof

also wisp hex gar (yeah it's a shame I bring up an offensive tech when I say this team has got offense covered) is super strong vs this team.

speaking of wisp hex gar, if the team uses one instead of that set, it certainly has a fighting chance vs most stall

WhiteLion

Banned deucer.
Heres a heat core which has potential to beat this team

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double Kick
- Low Kick
- U-turn
- Ice Beam

Arceus-Poison @ Toxic Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Psych Up
- Earth Power
- Recover

Do i really need to explain this now

is the purpose of this thread really to post unviable memes to beat teams people have worked hard on?

not to discredit the above post, maybe I just don't understand threads like these and it's all good but you can't argue you'd bring that stuff in any game you wanted to win

posting "heat" stuff is fun and all but what's the lesson learned? That you can make up literally anything to beat anything as long as you have perfect information? Is that really a skill or something to aspire to do?

and that team loses to ho-oh, mence, stall (all of them using ferro or blob) among other things. It's easy to point out things teams are weak to. Again, I might be thinking about this wrong, but as I interpret the thread you are at least going to post something that has some relevance in the metagame. If Minority's team was blatantly weak to something common, or to a combination of things that aren't super niche, posting that would be fine. Posting random casual cores and teams losing to common things just to specifically beat a single match up is unreasonably easy and impractical to boot

tldr (my philosophy or whatever): the core posted to "break" a given team should be able to provide foundation for an equally or better team otherwise it is a pointless exercise for improving as a player

INSULT

and every day the paper boy brings more
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Taunt-Yveltal + Magearna

Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 84 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Oblivion Wing

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Heart Swap
- Fleur Cannon
- Pain Split

Timid Taunt Yveltal is great against lead drill plus it has very limited switch ins to oblivion wing, with foul play being a nice Arceus Tech. Magearna is great for forcing threats like scarf yveltal to play around you and it also makes it so z-geomancy xerneas cant setup.

Taunt-Yveltal + Magearna

Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 84 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Oblivion Wing

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Heart Swap
- Fleur Cannon
- Pain Split

Timid Taunt Yveltal is great against lead drill plus it has very limited switch ins to oblivion wing, with foul play being a nice Arceus Tech. Magearna is great for forcing threats like scarf yveltal to play around you and it also makes it so z-geomancy xerneas cant setup.
it just loses to mgar + pdon / arceus w/ good plays..

mgar simply trap magearna and pdon / arceus can force it out or setup on it, right this core isn't bad in itself, but it just need more support to beat / pressure minority's team, hack said everything so just refer to his post.

Last edited:

mgar simply trap magearna and pdon / arceus can force it out or setup on it, right this core isn't bad in itself, but it just need more support to beat / pressure minority's team, hack said everything so just refer to his post.
Unfortunately I didn't look at the sets (volt switch > flash cannon is something I pretty much assume mag has, and that makes the world of a difference).

In general I get your point but I think it would be hard to force people to post entire teams. Yveltal+Mag (especially with volt) seems pretty strong in itself. You sort of have to assume dbonding your gar on mag has some negative consequences too- depends on what the rest of the team is ofc.

First time I’m taking part in such a project so… may the best core win :)

Vario. A great team made by minority. Pretty fun to play with, and also really easy. I see it a lot on the ladder these days. So this is my core to break vario:

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 225 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Hex
- Thunder-Wave
- Draco Meteor

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Earthquake/Toxic

That’s right, giratina-origin and ho-oh. This core is also pretty fun, if u’re able to predict well. This core not only is able to break vario, but also to take care of many other offensive and balance teams. So here are a few details about the core:

Ho-oh is a very powerful mon. With great attack and decent bulk, it makes it a threat to many teams. It can wall special attacking mons like xerneas and yveltal, and sometimes even gengar-mega, and can do a lot of damage to them, with stabs such as sacred fire and brave bird.

Griatina-origin, on the other hand, is a good defogger and with the evs I’ve given it, can take a few hits from many physically attacking mons. It can also check pdon really well, thanks to its ability levitate.

Now how do these mons go well together? Well, as we all know, ho-oh is really weak to sr, and loses 50% of its health if rocks r set. This can easily be removed by defog, which gira-o has on its moveset. Ho-oh is also a bit weak to physical mons, like in this case, ekiller(espeed with +2) and pdon(with stone edge). Since the evs added to gira-o make it physically bulky, it can easily switch in to such mons. Its ghost typing also gives it a chance to switch in to ekiller when one predicts an espeed.

Ho-oh can deal a lot of damage to the mons in vario. With a good special bulk it can take a lot of hits from special attaking mons as I have mentioned above, which may be a threat to gira-o. Not much to say for this one though.

I’ve added twave>toxic on gira-o as it reduces speed which gives a good opportunity for ho-o to do a lot of damage.

So this is my core. Hope u like it, and u’re able to break the team with this.

Shoutout to Arii Stella for encouraging me to take part in ubers activities, both in the room as well as on the forums. :)

Last edited:

INSULT

and every day the paper boy brings more
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion

theres no arceus-w on the team bro, and if getting d bonded by something means ur weak to it then idk what to say. But yeah the core is weak to dd p don but a 2 mon core cant cover all weaknesses

Reactions: ckw

ckw

Tired
Please submit cores that can not only break the team in question but also be viable enough to form the base of a good team. The purpose of this thread is to evolve cores that have a great matchup against well-constructed teams, while also constitute the foundation for a legit team.
From here onwards, cores consisting of unviable Pokemon combinations and sets will not be accepted.

ckw

Tired
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)