Project Community Create-a-Team! - Submission Phase (Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reserving Scizor-Mega

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

The fact that Gengar lost Levitate because of the shift to S/M mean that it does really appreciate being paired with a mon that can get the rocks out of the field, and this is something in which Scizor Mega does exel. Additionally, it does deal very well with all the pursuit trapper Gengar fears, such as Tyranitar or Weavile. Also, because of Gengar's horrible bulk, the slow u-turn Scizor brings is really nice in order tp keep the momentum against offence.

Last edited:

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

These two mons have really good sinergy and they share some checks and counters, mainly in the form of AV Magearna, which Gengar can wear down to put in range of Hydro Pump. AshNinja setup Spikes to improve Gengar's wallbreaking capabilities, wearing down the opposite to a late-game clean, while AshNinja beats Tyranitar and Weavile. A thing to note is teams which relies in AV Tangrowth, Fini, M-Venusaur or Toxapex as their AshNinja/Special Attackers check will be cucked by Specs Gengar, who can OHKO or 2HKO all of those mons after rocks, letting AshNinja run rampant in lategame.

This was probably the quickest voting I have ever done in my entire life lol, but I think Scizor is nearly unnanimous, other 'mons would need a lot of votes to turn it around so, I decided to close it already. Here's the current team:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Submissions open again!

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
I might've missed something, but weren't we giving Gengar trick to be able to do smthn vs stall? I know depending on the route the team takes it can be changed, but just curious.

The two members struggle vs fast, special attackers such as Ash-Gren and Tapu Koko. A lot of pokemon fit the bill here to counter these two depending what road we want to take - there's AV Tangrowth, Bulu, Ferro, Gastrodon, etc.. I don't have time to post + explain a specific mon atm, but I'd be inclined towards Tangrowth/Gastro; Tangrowth would still make us a bit Heatran weak tho, so keep that in mind. I like Gastro altho it might be more of a niche pick. Interested to see what people come up with!

I might've missed something, but weren't we giving Gengar trick to be able to do smthn vs stall? I know depending on the route the team takes it can be changed, but just curious.
Yes we are, I copy pasted the wrong Gengar set, lol, I'll fix it right now! Really like Gastro too btw, I've been experimenting with Mega Scizor + Gastro as some sort of defensive core for bulky offense and it works pretty well! Gastro is also great against Heatran as you said, specially since Bloom Doom is very rare and it also provides a Magearna counter which is really good!

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- Stun Spore
Amoonguss is a bulky pivot that can tank against common attackers that trouble this team such as Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko. In addition, Spore and Stun Spore allows it to spread status, paralysis is especially great for Gengar who doesn't have scarf. HP Fire is to hit Ferro who otherwise is a problem for this team.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

I would like to submit this set. Specs Gengar really appreciates hazards which the Tyranitar can provide. It also lures in stuff with Ice Beam, like Lando and Firium Z Garchomp which tears through this core. It can eat the fire, ghost, dark and psychic type moves aimed at Mega Scizor and Gengar respectively. Gengar can also help with its fighting weakness. It does stack a Ground weakness though... (RIP Levitate)

EDIT: Well this set could lure rocky helmet lando and zygarde sooooo.... Also Exploudit how long do the submission and voting periods last?

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
A defensive landot of some sort I dont know the norm so someone feel free to put up there own nom for this. Focus on mons who offer role compression for basic needs then consider niche options and stuff related to the below.

This project normally has the same symptoms that a lot of create the team projects have in multiple tiers where there is no unified sense of direction. Teams need to be built on a foundation of via a win condition or theoretical goal to wins. Some of the best teams you see usually end up with this in mind if you do your homework and really break down team structures. Right now you have some minor defensive utility and a bit of offensive pressure but right now has no clear gameplan. Granted there is still 4 more slots but you have a lot to cover in terms of threat management, both from an individual threat and playstyle standpoint.

This might go a lot smoother if you decide on an intended purpose of how the team should function so it narrows down viable options. Plopping random things for the sake of building or fixing small mistakes going in circles is going to end up creating sloppy results.

Obviously this can change after making the team, but the staus quo of projects sometimes need to be revised / looked at from a different perspective to gain anything useful out of it in the long run.

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/gastrodon.gif
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Evs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Gastrodon is a great SpDef Wall, although niche as it checks two of the main threats to this team in Greninja and Koko, as well as Non- Bloom doom Heatran, Non Fairium Z Magearna and many others. It would provide a great deal of help to the two mons as it covers Zor's fire weakness and Gengar's weakness to koko and gren.

The Evs are specially designed to maximise Special Defense while also keeping some Physical Defense.
Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 196-232 (46 - 54.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 141-166 (33 - 38.9%) -- 8.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 71-84 (16.6 - 19.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 160-190 (37.5 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
168+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 192-226 (45 - 53%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 246-290 (57.7 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Magearna Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 88-104 (20.6 - 24.4%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Magearna All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 184-217 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 174-205 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Magearna Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 130-154 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Evs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Gastrodon is a great SpDef Wall, although niche as it checks two of the main threats to this team in Greninja and Koko, as well as Non- Bloom doom Heatran, Non Fairium Z Magearna and many others. It would provide a great deal of help to the two mons as it covers Zor's fire weakness and Gengar's weakness to koko and gren.

The Evs are specially designed to maximise Special Defense while also keeping some Physical Defense.
Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 196-232 (46 - 54.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 141-166 (33 - 38.9%) -- 8.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 71-84 (16.6 - 19.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 160-190 (37.5 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
168+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 192-226 (45 - 53%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 246-290 (57.7 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Magearna Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 88-104 (20.6 - 24.4%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Magearna All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 184-217 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 174-205 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Magearna Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Gastrodon: 130-154 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Just a heads up, Earthquake over Earth Power for Calm Mind Magearna (and non Giga Drain Volcarona). And while this EV Spread looks cool, I don't see much reason not to run 252 HP / 252 SpD. If you really want some physical bulk though, I'd suggest an EV spread of 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD, because it let's you avoid the 2HKO from Keldeo's Secret Sword after Stealth Rock and running too much defense allows Mega Camerupt and Ash Gren to have a decent chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, which isn't really desirable. Other than that, great pick! And btw, please use this sprite instead:

Last edited:

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey, I am on my phone so I can't make a super thorough post but:

RHelmet Landorus Therian & any Zygarde set seem really annoying to face. I recommend focusing on some ground type checks. Tangrowth is a neat option if we want to do balance, but I was thinking more of the lines of static zapdos. Gives us a Scizor counter & a decent Landorus Therian check. It's nice because scizor provides the defog support so zapdos isn't so pressured by sr. Zygarde can still be potentially annoying but offensive Zyg can be whittled down by Scizor safely uturn chunking & getting zapdos in safely (as switching zapdos into TA would be problematic).

We were also weak to Pinsir, so it helps alleviate these issues too. Zard-Y / Heatran / Volc would be the next wave of threats we would have to address next (or we could answer them now and then address land/zyg later).

(BandTar could be a neat addition as well for combating volc/zard/zard).

Also I am confused as to what our wincond is?? I'm assuming out gameplan is to spam spec gar shadow ball or swave as primary wincond? Don't know, Gengar is usually best at putting holes into teams for another wincond to clean up so dunno how I feel abt that...

Edit @ below: you can have tangrowth!! Nothing in this post is reserved just tossing out my thoughts you guys can nom anything I said :-) tang is also good for closing up our tapu koko weakness, but opens up volc/zard/heatran weakness and pinsir / scizor weakness

Last edited:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Hey, I am on my phone so I can't make a super thorough post but:

RHelmet Landorus Therian & any Zygarde set seem really annoying to face. I recommend focusing on some ground type checks. Tangrowth is a neat option if we want to do balance, but I was thinking more of the lines of static zapdos. Gives us a Scizor counter & a decent Landorus Therian check. It's nice because scizor provides the defog support so zapdos isn't so pressured by sr. Zygarde can still be potentially annoying but offensive Zyg can be whittled down by Scizor safely uturn chunking & getting zapdos in safely (as switching zapdos into TA would be problematic).

We were also weak to Pinsir, so it helps alleviate these issues too. Zard-Y / Heatran / Volc would be the next wave of threats we would have to address next (or we could answer them now and then address land/zyg later).

(BandTar could be a neat addition as well for combating volc/zard/zard)
Do you mind if I reserve Tangrowth then? Or do you want to reserve that for yourself?

umm It has been 7 days since submissions opened up, so I apologize but shouldn't voting begin? Unless this project has been put on hiatus. Or Mega meganium and Exploudit's computers are fucked up.

EDIT: Actually Exploudit just posted an RMT an hour and a half ago sooo maybe I'm just clueless...

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
umm It has been 7 days since submissions opened up, so I apologize but shouldn't voting begin? Unless this project has been put on hiatus. Or Mega meganium and Exploudit's computers are fucked up.

EDIT: Actually Exploudit just posted an RMT an hour and a half ago sooo maybe I'm just clueless...
They're probably waiting on more submissions because right now there are only 2 options for the next team member (3 if you take max hp leftovers ttar into account) and thats a bit restricting considering how many mons could actually fit here.
On a bit of a side note, I agree with AM's and Shurtugal's concerns regarding this project. Building a team with no direction set from the start is weird because you never really know what youre aiming to do. We're almost halfway through this first team and there isn't a clear wincon yet outside of trying to break with voltturn+specs gar, which isnt even that reliable to begin with because ttar is better now. Theres not much to fix at this point outside of improving this team as much as possible but for future rounds it'd be better if the starting point of the team was a mon that could set a direction for the rest of the team, which would help this project go more smoothly instead of just trying to fit mons on a team.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Freeze Shock
- Earth Power / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
This set is one that I've used in combination with Specs Gengar and I think works pretty well. It breaks through things like mantine and toxapex which would otherwise be a noticeable nuisance to the team. Gengar can also break mons like mew for KyuB, allowing it to have an easier time sweeping. Not much else to say- HP fire can be ran over epower to hit scizor.

As several posts said it before, we lack any solid wincon, aside from just firing specs boosted moves from Gengar, and this is why I would like to submit Z-move Gyarados as our next mon.

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Gyarados does benefit a lot from specs Gengar, then it can severely weaken more or less all of the viable checks to Gyarados, such as Ferrothorn, Zapdos, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Toxapex, as well as the uncommon (Mega) Slowbro, and makes it for him to proceed it's sweep. On the other hand, it does also appreciate Scizor's ability to remove the rocks from the field, making it harder to revenge kill with priority.

Attachments

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

Standard Defensive Leftovers Landorus-T provides us with a solid and splashable Ground immunity. It can act as a catch-all check to many threatening physical attackers like Zygarde, Garchomp, opposing Landorus-T, and Tyranitar. It's also able to bring in Choice Specs Gengar fairly reliably with a slow U-turn, allowing it to break down teams more easily. Providing Stealth Rock support is a bonus and its good bulk lets it set it reliably over the course of a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)