CAP Player of the Week #3: Tadasuke

SHSP

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributor
(Inspired by threads in OU and other forums, co-hosted by SHSP and Airwind, Banner by Centinela)

Hello and welcome to the CAP player of the week! In this project, Airwind and I will interview some of our metagame’s best innovators, builders, and players! This week's interviewee is Tadasuke, CAP room mod and top player! If you have anyone who you would like to be interviewed, please PM either Airwind or me!

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I'm a 20 year old music student from Chicago. I'm halfway through a music performance degree but I'm on a gap year just practicing for now.

What are you most known for on Smogon?

I'm pretty sure no one on Smogon in general knows me really, but in terms of the CAP room I'm known for being the one who did the most banning and moderating before we had bots.

What is your favorite Pokemon, and why?

Umbreon. It has no real competitive use right now, but when I was a kid I beat all of Gold Version with an underleveled Umbreon flinching everything with Headbutt.

What is your favorite CAP?

Tomohawk, without a doubt. The advent of fairies and then the Tapus brought its power down a little bit, but it's still the most versatile mon in the meta.

What was your favorite CAP process?

Probably Plasmanta. The drama surrounding it just cracked me up.

What is your most used Pokemon?

It used to be Colossoil, but right now I'm really loving Magearna. There's so much variety as to what it can run that I never get bored with it.

What brought you to Smogon and competitive Pokemon in general?

I used to be really into Yugioh and Dueling Network, and that got me into competitive children's games. After the Elemental Dragons format in Yugioh finished I figured I'd never have that much fun with that game again and wanted to try something new, so I wound up on PO for a while, then migrated here.

How were you introduced to the CAP project?

I saw the room for the CAP project one day when I was just messing around on PS, introduced myself to the room, then really started getting into the community. I'm much less interested in the project than I am in playing with the CAPmons though.

What is the best part of the creation of a CAPmon in your opinion?

I'm gonna get hate for this but I love the art phase the most. I'm always surprised at how talented the community is at things other than mons.

What is your favorite CAP OM? (like cap lc, monotype, doubles)

None of them, I haven't played any and don't plan on it.

What made you choose your name?

I took Japanese class in high school and we had to pick names off of a list, this was the one I chose. It seems to not be a very popular name because I've been able to sign up for a whole bunch of stuff with it.

What is your favorite Generation of Pokemon and why?

Gen 2. That was the one I put the most time into and really got to know.

Thoughts on the SM CAP metagame so far?

I like it a lot. There's much more variety to it than any of the other generations I've played. I'm glad a whole bunch of playstyles got buffed such as rain and TR with the new games.

What are your thoughts at the beginning of a CAP project?

I always have high expectations and I always get disappointed with the product, I don't expect anything different from this one.

What is your favorite playstyle?

Bulky Offense. It's nice to have mons that can switch into most moves in the meta while also having a decent offensive presence.

What is your favorite CAP Old Gen?

XY CAP. Lando-I was the funniest thing to have in that meta.

Is there any advice you would give to newer players in terms of playing and building, competing in tournaments, etc?

Play as much as you can, and watch good people play as much as you can. Try to get into the mind of a good player and see what you learn. A lot of the poketubers right now are fantastic for that.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon Community?

The staff in the CAP room have always been my favorite people.

Finally can you provide for us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle with a brief explanation of how it works?

Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Power Gem
- U-turn

Necturna @ Focus Sash
Ability: Forewarn
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Will-O-Wisp
- Horn Leech
- Shadow Sneak

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Stealth Rock

Tomohawk @ Sky Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Aura Sphere
- Healing Wish
- Rapid Spin

This is an offensive team I made one night when I was really high. I forget the reasoning behind most of the sets, but when I used it the next day it was fantastic. Necturna does its regular thing, setting up webs, spinblocking, and being otherwise annoying. Lele, Volk, and Koko provide ridiculous pressure, Dug is a great way to clear the path for the sweepers, and Tomo is a great utility as always.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)