CAP Updates: Cawmodore Discussion (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Final Submission

- Leer
- Peck
Evolve: Belly Drum
5 Growl
9 Swift
13 Metal Claw
18 Screech
22 Wing Attack
26 Detect
31 Steel Wing
35 Belly Drum
39 Bullet Punch
44 Brine
48 Tailwind
52 Belch
58 Flash Cannon
64 Hurricane
Belch is learned at Level 52 because by then Cawmodore is a hearty sailor with sea legs. Cawdet shouldn't learn the move imo if that's relevant.

EDIT: I found a way to make Belly Drum the evolve move and remove it from the level-up pool while still allowing Cawdet to have the move. See egg moves for details. If removing Belly Drum from the level up movepool, making it the evolve move, and placing a repeat in egg moves is not allowed, I can change it back.

Evolve moves are a really awesome way to highlight the focal points of a Pokemon's design. Since Cawmodore is the embodiment of Belly Drum, I felt like making it is evolve move was appropriate. Cawdet can still learn it through egg moves, so it doesn't mess up Cawdet's access to it.

TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Smack Down
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Façade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM51 Steel Wing
TM58 Sky Drop
TM62 Acrobatics
TM68 Giga Impact
TM76 Fly
TM77 Psych Up
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94 Surf
TM100 Confide
There were a bunch of TM changes between Gen 5 and Gen 7 that affected Cawmodore. Old TMs can be found below. Confide is universal.

Block
Drain Punch
Endeavor
Iron Head
Knock Off
Shock Wave
Sky Attack
Sleep Talk
Snatch
Snore
Tailwind
Water Pulse
Shock Wave and Water Pulse are competitively useless, unless you think HP Water and HP Electric Cawmodore are useful.

Air Slash
Belly Drum (Cawmodore)
Drill Peck
Metal Sound
Mirror Move
Pursuit
Quick Attack
Quick Guard
Razor Wind
Water Sport
At first, I thought that no Pokemon from the Flying egg group got Belly Drum. However...I forgot that Cawmodore gets it, and Cawdet can certainly breed from Cawmodore! This isn't unprecedented either: Octillery learns Octozooka on evolve and Remoraid has Octozooka as an egg move.

Pluck (Gen 5 TM88)
Retaliate (Gen 5 / Gen 6 TM67)
Rock Smash (Gen 5 / XY TM94, ORAS HM06)
Secret Power (ORAS TM94)
Strength (Gen 5 / Gen 6 HM04)
Secret Power is universal.

Belch added to Level Up (Level 52)
Belly Drum moved from Level 35 to Evolve Move and Egg Moves
Confide added to TM List
Fly moved from HM List to TM List
Retaliate moved from TM List to Transfer Only
Rock Smash moved from TM List to Transfer Only
Secret Power added to Transfer Moves
Shock Wave added to Tutor Moves
Sleep Talk added to TM List
Steel Wing duplicated from Level Up to TM List
Strength moved from HM List to Transfer Only
Surf moved from HM list to TM List
Water Pulse added to Tutor Moves

Last edited:
Final Submission

- Leer
- Peck
5 Growl
9 Swift
13 Metal Claw
18 Screech
22 Wing Attack
26 Detect
31 Steel Wing
35 Belly Drum
39 Belch
44 Bullet Punch
48 Speed Swap
52 Brine
57 Tailwind
61 Flash Cannon
67 Hurricane
Cawmodore has eaten many a Sitrus Berry over the years, so I added Belch right after Belly Drum. I also added Speed Swap. The flavor justification there is that Speed Swap users tend to be speedy (check) and have one or more moves that deal with Speed in some way (check). Cawmodore gets Tailwind, so that's good enough for me. Cawmodore's original movepool has a 4-4-5 pattern with a 6 level jump between Flash Cannon and Hurricane at the end, so I shifted the later moves accordingly to preserve this pattern.
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Smack Down
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Façade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM51 Steel Wing
TM58 Sky Drop
TM62 Acrobatics
TM68 Giga Impact
TM76 Fly
TM77 Psych Up
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94 Surf
TM100 Confide
Cawmodore already learns most of these additions through some other method, so the only new move here is Confide, a universal TM.
Block
Drain Punch
Endeavor
Iron Head
Knock Off
Shock Wave
Sky Attack
Sleep Talk
Snatch
Snore
Tailwind
The only addition here is Shock Wave. It's odd at first glance, but it's learned by fellow stormy bird Pelipper so I think it fits. I was tempted to add Water Pulse, but there isn't a strong move-move correlation among the non-Water-type Surf users, so I opted not to include it.
Air Slash
Drill Peck
Metal Sound
Mirror Move
Pursuit
Quick Attack
Quick Guard
Razor Wind
Water Sport
No changes.
Pluck (Gen 5 TM88)
Retaliate (Gen 5 / Gen 6 TM67)
Rock Smash (Gen 5 / XY TM94, ORAS HM06)
Secret Power (ORAS TM94)
Strength (Gen 5 / Gen 6 HM04)
Only addition is Secret Power, the universal ORAS TM.

- Belch and Speed Swap added to Level Up Moves
- Confide added to TM Moves
- Shock Wave added to Tutor Moves
- Secret Power added to Transfer Only Moves
- Steel Wing, Fly, Sleep Talk, and Surf are now TM Moves
- Pluck, Retaliate, Rock Smash, and Strength are now transfer only

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is your 24 hour warning to submit your movepool if you haven't already done so.

EDIT: It's been 24 hours, and since only snake_rattler and sparktrain posted legal final submissions, our slate will consist of those two.

Last edited:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As a result of this poll, snake_rattler's movepool has been selected as Cawmodore's new updated movepool. This also marks the end of our move discussions for Cawmodore, and with it the end of this update as a whole. Overall I'm very pleased with how smooth this update went, and I'd like to thank everyone involved. To summarize what happened, Cawmodore received no competitive changes and has retained all three of it's original abilities. For consistency's sake Cawmodore picked up new moves in Belch, Confide, Secret Power, Shock Wave, Sleep Talk, and Water Pulse, along with other changes to it's movepool that can be seen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)