Building a team around Celesteela

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build my first for VGC 2017.

I intend to play Celesteela and he is my first pick. I'll probably play it as a special attacker with Flash Canon, Giga Drain and Flamethrower. The fourth move will be either Protect or Wide Guard depending on my team needs.
My second pokemon would be Alolan-marowak for Lightning Rod support and his sheer physical power power.

Third choice, a Trick Room user. My preference goes to Porygon2 however, I'm considering other solutions like Oranguru with Instruct.
I'm considering using Gastrodon with Storm Drain. I choose him firstly for his resistances.
I intend to have Hariyama on my team for Dark-type resistance, Fake Out and Knock Off. I plan to have Feint on him for priority.

I don't have a clear idea on which pokemon I should choose last. Perhaps a second Trick Room user. I'm not sure if Gastrodon will be that useful to my team, so I'm considering switching for a Pokemon with similar role but more power.
I also think of using one of the Tapus, Tapu Bulu or Tapu Fini (in place of Gastrodon).

Monkey D. Chopper

Banned deucer.
You could try starting with the following core:
Celesteela Marowak Gastrodon, then add a tapu (Tapu Koko or Tapu lele probably) and finish it with P2+gigalith to have a solid trick room mode.
What do you think?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build my first for VGC 2017.

I intend to play Celesteela and he is my first pick. I'll probably play it as a special attacker with Flash Canon, Giga Drain and Flamethrower. The fourth move will be either Protect or Wide Guard depending on my team needs.
My second pokemon would be Alolan-marowak for Lightning Rod support and his sheer physical power power.

Third choice, a Trick Room user. My preference goes to Porygon2 however, I'm considering other solutions like Oranguru with Instruct.
I'm considering using Gastrodon with Storm Drain. I choose him firstly for his resistances.
I intend to have Hariyama on my team for Dark-type resistance, Fake Out and Knock Off. I plan to have Feint on him for priority.

I don't have a clear idea on which pokemon I should choose last. Perhaps a second Trick Room user. I'm not sure if Gastrodon will be that useful to my team, so I'm considering switching for a Pokemon with similar role but more power.
I also think of using one of the Tapus, Tapu Bulu or Tapu Fini (in place of Gastrodon).
Hi there, you need to complete the mandatory homework assignment before posting your own RMTs and other threads here, thanks.

You could try starting with the following core:
Celesteela Marowak Gastrodon, then add a tapu (Tapu Koko or Tapu lele probably) and finish it with P2+gigalith to have a solid trick room mode.
What do you think?
I think of adding Tapu Bulu to help deal against Water-types and bring a water resistance for those who spam surf/mud water.
P2+Hariyama seemed a good option for the control Hariyama bring.

Hi there, you need to complete the mandatory homework assignment before posting your own RMTs and other threads here, thanks.
Sorry for posting like this. I was only asking for help so I didn't though it would needed on this subforum to. Be sure I'll do it next time, I'm looking for teams and sets used for vgc2017 but didn't found much on Celesteela (perhaps I overlooked something).

Before building a team you need to consider the metagame and what you will be facing.

You chose to build a team around Celesteela, now the two most common VGC17 Pokemon atm are Garchomp and Arcanine

What are your options against Garchomp and Arcanine considering you are running Celesteela and Arcanine can flat out wall it if not immediately OHKO it?

What can you add to prevent that?

Personally I would consider a fast offensive Pokemon that completely walls Arcanine which would be Garchomp, with Celesteela as a partner it can freely EQ as well and be a good switch for incoming Flareblitzes

Another option can be Tapu Fini which deals with both Garchomp and Arcanine, however it is not as good an option as my previous suggestion as Poison Jab Garchomp exists as well as Wild Charge Arcanine, this also worsens your matchup against Tapu Koko by having two weaknesses to Electric, A-Marowak might solve this but only if played right

Last edited:
I agree with MDK.

I'll add: do you want to play a semi-trick room team or a full-trick room team? Adding a second TR user pushes you into that last direction, for example.

I personally prefer going for a semi-trick room, as it gives you much more versatility:

Celesteela (on this team it's better defensive, but even a SpA set could do okay. Probably AV could be an option?)
Tapu Fini (specs or CM)
Arcanine (Adamant with Wild Charge, as you don't have any relying ways to attack strongly opposing water pokemons. But you wall them with Steela anyway, if setted more defensively or with Giga Drain)
Garchomp (no dragon moves, Fire Fang / EQ / Jab or Slide / Protect with Z move. Or even Scarf+Adamant)
Porygon2 (TR setter when opposing team dies to Gigalith, and 2 coverage moves on what you think you need more, like Tbolt+IceBeam or IceBeam+Return/Toxic)
Gigalith (Rockium Z, AV set, for example)

Another option could be something like that, if you really want to play that A-Marowak. A semi-trick room bulky team:

Celesteela (I'd probably play an AV set here for sure with Flash Cannon / Flamethrower / Gigadrain / Air Slash or Hyper Beam or HP something)
A-Marowak (EQ if you plan on using him more with Celesteela than with the TR part of the team, which could want Bonemerang)
Porygon2 (TR as before, but now Ice Beam is mandatory to cover Garchomp)
Gigalith (probably Rockium-Z here)
Tapu Koko (with Discharge, this way you can spam freely electric attacks with A-Marowak and if you play Volt Switch it helps to do chip damage AND send in a pokemon like gigalith to stop weather, Arcanine for intimidate, Marowak to stop the opposing electric attack, and such)
Arcanine (intimidater, with a bulkier spread and probably some support moves like Snarl and ESpeed to revenge kill)

If you want to go with a full-TR team, look for 2 TR setters (Mimikyu is pretty good here with Mental Herb or Ghostium Z), atleast a Fake Out user, and a pair of solid sweepers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)