[COMPLETED] Pinsir

Doesn't Close Combat|Stone Edge have merit over Return?
Since Mega_Pinsir is a late game sweeper more or less, it doesn't really need Return. That move is just overkill to be honest. Quick Attack is essentially a Flying-Type Extremespeed. And we've all seen that damage SD+ES Lucario can do late-game.
In place of Return we could give him Close Combat to hit certain things like Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Tyranitar hard(er).
Stone Edge would help alleviate his issues against things like Togekiss and Dragonite would could otherwise set-up and KO.

I feel like on a late-game sweeper like mega_pinsir, a powerful move that provides him with poor coverage is kind of a hindrance. It's like giving Lucario an extremely powerful Fighting type Priority move AND Close Combat. Except Flying has slightly worse coverage.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
You do realize that Aerilate Return has ~199 BP factoring STAB, which is almost as powerful as SE Stone Edge, except with 100% accuracy...

I'd like to ask what Mold Breaker brings to the table for Pinsir. You can kill Gengars and Rotoms on the switch, but you can normally just SD up and OHKO them before they can do anything anyway. I only see choice scarf Rotom as the real problem, and that's far less common than other variants. I'm sure there are some things I'm missing, but still.
On the other hand, while Moxie still wouldn't be incredibly useful, it could certainly come into play more often than Mold Breaker.

Mold breaker is the only way to ohko rotom, aerilate return only does like half. Considering that rotoms are everywhere, it's worth considering

Donphan should be added to the list of possible checks/counters. A max attack donphan takes 50-60%, yes, but it OHKOes with a rock move (and has Sturdy/Rapid Spin/Roar for even more trouble). A fully defensive one could probably be a solid switch-in.
If donphan takes 50- 60 percent from an attsck from mega pinsir, thats not called a counter considering it still takes that much.

Might seem weird but Feint can be used to beat faster priority users, namely talonflame. Feint is a 30 BP normal move (becomes flying) with +2 priority effectively beating gale wings brave bird. Adamant mega-pinsir has a 100% chance to 0HKO the 92 hp/0 def Talonflame after rocks, where jolly leads to a coin flip kill chance after rocks doing 46.2 - 54.6%. It means a significant loss in power though and relies on rocks.

Should probably take 4 EVs from HP and put it into Def or Sp.Def, puts your HP to an odd number, optimizing for Stealth Rock damage if needed

I'd recommend a 4 move attacking set with Moxie. By using Swords Dance and using both Quick Attack and Return, you only have one other coverage option. With Moxie, Pinsir has the ability to revenge something, get a boost, and you have another attack before and after activating your Mega Stone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)