Comunity Create-A-Team Discussion topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is not the official CCAT topic. This is just a topic to name pokemon that you would find CCAT worthy. After everyone has given their say, someone can make the official poll topic and we can be well on their way.

Example:
I'm proposing that we focus our CCAT around Swords Dance Scyther
Reasoning: Fast speed and Brutal power make it a capable pokemon.

I'll keep track of pokemon proposed with a list, and at the end of the nomination period I can give said list to the poll thread creator.

Nominated pokemon:

-Specs Venomoth (Toxic Spikes Absorber, good coverage, good speed)
-Swords Dance Absol (Difficult to wall, good coverage, Counter's Stall)
-DD Lapras (Sets up on Bulky waters, great bulk + 101 subs, good offensive STAB)

-Dual Weather (New concept, difficult to counter)
-Toxic Orb Clefable (Good neutral coverage, difficult to kill once it's taken down)
-Agility/SD Kingler (Excellent neutral coverage
with Crab Hammer/ Return)
-Mixed Magmortar (Fantastic wall breaker and incredible power)
-Life Orb Sharpedo (A powerful threat that crushed both offensive and stall teams)
-Rock Polish Torterra (Ideal sweeper, easy to set up and is very difficult to stop)
-SD Quick Feet Ursaring (Incredibly power after one turn of setup with a 140 Base STAB move)
-Sub SD Feraligatr (Sub SD + Torrent, Salac berry and priority)
-Curse Miltank (Poses as a team player and offensive threat at the same time.)
-SubRoost Moltres (Incredible staller and very difficult to beat once it's set up)
-Calm Mind Chesto Rest Drifblim (Bulky and easy to set up, and sits at 1+ speed after a rest)
-SubCharge Manectric (Beats down FWG with ease, it's got incredible speed backed by good SpA)
- SD Kabutops (Still a powerful threat outside rain, it can be trouble some for offensive and stall team's alike)

Specs Venomoth:
- Toxic Spikes Absorbing
- Can hit everything in UU Neutral with Sludge Bomb/Bug Buzz
- Decent Speed (306)

-Swords Dance Absol-

pros:
-Isn't walled by anything other than Weezing after an SD (take 70-80% from Night Slash)
-Can hit everything neutral with just two moves (Superpower and Night Slash/Sucker Punch)
-Has that well known ability to break UU Stall and hamper offense with its two STABs alone.
-Can OHKO its 'counter' Hitmontop (both bulky and techni) with either Superpower or Sucker Punch after a little previous damage and a SD.
-Isn't that common anymore either

cons:
-Difficult to set up (I've found a way through that, though, and I'm sure everyone else can)
-Has trouble with "random" Substitute users, and I don't mean things like Mismagius which can be somewhat easily played around with prediction. I'm talking about stuff like SubBlackBelt Hitmonlee and things like that.

I would love to host this, as I have experience with the first 2 CCAT projects that were held in Stark last year. I also posted both of the teams for them as well!

For my nomination:

DD Lapras:
- Can come in for free on common pokemon like Milotic and Azumarill to set up.
- Has great bulk and can make 101 subs if needed.
- Has a great offensive stab combination along with Return whcih hits everything in UU for neutral damage.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a concept I want to nominate instead: Dual weather. Yes, I know I was proposing this two testing periods ago (Raikou & Froslass IIRC), but I never got around to making a serious team with it.
The idea is to have both Sunny Day and Rain Dance. To play it, you basically introduce one kind of weather and give your opponent the impression that you are using that kind of team. Since the counters to Sunny Day and Rain Dance are very different to each other, you can use one type of weather so your opponent frantically sac's all irrelevant Pokemon to that weather (Under the impression that your team is such), and then quickly change the pace to your second weather type with its counters destroyed. For example, you can start off using Sunny Day, and your opponent would not keep Milotic, since it would get steam-rolled by a Sunny Day team. Your opponent would probably sac it, then bring your Rain Dancer and take advantage of the weakened or dead Milotic. This can also work vice versa.

EDIT: btw PK, franky was supposed to start this, but whatever.

I want to nominate Toxic Orb Calm Mind Clefable, mainly for its ability to set up on most of the current top threats in todays metagame. It also has perfect neutral coverage in UU with BoltBeam. Any team without a STAB fighting move is screwed. It's like Cradily but doesn't require sandstorm!

I support the Dual Weather concept. Also, I believe that there should be a reliable Topic Leader of whom people can vote on.

Ive ran duel weather teams sucessfully hit about 1450 on ladder or something then got bored of it

But i would like to see a SD/Mix sceptile with superb movepool base 120 speed and 85/105 base atk and Satk can hit will from both ends access the Swords Dance and ability to subseed its a often overlooked and big threat in UU

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sorry Shrang I didn't know. But basically this isn't the the official CCAT topic, just a nomination topic/discussion topic so we don't clutter up the megathread. We can pick our CCAT leader at a later time too.

Franky can really get the ball rolling with the official topic.

PS: I'll be out for the day so I won't be able to respond to many of your posts today. I'll get to it when I come back.

Damn, kd24 beat me to the Venomoth nomination...

In that case, I nominate Agility/SD Kingler, brought to my attention by Alexa's Analysis.

Essentially, excellent neutral coverage in Return/Crabhammer with these two support moves allows Kingler to be adept in muscling through Stall with SD and crushing faster, frailer teams with an Agility. Hyper cutter is the icing on the cake.

In terms of team support, Dual screens could allow for multiple boosts, and lures for bulkier grass and water types will be needed to enable the crab to get past Milotic, Tangrowth and the like, as well as hazard support.

I nominate Mixed Magmotar arguably one of the best wall breakers in the tier, Mixed Magmotar can break through almost any wall with Fire Blast,Thunderbolt,Cross Chop, and Hidden Power Ice.

Dual weather is a dumb concept. It's not like they have any synergy, and the only reason a team like that will win is because of surprise factor. Too bad that every single person on this forum will be able to look at the team.

We should focus on a reliable Pokemon that is hard to stop even if you know its there. I support SD Absol, but I want to suggest a couple Pokemon first.

1) Life Orb Sharpedo

This set breaks through most offensive teams and does a hefty amount of damage to stall teams. It's also awesome.

2) Rock Polish Torterra

Is it even possible to find a more reliable sweeper? I think it's about time people realize how deadly this monster is, and the best part about it is that it's easy to make a team around. I mean CCAT's can turn into retarded clusterfucks (I would know), and this makes it quite straightforward and easy to agree upon.

I propose a Toxic Spikes abuse team. I want to try this because virtually no one uses it because of Venusaur and Drapion. I think this could be succesful because some of the biggest defensive pokemon are effected by TSpikes: Milotic and Tangrowth. This does not need to be a stall team. Offensive teams can take advantage if weakened walls to sweep.

I propose SD Quick Feet Ursaring. After one turn of set up, you find yourself with:
  • +2 Attack
  • +1 Speed
  • an 140BP STAB attack.
Catches many opponents off guard, as the switch in thinking they will outspeed you as you Swords Dance. With Close Combat and Crunch, it can beat the Rock, Steel and Ghost types who think they can get in for free.

However, even at +1, it isn't amazingly fast, and Toxic Orb is often its downfall.

EDIT: Of course, I second Agility/SD Kingler

I nominate Mixed Magmotar arguably one of the best wall breakers in the tier, Mixed Magmotar can break through almost any wall with Fire Blast,Thunderbolt,Cross Chop, and Hidden Power Ice.
I aprove of this.

I'd also like to nominate Choice Band Ambipom. Technician combined with u turn, pursuit, good speed and attack and coverage. Hits hard and is good for scouting.

I propose a Toxic Spikes abuse team. I want to try this because virtually no one uses it because of Venusaur and Drapion. I think this could be succesful because some of the biggest defensive pokemon are effected by TSpikes: Milotic and Tangrowth. This does not need to be a stall team. Offensive teams can take advantage if weakened walls to sweep.
Toxic Spikes with a poison type as #1 is not a good idea for a CCAT, especially when people know it's there. They will automatically start conserving their poison-type because of the public nature of the CCAT.

I would nominate Aggron... but hey, Aggron had it's own CCAT before (for OU. Still...).

So, i nominate this poke:

Sub SD Feraligatr.

I really like the concept of this set. Sub down, Salac kicks in, Gatr gets Torrent boost...
It can even try and avoid priority users with Waterfall+Aqua Jet... if you want to. There's always Return for coverage issues.

I mentioned these in the megathread, so I'm copying some of my words here:

Curse/Heal Bell Miltank

Curse / Body Slam / Heal Bell / Milk Drink, with Scrappy and most of the EV's in HP and Special Defense. It provides tons of team support (paralysis, Heal Bell, countering) and is also a highly underrated sweeper that can rape physically-oriented teams.

It's one of those pokemon who, when you're losing badly, you will say, "well as long as I still have Miltank I still have a chance". Also, I think it would be good on a CCAT because it is versatile enough to fit on a variety of teams.It will need help to sweep, which is where team support comes in, but it also supplies a lot of support on it's own, so there are plenty of options for teammates. I think both of those attributes would streamline the CCAT process if we did choose Miltank.

SubRoost Moltres

Has outstanding potential in addition to a crippling weakness that needs addressing with team support - seems like a perfect CCAT poke for me. Only problem is flooding the ladder with SubRoost Moltres might cause so much raging that shoddy will get confused and d/c everyone.

I've got to agree with Torterra... Rock Polish and Sub are the variants that look most interesting to me; I've never actually built a Torterra utilizing team, as I like Sextile so much, but opponents have used the powerful turtle in very deadly ways.
but a combination of the ease of building a Torterra based team, his multiple powerful sets, and his relative low usage contrasting his actual strength makes me want to see a team based upon him.

Damn, beaten to Ursaring.

Nomination: Calm Mind Rest Drifblim

Reasons: Bulky, surprise factor, Easy to set up, attains perfect coverage with two moves

Better ones up there, though.

Also, if we nominate a stalling machine like SubRoost Moltres, I will ragequit life.

J'approve Sd-Quick Feet Ursaring parce qu'il est fast and strong. Also, it has very few counters (spiritomb), and always takes SOMETHING down (or heavily dents a bunch of stuff), even with prediction. And yes, it is awesome.

Also, Life Orb Sharpedo is a great wallbreaker and takes a ton of stuff down, or heavily dents a bunch of stuff, as long as you can switch in. Also, it doesn't need to set up. And yes, it is awesome.

Finally, Specs Venomoth is the Specs Yanmega of UU. Trap Chansey with Dugtrio, and it can wreck stall teams. It also has nice switches into Grass and Fighting. And yes, it is awesome.

This is like a wishlist. I could prolly run a bunch of these in a team right now. And yes, it would be AWESOME.

Rock Polish Torterra has been used against me, and it's amazing how powerful and diverse he is. He would make an excellent candidate in my opinion, he's a titanic threat and has synergy with TONS of Pokemon.

seconding miltank. scoopapa basically covered all of the reasons; however, i want to emphasize that it seems like miltank will be a very good ccat pokemon because it is easy to theorymon a miltank sweep, sort of like theorymoning a crocune sweep is relatively easy in ou. this means lots of miltanks teammates will have solid theoretical grounding, which is a plus for the ccat process since it means very logical and precise arguments can be used to justify changes or additions. at the same time, it's not like there is a "standard" list of curse miltank teammates, and there are a wide range of pokemon in uu who can perform similar duties. this means there should be lots of breadth in addition to depth.

the quality of arguments will probably be the main inherent challenge of any ccat, and anything that franky can do (including pokemon choice) to encourage higher quality posts should be a main goal.

edit: i'm not too familiar with the cap process, but i think the cap topic leader has executive power over all decisions regarding a specific cap? maybe some executive power could be combined with polls to produce the final result for each stage of the team. not sure if franky is up for all that work though.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
LO Manectric. I don't have much more to say about this because it's epic. It can severely decimate the FWG core and destroy slower teams, but it still needs support as far as eliminating scarfers, Chansey, Clefable, and other dedicated special walls. One of the very few viable Electric types in the tier (Rotom, Raichu).

Here are some fun calcs.

LO Flamethrower versus offensive 'saur (unboosted): 77.1% - 91%
KO some of the time with rocks, KO all of the time with rocks and spikes or if it switched into any other move first.

+1 (Charge Beam) LO Flamethrower versus Support (252/176 Careful) Saur: 73.1% - 86.3%
If it switches into Stealth Rock and takes a Charge Beam hit and you grab the boost, you can KO with Flamethrower.

+1 LO Thunderbolt versus 252/40 Calm Milotic: 96.2% - 113.5%
Yes, it needs a boost to ohko Calm Milotic. How depressing is that?

LO Thunderbolt versus 4/0 Arcanine: 65.4% - 76.9%
Small chance of a kill after rocks, guaranteed with a bit of damage. If it switches in on even Flamethrower (assuming it's not FF), you can KO it.

+1 LO Thunderbolt versus 252/0 Arcanine: 81.5% - 96.4%
Guaranteed kill.

Basically you just need to finish off something with Charge Beam and grab a boost, and opposing teams will be very hard pressed to stop you. Your 4th slot can either be HP Grass (Rhyperior/Donphan) or Substitute for protection against Duggy and priority. Note that Manectric hits base 105 Speed, meaning very little can outrun it, and it actually ties with those newfangled adamant dugtrio/modest kazam.

Basically this is a pokemon that needs team support to do its best but works well without it, and doesn't rely on surprise value to get kills. Probably perfect for a CCAT.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Most nominations here seem to be more of "I've used pokemon X on my team and it worked very well so I guarantee you guys should make a team around it, you won't be dissapointed" or "use pokémon X that's outclassed by pokémon Y in almost every single way unless your opponent doesn't know what he's up against". With my rant of always being on the table, I'd support either Manectric (I've faced it recently and can attest to how an well played one is hard to take down, especially because of Flamethrower) and Milktank (another mon that seems to be an awesome support pokémon, especially for more offensive teams that can't afford to run mons like Chansey but still need a Cleric).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)