Bruxish Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Bruxish
Water/Psychic
Abilities: Dazzling / Strong Jaw / Wonder Skin
HP: 68
Atk: 105
Def: 70
SpAtk: 70
SpDef: 70
Spe: 92

Level Up

L1 - Water Gun
L4 - Astonish
L9 - Confusion
L12 - Bite
L17 - Aqua Jet
L20 - Disable
L25 - Psywave
L28 - Crunch
L33 - Aqua Tail
L36 - Screech
L41 - Psychic Fangs
L44 - Synchronoise

TMs

TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM08 - Bulk Up
TM09 - Venoshock
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM12 - Taunt
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM14 - Blizzard
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM55 - Scald
TM56 - Fling
TM63 - Embargo
TM66 - Payback
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM79 - Frost Breath
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM92 - Trick Room
TM94 - Surf
TM98 - Waterfall
TM100 - Confide

Egg moves

Egg - Water Pulse
Egg - Poison Fang
Egg - Ice Fang
Egg - Rage

New Ability

Dazzling: Surprises the opposing Pokémon, making it unable\nto attack using priority moves.

New Move:

Psychic Fangs: The user bites the target with its psychic capabilities. This can also destroy Light Screen and Reflect. 100% accuracy [Psychic] 85 BP, Physical.

Last edited:
I love drag-fish.

I really like that you can go either to priority wars in which you always have the initiative (Unless it's Tsareena or Tapu Lele) or you can go full scarf with Psychic Fangs.

Another decent pokemon in the lower tiers. Best set will probably be a SD set with aqua jet and its signature move. Reminds me a bit like basculine. Not anything special but will have a niche

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Another decent pokemon in the lower tiers. Best set will probably be a SD set with aqua jet and its signature move. Reminds me a bit like basculine. Not anything special but will have a niche
It gets Bulk Up - let that sink in.
Has OK coverage too

surprised nobody's pointing out all the pain and suffering you can cause with wonder skin, given this is likely the first pokemon who might want to ever use it (delcatty pls go)

surprised nobody's pointing out all the pain and suffering you can cause with wonder skin, given this is likely the first pokemon who might want to ever use it (delcatty pls go)
Hey, Delcatty has Base 90 Speed now. Fear its preciously purring fury!

But back over to or new fishy friend (which I shall nickname FrankNFurter), as has been mentioned, having priority while also blocking priority is amazing, and is something that has had me excited to learn more about it ever since it was revealed to get Aqua Jet in one of the trailers.

Psychic Fangs certainly gives it a reason to run Strong Jaw, but I was sure we'd be getting a Water-Type biting move for it. Did not see telekinetic chomping was not something I thought I'd see.

It gets Swords Dance, because now everything gets Swords Dance, and Bulk Up, Calm Mind, and...Rage, I guess? Yeah, it can certainly set up, and between Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Psychic Fangs, Crunch, Ice Fang, and Poison Fang (also Aerial Ace, because why the hell not), it has just enough coverage to get the job done.

This this is the better Basculin in so many ways, that ole' Bassy had to shout out to us "I have Adaptability, remember? Oh, and I can run Head Smash (complete with Rock Head, if you want) now."

Yeah, there's actually a lot to say about Bruxish, It's a really interesting Mon, and I'll need to give it a try some time.

It seems that Okama Fish can block priority with Dazzling or outright attack with Strong Jaw. Which one is generally better? Also, does Dazzling block all positive priority, or does it only prevent priority-boosted attacks?

EDIT: The OP seems to state that Dazzling only blocks the corresponding attacks, but not status moves.

Was excited for this thing to be an effective offensive poke with Good Atk or Sp.Atk and Speed to abuse Dazzle. I'm disappointed that Bruxish has a meh base 92 Speed which means Dazzle isn't as effective as it could ultimately be. Psychic Fang + Strong Jaw will probably be better.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Bruxish is just anti-meta, isn't it?

Dazzling stops priority, but gets Strong Jaw making its screen destroying Psychic Fang also an option. Good Attack, decent Speed, and everything else is okay at best. You're not using it for its power in other words.

Even if your using Strong Jaw or not I think it'll use the same moveset no matter what. STAB Water has three options: Aqua Jet (just to rub it in), Aqua Tail, or Waterfall. Psychic STAB there's only one option but its a pretty good option: Psychic Fangs. It also gets Crunch, Aerial Ace, and Payback; though Egg Moves give it Poison Fang and Ice Fang. And for utility there's mainly Disable, Taunt, and dual screens. So I think its pretty straight forward but that's not a bad thing.

Lol, Synchronoise. Wait, it gets Frost Breath? Okay...

Was excited for this thing to be an effective offensive poke with Good Atk or Sp.Atk and Speed to abuse Dazzle. I'm disappointed that Bruxish has a meh base 92 Speed which means Dazzle isn't as effective as it could ultimately be. Psychic Fang + Strong Jaw will probably be better.
could potentially be an SD Sweeper with sticky web team :)

Pepeduce

PepeDuce, le seul, l'unique ! #SGZ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
No one notices it get Swords Dance...How this thing can Swords Dance ? Btw
This this is the better Basculin in so many ways, that ole' Bassy had to shout out to us "I have Adaptability, remember? Oh, and I can run Head Smash (complete with Rock Head, if you want) now."

Yeah, there's actually a lot to say about Bruxish, It's a really interesting Mon, and I'll need to give it a try some time.
Basculin has Reckless, they give the combo Head Smash Rock Head for Sudowoodo.

No one notices it get Swords Dance...How this thing can Swords Dance ? Btw

Basculin has Reckless, they give the combo Head Smash Rock Head for Sudowoodo.
Yeah, they did, but Basculin gets it, too. Red-Striped Basculin has Reckless/Adaptability/Mold Breaker, while Blue-Striped Basculin has Rock Head/Adaptability/Mold Breaker.

Also, pretty much everyone has brought up that Bruxish gets Swords Dance, myself included XP

Pepeduce

PepeDuce, le seul, l'unique ! #SGZ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Yeah, they did, but Basculin gets it, too. Red-Striped Basculin has Reckless/Adaptability/Mold Breaker, while Blue-Striped Basculin has Rock Head/Adaptability/Mold Breaker.

Also, pretty much everyone has brought up that Bruxish gets Swords Dance, myself included XP
Oh my bad, I assumed they got same Abilities.
Yeah, I don't understand how a fish can Swords Dance, I think is the only one fish Pokémon, give to Magikarp SD too lol.

Swords Dance, Aqua Jet, Crunch, Psychic Fangs
Both Abilities are good, one prevents enemy Priority (but does that really matter when you've got a priority move and decent speed?) and the other boosts most of its moves (even Ice/Poison Fang should U choose to use them.)

But what I find the most interesting, is that Psychic Fangs destroys Screens, which might see more play now with all the new dual screeners and Aurora Veil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)