CAP 23 CAP 23 - Part 9 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

Cocoma

In Spanish folklore, there is a mythical ghost monster that resides in Portugal and Galicia called the Coco.
In Portugal, the Coco was a dragon who fought Saint George in a yearly ritual of crop success.
The legends were carried by Spanish Conquistadors over to The South Americas, where the indigenous tribes began to fear the stories of a slumbering, ghostly boogeyman who could change his shape at will. The Coco most commonly takes the form of both a dragon and a sleeping spirit, among other things.
Combine the name of this slumbering, ghostly, amorphous, and draconic spirit, Coco, with CAP23's comatic state, and you get Coco + Coma = Cocoma.
:>

WIP 2

Napnir

In the ancient Scandinavian legend Sigurd the Volsung, Sigurd awakens and battles a dragon named Fafnir, a fearsome, shape-shifting Dragon who can take the form of a nervous dwarf.
Nap + Fafnir = Napnir

Feedback very welcome practically begged for. (3

Last edited:
WIP

Drastralis

"Dragon" + "Astralis"

Pronounced: "dra-STRA-liss"
IPA: dræ'strælɪs

The first part of the name is simply derived from dragon as a reference to the Pokemon's Dragon typing. The latter component references the Pokemon's design and ability with the concept of astral projection, a form of out-of-body experience. Astral is derived from the Latin word astralis.
I think that "Drastral" would maybe just sound better, as the "-is" at the end makes it feel a little on the long and clunky side. Especially since "-is" tends to be used for conditions rather than objects. Just my thoughts.
----------------------​
WIP
Drabyss
"Dragon" + "Drab" + "Abyss"
Pronounced:"Drab - iss"
IPA: Didn't do yet.

The main part of this is constructed from Dragon, Drakon, or anything similar. It's a pretty basic root, and I had quite a few other concepts I came up with, but the complex and "hard" names don't fit as well with our art. The second part is based on "Drab" and "Abyss", words used to describe night, darkness, and shadows. Fits with the sleepy ghost theme.

WIP 2
Reveryu
"Reverie" + "Ryu"
Pronunciation: "rev - er - EE - oo"
IPA: Didn't do yet.

First part is based on reverie, which is a dream-like state of musing. I figure it fits our theme nicely. The "Ryu" is essentially a Japanese word meaning "dragon". I think this name manages to combine the aspects of CAP23 nicely while giving a nice cute sort of feel.

I'm looking for feedback on both WIP 1 and WIP 2, and thoughts on which one is better.

Last edited:
WIP

Plushoul

Pronunciation: Plush - OOL
IPA: plʌʃ 'uːl

"Plushie" + "Ghoul"; The name tries to incorporate the contrast between the stuffed animal-like appearance of the small body and the demon-like dream entity. In arabian folklore ghouls are shapeshifting demons who lure people into the desert or abandoned places to kill them, which kinda relates to the trapping concept too. And you might've gotten a plushie as a child to have sweet dreams (but who knows what its real personality was, maybe your Alp was always lying next to you... kinda fitting that this CAP seems to finish around Halloween ^^)

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Moderator Announcement:

This thread is now open for Final Submissions.

Please read the OP formatting rules very carefully. Any final submission that does not EXACTLY follow the prescribed format, will be disqualified without warning.

The Name slate will be constructed collectively by the CAP moderators. As stated in the OP, we will not slate names that are completely unrelated to the design, silly names (puns are fine), names based primarily on memes, or names meant to inflame, intimidate, or cause controversy.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
DQ - Final Submission

Comare

A combination of “comatose” or “coma” and “snare”

Pronunciation: comb-AIR
IPA: koʊmɛər

The fact that this aims make use of partial trapping moves, “snare” is appropriate as it suggests trapping anything within its range and that it must be activated (i.e. using the moves) while hurting the prey. The coma part of its name is there to indicate its permanent state of sleeping both in its artwork and as indicated by its ability, Comatose.

Last edited by a moderator:

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Final Submission

Pajantom

A combination of "Pajamas" + "Phantom".

Pronounced: "puh-JAN-tum"
IPA: pə'd͡ʒæntəm

This name reflects two of the main themes in CAP 23's design: the sleepy pajama-clad monster, and its spooky ghost-like projection. Its meaning is intuitive, and it is easy to pronounce.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Drajinn

"Dragon" + "Djinn"

Pronounced: "DRA-gin"
IPA: dræʤɪn

Judging by the feedback I got, I'll be submitting this one! Here's the explanation I gave the name:
The big dragon is ghostly, has a wispy tail, and comes out of a smaller container. You might call it a genie. I thought that "dragon" and "djinn" fit really well together. :)
That means "Phantasmall" is up for grabs!

Comments:

Blackdrakon30, I'm glad you've mentioned Reveryu! It's one of the names that Reiga and I had discussed. I nearly put it as one of my WIP names myself! It's a great name, with my only concern being that it sounds vaguely similar to fellow CAPmon Revenankh, despite the differing etymologies.
KnightsofCydonia, as mentioned on Discord, I like Snoozilla a lot. It's a goofy yet threatening name that has a really good flow to it. :)

Final Submission

Snoozilla

A combination of "snooze" and "Godzilla".

Pronounced: "SNOO-ZIL-uh"
IPA: snuːzɪlə

Last edited:
Final Submission

Dracoma

"Dragon" or "Draco" (as in Draco Meteor) + "Coma/Comatose"

Pronounced: "DRAY-koh-muh"

Combines the Dragon-typing with the obvious connection to it's sleepy state in battle. It's simple and sounds nice in my opinion.

DQ - Final Submission

Brusha

"Bruadar" + "Hogo-Sha"
Pronounced: "Brew-SHA"

I used the Scottish Gaelic word for "Dream" (Bruadar) and combined it with the Japanese word for "Guardian" (Hogo-Sha). The artwork has the small dragon using that spirit dragon to protect it while it sleeps so I feel that "Dream Guardian" would best describe this CAP.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Final Submission

Kidnapern

Corruption of Kidnapping to match my accent, a trapping-indicative word including "Kid", "Nap", and the "Ern" from "Wyvern".

Pronounced: "Kid-Nap-Urn"

---

Picked this one when it felt that -id was getting lost.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
DQ - Final Submission
Phantazee

"Phantasm" / "Phantom" + "Fantasy" + the letter "Z" (as in ZZZ).

Pronounced: Fan-tuh-ZEE
IPA: ˈfæntəzi

A simple name that doesn't change much from a real world pronunciation-wise, but we DO already have Fidgit and Stratagem :P

Final Submission

Cocoma

Coco + Coma

Pronounced: CO-co-ma
IPA: Koʊ-koʊ-mʌ

In Portuguese and South American folklore, the Coco is a mythical spirit monster that fought Saint George in medieval times as a dragon, and now haunts bad South American children while they sleep, akin to the boogeyman.

---

I just couldn't pass up this mythological combination of dragons, spirits, and sleep. The Coco's a cool no dude, wherever and whenever he's at.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Nightyfryte

A combination of "Nightie" slang for pajamas and "Fright" meaning afraid, and a play on “nighty night”.

Pronounced: Nahy-tee-Frahyt
IPA: ˈnaɪtifraɪt

Final Submission

Astrake

Astral + Drake

Pronounced: As-trach (like trachea)

I think it has a sort of mystical and child-like wonder, which I think is a bit of a theme with this Pokemon. It's a kid dragon dreaming about itself being big and strong, trapping and defeating the "bad guys." (Probably has a child-like view of the world, so yeah. Bad guys are the foe but w/e) Heck, a supporting artwork had the dream dragon blowing its missiles of death like a rough and tough cowboy after a duel. I just like the idea of keeping it simple while still having it be interesting. The name is simple, elegant, and whimsical. The name is somewhat cute but not to where it seems like a joke, but not intimidating enough to where the kid disappears.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really couldn't think of anything else. :P

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Final Submission

Lurrasque

"Lucid" (Concious dreaming state) + "Tar(r)asque" (French mythological dragon/iconic D&D giant reptile titan that resembles this CAP)

Pronounced: lure - ASK

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DQ - Final Submission

Polterguise

"Poltergeist" + "Guise"

Poltergeists trap victims in haunted places. A (dis)guise is a false presentation. Our Pokemon disguises itself cutely to trap opponents :)

Pronounced: Pohl - ter - GUYS
IPA: ˈpoʊl tərˌgaɪz

Last edited:
Final Submission

Phantasmare

"Phantasm" + "Nightmare"

Pronounced: Fan - taz - mare

A phantasm is a figment of the imagination, combined with nightmare b/c the apparition is nightmare-y. Idk. Enjoy

DQ - Final Submission

Reveryu

"Reverie" + "Ryu"

Prounounced: "REV - uh - ree - oo"
IPA: ˈrɛvərɪuː

Reverie is a sleepy dream-like state. Ryu is a Japanese term for "dragon." Our CAP is a sleepy dragon.

DQ - Final Submission

Phobulism

"Phobetor" + "Somnambulism"

Phobetor is the Greek god of nightmares that could create monstrous creatures to protect the dream world. Somnambulism is the scientific name for sleepwalking.

Pronounced: Fo - biu - LI - sm

DQ- Final Submission

Fugeist

"Fugue" + "Geist"

A fugue state is a loss of awareness or identity often associated with escape from one's circumstances. Geist is German for "ghost"

DQ - Final Submission

Hauntuque

"Haunt"+ "Tuque"

Haunt is a verb that implies spiritual pestering or possession of an item or location, or alternatively the spirit possessing said place. Tuque is another name for a knit cap or nightcap, which smolgon's horn resembles/is.

Pronounced: Ha - un - TOOK
IPA: hɔːntuːk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)