CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secondary Ability Poll has just wrapped up! This means that artists will have at least 24 hours from this post to finalize their designs. I am willing to extend the duration to 48 hours, if any artists need more time. If so, please post either in this thread or PM me here or on Discord to make a request for an extension.
I would like to ask for 48 hours. I’m going to take an intercontinental flight tomorrow and I may not be able to get my design ready by then. I could complete it during my 8-hours flight on my mobile, though.

If I’m lucky enough, I should be able to send the final sub before 10 AM (Belgium time).

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

I haven't had much time to work on this and won't have much more before the deadline so here's what I've got I guess.

Behold, Marhadow's Pet Dragon / Shiba Inu Dragon. The design also has some influences from Komainu (thanks to Integer Mova for sharing these with me). Komainu are statues of lion-like dogs outside some Japanese shrines. My design sort of has that lion-like mane, but it's been transformed to shadowy fur that mimics a dragon head. I toyed with adding a horn on the head like many Komainu have but it looked sort of too much like a Keldeo reference so I had to remove it. The feet are more dragon-like than canine like but are probably a combination of the two. The feet are a different color in hopes that the brighter purple adds visual weight to somewhat counteract the weight of the main (I tried other things to make the feet look heavier but I personally found just giving them slightly brighter colors worked out the best).

I removed the real, physical eyes and instead added some shadowy-like eye sockets to help justify comatose (I also removed the shadow eye sockets on the top of the head since they looked a bit much). I guess the new sockets are done in a style that helps them read as ambiguously either sockets or eyes themselves, and I'm fine with that middle ground.

The black coat Shiba Inu was chosen specifically to minimize relations to Doge (this is not Doge and has never tried to be) and to fit the general color palettes of Ghost-types.

Stat-wise, I feel like our stats are well rounded and so I didn't want the design to be super lean (fast) or super bulky (defensive). I think the claws and dragon head help make it look more physical than special. I'm not trying to ram down a "tough" or "strong" look since there are plenty of mons with precedence of being fairly cute while being pretty strong too. Matshadow, of course, is my biggest inspiration in this regard.

Thanks for those of you who supported me so far and I'm sorry I couldn't due more to finish this out. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

Basically a more rendered version of the earlier version of the dream dragon. I tried to give more personality and detail to both dragons. Thank you so much to everyone who gave me feedback on discord/in general. Best of luck to everyone else!!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here's what I've been working on for a while now, although I've changed it quite a bit as we've gone along. I call it "dreamcatcher", for hopefully obvious reasons...

When we decided to make a trapper and gave it Ghost typing, I knew I wanted to do some kind of dreamcatcher theme. When we picked Comatose, I couldn't believe it, it was just too perfect to pass up!

I based this on a chameleon for the Dragon typing, incorporating the swirled tail as an organic way to make a rounded frame for trapping spirits in its eldritch energy web. Also, by having the creature hold its own tail, it makes for a tranquil pose, perfect for a slumbering beast.

The wings, fins, and other elements are meant to have a vaguely vampiric feel to them. I think it brings in some more ghostly tones, and the dangling fins complete the dreamcatcher look without doing hanging feathers or whatever.

We only have a day or so left before final submissions are due, but I may make some minor tweaks here and there if I have time.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Supporting Material

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh CAP23 Sinnoh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
In his house at Sinnoh, Comatose CAP23 waits dreaming.

I'd just like to say thanks for everyone's input and support. While I technically have 48 hours left I'm a bit busy at the moment so I may not have been able to change all that I wanted to change.

A Comatose Dragon / Ghost screamed Cthulhu to me, an powerful eldritch Dragon Pokemon imprisoned to contain its power. Physically imposing, but not so bulky that a slightly above 100 Speed wouldn't make sense. The chains allude to both Spirit Shackle and Anchor Shot, and ghostly flames emanate as its immense Eldritch powers begin to leak out of containment.

Last edited:

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
WIP

final updoot before the final because holy jeez i procrastinated on this

Beware the blanket ghost, ooOooo~
feedback is very much appreciated!!

See my problem with the above design is that to me, it looks like a Mimikyu dressed up as a Flaffy or a shiny Mega Ampharos. That’s just me tho

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Polished up Ragnarok Dragon.

I'll quote it's origin and lore from my previous post:
Essentially a panoply of Norse mythological references. However, it is mainly based the fact dragons are often used in art as personifications of Ragnarök, the end of the world, and Eikthyrnir, the white stag that stands upon Valhalla. Other references include its 6 limbs, as a reference to Sleipnir (though, to be fair, that beast has 8 legs), as well as its golden eyes, which reference the golden apples of Idun (which grant eternal youth).
The only substantive change I've made is removing the glow from its eyes, because Comatose requires that Ragnarok sleep till the end of the world.

Final Submission

This design is a ghost that has possessed the skeleton or corpse of a long-bodied Dragon-Type like Dragonair and integrated it into its body. The lower, shield-like face is the actual creature, with the upper mask face being used as a decoy to draw in attacks and taunt opponents. The strange hand positions are there to both suggest the creature is up to no good and to mimic the hand positions of puppeteers. This design would link threads to the opponent's shadow, paralyzing their bodies as it slowly reels its prey into its mouth for a meal.

It also very much works as a nightmare creature for Comatose, as well as having no eyes so it can easily slot into that particular niche

Ended up not making as much supporting art as I would have enjoyed to, but the simple fact that I managed to pull of what I like to think is a pretty nice design is a big thing for me. Hopefully I'll take less time on the main gig next CAP and will be able to do the Mag thing of having 10 pieces of supporting art. Goal for next time is to procrastinate less and draw faster.

I'm not sure if it's too late to ask this, (I really apologize if it is, I'm in the process of a move and ran into some unexpected delays this morning with not being able to upload what I'm still conflicted about being my final submission to imgur to put here plus not being able to move some supporting art to the right hosting services because my wifi went out) but I'd like to request the deadline be extended to 48 hours as well if that's not too unreasonable. Sorry again for not speaking up sooner, 'hadn't taken into consideration that there was a chance those things would happen.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think Quanyails forgot to post here but I heard her say this elsewhere so I'll just verify it here. Due to multiple requests, final subs are due 48 hours from the end of the last poll, not 24 hours. That is is to say, since it's been almost 24 hours since the last poll, you guys have about 24 hours left.

DQ - Final Submission

Side Notes: Decided to go with the idea from Reghihares and Blue Frog so it made more sense. I also changed the aura to wisps since it seemed more ghostly and submittable. I kept the aura around the red spikes and brought the anchor tail to a point with it's aura. Finally, I changed the position of the dragon.

Design Justification
Starting with another side note, I am aware my technical skills are not the greatest but I hope my concept can be a factor to be considered more than the drawing itself. This dragon is based on an amphitere, which is an Aztec/Myan dragon that has the form of a serpent but with wings. My idea is that a little snake was possessed by a dead dragon. The little baby snake constantly dreams about the dragon after being possessed so much so that the dragon can be unleashed while the baby snake is asleep. Now that back story for the concept is out of the way, It is time to move on to other ideas I had in the design. I originally had every single red spike shaped like an arrow. I decided it was too complicated so at some point I made them more simple. I made the tail modeled off of an anchor, a bow, and an arrow simultaneously. I made the baby snake's tail morph into to dragons body, and as stated earlier I changed the aura to wisps which have the purpose of making it ghostly. That is pretty much it for the concept.

Supporting Art
I am afraid I don't have supporting art or time to create some. I might post some more art on my drawing thread of this dragon when the polls are over and when I have more time over the weekend but not right now. I guess you can see my previous drawings to see my process but that is all I have.

(This is of topic but thanks for the extra time Quanaylis, school has been busy with mid-terms coming up so I have not had much time and I could not have made it without the time extension)

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Submission

Better late than never I guess, but anyway I decided I might as well drop what I do have, even though it may not be the most impressive from an art standpoint, it's something more than nothing. The design of this is pretty straightforward, it is heavily based off of the ropen, a bioluminescent pterosaur cryptid said to rob graves, and is also partially based off of the night sky. The dragon part comes in with the whole legendary flying reptile thing, and the ghost type comes in with the ropen's ghostly lights and association with robbing graves. Comatose comes in when you notice that the true eyes are closed, but there is a false eye on the crest, feigning awareness.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Supporting Material

It's a stegosaurus that defends cemeteries! It lives among the other tombstones and protects the deceased from demonic forces. The flames represent the souls of those that are buried within its territory. It has the power to unite loved ones in death, and is extremely docile towards those close to dying. Its Spirit Shackle can be used to peacefully tie those who are ready to pass on to the earth. But when intruders arrive, it uses its full force to defend those it has helped make final amends.

I know this is just "creating a Pokemon design," but over the past month, I've really grown attached to my design, maybe moreso than any other I've drawn before. The idea of a guardian protecting the deceased from monster brings a lot of peace to my mind. My grandpa recently passed away, and he is the inspiration for this comic. His wife (my grandma) passed away when I was very young, and my grandpa was happy to be with her on his deathbed. The idea of a Pokemon facilitating that process fascinated me, and perhaps even brought me some solace in a way. I know I'm not the best artist, but I hope my design can convey some of what I feel is an appropriate theme for death.

Last edited:
Final Submission

I’m proud to say that the final submission is now here. As suggested by other users, I have toned down the darkness of the purple shade and gave to my character a yellow underbelly, in order to not make it too monochrome, as well as make the flames a bit more cartoon-like. Also, now the tail blends a bit more with the statue, making it more obvious that the Pokémon is possessing said statue.

I may tweak some details here and there, as well as post some supporting art to better explain the concept, but overall the drawing is mostly finished.

Thanks a lot to all people who supported me, and I wish good luck to my fellow artists. :)

Final Submission

I haven't had the time to update this, but I wanted to at least submit it. I'm proud of it, but only considering I'm still learning about drawing and such. Either way, I hope that going forward, this was good for me. I wish the best of luck to all the other designs!

Final submission

Whatever design justification:
Turtles r sleepy. It used to be just a chain with a dinosaur face on it but well, that sucked.

idk what else to do with it as im not sure how well i can contend with everyone else.
dis good ol SUPPPORT ART
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/333822914040168458/357793306488602641/ooof-ow.gif
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...31895301488640/image.png?width=300&height=300
https://i.imgur.com/bHXYBvw.jpg

Last edited:

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
DQ - Final Submission

Finally!

Design Justification:
This Spoopy fella is based off of the common theme of ghost being portrayed by blankets or sheets. I also somewhat based it off of the "Monster under the bed", which is an imaginary monster that kids think resides under their beds. its eyes are based off of a text emoji used to display weariness or drowsiness (=.=) and the last base was several television show creatures having black and white stripes being a main theme.

Supporting Art:
not so fast!
naptime...

Last edited by a moderator:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

MAIN DESIGN

SUPPORTING MATERIAL

Link to an animation of my progress from crude sketch to finished artwork:

(click the thumbnail for the full-size animation)

Inspiration

When we decided to make a trapper and gave it Ghost typing, I knew I wanted to do some kind of dreamcatcher theme. I think dreamcatchers are very cool visually, and over the course of many past CAP designs, I have tried to incorporate tribal elements in my designs. I've toyed with dreamcatchers in past Flying designs, since the feathers on traditional dreamcatchers are an easy way to incorporate organic elements into an otherwise inanimate object. None of my previous flirtations with dreamcatchers amounted to anything meaningful though.

So with the Dragon typing for CAP 23, I was originally making my design a lizard-like dragon with dreamcatchers for wings. It had a lot of tribal imagery, including a skull head which was reminiscent of Southwestern Native American tribal artwork and that sort of thing. The design was pretty cool, but it was very action-oriented. Also, I noticed lots of other artists using skull heads and other skeletal elements, which dampened my enthusiasm for what I was doing with my design at that point.

When we picked Comatose, I couldn't believe it! In terms of supporting my general dreamcatcher theme, it was absolutely perfect. But in terms of supporting my pose and overall design choices, it killed my design completely. So I scrapped everything and literally went back to the drawing board.

On my first design, I didn't like how the dreamcatchers were incorporated into the wings on the design. They didn't look organic enough for my taste. Although the game of Pokemon seems to use more and more inanimate objects as the basis for characters, particularly Ghosts (Chandelure, Aegislash, Dhelmise, etc) -- I think making an object a pokemon is usually a bit too literal from a creative standpoint. So, if I'm using an object as a basis for a design element, I try to figure out ways to incorporate the object into the Pokemon's anatomy. With the dreamcatcher, it's a tough thing, because circles are hard to do organically!

As I was looking around at various types of lizards, I noticed chameleons with their round curled tails. So I set about trying to figure out how to use the curled tail as the "frame" for an organic dreamcatcher. If you look at the progression animation I posted above, my first sketch was little more than a amorphous body on top of a round curled tail. Everything else flowed from that until I arrived at the final design you see above.

Explanation

I based this on a chameleon for the Dragon typing, incorporating the swirled tail as an organic way to make a rounded frame for trapping spirits in its eldritch energy web. Also, by having the creature hold its own tail, it makes for a tranquil pose, perfect for a slumbering beast.

The wings, fins, and other elements are meant to have a vaguely vampiric feel to them. I think it brings in some more ghostly tones, and vampires are commonly associated with sleeping (during the day, at least), so I think that helps support our ability, even if in a small way. The dangling fins complete the dreamcatcher look without doing hanging feathers or whatever, which would look out of place here, and also a bit too literal for what I'm trying to do.

CAP artists have made some amazing designs in this thread, like always. I have many favorites and I'm excited to see which design we choose!

Last edited:
Final Submission

Design Justification: This pokemon is based off of the Lernaean Hydra, but instead of its heads growing back when they are chopped off, they come back as ghostly animations -- perfect for trapping an opponent who thinks they have won. Its body is also loosely based off the shape of a greek chariot. It can use one of it's long heads to pin down an enemy with spirit shackle, or use the anchor like decorations of its armor for anchor shot. Its "tail" (actually its one remaining head) is constantly sleeping, as it has nothing to worry about with its ghostly heads who never sleep

Final Submission

Fossil Dragon! Is done, -ish! I am the worst colorist there ever was, I could keep tweaking this guy until he turns bright yellow but this is what I've decided on ultimately, so!

Here's some Supporting Material of what it looked like in earlier stages on paper, this is what it looks like without the jawbone, horns or lighting, this is an action frame of them mid-attack, and

these are my Design Justifications! Sorry for excessive amount of links, I cannot figure out how to use thumbnails, still, so this is all I got! Good luck everyone!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm editing an earlier post with my final submission, but I had a few quick moments to draw this comic strip about my design. I hope you enjoy!

I know this is just "creating a Pokemon design," but over the past month, I've really grown attached to my design, maybe moreso than any other I've drawn before. The idea of a guardian protecting the deceased from monster brings a lot of peace to my mind. My grandpa recently passed away, and he is the inspiration for this comic. His wife (my grandma) passed away when I was very young, and my grandpa was happy to be with her on his deathbed. The idea of a Pokemon facilitating that process fascinated me, and perhaps even brought me some solace in a way. I know I'm not the best artist, but I hope my design can convey some of what I feel is an appropriate theme for death.

I've greatly enjoyed this drawing process. Best of luck to all who are submitting art!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)