Conspiracy theories

My post was meant to be taken literally.

Though what makes you feel that you, and you alone, are the expert on terrorism more than anyone else on Smogon?
No, I am not the expert on terrorism then anyone else. There are people who probably may know better then me, but not has spoken up yet. And what makes you say this? All I ask is couple of opinions on why the terrorists strike. There are people who ALWAYS have more knowledge then you, so I think we should cancel this comment.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I wonder what it is in people that makes them accept the idea that the government is always corrupt, or if you kill yourself in a certain way it will send you to heaven, or whatever. What is the desire in people that makes them want to believe in something, even if it makes no rational sense? I'm not just talking religion, although I suppose that might be a factor. There must be something in the human psyche that makes people want to believe in something, whatever that may be - whether its conspiracy theories, or alien abductions, or the belief in a deity, or even in extra-dimensional being controlling the elite of the world to do their bidding. That last one is proposed by someone called David Icke, and if you think most conspiracies are weird, he takes the cake.

I think it's the faith in a higher power or an underlying reason behind everything; a reason for everything that happens. It's a feeling of control, and being certain that the world makes sense. That, I believe is why we have faith.

I think it's the faith in a higher power or an underlying reason behind everything; a reason for everything that happens. It's a feeling of control, and being certain that the world makes sense. That, I believe is why we have faith.
i agree, people always like to think that they have the big picture figured out. i also think conspiracies are thought as a sort of excuse for things happening, like my friend thinking aids was created by americans to eliminate the african continent. or it could be that everyone has an underlying jealousy to be in charge

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Something that was brought up when I discussed this on IRC with a few folks is that people tend to see connections and patterns in events that are on the surface apparently unconnected. There is a heavy element of people trying to make some sort of sense out of the unknown. Maybe its a flaw in how our brains work that makes these sorts of conspiracies and the leaps of 'logic' that the people who propose them seem plausible. And many of them do seem plausible on the surface, but even if you look further into a conspiracy the natural tendency to make connections starts to surface.

Another point that wasn't discussed, but seems a good one to bring up is that many of these conspiracies suggest some sort of shadow government, operating the puppets that we see from behind the scenes. The implication is that these people are so self-serving, so ruthless and so organised as to mastermind these sometimes global conspiracies.

Some conspiracies suggest there are centuries long plans for people to follow, and that long established families with lots of power, money and influence like the Rockerfellers, the Rothschilds and others are the real power behind the power, and as such they have a master plan that is known only to the few elite and that is slowly dispensed over many decades or centuries, in both overt and subtle ways, in order to bring about a world where the elite are in control of a small but manageable population (one suggestion is that they want a world population of around half a billion, and they point to something called the American Stonehenge, which has this figure literally written in stone). This suggests a level of organisation and single-mindedness that is very rare among one person, let alone a whole family or small cluster of families.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)