[COMPLETED] Garchomp

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

the og
[Pros]

<ul>
<li>A strong base 130 Attack coupled with a solid STAB combination that is only resisted by Skarmory and Bronzong, though Togekiss is immune to both.</li>
<li>Access to Swords Dance, allowing it to sweep many defensively oriented teams that lack Speed.</li>
<li>Base 102 Speed allows it to outpace other Dragons such as Goodra, Zygarde, and Mega Charizard X.</li>
<li>Very respectable bulk, which allows it to deal with prominent threats such as Talonflame, Aegislash, and non-Hidden Power Ice Blaziken.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Still prone to being checked by faster threats such as Greninja, Starmie, and Noivern.</li>
<li>Mega Garchomp's Speed is a bit lower than regular Garchomp, so it can be outsped by opposing Pokemon that are anything base 95 Speed and higher.</li>
<li>Mega Garchomp is susceptible to status and Ice-type moves as it can only hold Garchompite.</li>
<li>Sand Stream nerf makes it more difficult for Mega Garchomp to get boosts from Sand Force</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Garchomp @ Yache Berry / Lum Berry<br />
Ability: Rough Skin <br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe <br />
Jolly Nature<br />
- Swords Dance<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Dragon Claw / Outrage<br />
- Fire Fang / Stone Edge<br /></p>

<ul>
<p>Swords Dance Garchomp plays very similar to Garchomp sets from previous generations. Thanks to its bulk and unique Speed stat, Garchomp has many opportunities to use Swords Dance, then proceed to rip through an opponent's entire team. Earthquake and Dragon Claw are hard-hitting STAB moves, and are the primary sweeping moves after a Swords Dance, and provide handy coverage against the majority of the metagame. Outrage can be considered over Dragon Claw, but is risky to use due to the prominence of Fairy-types such as Togekiss and Florges. To round off Garchomp's coverage, Fire Fang can help against Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory. On the other hand, Stone Edge helps Garchomp hit Togekiss for respectable damage.</p>

<p>Yache Berry is used to ensure that faster Pokemon with Ice-type moves such as Starmie and Greninja cannot revenge kill or check Garchomp entirely. Lum Berry is used so that moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Spore, Toxic, or Scald do not interfere with setting up Swords Dance. Additionally, if Garchomp still has Lum Berry while it Outrages, it can recover itself from confusion and sweep for another round. Life Orb can be used for some extra power, but Yache and Lum Berry are generally more useful as they provide Garchomp more security in setting up and sweeping.</p>

<p>Rotom-W can deal with Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Togekiss, Skarmory, and Starmie, while also providing some Volt Switch momentum that can sometimes allow Garchomp to get a free set-up on Pokemon. Scizor also helps by providing U-turn momentum while providing priority to pick off Weavile and Mamoswine; Swords Dance variants can also prove helpful in eliminating Ferrothorn.</p>
</ul>

<p>Garchomp @ Choice Scarf<br />
Naive Nature<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Stone Edge<br />
- Fire Blast<br /></p>

<p>Scarf Garchomp is still capable of threatening many sweepers in the game, such as Volcarona, opposing Garchomp, Starmie, Noivern, Mega Charizard X, and Dragonite to name a few. In particular, Scarf Garchomp can switch into a +1 Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X and revenge kill. Garchomp functions well as a revenge killer thanks to its unique 102 Base Speed, and can come in as a way to prevent the opponent from sweeping with a fast Pokemon. Earthquake helps against most common threats that are not immune to Earthquake, while Dragon Claw is useful against opposing Dragon-types. Outrage, while stronger, can be a bit risker to use due to Pokemon like Togekiss, Florges, and Sylveon being able to set-up or OHKO. Stone Edge is useful against Volcarona as well as Togekiss, while Fire Blast is useful for hitting Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory, both of which are very common.</p>

<p>Because Choice Garchomp can be easily exploited, trappers such as Mega Gengar or Magnezone are nice to have in order to eliminate Steel-types or Fairy-types such as Togekiss, or other Pokemon that would otherwise wall it such as Hippowdon and Gliscor.</p>

<p>Garchomp @ Choice Band<br />
Jolly Nature<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Stone Edge<br />
- Fire Fang<br /></p>

<p>This set plays rather differently from Choice Scarf Garchomp, as Band Garchomp trades revenge killing capabilities for brute force. Earthquake and Dragon Claw serve as primary coverage while Stone Edge and Fire Fang cover for Togekiss and opposing Steel-types that Earthquake cannot handle. This set is especially decent for teams looking to punch holes into an opponent's defense, leaving other set-up Pokemon to sweep afterwards.</p>

</p>Gengar makes a great teammate for Garchomp because it can deal with Hippowdon and Gliscor rather well, and also has the option to Mega Evolve and trap other threats with Shadow Tag if need be. This is especially useful against Pokemon such as Skarmory who would otherwise be able to switch in and out of Garchomp rather easily. Rotom-W makes a decent teammate as well as it can Volt Switch after luring in physically weak Pokemon such as Blissey, giving Garchomp an opportunity to attack the opponent. Furthermore, it is capable of handling both Hippowdon and Skarmory, two of Garchomp's most common responses. Lastly, Pokemon that can prevent Hippowdon and Skarmory from setting up such as Taunt + Defog Crobat make decent teammates as your opponent will be unable to fully capitalize on the free turns given from switching Garchomp out. </p>

[Mega Evolution Recommendations and Play]

<p>Garchomp @ Garchompite<br />
Ability: Sand Force<br />
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe <br />
Jolly Nature<br />
- Swords Dance <br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Dragon Claw<br />
- Stone Edge<br />
<br /></p>

<ul>
<p>Mega Garchomp works best on sand teams as a late-game cleanup, thanks to Sand Force. However, it is also more susceptible to status and Ice-type moves as it must hold Garchompite, so it should only be brought in when it is guaranteed to tank a hit or kill effortlessly. Again, Dragon Claw and Earthquake are the main forms of offense: Earthquake in particular hits very hard under Sandstorm, while Dragon Claw is generally preferred over Outrage as Garchomp cannot rely on Lum Berry to cure confusion. Furthermore, a neutral Sand Force-boosted Earthquake also hits about as hard as Outrage. By extension, Stone Edge gets a boost under Sandstorm as well, and can be used to take down Flying-types such as Togekiss who completely walls Garchomp otherwise. </p>

<p>The Speed EVs allow for Garchomp to outspeed maximum investment, neutral nature 100 Base Speed Pokemon such as Salamence and Volcarona, and everything under it including Rotom-W, Adamant Lucario, Gyarados, and Mamoswine. If you choose to use Fire Blast over Swords Dance, you may want to consider going mixed with Draco Meteor over Dragon Claw while running a Naive nature to put more pressure on things on physically bulky Pokemon such as Gliscor and Hippowdon. Lastly, a simple 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd spread can work to outspeed Jolly Base 100 Speed Pokemon, but loses out on a little bulk</p>

<p> Teammates that help set up Sandstorm such as Tyranitar and Hippowdon are necessary to utilize Mega Garchomp to its fullest extent; Assault Vest Tyranitar in particular works great against Togekiss and Starmie, while Smooth Rock Hippowdon can help Garchomp utilize Sand Force more effectively due to the prolonged duration of Sandstorm. Pokemon like Ferrothorn that can take on Starmie and lay out some entry hazards as well is also appreciated.</p>
</ul>

EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe <br />
Naughty Nature<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Draco Meteor<br />
- Fire Blast<br />
- Stone Edge<br /></p>

<ul>
<p>With a notable increase in Special Attack, Mega Garchomp can run a mixed set that can quickly threaten teams without having to use Swords Dance to set up. This set provides instant offense in the form of Earthquake and Draco Meteor, as the Sand Force boost will nearly 2HKO anything that does not resist Earthquake. Draco Meteor helps Garchomp handle otherwise common switch-ins such as Gliscor and Hippowdon, which hits very hard despite the minimal investment in Special Attack. Physically defensive Hippowdon, for example, is 2HKOed by a Sand Force Earthquake + Draco Meteor. Fire Blast and Stone Edge round out Garchomp's coverage, as Fire Blast is used to hit Ferrothorn and Skarmory, while Stone Edge allows Garchomp to hit Togekiss for respectable damage, especially under Sandstorm.</p>

<p>Tyranitar and Smooth Rock Hippowdon are extremely important in order for Mega Garchomp to hit its hardest, as Sand Force is one of Mega Garchomp's main selling points. Ferrothorn works well with laying entry hazards out for Garchomp to sweep, and can switch into Starmie and Greninja that lack Hidden Power Fire. Rotom-W can also help against Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Gliscor, while also resisting Ice Shard from the likes of Mamoswine and Weavile.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Togekiss walls Garchomp unless it is running Stone Edge, as it is immune to both Dragon- and Ground-type attacks. Pokemon such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn can help with Garchomp to an extent, but must always be wary of Fire Fang or Fire Blast -- both of which are extremely common on Garchomp.</p>

<p>Checking Garchomp is a bit easier, as Pokemon such as Greninja, Starmie, Mamoswine, and Weavile can check it to an extent with a fast Ice-type move, whether it be an Ice Beam or a priority move in Ice Shard. Choice Scarf-using threats such as Moxie Salamence can also threaten Garchomp quite a bit.</p>

Last edited:

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Stealth Rock can be used over Fire Fang / Fire Blast so Garchomp can be used as a lead.
Unless Garchomp gets Stealth Rock as an egg or level up move, there is (currently), no way to get a SR Garchomp in XY. Remove please if SR is indeed unobtainable.

Garchomp gets Iron Head as an egg move, and it can be breed, say through Aggron.

If Iron Head becomes worthy of a moveslot, slash it next to the Fire Blast/Fang on the 1st set, and next to Stone Edge or in front of it on the Mega set, considering it gets a sand force boost. Considering the weather nerf, I don't see Mega Garchomp getting a teamslot unless it is a late game cleaner. You might want to mention that in the set comments.

Last edited:
No Fire Blast in the Mega set? With 120 Base SpA, it's his strongest move vs Skarmory and Ferrothorn, pretty much making Mega-Chomp a complete stallbreaker. I'd pretty much throw it slashed with Swords Dance if people want to go that route. I honestly don't see Mega Chomp sweeping much with Swords Dance when its faster counterpart which can hold a Yache Berry can do the same thing...the vulnerability to Ice, Dragon, and Fairy with the lowered Speed actually hurts.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mixed MegaChomp definitely looks legit. Hell you almost could play the old ChainChomp of Generation 4 maybe...

...Probably not recommended, though.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I talked with QC about this a bit 2 days ago, so I slashed FB with SD and I put Draco Meteor in AC for the possibility of going mixed on the mega chomp set.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
First of all, change the order of the moves on the first set:

Jolly / Naive Nature<br />
- Swords Dance<br />
- Earthquake<br />

Swords Dance goes first because it's the focus of the set and EQ goes second because it's your most reliable STAB (you don't want to be spamming Outrage with Fairies around do you?). You can also see that i addeed or removed a few moves so let me explain. First of all, i slashed Dragon Claw before Outrage. This is necessary because Garchomp can't afford to get locked into Outrage anymore. In 5th gen, SD Garchomp could get away by getting locked into Outrage against slower teams, because even after killin one Pokemon it could still mess up the Steel-type pretty bad with 1-2 +2 Outrage hits (defensive Steel-types can't OHKO Garchomp). But now, the moment you OHKO something you will be revenge killed by Togekiss / Sylveon / Florges / Azumarill while not being able to do any damage back, which is huge. So you are better off with a reliable STAB that doesn't lock you in. Also, i slashed Stone Edge after Fire Fang because otherwise Togekiss walls you. Fire Blast is not needed as you can already 2HKO Skarmory at +2 with Fire Fang.

As for Mega Garchomp i want you to add the following set:

MegaGarchomp @ Garchompnite
Sand Force
Naughty Nature
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

The SpA EVs allow Draco Meteor to always OHKO physically defensive Hippowdon after it has taken an EQ. Stone Edge covers Pokemon such as Rotom-W and Togekiss. For more info check here. Mention that a Sand Stream partner is a must, preferably one with Smooth Rock.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also, I think using Scarf Garchomp is still fine and dandy. Not as big of a deal as it was the last two generations, but from what little I did use it the job it did was good enough.

- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Yeah I'm not QC member, but I think Choice Band deserves a set as well. With Outrage/Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Poison Jab or Fire Blast it still IMO works.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Both Choice Band and Choice Scarf are ok in my book. The Choice Band set is not easily walled and the Scarf set is a good revenge killer, while both sets have their ways around Fairy-types.

Jolly non mega garchomp outspeeds jolly 252 base 100 speed pokemon with 240 EVs in speed so you could run
16 HP 252 attack 240 speed instead of 4/252/252

(if im missing something correct me because this was a thought that just occurred to me and i havent looked too deeply into it)

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
Jolly non mega garchomp outspeeds jolly 252 base 100 speed pokemon with 240 EVs in speed so you could run
16 HP 252 attack 240 speed instead of 4/252/252

(if im missing something correct me because this was a thought that just occurred to me and i havent looked too deeply into it)
Noted, though if it takes that many EVs to outrun a Jolly Base 100 then I'd probably just run max and max at that point, so I'll put in 252/252 as an additional option in the comments.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
There's no point in mentioning Talonflame in the set comments of the Choice Scarf set because it outspeeds you anyway. That said, you should probably mention somewhere that Garchomp's incredible bulk let's it naturally check prominent Pokemon (such as Talonflame, Aigislash, non-HP Ice Blaziken, etc)

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
Written up, ready for last check.

Edited in alexwolf's and ShootingStarmie's changes

Ready for GP

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
"<li>There are many items that are useful to Garchomp, but only one can be used.</li>"

I dunno if I like this in the cons section, as this can generally apply to all offensive Pokemon. I'd delete it.

Apart from that, I like this. Looks good man.

QC APPROVED 3/3

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
On its Pros, mention that its STABs get perfect neutral coverage except from Togekiss, Bronzong, and Skarmory.

Also, i would replace the mentions of Haxorus and Salamence with more relevant Dragons such as Goodra, Zygarde, and Mega Charizard X. Or you could just say that Garchomp is the fastest Dragon-type available, mitigating its Dragon weakness, as Dragon moves are only used by Dragon-types.

There are many items that are useful to Garchomp, but only one can be used.
This is not a con, it's an advantage and it is called versatility.

Change the set comments of the first set to accommodate for the changes on the moveset. You don't talk anywhere about Dragon Claw or Stone Edge. Make sure to stress that getting locked into Outrage means that you will get revenge killed by Fairy-types.

Give a small mention of Life Orb in the set comments of the first set.

On the scarf set, mention +1 Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X as a Pokemon that Scarf Garchomp can outspeed and OHKO, while also being able to switch into 3/4 of its moveset.

Scarf Set said:
Outrage, while stronger, can be a bit risker to use due to Pokemon like Togekiss, Florges, and Sylveon being able to set-up.
Those Pokemon would usually just OHKO Pokemon with Fairy moves, as only Togekiss can set up, so make sure to mention that they can either OHKO back or set up in Togekiss's case.

Also, when talking about Mega Gengar as a partner, add how it can eliminate Fairy-types so that Scarf Garchomp can clean up late-game.

Change the set comments of the Choice Band set to match the current moveset, as you have mentioned moves that have been removed, namely Fire Blast, and don't talk at all about some of the main moves. When talking about Rotom-W as a partner to CB Garchomp, mention how it deals with the two best counters to Garchomp, Skarmory and Hippowdon. Also, add a partner that can deal with the hazards that Skarmory and Hippowdon can setup, such as Taunt + Defog Crobat.

On the first set of Mega Garchomp, move Swords Dance to the first slot and remove Fire Blast, as with Fire Blast the set is inferior to the mixed Mega Garchomp set. Also, move EQ to the second slot, Dragon Claw / Outrage to the third, and Stone Edge on the last slot. Remove Iron Head, it doesn't hit anything harder than any of the other moves. Stress Smooth Rock Hippowdon as a teammate for both Mega Garchomp sets.

On the Mega Garchomp mixed set mention that EQ followed up by Draco Meteor 2HKOes physically defensive Hippowdon.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
the og [[NEVER MESS WITH THE BOSS]]
[Pros]

<ul>
<li>A strong base 130 Attack coupled with a solid STAB combination that is only resisted by Skarmory and Bronzong, though Togekiss is immune to both.</li>
<li>Access to Swords Dance, allowing it to sweep many defensively oriented teams that lack Speed.</li>
<li>Base 102 Speed allows it to outpace other Dragons such as Goodra, Zygarde, and Mega Charizard X.</li>
<li>Very respectable bulk, which allows it to deal with prominent threats such as Talonflame, Aegislash, and non-Hidden Power Ice Blaziken.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Still prone to being checked by faster threats such as Greninja, Starmie, and Noivern.</li>
<li>Mega Garchomp's Speed is a bit lower than regular Garchomp, so it can be outsped by anything base 95 Speed and higher.</li>
<li>Mega Garchomp is susceptible to status and Ice-type moves as it can only hold Garchompite.</li>
<li>Sand Stream nerf makes it more difficult for Mega Garchomp to get boosts from Sand Force</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

Jolly Nature<br />
- Swords Dance<br />
- Earthquake<br />

<ul>
<p>Swords Dance Garchomp plays very similar to Garchomp sets from previous generations. Thanks to its bulk and unique Speed stat, Garchomp has many opportunities to use Swords Dance, then proceed to rip through an opponent's entire team. Earthquake and Dragon Claw are hard-hitting STAB moves, and are the primary sweeping moves after a Swords Dance, and provide handy coverage against the majority of the metagame. Outrage can be considered over Dragon Claw, but is risky to use due to the prominence of Fairy-types such as Togekiss and Florges. To round off Garchomp's coverage, Fire Fang can help against Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory. On the other hand, Stone Edge helps Garchomp hit Togekiss for respectable damage.</p>

<p>Yache Berry is used to ensure that faster Pokemon with Ice-type moves such as Starmie and Greninja cannot revenge kill or check Garchomp entirely. Lum Berry is used so that moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Spore, Toxic, or Scald do not interfere with setting up Swords Dance. Additionally, if Garchomp still has Lum Berry when it Outrages, it can recover itself from confusion and sweep for another round. Life Orb can be used for some extra power, but Yache and Lum Berry are generally more useful as they provide Garchomp more security in setting up and sweeping.</p>

<p>Pokemon like Rotom-W can deal with Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Togekiss, Skarmory, and Starmie, while also providing some Volt Switch momentum that can sometimes allow Garchomp to get a free set-up on Pokemon. Scizor also helps by providing U-turn momentum while providing priority to pick off Weavile and Mamoswine; Swords Dance variants can also prove helpful in eliminating Ferrothorn.</p>
</ul>

<p>Garchomp @ Choice Scarf<br />
Naive Nature<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Stone Edge<br />
- Fire Blast<br /></p>

<p>Scarf Garchomp is still capable of threatening many sweepers in the game, such as Volcarona, opposing Garchomp, Starmie, Noivern, Mega Charizard X, and Dragonite to name a few. In particular, Scarf Garchomp can switch into a +1 Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X and revenge kill. Garchomp functions well as a revenge killer thanks to its unique 102 Base Speed, and can come in as a way to prevent the opponent from sweeping with a fast Pokemon. Earthquake helps against most common threats that are not immune to Earthquake, while Dragon Claw is useful against opposing Dragon-types. Outrage, while stronger, can be a bit risker to use due to Pokemon like Togekiss, Florges, and Sylveon being able to set-up or OHKO. Stone Edge is useful against Volcarona as well as Togekiss, while Fire Blast is useful for hitting Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory, both of which are very common.</p>

<p>Because Choice Garchomp can be easily exploited, trappers such as Mega Gengar or Magnezone are nice to have in order to eliminate Steel-types and Fairy-types such as Togekiss, or other Pokemon that would otherwise wall it such as Hippowdon and Gliscor.</p>

<p>Garchomp @ Choice Band<br />
Jolly Nature<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Stone Edge<br />
- Fire Fang<br /></p>

<p>This set plays rather differently from Choice Scarf Garchomp, as Band Garchomp trades revenge killing capabilities for brute force. Earthquake and Dragon Claw serve as primary coverage while Stone Edge and Fire Fang cover for Togekiss and opposing Steel-types that Earthquake cannot handle. This set is especially decent for teams looking to punch holes into an opponent's defense, leaving other set-up Pokemon to sweep afterwards.</p>

</p>Gengar makes a great teammate for Garchomp because it can deal with Hippowdon and Gliscor rather well, and also has the option to Mega Evolve and trap other threats with Shadow Tag if need be. This is especially useful against Pokemon such as Skarmory who would otherwise be able to switch in and out of Garchomp rather easily. Rotom-W makes a decent teammate as well as it can Volt Switch after luring in physically weak Pokemon, such as Blissey, giving Garchomp an opportunity to attack the opponent. Furthermore, it is capable of handling both Hippowdon and Skarmory, two of Garchomp's most common responses. Lastly, Pokemon that can prevent Hippowdon and Skarmory from setting up such as Taunt + Defog Crobat make decent teammates as your opponent will be unable to fully capitalize on the free turns given from switching Garchomp out. </p>

[Mega Evolution Recommendations and Play]

EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe <br />
Jolly Nature<br />
- Swords Dance <br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Dragon Claw<br />
- Stone Edge<br />
<br /></p>

<ul>
<p>Mega Garchomp works best on sand teams as a late-game clean-up, thanks to its ability Sand Force. However, it is also more susceptible to status and Ice-type moves as it must hold Garchompite, so it should only be brought in when it is guaranteed to tank a hit or kill effortlessly. Again, Dragon Claw and Earthquake are the main forms of offense: Earthquake in particular hits very hard under Sandstorm, while Dragon Claw is generally preferred over Outrage as Garchomp cannot rely on Lum Berry to cure confusion. Furthermore, neutral, Sand Force-boosted Earthquake also hits about as hard as Outrage under sand. By extension, Stone Edge gets a boost under Sandstorm as well, and can be used to take down the Flying-types such as Togekiss that completely walls Garchomp otherwise. </p>

<p>The Speed EVs allow for Garchomp to outspeed maximum investment, neutral natured 100 Base Speed Pokemon such as Salamence and Volcarona, and everything under it including Rotom-W, Adamant Lucario, Gyarados, and Mamoswine. If you choose to use Fire Blast over Swords Dance, you may want to consider going mixed with Draco Meteor over Outrage [[I highlighted this mainly because you may mean DClaw? IDK, but Outrage isn't on the set anymore]] while running a Naive nature to put more pressure on physically bulky Pokemon such as Gliscor and Hippowdon. Lastly, a simple 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd spread can work to outspeed Jolly Base 100 Speed Pokemon, but loses out on a little bulk</p>

<p> Teammates that help set up sandstorm such as Tyranitar and Hippowdon are necessary to utilize Mega Garchomp to its fullest extent; Assault Vest Tyranitar in particular works great against dealing with Togekiss and Starmie, while Smooth Rock Hippowdon can help Garchomp utilize Sand Force more effectively due to the prolonged duration of Sandstorm. Pokemon like Ferrothorn that can take on Starmie and lay out some entry hazards as well is also appreciated.</p>
</ul>

EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe <br />
Naughty Nature<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Draco Meteor<br />
- Fire Blast<br />
- Stone Edge<br /></p>

<ul>
<p>With a notable increase in Special Attack, Mega Garchomp can run a mixed set that can quickly threaten teams without having to use Swords Dance to set up. This set provides instant offense in the form of Earthquake and Draco Meteor, as the Sand Force boost will nearly 2HKO anything that does not resist Earthquake. Draco Meteor helps Garchomp handle otherwise common switch-ins such as Gliscor and Hippowdon, which hits very hard despite the minimal investment in Special Attack. Physically defensive Hippowdon, for example, is 2HKOed by a Sand Force Earthquake + Draco Meteor. Fire Blast and Stone Edge round out Garchomp's coverage, as Fire Blast is used to hit Ferrothorn and Skarmory, while Stone Edge allows Garchomp to hit Togekiss for respectable damage, especially under Sandstorm.</p>

<p>Tyranitar and Smooth Rock Hippowdon are extremely important in order for Mega Garchomp to hit its hardest, as Sand Force is one of Mega Garchomp's main selling points. Ferrothorn works well with laying entry hazards out for Garchomp to sweep, and can switch into Starmie and Greninja that lack Hidden Power Fire. Rotom-W can also help against Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Gliscor, while also resisting Ice Shard from the likes of Mamoswine and Weavile.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Togekiss walls Garchomp unless it is running Stone Edge, as it is immune to both Dragon- and Ground-type attacks. Pokemon such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn can help with Garchomp to an extent, but must always be wary of Fire Fang or Fire Blast -- both of which are extremely common on Garchomp.</p>

<p>Checking Garchomp is a bit easier, as Pokemon such as Greninja, Starmie, Mamoswine, and Weavile can check it to an extent with a fast Ice-type move, whether it be an Ice Beam or a priority move in Ice Shard. Choice Scarf-using threats such as Moxie Salamence can also threaten Garchomp quite a bit.</p>
Never mess with DONCHOMP

GP Approved

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I'm going to check into Stealth Rock Chomp. One of my friends said he bred it on. Shouldn't take long to test.

Excuse the dumb question, but how does Garchomp even get Outrage this generation? I went to do research to start breeding mine and can't find how I would go about getting it.

Are we sure it's a legal move?

Bleh I was looking at a bad source that said it was tutored only, my bad. Thank you. A mod can delete this exchange if they would like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)