CAP 23 CAP 23 - Full Movepool Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is the thread for making full movepools for our upcoming CAP, Pajantom!. At the conclusion of this thread, our <movepool leader> will be compiling a slate of Final Submissions for the community to vote on, and the winning submission will become the official movepool for CAP23.

We recently made significant changes to our policies regarding movepools, so do not assume that rules from past CAP projects apply. See this Policy Review thread for more information about the new rules.

We've had a discussion of movesets, which identified the competitive movesets we intend to be the most viable in standard OU play. Please see the concluding post in that thread, as well as the following poll, for more information on those movesets.

The following rules apply to all Movepool Submissions:

• The movepool can contain a maximum of 75 total moves. You may have less than or equal to 75 moves, but not more.
  • There are no longer any limits to the number of Restricted Moves, as mentioned in articles on the CAP subsite and past CAP projects.
  • All movepools must have all the Mandatory Moves listed below.
  • No movepool may contain any of the Banned Moves listed below.
  • Any move not listed as Banned is provisionally allowed.
  • The Movepool Leader (cbrevan) and Topic Leader (snake_rattler) may add Banned moves during the course of this thread. If that happens, there will be ample notification in the thread, and you will have the opportunity to remove those moves from your movepool prior to final submissions.

Final Movepool Submissions must include all of these moves, and they cannot be Event Moves. Submissions that don't have all these moves will not be considered for slating.

Spirit Shackle
Phantom Force
Dragon Claw
Outrage
Brave Bird
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Iron Tail
Leech Life
Psychic Fangs
Stone Edge

Infestation
Fairy Lock
Heal Block
Laser Focus
Toxic Spikes

Substitute
Protect
Toxic

The "universal" TM/Tutor List for fully evolved Pokemon: Attract, Confide, Double Team, Facade, Frustration, Giga Impact, Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Protect, Rest, Return, Round, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Snore, Swagger, Toxic

These moves are banned from inclusion in Final Submissions. Movepools that include any of these moves will not be considered for slating.

This list is subject to minor changes along the course of the thread.

The following moves are all banned:

All Sleep Moves
Taunt
Torment
Perish Song
Destiny Bond
Stomping Tantrum
Knock Off
All Phazing Moves
Trick
Pain Split
Sticky Web
Shadow Bone
All Fire Coverage
All Permanent Stat-Ups and Debuffs (Swords Dance / Screech, etc.)
+1 All Stats Z-Moves (Conversion / Celebrate / Purify etc.)
SPLASH
Physical Electric Coverage
Physical Fighting Coverage
Physical Poison Coverage
U-turn
Volt Switch
Parting Shot
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Defog
Rapid Spin
Memento
Healing Wish
Will-O-Wisp
Curse
Wish
Recovery Moves other than Rest

Note that any move which is competitively inferior to a mandatory move is allowed as an exception to the bans above unless explicitly stated otherwise. This includes things such a weaker versions of mandatory STAB and coverage moves.

Click here for a general guide to making Gen 6 Movepools.
Click here for the list of Restricted Moves referenced above.

While this is a submission thread, discussion on Work-In-Progress (WIP) and Final Submissions is encouraged so the community can make an informed decision during the polling stage.

This thread will be open for submissions and discussion as soon as cbrevan posts his opening remarks.

-----------------

Name:
Pajantom
Typing: Dragon/Ghost
Primary Ability: Comatose
Stats: 84 HP / 133 Atk / 71 Def / 51 SpA / 111 SpD / 101 Spe
Abilities: Comatose / No Competitive Ability / TBD

Concept:
Name: Wait! It's a Trap Move!

Description: A Pokémon that can make effective use of semi-trapping, fully trapping, or self-trapping move(s).

Justification: Trapping is a somewhat polarized mechanic in the current SM metagame. In terms of ability-based trappers we have Dugtrio, perhaps one of the most hated (or most loved, really depends on the situation) Pokémon thanks to its ability Arena Trap. There is also the occasionally seen Magnezone that uses Magnet Pull to lure in and decimate Steel type Pokemon. All trapping effects are ignored by the Shed Shell item or simply by being a Ghost type. However, this is not the kind of trapping I want to focus on. Focusing on abilities leaves few options, and the general mechanics are the same: Lure, Trap, Destroy. Nothing much new is to be found there.

So, instead, I would like this concept to focus on trapping moves. For those unfamiliar with the term, there are a few types of trapping moves which I will make an attempt to explain here. A semi- or partially trapping move prevents the opponent from switching out for a set number of turns while also usually doing a set percent of damage. Example moves would be Whirlpool, Fire Spin, Infestation, and Magma Storm (but don't use that last one, it's legendary exclusive!). There are also what I like to call fully trapping moves, moves that prevent the opponent from switching not for a set number of turns, but instead until the Pokémon who used the move leaves the battlefield. This category includes moves such as Block as well as the brand-new Gen 7 moves of Anchor Shot and Spirit Shackle. Also are what I call self-trapping moves, which is just Ingrain to my knowledge. This move (and if any similar ones come about) lock the USER into battle. Lastly, just to make sure I cover all my bases, Fairy Lock is an interesting trapping move that prevents any Pokémon, friend or foe, from leaving the battlefield on the following turn only (Barring the usual exceptions).

This concept fits in the Actualization and Archetype categories. Trapping moves are exceedingly rare in their usage. The most effective in OU currently is Magma Storm Heatran, but this is by far not its only nor its best set. Expanding our gaze slightly we may find the strange Stall-Trap or Perish-Trap strategies in use in varying parts of the ladder. Even further? Ok then, in Ubers you can find an excellent example of self-trapping in Ingrain Xerneas, which helps prevent the opponent from forcing Xerneas out after it has set up its boosts. In addition, one could look at SD Trapper Decidueye that sets up with Swords Dance after trapping a helpless opponent via Spirit Shackle. Dhelmise can also use Anchor Shot, though I'm not terribly sure as to how that set works... Regardless, that makes about four solid examples of trapping moves across four different tiers, and none of the sets are by any means the only or most effective sets those Pokémon can run (Except maybe Dhelmise. Is there an RU player here who can help me out with that thing?). Overall, the relative rarity of these moves in competitive play when contrasted with the seemingly powerful effect of locking in the opponent begs a variety of questions about the nature and use of said trapping moves. To best explore these moves, designing a Pokémon to use and abuse them makes the most sense for understanding how to properly use them (whatever that would mean).

Questions To Be Answered:
(Base) Is there a 'best' way to utilize trapping moves? If so, what playstyle does it most align with?
(Base) Is there a 'best' type of trapping move overall, or are they each truly viable in their own ways?
(Base) What is the value in trapping the opposing Pokémon? Are certain traps better than others? Why?
(Base) What synergies work well with trapping moves? Why do they have such a great synergy, and how can that be expanded or dealt with in the process of teambuilding?
(Comparison) How do trapping moves compare against trapping abilities? Are there any inherent benefits and disadvantages and if so, what are they?
(Metagame) Are there any particular archetype matchups in which a trapping-move Pokémon would have an advantage? A disadvantage? Why is that?
(Metagame) What has contributed to the lack of presence of trapping moves in our metagame? Is it a plethora of other options, a lack of viable abusers, or something else?
(Metagame) How does the trapping mechanic interact with the value of switching out?[/SIZE]
CAP23 should target and dismantle:
a. Defensive pivots/walls (e.g. doesn't use VoltTurn): Tomohawk, Toxapex, Tangrowth, Arghonaut, Pyroak, Mollux, Mega Venusaur, Zapdos
If successfully trapped, these Pokemon will have a difficult time against CAP23, through CAP23's offensive coverage or utility.

CAP23 should target and pressure (Pokemon that have methods to escape CAP23 and should not threaten a healthy CAP23 AND offensive Pokemon that CAP23 naturally checks):
b. VoltTurn pivots: Landorus-T, Rotom-W, Volkraken, other VoltTurners whose coverage CAP23 resists
These are VoltTurn pivots we should not lose to. CAP23 has a general type advantage over these, so they should be pressured into switching out, rather than having a free U-turn or Volt Switch.
c. Offensive Pokemon: Excadrill, Volcarona, Keldeo, Tapu Bulu, Mega Charizard Y, Calm Mind Naviathan, other Pokemon whose coverage CAP23 resists
CAP23 should generally not lose to Pokemon whose moves are resisted: as such, these Pokemon should fear CAP23 to some degree.

CAP23 should be checked by:
d. Offensive Steel-types: Kitsunoh, Dragon Dance Naviathan, Mega Mawile, Bisharp
e. Ice-types: Syclant, Kyurem-B, Ninetales-A
These Pokemon have the coverage, bulk, or power to tackle CAP23.
f. Dragon-types: Zygarde, Mega Charizard X, Latios, Garchomp
g. Ghost-types: Mimikyu, Kitsunoh, Gengar
These two types have a type advantage over CAP23, but the reverse is also true, so they are checks.
h. Dark-types: Ash-Greninja, Greninja, Colossoil, Mega Sableye, Mega Sharpedo, Mega Gyarados
i. Fairy-types: Tapu Lele, Kerfluffle, Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Clefable
These Pokemon have the bulk, super-effective STAB-boosted coverage, or other qualities to check CAP23.

CAP23 should be countered by:
j. Skarmory, Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Tapu Fini
These Pokemon generally have the bulk to take on a Ghost-type STAB, resist or are immune to CAP23's Dragon-type STAB, and generally do not care about CAP23's trapping effect. Tapu Fini in particular blocks CAP23's ability to use Toxic.

Topic Leader: snake_rattler
Typing Leader: HeaLnDeaL
Ability Leader: LucarioOfLegends
Stats Leader: reachzero
Movepool Leader: cbrevan

Last edited:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello folks, welcome to movepool submissions. Here we're aiming to give Pajantom a fully fleshed out movepool that reflects both it's design and concept.

Make sure you read through the OP in full and follow the submission rules to the letter. snake_rattler and I will be closely monitoring the thread to ensure the legality of submissions, and I would hate to see someone get DQ'd because they didn't read the rules fully.

As far as moves go, if it's not banned it's probably fair game to include. Obviously don't include moves that have been banned, but also use your common sense in judging whether a move is appropriate for the CAP. If you're unsure about anything, feel free to tag me or snake_rattler for feedback on it. Also, make sure you provide an adequate explanation behind all your choices. It's not required, but a proper explanation and reasoning will go a long ways when it comes time to poll. It also makes reading through submissions that much more enjoyable.

Now, with no further ado, movepool submissions are open!

EDIT: It was brought to my attention that I forgot to include phazing moves in the Banned Moves list. Because of how Sleep Talk and Comatose interact, a set with phazing moves + Sleep Talk would be able to use phazing moves without the negative priority. While it may not be the most competitive strategy, it's sufficiently cheesey and distracting enough from the overall goal of this CAP to ban them.

Last edited:
WIP

- Yawn
- Rest
- Snore
4 - Scratch
6 - Lick
9 - Infestation
12 - Sleep Talk
16 - Dream Eater
19 - Dragon Claw
23 - Flail
25 - Snore
29 - Rage
35 - Spirit Shackle
41 - Phantom Force
46 - Psychic Fangs
52 - Fairy Lock
57 - Heal Block
64 - Anchor Shot
71 - Laser Focus
78 - Outrage
For this one, I have a story of sorts. So imagine Pajantom being somewhere, perhaps on a bed. It's feeling pretty sleepy (Yawn), and it falls asleep (Rest). It lies there, peacefully dozing off (Snore). But then, a little fly comes by! It tries to scratch and lick away the little bug (Scratch & Lick) while sleeping due to pure instinct, but it sadly doesn't work. All of a sudden, the bed is being infested with bed bugs (Infestation)! That's not good! As the bugs are climbing up and all, our little baby dragon is mumbling in its sleep, being disturbed by our little intruders (Sleep Talk). It seems to be having a dream, and as of a result sucks up all of the dreams of the bugs around it (Dream Eater!) However, these bugs have bad dreams. As such, a monster has appeared in the dream! Our sleepy friend tries to fight the big bad monster off, although it ends up sleep clawing (Dragon Claw) (Deal with it it's like sleepwalking) in the process. The monster captures our sleepy dragon, and it flails in pain (Flail)! It also does so in the real world. However, he eventually stops moving, and is enjoying a peaceful sleep once more (Snore). It seems that the monster was just trying to wake him up so that he could stop the bugs! However, our little baby dragon is too scared to do it alone. It also was enjoying its dream very much, and doesn't want to wake up. So the monster makes a deal where the monster manifests itself while the sleepy dragon can enjoy the dream. Our sleepy friend accepts, and our dream dragon is born! It unleashes a huge fit of rage as soon as it manifests itself (Rage), scaring all of the other bugs away! However, our dreamgon traps all of the bugs' souls before they can escape (Spirit Shackle)! It then dissappears, and proceeds to come out of nowehere and strike (Phantom Force)! It then chews them up and spits them out with its psychic energy (Psychic Fangs)! It then prevents them from recovering in any way (Heal Block), and magically transforms into an Anchor, slamming the bugs (Anchor Shot)! It then sets its sights on the last bug and focuses really hard (Laser Focus). It then releases all of its frustration in one gigantic attack (Outrage)!

Yeah, I went all out on this one. I purposely wrote this like a children's story, as Pajantom seems to have a childish theme. The story is basically my reasoning for why I put the moves where they are, although I made sure that the most powerful move it got rather early on (As in before level 20) is Dragon Claw. Also, I thought Dream Eater would fit well since our pokemon is always dreaming. As for level-up patterns, I did a mix of 2-3-4 in between each move until level 29, where it becomes a 6 level gap, followed by 6s and 5s up until level 64, where it's a 7 level gap for the remaining moves.
TM02 Dragon Claw
TM03 Psyshock
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM52 Focus Blast
TM54 False Swipe
TM59 Brutal Swing
TM68 Giga Impact
TM71 Stone Edge
TM78 Bulldoze
TM80 Rock Slide
TM81 X-Scissor
TM83 Infestation
TM85 Dream Eater
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM97 Dark Pulse
TM100 Confide
I mostly thought a pokemon based on dreams would get a lot of elemental moves, as those are pretty common in fiction. The pokemon dreaming that it could shoot lightning and unleash what are basically Pokemon kamehamehas (Focus Blast) makes a whole lot of sense to me. I also gave it X-Scissor to increase its Bug move count, and it also is non-competitive as Leech Life has the same power.
Egg Groups: Dragon / Field

Toxic Spikes (Nidoking, Dragalge)
Brave Bird (Farfetch'd, Blaziken)
Ice Punch (Scrafty, Dragonite, Nidoking, Primeape, etc.)
Dual Chop (Primeape, Blaziken, Scrafty, Garchomp, etc.)
Psychic Fangs (Stoutland)
Comet Punch (Pangoro)
Ice Fang (Arbok, Granbull, Mightyena, Mawile, etc.)
I simply put moves that were required but didn't fit in level up here. I also added Dual Chop to give it a low power Dragon STAB, Comet Punch because the idea of it throwing a thousand fists is adorably epic to me, and Ice Fang since it already has two biting moves as is in Leech Life and Psychic Fangs. Finally, I added Psychic Fangs to here too for consistency.
Draco Meteor
Bug Bite
Ice Punch
Block
Iron Tail
Bind
Snore
Role Play
Shock Wave
Wonder Room
Magic Room

If someone could double check that I got 75 unique moves in total, that'd be great.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Total moves: 71 (8 duplicates)

1 Snore
1 Astonish
5 Psywave
9 Bind
13 Sleep Talk
17 Dragon Breath
22 Heal Block
27 Nightmare
32 Psychic Fangs
37 Spirit Shackle
43 Brave Bird
49 Dream Eater
55 Phantom Force
61 Outrage
Moves are learned at increasing delays (4-4-4-4, 5-5-5-5, 6-6-6-6) similar to Shuppet and Axew, since I can envision Pajantom learning to control its giant dream version pretty slowly. The high late delays also allow for a potential pre-evolution to not have to learn its late moves too quickly.

The first part of the moveset is made of weak or support moves, representing how Pajantom has not reached its full potential yet and has to rely on trickery and hindering the foe rather than straight-out attacking. Due to the mental nature of dreaming I also wanted to include several Psychic-type moves.

- Snore is a perfect starting move for an always-asleep Pokémon.
- Astonish is a common early move for Ghosts. At this point Pajantom has very little control on its dream half, so the best it can do is just popping up for a quick scare (that, or the small dragon has a sudden jolt in its sleep and catches the opponent by surprise).
- Psywave references brainwaves, REM sleep or something; notably Misdreavus gets it as a starting move.
- Bind is the first trapping move, included as a reference to sleep paralysis.
- Sleep Talk shares Snore's reasoning, and as the fifth move learned it has at least a full 4-move movepool from which to choose.
- Dragon Breath is a standard low-level move for Dragons.
- Heal Block and Nightmare act as directly hindering moves, and are the last moves learned before Pajantom starts learning how to actually wreck stuff.
- Psychic Fangs is the point when Pajantom starts to master its projection, using its illusory fangs to attack. Said illusory nature is why I decided to not include any other biting move (that, and movepool bloat).
- Spirit Shackle is next as Pajantom first strong STAB move and the core of its trapper concept.
- Brave Bird is odd as a level-up move, but it represents the common dream of flying.
- Dream Eater is another sleep-based flavour move, and represents Pajantom's increased control over dreams (would it cound as cannibalism, though?).
- Phantom Force and Outrage conclude the moveset, being among the strongest moves of their types. Outrage in particular represents full mastery of Pajantom's inner dragon.

Group: Dragon/Field

Dragon Pulse (Deino, others)
Fairy Lock (Smeargle)
Iron Tail (Smeargle, Axew <- Aron, others)
Psybeam (Munna, others)
Toxic Spikes (Nidoran, others)
Zen Headbutt (Munna, others)

- Fairy Lock is required, and my level-up movepool already includes two signature/semi-signature moves so I'd prefer not going overboard.
- Dragon Pulse is a common level-up/egg move for Dragons, including the similarly physically-biased Axew
- Psybeam and Zen Headbutt reinforce Pajantom's Psychic pseudo-typing (notably, both can be inherited from the sleep-related Munna) and are mostly outclassed by other options.
- Iron Tail is required, and is overall common as an egg move.

02 Dragon Claw
03 Psyshock
06 Toxic
10 Hidden Power
11 Sunny Day
13 Ice Beam
14 Blizzard
15 Hyper Beam
17 Protect
18 Rain Dance
20 Safeguard
21 Frustration
26 Earthquake
27 Return
28 Leech Life
29 Psychic
30 Shadow Ball
32 Double Team
39 Rock Tomb
40 Aerial Ace
42 Facade
44 Rest
45 Attract
46 Thief
48 Round
54 False Swipe
59 Brutal Swing
63 Embargo
65 Shadow Claw
66 Payback
67 Smart Strike
68 Giga Impact
71 Stone Edge
76 Fly
77 Psych Up
78 Bulldoze
80 Rock Slide
83 Infestation
85 Dream Eater
87 Swagger
88 Sleep Talk
90 Substitute
92 Trick Room
97 Dark Pulse
100 Confide
- Dragon/Shadow Claw and Shadow Ball are pretty much required by Pajantom's typing and design. Trick Room is common on Ghosts, even fast ones like Gengar and Mismagius.
- Earthquake, Leech Life, Stone Edge and Infestation are required and fitting, either for a strong physical attacker or a Ghost-type.
- Bulldoze and Rock Slide/Rock Tomb are implied by Earthquake and Stone Edge.
- Thief, Dark Pulse, Brutal Swing, Payback and Embargo are Dark-type moves fitting Pajantom's more nightmarish side. They are also redundant with its Ghost STAB.
- Safeguard, as a counterpoint, represents a gentler side of this slumbering beast, and is mostly made redundant by Comatose. It is also commonly learned by Ghosts in later generations.
- Aerial Ace and False Swipe are common cutting moves, fitting Pajantom's projection's large claws (compare with Garchomp).
- Fly is, like Brave Bird, a reference to dreams of flying.
- Smart Strike fits the projection's horns, and is outclassed by the mandatory Anchor Shot.
- Psyshock, Psychic and the repeated Dream Eater follow Pajantom's pseudo-Psychic typing mentioned above, and are pretty much useless due to its low Special Attack. Psych Up is in the same general category, but might have some more useful applications.
- Ice Beam and Blizzard are here to not make Ice Punch feel completely out of place and, again, are useless Special moves.
- The rest are universal or near-universal moves. Sunny Day and Rain Dance are extremely common even on seemingly-unfitting Pokémon like Gengar and Snorlax. Rest is unusable with Comatose, but since at this stage it is not yet known whether Pajantom will get a second ability I decided to leave it in.

Bind (R)
Block
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse (R)
Dual Chop
Ice Punch
Iron Tail (R)
Laser Focus
Outrage (R)
Snore (R)
Telekinesis
Throat Chop
Zen Headbutt (R)

- Draco Meteor is universal on Dragons.
- Thanks to the new tutors Ice Punch and Laser Focus can be here instead of being shoehorned elsewhere.
- Telekinesis is pretty much universal on Ghosts.
- Dual Chop fits a physically-inclined Dragon, and is mostly redundant with Dragon Claw / Outrage.
- Block is yet another trapping move.
- Throat Chop is yet another brutal Dark move.

Last edited:

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Final Submission

Well, I've had a blast designing a movepool for Pajantom, so I suppose I ought to give a simple summary. I've borrowed a fair amount of theming from Freud, emphasising the duality that Pajantom's design screams. Pokemon I've borrowed a lot of movepool ideas in particular from include Tyrantrum, Turtonator, Gengar, and Mismagius.

More notes are in the hide tags, so I hope you enjoy reading through 'em!

- Brave Bird
- Fairy Lock
- Dragon Rage
- Sleep Talk
- Astonish
- Haze
3 Astonish (R)
6 Haze (R)
13 Embargo
15 Substitute
18 Ice Fang
21 Spite
28 Mist
30 Nightmare
32 Shadow Claw
34 Imprison
38 Crunch
40 Heal Block
42 Dragon Claw
44 Spirit Shackle
48 Psychic Fangs
50 Phantom Force

22 Moves. Although a reasonably large Level Up movepool, it's certainly not unheard of for a SM Pokemon - this is actually the same length as Salazzle's SM movepool, and two moves shorter than the USUM learn list for Decidueye.

General Theming
Alright, so our LU pattern for moves starts at a pretty consistent 3/3/7/2, forming a simple chain of 15 Levels. We repeat this cycle twice, at which point we learn Nightmare and speed up. From here, the cycle speeds up to a 2/2/4/2 cycle, finishing at an aesthetically pleasing Level 50. These cycles were both based on how 90 minute sleep cycles roughly function - although obviously divided down from a full 90 levels.

Id, Super-Ego, Ego
In general, I have split Pajantom's movepool up into three distinct types of moves. Pajantom is essetially the manifestation of the Id and the Super-Ego (With the Ego balancing them).

The Id are the purely damaging moves, that don't place new restrictions on the opponent - these are the moves which Pajantom enjoys using. This is Dragon Claw, Shadow Claw, Psychic Fangs.

The Super-Ego represents the moves which restrict. They might damage, but you don't use them for that aspect. This is Pajantom attempting to enforce it's views onto others, this is Fairy Lock, Heal Block, Spirit Shackle.

Then the Ego sits between these two, mediating for them, with moves which are designed to use the rules that are set. These moves don't make new rules, and they don't have instant release. This is Nightmare, Haze, and Phantom Force, moves which will at the end of the day win the fight, but it might take a few moments first.

... yes, well, that's nice thematics, but you'd be right in asking how that's used in the movepool. As a rule, there is never a double-up when it comes to Id, Ego, and Super-Ego. The movepool starts with the Ego keeping Id and Super-Ego moves apart. However, at Level 30, Pajantom suffers a great Nightmare that terrifies the ego away, causing Id and Super-Ego to constantly fight for control of Pajantom, before Pajantom finally regains control with Phantom Force. This means that the movepool generally curves well between a variety of move options, and also brings some cute flavour to the table.

Cold and Mystical
Much of Pajantom's movepool draws influence from the fact that it's required moves are mystical in nature, whilst it also is the first Ghost-Type to not pick up Will-O-Wisp. As such, I have emphasised the mystical theming through Imprison and Psychic Fangs being in the Level Up movepool, whilst also including the distinctly 'cold' moves of Mist, Haze, and Ice Fang.

Specific Moves
For our Heart Scale options, we have Brave Bird and Fairy Lock. I imagine Brave Bird is a touch weird here. My thinking here is that Pajantom can manifest items from it's nightmarish body, but only based on it's memory. Know what a baby will see before it goes to sleep? A mobile! Heart Scales allow Pajantom to recover the memory of these birds and channel it into an attack.

Fairy Lock is the only Heart Scale 'Super-Ego' move, and it's a move which very much relies on the 'Super-Ego as a rule' mindset. Fairy Lock, after all, is one of the fairest 'rules' in that both Pajantom and the opponent are hit by it. With that said, the reason it's a Heart Scale move is because Pajantom keeps on breaking the rule it set, since Ghost-Types ignore trapping, so the rule is eventually completely forgotten.

Substitute is very early on, but it makes sense - the small dragon is practically a Substitute, and it's hardly a stretch to imagine that Pajantom would use the small dragon to absorb hits as needed.
- Bite (Muk-A)
- Belch (Muk-A)
- Flail (Magikarp)
- Lucky Chant (Mismagius)
- Toxic Spikes (Cofagrigus)

5 Egg Moves, which is pretty much bog standard for Sun/Moon (I think the average is like 4.3?)

Bite is here to compliment Crunch, Ice Fang, and Psychic Fangs in the Level Up movepool.

Belch plays off the theme of being a Baby... more specifically, one which throws up.

Flail is one borrowed from Komala, but the idea of flailing in your sleep is one that's aesthetically pleasing and needed to be somewhere in here, in my opinion.

Lucky Chant is a move which is very much using the notion of Pajantom's memories. In this case, Pajantom's parents enjoy singing it lullabies (Sing being banned means that a Chant is as close as we get :P) when it's in the egg, which it then can replicate having heard them enough.

Toxic Spikes are a bit of a flavour miss, but they can be seen as the spikes of Pajantom's back being thrown across the floor.
Draco Meteor
Dual Chop
Drill Run
Ice Punch
Foul Play
Icy Wind
Dragon Pulse
Iron Tail
Snore
Gastro Acid
Spite (R)
Wonder Room
Outrage
Snatch
Throat Chop
Laser Focus

Alright, so Draco Meteor, Outrage, Dual Chop, and Dragon Pulse are all standard Dragon-typed fare. Outrage is only in LU for 50% of Dragon Types (Notably excluding Salamence, Garchomp, and Tyrantrum, who are good to emulate), which is why it's only down here.

Foul Play, Snatch, and Spite are all standard Ghost-Type moves, and Wonder Room is common on Ghosts with mystical theming.

Drill Run and Throat Chop are both fairly common on Pokemon with spikes and a horn, which Pajantom falls under. Throat Chop also makes a thematic win for being a move which would stop people from trying to wake Pajantom up (with Heal Bell, Uproar, and even the Blue Flute).

Established in the Level Up movepool is Pajantom being slightly cold - in terms of learning Ice Fang etc.. As such, Ice Punch and Icy Wind are no-brainer expansions to Pajantom's movepool.

Iron Tail is a move that Pajantom has but doesn't have to like - primarily because it involves the Dreamgon literally using the poor Baby Dragon as a flail to beat an opponent with.

Laser Focus is included because it's mandatory, and beyond that has a distribution which is summed up as 'viable flavour on literally anything'.

Snore... do we need to justify Snore on an eternally sleeping mon?

Gastro Acid is here for the same reason that Belch is in the Egg Movepool, and that is to represent the idea of the small dragon being a baby, and hence prone to throwing up.
TM02 Dragon Claw (R)
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM59 Brutal Swing
TM63 Embargo (R)
TM65 Shadow Claw (R)
TM67 Smart Strike
TM68 Giga Impact
TM71 Stone Edge
TM76 Fly
TM77 Psych Up
TM78 Bulldoze
TM80 Rock Slide
TM83 Infestation
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk (R)
TM90 Substitute (R)
TM92 Trick Room
TM97 Dark Pulse
TM100 Confide

Most of the choices here are to emphasise mystical theming that is standard to ghosts (Trick Room, Psychic), are mandatory, or are move-move correlated with the aforementioned mandatory moves. For more specific exclusion/inclusions...

Fire/Ice/Electric... or not.
Usually a Dragon of this strength will have Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Ice Beam / Blizzard / Thunderbolt / Thunder, or at least four thereof. However, Fire and Electricity both have the notion of proving 'heat', and are thus not wantable options for our colder aesthetic, and have thus been removing, leaving us with just Ice Beam and Blizzard.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's... justification for Brave Bird!
Aerial Ace and Fly are included to ensure that Brave Bird is only moderately weird. Acrobatics is excluded, since Acrobatics usually implies not having Brave Bird (Something like 116/123 of mons with Acrobatics don't have Brave Bird according to veekun).

(Not So) Poisonous
Not having Sludge Wave and Sludge Bomb was a choice that I mulled over for a while, especially with Gastro Acid and Belch. However, it makes a lot of sense when you look up precedent. Belch is generally not hugely correlated with other poison-type moves, and the only non-UB non-Poison type with Belch + Gastro Acid (Heatmor) doesn't have Sludge Wave or Sludge Bomb either. As such, I decided against including Sludge Wave/Bomb.

Mandatory competitive in bold, mandatory universal TMs in italics.

Aerial Ace
Astonish
Attract
Belch
Bite
Blizzard
Brave Bird
Brutal Swing
Bulldoze
Confide
Crunch
Dark Pulse
Double Team
Draco Meteor
Dragon Claw
Dragon Pulse
Dragon Rage
Dream Eater
Drill Run
Dual Chop
Earthquake
Embargo
Facade
Fairy Lock
Flail
Fly
Foul Play
Frustration
Gastro Acid
Giga Impact
Haze
Heal Block
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Ice Beam
Ice Fang
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Imprison
Infestation
Iron Tail
Laser Focus
Leech Life
Lucky Chant
Mist
Nightmare
Outrage
Phantom Force
Protect
Psych Up
Psychic
Psychic Fangs
Rain Dance
Rest
Return
Rock Slide
Rock Tomb
Round
Shadow Ball
Shadow Claw
Sleep Talk
Smart Strike
Snatch
Snore
Spirit Shackle
Spite
Stone Edge
Substitute
Swagger
Thief
Throat Chop
Toxic
Toxic Spikes
Trick Room
Wonder Room

Last edited:
WIP

We might as well make up an egg group to help egg moves along.
(Egg group for refference: Dragon/Field)

~~Spirit Shackle~~
~~Phantom Force~~
~~Dragon Claw~~
~~Outrage~~
~~Brave Bird~~
~~Earthquake~~
~~Ice Punch~~
~~Anchor Shot~~
~~Iron Tail~~
~~Leech Life~~
~~Psychic Fangs~~
~~Stone Edge~~

~~Infestation~~
~~Fairy Lock~~
~~Heal Block~~
~~Lazer Focus~~
~~Toxic Spikes~~

~~Substitute~~
~~Protect~~
~~Toxic~~

The "universal" TM/Tutor List for fully evolved Pokemon: Attract, Confide, Double Team, Facade, Frustration, Giga Impact, Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Protect, Rest, Return, Round, Secret Power, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Snore, Swagger, Toxic

-Anchor shot
-Yawn
-Nightmare
-Grudge
-Hypnosis
1- Scratch
1- Fairy Lock
5- Astonish
8- Bite
13- Shadow Sneak
18- Dragon rage
21- Snore
27 - Dragon Claw
32- Dream Eater
37- Shadow claw
40 - Heal block
45- Spirit Shackle
50- Dragon rush
55 - Phantom force
62 - Outrage

Toxic spikes - dragalge
Brave bird- Blaziken
Lazer focus- Lucario (hah furry)
Iron Tail - Lucario (again furry)
Psychic Fangs - Stoutland
Ice Punch - Scraftyy

TM 06- Toxic
TM 10 - Protect
TM 17- Protect
TM26- Eathquake
TM 28- Leech Life
TM 52 - Focus Blast
TM 65 - Shadow Claw
TM 71- Stone Edge
TM 83- Infestation
TM 90- Substitute

Draco meteor

Last edited:
Final Submission

Bolded Moves Mandatory

Asterisk Moves Repeated*

1 - Spirit Shackle
1 - Anchor Shot
1 - Rollout
1 - Bide
1 - Sweet Kiss
1 - Fairy Lock
5 - Astonish
9 - Imprison
14 - Dragon Breath
18 - Psywave
23 - Night Shade
27 - Haze
32 - Spirit Shackle*
36 - Dragon Claw
41 - Heal Block
45 - Psychic Fangs
50 - Brave Bird
54 - Phantom Force
59 - Outrage

Total unique moves: 18 (*Spirit Shackle repeats)

Like many other submissions, my level up moves tell a bit of a story. In my mind Pajantom is a peaceful, passive napping little monster. The little guy isn't interested in battle, but as he naps, a dream sequences begins, and slowly manifests into a terrifying nightmarish astral projection, which comes to its defense.

To start, we have Rollout, a common low level move found on other cute-mons, such as Jigglypuff, Marill and Komala. Bide shows how passive our little dragon is and wishes nothing more than to hunker down for a snooze. Sweet Kiss is a cute way to send the little guy off to dreamland, and makes its confused opponent reluctant to attack. Fairy Lock queues off Pajantom’s signature trapping motive from the start, although it only prevents the foe from leaving from a turn.

Now that we’re all tucked in with our default moves, Astonish is our first STAB move and is a low power physical Ghost attack, and signifies the beginning of a dream sequence. Imprison is also meant to represent the dream sequence, and suggests Pajantom has entered sleep paralysis. Dragon Breath marks our first Dragon STAB attacking move, and still sounds passive enough, as what little dragon doesn't murmur in his sleep? Psywave comes next, indicating EEG brain waves, and foreshadowing Pajantom's more powerful Psychic coverage moves yet to come.

With Night Shade, our peaceful dream sequence begins to take a darker tone. Next, the dream "Haze" begins to coalesce, as a nightmarish specter becomes more defined and more terrifying. The Nightmare now attacks back in full force, with the signature Spirit Shackle. Paralyzed by fear, the trap is now sprung. Truly this nightmare is an abomination, as any attempt to "Heal" from the attack is "Blocked". The nightmare then strikes with its Dragon Claw attack (Freddy Krueger style!), followed by the formidable Psychic Fangs and Brave Bird’s dreams of flight. The phantom's attempt to go in for its trapped prey's kill finishes with the coup de gras powerful twin attacking STABS of Phantom Force and Outrage!

My level up moves follow the same learn pattern as Dhelmise, a fellow 7th gen Ghost type, and one which also utilizes trapping moves. Spirit Shackle and Anchor Shot are Move Relearner moves which cement Pajantom's core trapping concept.

Notable flavor omissions: with the removal of Hypnosis and Yawn as options, it didn’t make sense to me to include Dream Eater and Nightmare, as flavor options. Alas, sleep status moves were not meant to be.

Anchor Shot is the most controversial move here. I understand the debate, but I am still of the opinion that the move is particularly important for our concept if Pajantom wants to trap Chansey reliably without using niche sets utilizing Infestation or Sand Tomb. These moves are pitiful from a damage standpoint and can miss, and I feel we are really doing ourselves a disservice from a design standpoint if we make a physcially attacking trapmon, that cannot reliably trap and remove the primeier special wall. Doing so makes Pajantom harder to pair with a special sweeper. Allowing Anchor Shot allows this flexibility.

TM02 Dragon Claw*
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power

TM13 Ice Beam
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect

TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life

TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round

TM54 False Swipe
TM59 Brutal Swing
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM67 Smart Strike
TM68 Giga Impact
TM71 Stone Edge

TM76 Fly
TM80 Rock Slide
TM81 X-Scissor
TM83 Infestation
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute

TM92 Trick Room
TM94 Surf
TM97 Dark Pulse
TM100 Confide

Total unique moves: 36 (Dragon Claw* repeats from Level Up moves)

What you see here is a fairly conservative TM List. Aside from all the default required ones (Protect, Toxic, Substitute, etc.), I generally stuck to Dragon and Ghost moves, which obviously are a given with our typing, but also our agreed coverage typings of Psychic, Ice, Flying, Bug, Ground, Steel and Rock. One outlier from other sets I’ve seen posted is that I opted to not include Psyshock here. Psyshock is commonly not included in non-Psychic lines in game, and is obviously competitively useless for Pajantom.

Also included are Dark moves for the flavor of sleeping in darkness, but generally speaking these moves add nothing for coverage, hitting the same targets as Ghost moves, without the STAB.

I also decided to include water moves in my pool, and which is why you see Rain Dance and Surf, as Water coverage does not hamper our check last list. Water coverage is generally an inferior option to hitting Landorus and Colossoil to Ice Surf, but it does allow Pajantom to hit Tyranitar and fire types. I opted not to include Poison moves, as I found messing with Tapu Fini in any capacity unattractive. Lastly, I included Trick Room, as many Ghost types have it included in their pool, regardless of higher speed.

Dragon/Amorphous Egg Group

Aqua Tail (Dragalge, Dragonite, Goodra, Gyarados, Milotic)
Bite (Arbok, Druddigon, Gyarados, Muk-A, Salamence, Seviper, Tyrantrum)
Confuse Ray (Chandelure, Dusnoir, Gengar, Gourgeist, Spiritomb, Rotom)
Ice Fang (Arbok, Gyarados, Hydreigon, Tyrantrum)
Moonblast (Altaria, Gardevoir)
Toxic Spikes (Cofagrious, Dragalge, Weezing)
Total moves: 6

I’m keeping it limited for egg moves, as seems to be the case with many gen 7 mons. Toxic Spikes is the only required move here. Aqua Tail gives Pajantom a physical water attack, as is a common move on Dragons. Ice Fang and Bite are here to accompany Psychic Fangs as a biting move. Confuse Ray is common on Ghosts. Lastly we have Moonblast which gives some Fairy flavor to accompany Fairy Lock, and the moon theme is appropriate with the sleeping aspect of Pajantom’s design.

Bind
Block
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Drill Run
Dual Chop
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Iron Tail
Laser Focus
Outrage*
Snore

Telekinesis
Wonder Room
Zen Headbutt
Total unique moves: 14 (*Outrage repeats from Level Up moves)

Bind and Block suit our trapping concept. Dragon Meteor/Pulse and Outrage are standards on Dragons. Drill Run is common on many horned mons. Ice Punch, Laser Focus and Iron Tail are all required moves, and Icy Wind just reenforces the phantom’s cold natured attaacks. Telekinesis, Wonder Room and Zen Headbutt all contribute to our psychic minded, astral projection flavor. Snore should need to explanation on our sleepyhead. ;)

Aerial Ace
Anchor Shot
Aqua Tail
Astonish
Attract
Bide
Bind
Bite
Block
Brave Bird
Brutal Swing
Confide
Confuse Ray
Dark Pulse
Double Team
Dragon Breath
Dragon Claw
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Drill Run
Dual Chop
Earthquake
Facade
Fairy Lock

False Swipe
Fly
Frustration
Giga Impact

Haze
Heal Block
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam

Ice Beam
Ice Fang
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Imprison
Infestation
Iron Tail
Laser Focus
Leech Life

Moonblast
Night Shade
Outrage
Phantom Force
Protect

Psychic
Psychic Fangs
Psywave
Rain Dance
Rest
Return

Rock Tomb
Rock Slide
Rollout
Round
Shadow Ball
Shadow Claw
Sleep Talk
Smart Strike
Snore
Spirit Shackle
Stone Edge
Substitute
Swagger

Sweet Kiss
Surf
Telekinesis
Toxic
Toxic Spikes

Trick Room
Wonder Room
X-Scissor
Zen Headbutt

Last edited:
W.I.P.
New Move Tutors from USUM leaks!
-Scratch
-Snore
-Lick
6 Lick
14 Bite
23 Substitute
26 Infestation
30 Fairy Lock
33 Dragon Claw
36 Iron Tail
39 Night Daze
40 Icicle Crash
43 Fairy Lock
45 Lazer Focus
48 Spirit Shackle
51 Phantom Force
58 Close Combat
60 Steamroller
61 Heal Block
67 Anchor Shot
70 Outrage
72 Throat Chop
75 Brave Bird
77 Stone Edge
80 Ice Punch
83 Crunch

TM15 Hyper Beam
TM28 Leech Life
TM06 Toxic
TM95 Snarl
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM17 Protect
TM90 Substitute
TM32 Double Team
TM87 Swagger
TM45 Attract
TM100 Confide
TM27 Return
TM21 Frustration
TM10 Hidden Power
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM48 Round
TM80 Rock Slide
TM28 Leech Life
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM26 Earthquake
TM83 Infestation
TM02 Dragon Claw
TM71 Stone Edge
TM64 Explosion
TM67 Smart Strike
TM94 Surf
TM46 Thief

(It's in the Amorphus and Field Egg Group)
Toxic Spikes (Weezing, Smeargle, Nidoran♀, Nidoking and Dragagle)
Psychic Fangs (Stoutland and Smeargle)
Brave Bird (Blaziken, Smeargle and Pajantom)
Moonblast (Gardevoir, Gallade, Smeargle and A-Ninetales)
Outrage (Primeape, Arcanine, Pajantom, Smeargle, Granbull, Krookodile and Incineroar)
Leech Life (Alolan Sandslash, Incineroar, Smeargle, Pajantom and Mimikyu)
Anchor Shot (Smeargle and Pajantom)
Spirit Shackle (Smeargle and Pajantom)

Draco Meteor
Zen Headbutt
Uproar
Thunder Punch
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Hyper Voice
Iron Tail
Role Play
Stomping Tantrum
Lazer Focus
Throat Chop
Helping Hand
Sky Attack
Knock Off
Outrage
Recycle
Bounce

Bounce
Recycle
Knock Off
Sky Attack
Helping Hand
Hyper Voice
Thunder Punch
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Uproar
Zen Headbutt
Scratch
Snore
Lick
Night Daze
Bite
Substitute
Infestation
Fairy Lock
Dragon Claw
Iron Tail
Lazer Focus
Spirit Shackle
Phantom Force

Close Combat
Steamroller
Heal Block
Anchor Shot
Outrage
Throat Chop
Brave Bird
Stone Edge
Ice Punch

Crunch
Draco Meteor
Moon Blast
Toxic Spikes
Leech Life
Psychic Fangs
Toxic

Explosion
Surf
Smart Strike
Thief
Rock Slide
Swagger
Double Team
Shadow Claw
Round
Confide
Frustration
Hyper Beam
Attract
Protect
Hidden Power
Return
Snarl
Rock Tomb
Earthquake

Night Daze: I see it fitting with the Nightmare Dragon using its dark night energy and bursting it making it a dark shock at the foe.
Close Combat and Steamroller: They're a reference to that Jojo Pajantom post. In other words they are both Jojo references.
Infestation: Bed bugs, ya gotta hate em and especially nightmares of em.

Last edited:
Final Submission
Total: 71 moves

-- Scratch
-- Astonish
-- Growl
-- Snore
05 Wrap
09 Bite
12 Imprison
15 Dragon Rage
19 Safeguard
23 Dragon Breath
26 Crunch
29 Shadow Claw
32 Psychic Fangs
35 Nightmare
39 Dream Eater
42 Phantom Force
45 Dragon Rush
50 Heal Block
55 Spirit Shackle
60 Outrage
70 Giga Impact
Fairy Lock (Smeargle)
Future Sight (Espeon)
Brave Bird (Blaziken)
Toxic Spikes (Nidoqueen)
TM 02 Dragon Claw
TM 06 Toxic
TM 07 Hail
TM 10 Hidden Power
TM 11 Sunny Day
TM 15 Hyper Beam
TM 17 Protect
TM 18 Rain Dance
TM 20 Safeguard
TM 21 Frustration
TM 26 Earthquake
TM 27 Return
TM 28 Leech Life
TM 29 Psychic
TM 30 Shadow Ball
TM 32 Double Team
TM 39 Rock Tomb
TM 40 Aerial Ace
TM 42 Facade
TM 45 Attract
TM 48 Round
TM 49 Echoed Voice
TM 54 False Swipe
TM 59 Brutal Swing
TM 65 Shadow Claw
TM 68 Giga Impact

TM 71 Stone Edge
TM 78 Bulldoze
TM 80 Rock Slide
TM 83 Infestation
TM 85 Dream Eater
TM 87 Swagger
TM 88 Sleep Talk
TM 90 Substitute
TM 92 Trick Room
TM 97 Dark Pulse
TM 100 Confide
Bind
Block
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Dual Chop
Gastro Acid
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Iron Tail
Laser Focus
Outrage
Snore

Spite
Throat Chop
Zen Headbutt

Last edited:
I'll edit a movepool into this space later, but I'd like to ask a question first: why is Secret Power a required move for Pajantom despite losing its status as a TM learned by all fully-evolved Pokemon?

Edit:

WIP

Bold
= Mandatory Move
Italics = Repeated Move

62 Moves Total

-- Sleep Talk
-- Rest
-- Snore
-- Nightmare
-- Dream Eater
-04 Psywave
-07 Smokescreen
-10 Dragon Rage
-14 Dragon Breath
-18 Shadow Claw
-20 Mean Look
-28 Imprison
-35 Hex
-38 Dragon Claw
-41 Laser Focus
-49 Spirit Shackle
-56 Psychic Fangs
-59 Fairy Lock
-62 Heal Block
-70 Phantom Force
-77 Outrage
-80 Brave Bird
-83 Self-Destruct

Explanation coming soon!

Egg Groups: Amorphous / Dragon

-Endeavor (Treecko line / Solosis line / Axew line / Stunfisk)
-Future Sight (Ralts line / Castform / Chingling line / Duskull line / Solosis line)
-Ice Fang (Arbok / Gyarados / Deino line / Tyrunt line)
-Ice Punch (Grimer line / Gastly line / Dragonite / Ralts line / Gulpin line / Dusclops line / Scraggy line / Reuniclus)
-Iron Tail (Charmander line / Ekans line / Gyarados / Dratini line / Treecko line / Altaria / Seviper / Feebas line / Salamence / Gible line / Scraggy line / Axew line / Druddigon / Hydreigon line / Helioptile line / Skrelp line / Tyrunt line / Goomy line)
-Lucky Chant (Ralts line / Castform / Mismagius)
-Poison Gas (Grimer line / Koffing line / Gulpin line / Salandit line)
-Toxic Spikes (Koffing line / Yamask line / Skrelp line)
-Uproar (Gengar line / Koffing line / Gyarados / Misdreavus line / Swablu line / Spiritomb / Chimecho / Stunfisk)

Explanation coming soon!

-Draco Meteor

Draco Meteor is a mandatory move for Dragon-type Pokemon.

TM02 Dragon Claw
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect

TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life

TM29 Shadow Ball
TM30 Psychic
TM41 Aerial Ace
TM32 Double Team
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM68 Giga Impact
TM71 Stone Edge
TM83 Infestation

TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute

TM94 Surf
TM96 Fly
TM100 Confide

Explanation coming soon!

Last edited:
I would like to bring attention to a couple of moves (cbrevan snake_rattler):
- Speed controlling moves: Bulldoze and Rock Tomb, which could ruin incoming shaky checks.
- Z-Yawn raises Speed by one; it is one-use but, again, could wreck incoming checks while also forcing a switch.
- Shadow Sneak: is priority allowed?
- Torment, which has some interesting interactions with trapping.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission:

- Spirit Shackle
- Brave Bird
- Fairy Lock
- Snore
- Wrap
- Astonish
- Growl
6 - Snore^
8 - Wrap^
10 - Laser Focus
12 - Dragon Rage
17 - Poison Gas
19 - Dragon Breath
23 - Dragon Claw
28 - Toxic Spikes
30 - Heal Block
32 - Psychic Fangs
34 - Dragon Rush
37 - Haze
39 - Spirit Shackle^
45 - Phantom Force
53 - Outrage
Total: 22 Moves (3 Repeat)

For Level-Up Moves, Relearner moves are useful for oddball moves like Brave Bird and Fairy Lock, but most of our other choices share some similarities in typing. Pajantom's HS moves focus on its signature full trapping moves, and Brave Bird because Pajantom can reach new heights with its dreams. It's natural level-up movepool starts with more formless kinds of attacks like Dragon Breath and Poison Gas, and as it grows it becomes able to use its projection to realize physical hazards like Toxic Spikes, supplu mental energy to fuel Heal Block and Psychic Fangs, and strong STAB physical attacks culminating in Phantom Force and Outrage at the highest levels.

Level structure itself was pulled largely from Growlithe line (Arcanine and Pajantom have similar Base Stat Totals), except for levels after 34 since Arcanine is a stone evolution, and so a small increase in level from when Growlithe learns moves was appropriate. Most moves were placed at a level similar to when other Pokemon learn them (17 for Poison Gas, low levels for Spite and Laser Focus. Heal Block is all over the place learning-wise.)

Egg Group: Dragon / Monster)
Ice Fang (Arbok / Tyrantrum)
Iron Tail (Aggron)
Poison Fang (Arbok / Seviper)
Sand Tomb (Garchomp / Torterra)
Spite (Arbok)
Whirlpool (Lapras / Swampert)
Total: 6 Moves

Pajantom's Egg moves focus on rounding out its flavor with "cold" moves like Ice Fang, Ice Punch, and Spite (along with Haze in level-up) which explain why it can't use Ghost staples like Will-O-Wisp or any fire moves at all. Additionally it learns a few elemental partial trapping moves from breeding partners to further tie it into the concept of trapping.

TM 02 Dragon Claw^
TM 06 Toxic
TM 09 Venoshock
TM 10 Hidden Power
TM 15 Hyper Beam
TM 17 Protect
TM 18 Rain Dance
TM 21 Frustration
TM 26 Earthquake
TM 27 Return
TM 28 Leech Life
TM 29 Psychic
TM 30 Shadow Ball
TM 32 Double Team
TM 39 Rock Tomb
TM 40 Aerial Ace
TM 42 Facade
TM 44 Rest
TM 45 Attract
TM 48 Round
TM 59 Brutal Swing
TM 65 Shadow Claw
TM 67 Smart Strike
TM 68 Giga Impact
TM 71 Stone Edge
TM 76 Fly
TM 77 Psych Up
TM 78 Bulldoze
TM 80 Rock Slide
TM 83 Infestation
TM 85 Dream Eater
TM 87 Swagger
TM 88 Sleep Talk
TM 90 Substitute
TM 92 Trick Room
TM 94 Surf
TM 100 Confide
37 Moves (1 Repeat)
Bind
Block
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Drill Run
Dual Chop
Gastro Acid
Gravity
Helping Hand
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Iron Tail^
Laser Focus^
Outrage^
Snore^
Spite^
Telekinesis
Throat Chop
Zen Headbutt
19 Moves (5 Repeats)

Total Moves: 75= 19 + 6 + 36 + 14

TMs and Tutor Moves come primarily in emphasizing Pajantom's ability to go anywhere it can dream with Fly and Surf, Ghost Tutor staples like Gravity, Spite, and Telekinesis, as well as moves that emphasize its more physical characteristics like Drill Run, Throat Chop, and Smart Strike for its horns (check the learnset list, Pokemon with otherwise shallow movepools but prominent horns like Rapidash and Seaking learn all three). Bind and Block were added as tutor moves that also trap. Helping Hand because our baby CAP looks like it likes helping people, and it already has a sort of partner in it's projection dragon. Because the movepool doesn't have any phazing moves or direct status moves, Sleep Talk is a safe option to put here.

Conclusion:

Pajantom is a Pokemon that begins its life with its dreams having only hazy manifestations, but it becomes better at making them solid over time. It has a variety of "cold" themed moves and specifically it naturally learns Ghost and Dragon moves along with Poison status moves and a select few others that give hints of its trapping and blocking prowess. For TMs it learns Flying, Ground, Rock, and Steel coverage moves, has access to only one weather which reduces the power of Fire moves, and otherwise sticks primarily to broad conventions or move-move conventions.

Brave Bird - L0
Dragon Claw - L23/TM
Earthquake - TM
Fairy Lock / - L0
Heal Block -L30
Ice Punch - Tutor
Infestation - TM
Iron Tail - Egg/Tutor
Laser Focus - L10/Tutor
Leech Life - TM
Outrage - L53/Tutor
Phantom Force - L45
Protect - TM
Psychic Fangs - L32
Spirit Shackle - L0/L39
Stone Edge - TM
Substitute - TM
Toxic - TM
Toxic Spikes - L28
Aerial Ace
Astonish
Attract
Bind
Block
Brave Bird
Brutal Swing
Bulldoze
Confide
Double Team
Draco Meteor
Dragon Breath
Dragon Claw
Dragon Pulse
Dragon Rage
Dragon Rush
Dream Eater
Drill Run
Dual Chop
Earthquake
Façade
Fairy Lock
Fly
Frustration
Gastro Acid
Giga Impact
Gravity
Growl
Haze
Helping Hand
Heal Block
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Ice Fang
Ice Punch
Infestation
Iron Tail
Laser Focus
Leech Life
Mean Look
Outrage
Phantom Force
Poison Fang
Poison Gas
Protect
Psych Up
Psychic
Psychic Fangs
Rain Dance
Rest
Return
Rock Slide
Rock Tomb
Round
Sand Tomb
Shadow Ball
Shadow Claw
Sleep Talk
Smart Strike
Snore
Spirit Shackle
Spite
Stone Edge
Substitute
Surf
Swagger
Telekinesis
Throat Chop
Toxic
Toxic Spikes
Trick Room
Venoshock
Whirlpool
Wrap
Zen Headbutt
No Anchor Shot:
Anchor Shot provides a little too much role compression against targets I really don't think CAP should be chipping for a lot of damage. M-Pidgeot, M-Lopunny, and Chansey are all Pokemon I think it better to address by either correct prediction with Stone Edge / Psychic Fangs, or hit them with partial trapping or Mean Look and then Heal Block. I have Smart Strike in the movepool as a power vs accuracy Steel coverage option along with Iron Tail. Anchor Shot is not only a better medium between the two, it also supplants Spirit Shackle at the same time.

Flavor Choices:
Sand Tomb, Whirlpool, and Wrap are partial trapping moves that fit the concept.
Poison Fang and Ice Fang give Psychic Fangs some toothy company.

Broad Correlations:
Aerial Ace, Drill Run, Throat Chop, and Smart Strike correlate strongly with horned Pokemon
Brutal Swing correlates strongly with Dragon Egg Group
Trick Room correlates strongly with Ghost type

Move-Move Correlations:
Fly correlates strongly with Brave Bird
Psychic and Dream Eater correlate strongly with Heal Block
Surf correlates strongly with Whirlpool
Venoshock correlates strongly with Toxic Spikes

Last edited:

Deck Knight

I'd just like to make a general note as a poster about speed control moves and their inclusion / exclusion:

Substitute is a vastly more reliable way to get a drop on a check than speed control moves. None of our major checks or counters run Focus Sash, so the ability to hit slower ones twice at full power and faster ones with a Z-Move from behind a Sub is much more valuable. Substitute also provides a hard defense against opponents switching in with Pursuit.

Obviously include or exclude at your pleasure unless cbrevan or snake make a ruling otherwise, but CAP can't simultaneously trap foes and debuff them with a Spe dropping prediction, and in the case of our hardest counters, they just don't care about the speed drop. Our checks do somewhat, but Substitute is a more effective trump by also blocking moves like Leech Seed allowing us to attack through Sucker Punch or retreat through Pursuit with relative impunity. Our Sub also stands up to every single user of U-turn or Volt Switch without breaking, so it's an even better (and mandated) tech.

Final Submission

Note: Required moves are in boldface. Repeated moves are italicized.

- Spite
- Bite
- Astonish
7 - Astonish
9 - Protect
11 - Spite
14 - Slash
16 - Crunch
18 - Facade
20 - Mist
23 - Ice Fang
25 - Dragon Claw
27 - Block
29 - Haze
32 - Psycho Cut
34 - Dragon Pulse
36 - Substitute
38 - Nightmare
41 - Zen Headbutt
43 - Spirit Shackle
45 - Grudge
47 - Snore
50 - Psychic Fangs
52 - Mean Look
54 - Confuse Ray
56 - Phantom Force
59 - Outrage

The inspirations for this moveset include a combination of the circadian rhythm - a vacillating sleeping (passive)/waking (active) cycle - and the sleep cycle in psychology. In general, there are 4 or 5 periods of REM (dreaming) sleep over one night; 20-25% of total sleep is REM (dreams affect the ghostly form, hence only 1 in 4 moves is a physical STAB move.) There are five stages of sleep per cycle: Introduction of Sleep, Beginning of Sleep, two stages of Slow Wave Sleep or Deep Sleep, and Rapid Eye Movement or Dream Sleep. For simplicity, we're going with 1) Introduction, 2) Beginning, 3) Deep Sleep, and 4) REM Sleep. In keeping with the circadian rhythm, the first two states denote wakefulness (non-attacking moves) and the second represent sleep (attacking moves).
The standard figure for the average sleep cycle length is 90 minutes, while a 7-8 hour sleep probably includes 4 cycles with the middle two being longer. REM takes up more of each cycle later on, so let's use REM sleep as the denoter of STAB moves. Let's divide the sleeping period into about 4 moves an hour over 7 hours, with 28 moves total. The first hour thus gives us our starting moves; for the sake of movepool length, the first two cycles have three moves each - one status move and two attacking moves.

Cycle 1: Spite n' Bite - Spite, Bite, Astonish
- For the first cycle, Pajantom is just beginning to sleep, so the basic template for the level-up move pattern is provided here. Spite is a starting move of Spiritomb, another Ghost-type bound to a physical object.
- Bite is a basic attacking move and the simplest action that can result from being disturbed while trying to sleep at this point, when the nightmare form is just barely learning to manifest in the physical world. Astonish is the first STAB move, and the obvious outcome of its nightmare form appearing in the first place. It's the fifth move on the list because the first REM episode occurs about 70 minutes after falling asleep, so our first STAB attacking move would probably occur near the end of or shortly after the first hour.

Cycle 2: He Protec, But He Also Attac - Protect, Slash, Crunch
- Spite is repeated here to keep the level-up moveset from becoming too bloated, while Protect is learned early on to give Pajantom some defensive techniques, and is thematically fitting with the nightmare form learning to guard its creator. Slash and Crunch are both taken from Druddigon and are fittingly thematic precursors to both Dragon Claw and the biting moves that appear later.

Cycle 3: Frostbitten Facade - Facade, Mist, Ice Fang, Dragon Claw
- Facade is boosted if Pajantom suffers a status, plus its English name fits the fact that the big dragon is a projection of the little one. Mist is there to emphasize the smoke-like nature of the nightmare form and to hint at the Ice-type moves it can learn later.
- Dragon Claw is required, and also obvious. Ice Fang, meanwhile, is a follow-up to Bite and Crunch, and meshes well with Mist thematically (since we're not running any Fire-type moves).

Cycle 4: Content Blocked - Block, Haze, Psycho Cut, Dragon Pulse
- Block is our first trapping move, and makes sense with the nightmare form's large body and wide arm-span. Haze is a logical follow-up to Mist and reinforces the cold theme.
- Psycho Cut is there to hard-check Toxapex and Mega-Venusaur, and fits the fact that Pajantom's nightmare form is a mental projection of its creator with giant claws. Dragon Pulse, meanwhile, is an obvious choice of STAB move.

Cycle 5: I Have You Now! - Substitute, Nightmare, Zen Headbutt, Spirit Shackle
- Substitute should be obvious, either suggesting that the nightmare form uses its creator as a decoy or it sleeps with a plush toy or teddy bear. Teddy dragon, if you will. Nightmare is self-explanatory.
- Spirit Shackle is the only trapping move that's also a STAB move, and its power means it's learned fairly late in the movepool. Zen Headbutt is another Psychic-type move that emphasizes the mystical dream-like nature of this design, plus it gives a nice flinch chance and has a typing that helps take down Toxapex, Tomohawk, and Mega Venusaur.

Cycle 6: The Grudge 4, Psychic Boogaloo - Grudge, Snore, Psychic Fangs
- This cycle has 3 moves instead of 4 to keep the movepool length at a safe upper limit (see below). Grudge is there to shut down anything that KOs Pajantom and give teammates an easier time revenge-killing them.
- Snore is there for thematic reasons and also for the flinch chance; it's learned relatively late because the same applies to another hard-hitter, Ursaring (learns Snore at level 49). Psychic Fangs is a logical follow-up to Bite, Crunch, and Ice Fang, emphasizing the mystical theme of the level-up movepool thus far.

Cycle 7: The Phantom Force Awakens - Mean Look, Confuse Ray, Phantom Force, Outrage
- Mean Look is learned by Cofagrigus, and relatively late at that, and fits both the trapping theme and Pajantom's menacing appearance. Confuse Ray is because of how weird dreams can get at times, plus Gengar gets it.
- Phantom Force and Outrage are the most powerful STAB moves Pajantom can learn, so of course these go last.

From what we know about sleep cycles, the first REM sleep period occurs 70 minutes after sleep begins, and cycles of about 90 minutes each follow. Thus, Astonish is re-learned at Level 7, and every cycle afterward takes up 9 levels. Since there are two stages of deep sleep, this would result in a 2-2-3-2 pattern of moves learned via level. All in all, the last move is learned at Level 59, which isn't too bad as Dragon-types go - for example, Druddigon learns its last move by level, also Outrage, at Level 62.

• TM02 - Dragon Claw
  • TM03 - Psyshock
  • TM06 - Toxic
  • TM09 - Venoshock
  • TM10 - Hidden Power
  • TM13 - Ice Beam
  • TM14 - Blizzard
  • TM15 - Hyper Beam
  • TM17 - Protect
  • TM20 - Safeguard
  • TM21 - Frustration
  • TM23 - Smack Down
  • TM26 - Earthquake
  • TM27 - Return
  • TM28 - Leech Life
  • TM30 - Shadow Ball
  • TM40 - Aerial Ace
  • TM42 - Facade
  • TM44 - Rest
  • TM45 - Attract
  • TM46 - Thief
  • TM48 - Round
  • TM58 - Sky Drop
  • TM59 - Brutal Swing
  • TM60 - Quash
  • TM62 - Acrobatics
  • TM63 - Embargo
  • TM65 - Shadow Claw
  • TM66 - Payback
  • TM67 - Smart Strike
  • TM68 - Giga Impact
  • TM70 - Aurora Veil
  • TM71 - Stone Edge
  • TM76 - Fly
  • TM79 - Frost Breath
  • TM83 - Infestation
  • TM87 - Swagger
  • TM88 - Sleep Talk
  • TM90 - Substitute
  • TM97 - Dark Pulse
  • TM100 - Confide
The rest of the required moves that can be learned via TM are listed here - Flying moves are included, notably, due to the common "dreams of flying" in media. Notably, there's an absence of Electric attacks despite the special ones not being banned; since physical ones ARE, and Pajantom's special attack is pretty awful, I figured it that any special attacks learned are just not worth using.

Another note: Leech Life not only provides coverage against Dark-types and possible recovery, but also refers to the moroi of Romanian folklore, ghostly beings that drain energy from the living whose name comes from the word Old Slavonic word, 'mora' ("nightmare").

Note: Required moves are in boldface.
  • Brave Bird (Smeargle, Farfetch'd, Blaziken)
  • Dragon Rush (Dragonite, Garchomp, Hydreigon)
  • Fairy Lock (Smeargle)
  • Heal Block (Smeargle)
  • Ice Punch (Sneasel, Delibird, Buneary, Scraggy, Cubchoo, Stufful)
  • Toxic Spikes (Nidorino, Skrelp)
The rest of the required moves go here, as they aren't thematically appropriate and wouldn't fit anywhere else. The Field egg group being present here also allows Smeargle to pass Fairy Lock, Heal Block, and Brave Bird to Pajantom as an egg move thanks to Sketch.

• Draco Meteor
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Laser Focus
  • Ice Punch
  • Iron Tail
  • Outrage
  • Spite
  • Zen Headbutt

Just repeating some of the moves that have been featured previously, which also appear on the USUM tutor list. The only new moves on this list are Laser Focus, a required move, Iron Tail, a very common tutor move in general, and Draco Meteor, a must-have for Dragon-types.

NOTE: Required moves are in boldface.
  • Acrobatics
  • Aerial Ace
  • Astonish
  • Attract
  • Aurora Veil
  • Bite
  • Blizzard
  • Block
  • Brave Bird
  • Brutal Swing
  • Confide
  • Confuse Ray
  • Crunch
  • Dark Pulse
  • Draco Meteor
  • Dragon Claw
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Dragon Rush
  • Earthquake
  • Embargo
  • Facade
  • Fairy Lock
  • Fly
  • Frost Breath
  • Frustration
  • Giga Impact
  • Grudge
  • Haze
  • Heal Block
  • Hidden Power
  • Hyper Beam
  • Hypnosis
  • Ice Beam
  • Ice Fang
  • Ice Punch
  • Infestation
  • Iron Tail
  • Laser Focus
  • Leech Life
  • Mean Look
  • Mist
  • Nightmare
  • Outrage
  • Payback
  • Phantom Force
  • Protect
  • Psychic Fangs
  • Psycho Cut
  • Psyshock
  • Quash
  • Rest
  • Return
  • Round
  • Safeguard
  • Shadow Ball
  • Shadow Claw
  • Sky Drop
  • Slash
  • Sleep Talk
  • Smack Down
  • Smart Strike
  • Snore
  • Spirit Shackle
  • Spite
  • Stone Edge
  • Substitute
  • Swagger
  • Thief
  • Toxic
  • Toxic Spikes
  • Venoshock
  • Zen Headbutt

11/5 EDIT: Per snake_rattler's recent post, I've replaced Hypnosis with Block, and scrapped Yawn, Taunt, Torment, and Thunder Wave altogether. Destiny Bond has also been exchanged for Mean Look per snake's even more recent post.
11/10 EDIT: Finalized movepool submission! Iron Tail has been put in the egg move list, while Zen Headbutt takes its place on the level-up movepool. And since we have enough signature moves to go around and Smart Strike and Iron Tail already provide enough Steel coverage as well as a choice between accuracy and power, Anchor Shot (a compromise between both, a signature move, AND a move that could present problems for some of our counters) has been removed altogether.
11/13 EDIT: Per the advice of Dogfish44, I've cut down the number of level-up moves to 27 (the same as Silvally) and expanded upon the Move Tutor list. Heal Block and Fairy Lock have now been transferred to the Egg Move list as a result, and Iron Tail and Laser Focus are now re-classed as Tutor Moves.

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
WIP

1-Snore
1-Leer
1-Nightmare
1-Dream Eater
1-Laser Focus
5-Astonish
10-Psywave
14-Dragon Rage
19-Mist
23-Mean Look
28-Heal Block
32-Spirit Shackle
37-Substitute
41-Psychic Fangs
46-Phantom Force
50-Outrage
55-Giga Impact

Snore acts as Pajantom's early game weak Normal move, since Pajantom has Comatose, allowing it to spam it as a weak melee move. Nightmare and Dream Eater are self explainable obvious flavor moves, while Laser Focus is a bonus relearnable move.
I went with a simple 4-5-4 pattern for this level-up scheme, and the main theme I can say is in here is lots of Ghost, Dragon and Psychic moves, since Pajantom's dream element can also be attributed to the Psychic type, and as such a lot of whimsy psychic moves fit well into it. Psywave acts as are first true dive into the Psychic type, and also acts as an early move for Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Nihilego. Like others, I decided to add Mist to represent Pajantom's cold, ghostly, yet wispy nature. Mean Look is our first dive into trapping and fits well on an intimidating projection. Spirit Shackle is learnt at around the same level that Decidueye learns it, and while the flagship move for this mon, it isn't its strongest Ghost move, keeping it from being learned too late.
Substitute represents Pajantom's guardian nature, or maybe it using its sleeping body as a decoy, or even just a plushie for it to sleep with. Psychic Fangs is the "ultimate" Psychic move it learns, incorporating its dreamy psychic powers into a brute biting hit. Phantom Force and Outrage are strong STAB and as such left as some of the last moves here, while Giga Impact is commonly learnt by Pokemon that in battle are big and imposing, with giant Attack stats, even if the move itself is pretty useless.

-Brave Bird (Blaziken, Farfetch'd)
-Anchor Shot (Smeargle)
-Iron Tail (Arbok, Dragonite, Milotic)
-Ice Punch (Scrafty)
-Fairy Lock (Smeargle)
-Toxic Spikes (Dragalge)
-Crush Claw (Druddigon)

Egg Moves mainly encompass moves too weird for the main movepool that aren't also TMs. I wanted to make Pajantom pure Dragon, but Brave Bird, Anchor Shot and Fairy Lock meant also making it Field, although outside of those three moves most egg moves are learnt by Dragon parents.
Outside of the required moves, Crush Claw involves clawed hands like Pajantom's, but fits with the dreamy dragon more than any other slashing move by being a strong, chunky attack, in contrast to the finesse expected from other slashing moves.

TM02 Dragon Claw
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM52 Focus Blast
TM54 False Swipe
TM59 Brutal Swing
TM62 Acrobatics
TM63 Embargo
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM71 Stone Edge
TM76 Fly
TM77 Psych Up
TM83 Infestation
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM92 Trick Room
TM96 Nature Power
TM97 Dark Pulse
TM100 Confide

Out of the rest of the required moves that aren't universal TMs, Stone Edge and Earthquake are the usual moves given to high powered physical Pokemon, while Infestation is given to a good chunk of Ghost types, while Leech Life has an oddball distribution anyways. To keep with the chilly theme, Pajantom doesn't get Sunny Day, while also getting Ice Beam and Blizzard. Aerial Ace, Fly and Acrobatics are there to make it getting Brave Bird just a bit more believable, while Trick Room is a common move to be learnt by Ghost types.

-Draco Meteor

Wait for the V-Create tutor

Acrobatics
Aerial Ace
Anchor Shot
Astonish
Attract
Blizzard
Brave Bird
Brutal Swing
Confide
Crush Claw
Dark Pulse
Double Team
Draco Meteor
Dragon Claw
Dragon Rage
Dream Eater
Earthquake
Embargo
Facade
Fairy Lock

False Swipe
Fly
Focus Blast
Frustration
Giga Impact
Heal Block
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam

Ice Beam
Ice Punch
Infestation
Iron Tail
Laser Focus
Leech Life

Leer
Mean Look
Mist
Nature Power
Nightmare
Outrage
Payback
Phantom Force
Protect

Psych Up
Psychic
Psychic Fangs
Psywave
Rain Dance
Rest
Return
Round

Safeguard
Shadow Ball
Shadow Claw
Sleep Talk
Snore
Spirit Shackle
Stone Edge
Substitute
Swagger
Toxic
Toxic Spikes

Trick Room

Required moves are bolded.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the 'All Permanent Stat-Ups and Debuffs (Swords Dance / Screech, etc.)' in the banned list doesn't include Confide since Confide is a near-universal TM, right?

Deck Knight

I'm assuming the 'All Permanent Stat-Ups and Debuffs (Swords Dance / Screech, etc.)' in the banned list doesn't include Confide since Confide is a near-universal TM, right?
Generally speaking this refers to viable stat-ups/stat-downs. Stat-Ups are more viable than stat-downs, and so far as I know for our purposes this includes All Stat-UPS and only +2 or better stat-downs. Confide doesn't really qualify as a +2 stat-down because its only effectiveness on any given attack is -1.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Hi guys, I've been looking at some of the movepools, and so far they're looking great. However, I've noticed some moves that'd be rather problematic, and I've thought of a couple more moves to get rid of. I'm sorry for not having these banned from the get-go, but we absolutely cannot have these moves in Pajantom's movepool:

Disable, Taunt, Encore, Torment (screws with counters)
Hypnosis, Yawn, other sleep inducing moves (screws with counters)
Shadow Sneak (screws way too easily with checks)
Night Shade, Seismic Toss (note that Psywave is ok)
Thunder Wave (screws too easily with checks)
Dragon Hammer (discussed in thread that it was unneeded / not taking too many sig moves)

If your movepool contains these moves, please remove them.

Additionally, please do note that most egg movepools are actually rather small for Gen 7 mons, usually consisting of about 3-5 moves. You don't have to constrain yourself to limits like these, but I thought I'd point it out.

------

As a user (not as CAP23 TL), I just want to say that "it can dream, so it can do this!" is good reasoning up to a point. After awhile though, it just gets clunky and cliché. My suggestion to movepool submitters would be to think about how many "random" moves you're adding onto Pajantom. Remember, the 75 moves ceiling is a limit, not a target.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Perish Song and Destiny Bond are other moves that would be problematic to have on CAP23. Please remove if applicable.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Due to concerns about a) the optics of allowing two signature moves and b) the dynamic of having a strong, trapping coverage move in combination with a STAB trapping move, Anchor Shot will be allowed but not required. This means you do not have to include Anchor Shot if you do not wish. Spirit Shackle will still be required. Please adjust if you wish.

Final Submission

Opening Notes

My main design was based off of Drampa and Turtonator, the only single evolution Dragon-types in generation VII. I also took inspiration from Decidueye and Komala for obvious reasons. Just putting this here so you can keep in mind while reading.
1 Snore
1 Astonish
1 Mean Look
5 Snore
9 Dragon Rage
13 Shadow Punch
17 Aerial Ace
21 Dream Eater
25 Dragon Breath
29 Fairy Lock
33 Spirit Shackle
37 Dragon Claw
41 Psychic Fangs
45 Brave Bird
49 Phantom Force
53 Outrage
14 Unique Moves

This level-up moveset is specifically designed to make it the third in a trinity with Drampa and Turtonator, following their exact level up pattern of a move every four levels. I also took inspiration from other Dragon-types like Druddigon who have pretty shallow level-up movepools. I have a few move progressions mainly, namely Shadow Punch->Spirit Shackle->Phantom Force, Dream Eater-> Psychic Fangs, Aeriel Ace-> Brave Bird, and Dragon Claw-> Outrage. The Psychic and Flying move progressions are particularly important as Psychic Fangs and Brave Bird aren't very easy moves to justify design wise without a logical progression. All in all this is pretty straight forward so I'll move on.
TM02 Dragon Claw
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Façade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM62 Acrobatics
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM71 Stone Edge
TM76 Fly
TM77 Psych Up
TM78 Bulldoze
TM80 Rock Slide
TM83 Infestation
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM92 Trick Room
TM97 Dark Pulse
TM100 Confide
37 Unique Moves

All of these moves are either too hard to justify not having design wise like Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball, and Psych Up or are necessary to justify required moves like Rock Slide, Acrobatics, and Ice Beam. That's really all there is to it so next section.
Draco Meteor
Dual Chop
Ice Punch
Foul Play
Zen Headbutt
Dragon Pulse
Hyper Voice
Snore
Spite
Magic Room
Wonder Room
Outrage
Snatch
Telekinesis
Iron Tail
Laser Focus
14 Unique Moves

Since my main influences lacked any specific design in the distribution of tutor moves, I just went with what was permissible design wise and what was required.
Heal Block (Cofagrious, Reuniclus)
Iron Tail (Altaria, Arbok, Charizard, Dragalge, Dragonite, Druddigon, Eelektross)
Toxic Spikes (Cofagrious, Dragalge, Weezing)
Play Rough (Dragalge, Drampa, Mimikyu)
3 Unique Moves

So, my favorite part of this movepool, is that my egg groups actually make sense. Now this isn't an insult to the many of my competition, but I feel that having the field egg group (or to a lesser degree the monster egg group) isn't justified design-wise as much as Amorphous + Dragon. However it does come with some drawbacks, namely the lack of access to Anchor Shot, which in my opinion is impossible to justify design wise.

14+37+3+14=58 Unique Moves

Last edited:

Deck Knight

CAP Staff Note:

Now that Tutor learnsets have been datamined, and with USUM impending launch a week from tomorrow, Please Include USUM Tutors in your submissions.

Full Tutor List: https://pastebin.com/Uxme1NkC
Tutor moves are identical to Gen 6 Tutors, Plus Ally Switch(banned), Telekinesis (provisionally allowed), Defog (banned), Lazer Focus (mandatory), Liquidation (banned), Stomping Tantrum (provisionally allowed), and Throat Chop (provisionally allowed, cbrevan, snake_rattler )

Last edited:

snake

CAP Co-Leader
cbrevan and I talked about Stomping Tantrum and Throat Chop. Throat Chop is basically outclassed by Spirit Shackle and most any other coverage move you could ever want on it. We really aren't bothered all that much by sound-based moves (Mega Gardevoir gets outsped anyway), so Throat Chop is allowed (not required by any means).

However, Stomping Tantrum has the potential to outdamage Spirit Shackle against Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. If they swap in on a Toxic, that means Stomping Tantrum's base power gets doubled. While this move won't break them wide open, it adds a layer of unneeded complexity to swapping in a counter to a mon with very few hard counters. It's more that it's unnecessary and unrelated to the concept than it being a broken move. Also if Magearna switches in on an Outrage? 2x Stomping Tantrum, which definitely kills it, unlike Earthquake. Therefore, Stomping Tantrum will be disallowed.

Deck Knight Would you mind editing the OP with the corrected banlist (including my previous posts on banning moves?)

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Now that USUM tutors are out, it's probably worth asking again as to the status of Icy Wind (in addition to Rock Tomb, Bulldoze, and Snarl) as banned moves - is it just the stronger stat droppers banned, the non-speed ones, or are they all banned outright? Also, gonna ask properly if Rest is still required due to t'presence of Comatose.

Finally, I think Knock Off wants t'be in the banned move listing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)