CAP Updates: GL and UL Nominations Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
At the conclusion of the most recent policy review thread it was determined we would update old CAP Pokemon during each new generation. The process we decided to use was a modified version of the TL / TLT system.

Therefore, we are asking for applications for Generation Leaders and Update Leaders to serve as our leaders for updating CAP Pokemon for the 7th Generation CAP Metagame.

All nominees are expected to follow these principles for updating CAPs:

Principles

1. Justification: GameFreak updates its "face of the franchise" (competitively) Pokemon at regular intervals in competitively significant ways. CAP should do the same with our "face of the franchise," our CAP Pokemon.
2. Definition: An Update is defined as an addition or removal to a Pokemon's Movepool, or a change in their Ability. Base Statistics Updates will not be considered. Abilities are to be replaced, not removed, consistent with in-game precedent.
3. Frequency: Movepool Updates should be conducted upon each new game release, Ability Updates should be considered upon each new generation's release.
4. Continuity: All Updates should adhere to a CAP's Concept and Established Identity (Metagame Role, "CAP-iness" of the CAP.)
5. Coherence: All Updates should have sound competitive reasoning and /or in-game precedent (ex. From BW2 Tutors Electric and most Bug types getting ElectroWeb).
6. Appearance: All Updates should consider the overall optics of that revision and how it will impact perception of the CAP Community.
7. Acclimation: All Updates should acclimate the CAP to baseline competitive play in that release's OU (or equivalent) environment.
8. Conservation: All Updates should be as conservative as possible in acclimating the CAPs to the new release's environment.

Additional Expectations:

This is the thread for people to announce their desire to become either the Generational Leader (GL) or an Update Leader (UL) for the Sun/Moon Initial Metagame Release (Gen 7 SM). Do not suggest other users. If someone wants to become the GL or a UL, they will post on their own, and if they don't have a strong urge to be it then they shouldn't be signing up anyway. The CAP project requires the utmost dedication and a substantial amount of free time, especially to lead, meaning that only those who have carefully considered the magnitude of their application will apply at all. If you are not prepared to fulfill all of the responsibilities to the very end, then do not throw your hat into the ring.

We are looking to fill the following three positions to help us lead the creation of this new Pokemon:
  • Generational Leader: In the public's eyes, this is the leader of the generation of Pokemon they will be updating. They will balance out the Update Leaders in the threads for Pokemon of that generation, excercise quality control over slates and discussions, and work with moderator staff to ensure our CAP Update principles are adhered to. There will one Generational Leader for each prior generation of Pokemon (Gen 4 GL, Gen 5 GL, Gen 6 GL)
We are also looking to fill several (4-10) roles as Update Leaders of individual CAPs.
  • Update Leaders: ULs will be leading the four major competitive aspects of updating past CAP Creations. They will make slates for their respective threads and provide meaningful discussion points to each specific area of the update. ULs may be responsible for any and all of the discussions below, depending on intelligent community consensus for what a specific CAP update needs:
    • Ability Discussion
    • Competitive Movepool Discussion
    • Flavor Movepool Discussion

When making your application, please indicate which position(s) you are applying for. You must identify whether you're applying for GL or UL (you are allowed to apply for both). GLs and ULs should have the following qualifications:
  • Timeliness; each leader must be able to commit the time to active leadership
  • Deep knowledge of the game of Pokemon
  • Specific knowledge of the Gen 7 SM CAP Metagame and the Pokemon/Strategies/Threats within it.
  • Familiarity with competitive Pokemon concepts, strategy and philosophy, as practiced within Smogon
  • Willing to voice opinions and lead others
  • Open-minded to new ideas
  • Creative, "outside-of-the-box" thinker
  • Good writing skills
  • Level-headed when resolving disputes
  • Liked and respected by the CAP community
  • Be willing to work with their chosen role and partners

Once these Updates start, the Generational Leaders and Update Leaders will be the most important, most visible members of the CAP community, and they are expected to be a strong guiding force throughout the update process. If you are selected for any of these positions, you will have a great deal of power to influence updates. But you also have a responsibility to stay on top of things. You will have forum moderators to help you, but you need to be regularly active on each update until all are complete. All potential candidates should look through both the Topic Leadership Guide onsite and the CAP Process Archive subforum, to get an idea of what will be expected of you, if you are selected to be the (Gen 7 SM) Generational Leader or Update Leader.

This thread is strictly for candidacy posts and posts supporting those candidates. Please stay on topic. Below are the guidelines for posting in this thread:
  • Candidates must have been actively involved in recent CAP projects or the CAP Metagame. Involvement in multiple CAP projects is strongly preferred.
  • Do not suggest other people. If you want you encourage someone else to run, then send them a PM or talk to them on IRC.
  • If you are new to the CAP project, do not sign up in this thread. Instead, spend a project or two lurking, learning, and participating first.
  • Include a summary of your involvement in the CAP project and specifically the CAP Metagame.
  • Make a pitch for why you should be selected. If you can't present and defend yourself, then you can't expect to lead a project whose primary function is discussion and debate. Convince us that you are a good choice.
  • Poor spelling, punctuation, and grammar are great ways to look as though you don't know what you're talking about. A thoughtful and intelligent community leader should be capable of typing at a level above typical internet banter.
  • Even if you don't think you are better qualified than certain other candidates, you still should consider posting your application. Candidates not selected as GL or UL for this update will be on the watch list for next time around. Don't post your name if you don't intend to be active in the project, even if you are not selected, since people will be scrutinizing your involvement more closely.
  • Do not post disparaging remarks about any candidates.

If these rules are not followed, the offending user will be subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Applying for Update Leader, please.

You may already know, but my name is Mova. I've participated in the Project since Volkraken's project, but I started contributing properly during Naviathan's process. My favorite part of the process is the flavor, but I'm aware that isn't much of a priority at first. I have preferred to participate by asking questions about things I want to know more about, but I would love to help out fellow users more often. Knowledge is an excellent power to hold on to, after all. When working with other people, I desire to find a compromise so that everyone gets a share in what they need and want, rather than patronising my own ideals around fellow users. College education may get in the way, but I will try my best to participate on the forums anyway.

I don't have too much to say this time, other than wishing fellow users good luck.

Last edited:

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
I am Posting an Application for UL or Update Leader.

Hi all, I'm Broken Phobias!

I just want to let you all know that I am applying for Update Leader in this upcoming project. Let me give you a background check on who I am. I started Showdown in 2012 under various usernames and just played Random Battles and lurked chatrooms and forums. One of the rooms I lurked in was CAP although I didn't actually participate, I was much interested in Volkraken the CAP in process at that time. On Oct 10, 2014 I made a Username called Robybear and settled down in the room Challenges (which has since been deceased) and CAP. I was an extremely active member in the Challenges room and tried to keep it running as long as I possibly could. I kept a low profile in CAP and didn't really participate. After Challenges died I felt a huge void in my life and became New man. On Dec 14, 2014 I put on the mask and became Broken Phobias! As my new alter ego, I was still a little hesitant to participate. Finally I grew a pair and started participating in CAP thanks to my Role model at the time Zeonth. After CAP I started to venture to other chat rooms and soon found myself with the title of Driver in the room Health & Fitness and a decent Reputation in the tier PU. This is a brief history of my PS! and Smogon Career.

If you need confirmation of me being a good and dedicated user ask one of the following members: Akir, Paradise, or Slowbroth

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Applying for Update Leader

My name is snake_rattler (if you couldn't tell by looking left :P). I've been around in the CAP Metagame since right after Naviathan playtest. I'm very familiar with the CAP Metagame now, experimenting with most balance and offensive styles. I've especially have had fun testing out Gen 7 Trick Room teams. I've managed to stay alive in HeaLnDeaL's CAP Survivor and have made it to Finals in @Kyubic's Gen 7 Kickoff Tournament, and I've run the CAP Good Cores and Victim of the Week threads. I've been on the CAP VR and QC teams as well. Hopefully these qualifications are indicative of my presence and impact on the forum and room on PS!.

As for official CAP Process, I've participated in the Crucibelle process, was Ability Leader for Kerfluffle, and won the stat spread (along with HeaL) and the movepool poll for Kerfluffle. Since I dug through the archive before I had hopped into the room on PS! for the first time, I'm fairly familiar with the processes for most of the CAPs, so I know the concepts and motivations behind most decisions made over the history of CAP.

I would love to help lead this process. I have experience in the CAP Metagame, good relations between many of the CAP regulars and higher-ups, experience leading CAP Process threads, and motivation to help make our CAPs look like Generation 7 Pokemon.

~snakey

Last edited:

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like to apply for Update Leader.

I have been active in the CAP metagame since the Kitsunoh playtest, and I remain one of the most active and successful players on the CAP ladder. I have a strong understanding of the qualities that make Pokemon successful in a metagame, as well as the qualities that push Pokemon too far. I have played at a high level in a diverse group of metagames, including OU, UU and Ubers for every generation since DP.

I have extensive leadership experience both in real life and on Smogon: I have been a super moderator and a tier leader for DPP UU and BW OU. I was the TL for Tomohawk, the first CAP of 5th Generation. My experiences as both a tier leader and especially as a pastor (in real life) have given me extensive experience with managing opposing factions and viewpoints with tact and dignity, as well as casting a vision without making unilateral decisions. As an older user (I am 33 years old), I am mature enough not to get drawn into flame wars or organizational drama.

As a long-time CAP user and player as well as a long-time OU player, I am familiar with the ways in which GameFreak has updated competitively used Pokemon, and have seen what effects these changes can have in actual gameplay. For instance, I was active in the transition from DP to DPP, in which Scizor received Technician Bullet Punch, forever changing the landscape of OU. I was also active during the first, ill-fated round of CAP revisions, so I witnessed the fury that was Dragon Dance Pyroak, and will strive to do better.

I look forward to the joy and challenge of leading an update!

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would like to apply for one of the Generational Leader positions and an Update Leader.

I am old man. I am so old that I was involved in DP Syclant, which was made before Bullet Punch Scizor was even a thing and everyone was concerned about Garchomps with Uber Tires. I'm applying for Generational Leader as I have been present through every generation and iteration of the CAP Project Process, and really believe CAP is at a point where our procedures can not only address updating our CAPs, but can do so in a competitively neutral way. Naturally as I've been a TL for 2.5 CAPs myself and was the Movepool TLT for the most recent project, I have working knowledge of every relevant aspect of these discussions and will be able to help our Update Leaders through them.

I also actively battle on the CAP Ladder and have a good working knowledge of the threats in the CAP Metagame, and have contributed two approved "Good SM Cores" to our ongoing thread in the CAP Meta. I will of course work well with other mods on staff and all the update leaders for whatever generation is selected. I am hoping several other people step up to be Generational Leaders as well so we can have a strong poll on that.

All of these qualifications of course make me want to be an Update Leader as well. If I am selected as a GL, for obvious reasons I will decline to be a UL.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hello there fellow CAP players and users! I'm applying for both the Generational Leader and Update Leader positions.

Like some other CAP members, I, too, am old. While not as old as CAP1 users, I first started on my CAP journey with CAP10, Krilowatt, and haven't looked back since. From there, I contributed positively as a member of CAP for many, many projects, submitting everything from typing suggestions to stat spreads to movepools. I was also asked to take on a few leadership positions within the community. One such example was me being the Movepool TLT for Cawmodore. While I've had other leadership opportunities come to a halt due to IRL complications, since my latest return, I have been extremely active for the CAP community both on the forums and on Pokemon Showdown!.

As for my competitive knowledge and results, I consider myself to be an above average player with some notable victories over my years of playing Pokemon. Most of my CAP and non-CAP success came in Generation V. I was #1 on Smogon's DW OU ladder in Generation V and had high ladder rankings in normal OU. In Generation 6, I was #2 for the Crucibelle playtest period. In Generation VII, I was as high as Top 3 on the ladder at some points, and consistently have a 1500 rating on the ladder (fluctuating depending on if I'm testing teams). I was a part of the Choice Band Revenankhs, winners of the most recent CAPTT2 tournament. I have also been a positive presence in competitive discussions, including potential updates and team-building ideas.

For all those reasons, I believe I am qualified to fit either position, and it would be a pleasure to once again serve the CAP community!

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Hello! I'll be applying for Update Leader.

Many of you may recognize me from being a Driver in the CAP Project room on Showdown!, or from my active participation on this forum throughout Generation 6. I stumbled upon CAP while looking through Smogon during the middle of CAP19, Plasmanta. Before long, I familiarized myself with the process, learned the nuts and bolts of previous CAP creations, and got involved myself. Throughout Gen 6, I continued to follow and participate in discussion threads and polls. Then, when it came to CAP22 Kerfluffle, I completely engrossed myself in the project and became an extremely active member of the community.

Now that I have come this far, I believe I am fit to lead a CAP update process. My experience as a leader includes my leader-like role in the CAP Project Showdown! room, and, outside of CAP, hosting the successful Battle Tent tournament. For recent CAP projects, my submissions for movepools, stat spreads, and concepts have been slated, and my participation in discussion threads has influenced the course of our creations. Also, through endless time spent in the PS! room and participation in CAP tournaments, I have become a proficient player of the CAP metagame. I have deep knowledge of the many threats, teambuilding archetypes, and strategies used, and I have witnessed the shifts the metagame has experienced over time.

As for CAP updates, I am enthusiastic and excited about the upcoming process. When we found out about the buffs and updates Pokemon received upon the release of Sun and Moon, it provided new life to the franchise, and for CAP it will be no different. As a Update Leader, I will ensure that our past creations are transformed into contemporary threats while still adhering to their original concept and direction.

Thank you for your consideration!

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello, I'm cbrevan and I'll be applying for Generational Leader and Update Leader.

For those unaware of who I am, I'm a long time participant in the CAP metagame, where I've been active for well over two years and throughout the entirety of the ORAS metagame. I've also been part of the room authority for well over a year and am currently in the position of roomowner for the CAP room on Pokemon Showdown! I've also been a longtime contributor to the CAP Metagame subforum, both as a longstanding QC member for CAP analyses and a host for a variety of projects ranging from the Role Compendium, Teamworkshop, and Viability Ranking threads. I've also been a manager for both CAP Team Tours, and the manager of the winning team for last years CAPTT. As far as Gen 6 CAP goes, I was stomping that ladder before ORAS was released and continued to do so for long after. If you need further proof of my ability with the metagame just take a look at the recent Gen 6 Farewell tournament that was hosted in the CAP Meta Subforum, where I ended up as a finalist. Also in case it wasn't obvious, I've been continuing my contributions to the Gen 7 CAP metagame and I am up to date with the metagame.

In terms of project experience, my biggest contribution has been my work co-leading CAP 22, Kerfluffle, after our dearest sparktrain went into an early (and short) retirement. I've been in a leadership position and I believe I performed aptly, moreover I wish to extend this performance to a project so pivotal to the metagame I love. I won't deny that there are many others with years of experience more in terms of the CAP process, but I can guarantee you I have a breadth of experience with the CAP metagame to draw upon instead. If possible I would love to serve as a Generational Leader, but if that is impossible I would also be glad to serve as an Update Leader.

Thank you all for reading, have a great day.

Conni

katharsis
Hi there! I'm Conni and I want to apply to be a Update Leader

I've been lurking around the start of CAP 21: Crucibelle, which honestly wasn't a long time ago so I'd consider myself a so and so experienced user who knows somethings about CAP but not as much as most people who are actively contributing here. My overall experience with Smogon was that I started lurking around the Smogon forums around late 2015, and I became more active starting from early 2016, being part of the late ORAS metagame and the early SM metagame which I still remain a part of. To be straightforward, I'm not really that important around in Smogon, although I know a lot of people on Smogon and I guess some people know me. I mainly stick around Little Cup, but I started to stick around CAP as well because the idea of fanmade Pokemon and the idea of being a part in creating these whole new cool Pokemon really inspires me, so I decided to stick around here as well. As for Pokemon Showdown, I've joined early 2015 to early 2016 as a lurker mostly until now from early 2016 I've become much involved with Pokemon Showdown as I'm currently a Room Driver in the Pokemon Go room and a Voice in the Cafe Le Wow room, and I pretty much know a lot of people from PS and I know PS pretty well.

As more in depth of my CAP experience, currently I've been voting and submitting my ideas for polls, namely the CAP 22 Pre-Evolution polls, and I've got an idea of how things go around in CAP as I was asking questions and lurking more frequently until I understood. I also wanted to be more active in CAP and its future Pokemon projects so I applied and became a CAP 23 PRC member, and I made a post in the Policy Review forums about my opinions about CAP and its policy. I haven't really involved myself much with CAP honestly, although I'd love to participate further in future projects and I think that being an Update Leader might help me learn more about CAP and the community and it would be a nice stepping stone into my further involvement into CAP and its community.

Thanks for your time for reading this application!

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello everyone. I'm going to be applying to be a Generational Leader or Update Leader.

A lot of you may know me already, but I have been around the CAP project for a long time now, starting at the beginning of the 5th generation with the Tomohawk project. Since then I have been a part of almost all things CAP, from the main projects to the metagame. I have participated in nearly every CAP discussion for the past 5+ years, been a leader of CAP's various live chat rooms, been a member of the first 6th generation TLT, and been involved with nearly every aspect of CAP policy. But, by far the most notably, is the fact that I have had the unique honor of being voted into the Topic Leader position twice, for the Malaconda and Crucibelle projects. These experiences have given me experience and perspective that I think will be a huge help hen it comes to updating our Pokemon.

As far as relevant metagame knowledge goes, I have been an active part of the CAP metagame community, dating back all the way to gen 5, when I pretty much was the entirety of the CAP metagame community. As the community has grown I have continued to be an active member, participating in various competitions. I can't claim to have a top rated account on the ladder or anything, as what laddering I do usually is more about testing than competing, but I do frequently battle in other settings, and I consider myself to have a strong working knowledge of the metagame.

Thanks to these various experience, I have an incredibly strong understanding of everything CAP related, and especially what goes into a CAP Pokemon, which I believe will be a huge help in making sure that any updates we do stay true to the projects principles and goals, while helping the Pokemon better fit in the 7th generation with all of their GameFreak created counterparts. I am very excited to see how this goes, and I very much forward to being a part of it, no matter what role I end up in.

Hey all, I'm applying for Generational Leader and Update Leader.

As many users will attest to, I'm an avid CAP metagame enthusiast, and I've been a part of the community for the better part of the past two generations. I've been posting in the CAP metagame subforum since its inception in mid-2014, and I've had a very large presence there. I've acted as a member of the QC team, a member of the Viability Rankings council, a forum moderator, and I've posted in the subforum more than any other user on the site. I've hosted and been involved with several projects and tournaments in the subforum, perhaps the most notable of which being CAPTT, where I've managed the Naughty Necturnas both times, made it to finals both times, and won once. As far as proof of my knowledge and ability with the current metagame goes, I'm a finalist in the Gen 7 kickoff tour, I qualified for playoffs in the first week of laddering for the ladder tour, I've played several hundred battles in the current metagame, peaking the ladder on a few occasions, and I have several alts in the current top 20.

Throughout Gen 6, I've been involved with several CAP Projects as well. I've actively participated in discussions, I've won a few polls, and I was a TLT member for our first mega CAP, Crucibelle, which ultimately led to me receiving the CAP Contributor badge for my efforts. I also co-led our first CAP built for the CAP metagame, Kerfluffle, with my friend cbrevan. I openly admit that I made a mistake by committing to a position I didn't have time to see through to its completion. Rest assured, I've carefully considered the magnitude of this application and wouldn't be signing up if I didn't have the time to commit, and I hope that my recent involvement and participation, as well as my dedication to the CAP community over the years, speaks to this. I'd love the opportunity to help lead the community through either a GL or UL position. Regardless of whether or not I'm chosen, I greatly look forward being a part of this exciting project.

Thanks for reading! Good luck to everyone signing up; I'm glad to see such a strong pool of applicants!

Deck Knight

Mod Note: We intend to keep nominations up until the end of the day Sunday, EST. If you intend to nominate yourself, please do so before that time. After nominations close we will sort through nominees and have a poll up early next week.

Deck Knight

We have 23 CAPs, what happens if we don't have enough ULs?
Per the Policy Thread, our intention is to run 3 update threads at a time, and cycle through ULs as the "next most important (complex)" set of CAPs come up.

So lets say per the voters that 3 CAPs really need to have their abilities discussed, 14 of them need competitive movepool updates, and the remaining 6 only need a flavor update. If we had 8 ULs, we'd do the 3 that need abilities discussed first, do 5 of the competitive movepool CAPs, and then the 8 ULs would cycle through another 8 competitive movepool CAPs.

After that there would be a third cycle where the the top UL vote recipient would have the final competitive movepool CAP and the remaining ULs would cycle through the remaining flavor movepool CAPs.

'ello there! For those of you who don't know me, my name is KrazyCake (formally known as ChronicleGem on PS) I'll be applying for Update Leader

I've been a part of CAP for over a year now and have participated in two projects. When I first joined CAP I was pretty new and didn't know how much of it worked so back then I was pretty much a dumb noob who didn't know what the hell they were doing (pls don't look at my old posts they were bad DX). I was told once that I needed to lurk more because of my lack of CAP knowledge at the time, so I lurked and when I say lurked I mean it! I went from start to finish reading through the archives I saw what most TLs did right/wrong so I can safely say I know my stuff! So after leaning more about CAP, I changed my name on Pokemon Showdown from ChronicleGem to KrazyCake as it was my name on Smogon already, the main reason behind changing my name was mainly because people always thought I was a crazy Steven Universe fan, and while I do like the show I didn't really want to be associated with the fanbase >~< the second reason was to show a kind of metamorphosis as I went from a newbie to someone who knew what they were doin! I've just joined the CAP PRC recently and am currently in the middle of hosting a Secret Santa thread!

In terms of my metagame knowledge I've played CAP for 2 years now and have gotten really good at it (but that's just what I think) I've peaked top ten multiple times and have even gotten up to the number one spot on the Gen 7 CAP ladder!

As UL I'll try my very best to do it right and not the same common mistakes most TLs make.
I'm a very open minded person and am willing to give every idea a chance I have no life so I'll be very active.

tl;dr I've studied the history of CAP and have seen where things where done right and done wrong and will do my best not to make the same mistakes that they make, I've grown greatly in knowledge and as a player in general, I will try my hardest to stay attentive and bring a fun/enjoyable experience to everyone.

I hope you consider my application ~KrazyCake

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Nominations are now closed, please have patience while we continue this process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)